Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
Tank Destroyers - progress reports please!
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 3,172 posts
Armorama: 2,495 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 11:12 AM UTC
Francois
Watch those kit tracks Years ago I had built the Tamiya Jagdpanther I went to put on the tracks and they broke They are to tight I had to buy the Tamiya individual Panther tracks
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 2,412 posts
Armorama: 1,174 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 11:55 AM UTC
chad, after spending 50 bucks for a kit i dont see how a company can give tracks that are to darn small! if they realy are to tigh maybe i could traffic the tracks a little, were they will attach at the bottom i could maybe cut them and add the individual links?

Frank
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 3,172 posts
Armorama: 2,495 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 11:59 AM UTC
Frank
You may want to try and stretch the kit tracks out gently if you can before you glue the ends together Ask on the armor forums if anyone has done that and how they did that
Angela
Visit this Community
Visayas, Philippines
KitMaker: 853 posts
Armorama: 514 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 02:06 PM UTC
I'm starting on my sdkfz 164 Nashorn from Dragon.

This is the first time I'll be using aftermarket products with the kit.

I have assembled the lower hull and part of the fighting compartment. I have also made the photoetched shell containers that go along the sides of the vehicle.

Pretty much work to be done.

Angela
Tiger101
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 902 posts
Armorama: 628 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 02:29 PM UTC
The Jagdpanzer IV A-O is coming along. Its ready for drybrushing. Photos coming this weekend! Its a really nice build. The fit is perfect so far.
kbm
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 678 posts
Armorama: 448 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 31, 2005 - 09:48 AM UTC
Here are some pictures of my old Dragon Nashorn kit. The upper hull is not yet glued. Since I took these pictures, I made a great deal of progress over the holiday weekend and I will try to post more pictures later this week.

Keith
DutchBird
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,144 posts
Armorama: 526 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 31, 2005 - 10:05 AM UTC
Hi Angela,

if you go to http://www.track-link.net/blogs/13 you'll find the build-log of James Tainton which he kept while building the DML Hornisse (basically the same vehicle as you probably know). This might be of help to you.

Word of warning, I have the Hornisse, and it's instructions do contain a few important errors. So does the new Nashorn (nr 6166). Here on PMMS they have them pointed out. Some are obvious, some not so obvious (at least were not to me).

I hope this helps...

---------------------------------------------------

Dear sir,

I have deposed Heinrich, and now suddenly progress is there.. a little pressure and oil adn things get running again. However, I am still not able to say that construction has started. What I can say though is that some of the parts are en route between Paris and here... others are still in Poland, but the order went out. Also, I am happy to say that finally some illustrations have been delivered by the mail. Now my engineers can talk them over and come up with improvements...

Klaus....

Or in normal speak: construction has not been started yet. Parts are on their way though. I finally recieved the Heimdal book on 21st Panzer, and it includes some beautiful pictures of the Marder I.

I hope to start construction in two weeks, when I get three months of vacation...

So far I see some very good looking vehicles....

Cheers,

Harm.
warthog
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 1,460 posts
Armorama: 1,080 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 31, 2005 - 10:51 AM UTC
Just finished making the tracks (right side) for the Elefant last night...below is the link to my previous update...
ELEFANT-TD Entry pt.4

Just curious, how come there is no docket for the the Tank Destroyer Campaign?

Cheers
Martinnnn
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 5,435 posts
Armorama: 2,762 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 31, 2005 - 10:06 PM UTC
Keith, your Narshorn is coming along nicely....keep going!

Martin
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,242 posts
Armorama: 286 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 12:36 AM UTC
Hi there Martin well i can tell you that i've just finished my Marder II D from Alan, unfortunally i don't have a camera so i couldn't take pics from this model while building it together know i'm busy with the L/61 from Trumpeter (their newest outstanding kit) and i'have asked a good friend of me to take some pics from this model, but actually i had planned the Marder II D for this campaign are you agree or is it not allowed without pics in progress,
greetz from the south
Eric
Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 12:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi there Martin well i can tell you that i've just finished my Marder II D from Alan, unfortunally i don't have a camera so i couldn't take pics from this model while building it together know i'm busy with the L/61 from Trumpeter (their newest outstanding kit) and i'have asked a good friend of me to take some pics from this model, but actually i had planned the Marder II D for this campaign are you agree or is it not allowed without pics in progress,
greetz from the south
Eric

Well if you don't have a cam of your own it's hard to take pics while building.

No problem for me, I believe you if you say you built this Marder during the campaign!

Martin

edit: you can also come to my place if you want I can take pics for you
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 02:08 AM UTC
Excuse me Martin i'd made a mistake i actually do have a picture of this kit see..............................

groetjes / greetz
Eric
Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 02:16 AM UTC
But you're already finished by now right?

Martin
KitMaker: 4,303 posts
Armorama: 1,051 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 02:59 AM UTC
Hey Eric, just join in with both models and you have not any problem at all :-)

Paul

What am I saying... I even haven't touched my Marder for this campaign....
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 08:11 AM UTC
Hi Martin yep i'm already finished with my Marder II D, but you know what i make two entry's for this campaign it's no problem because i already started with my L/61 project from Trumpeter (maybe this is a good kit for you too Martin and the price is around 15,00 euro, also thanx for the offer that you will take pics of my models but i'm a little afraid for my models to take them into the train for traveling with because i don't have a car but maybe we can meet each other by "the Lancier" because i think i'm going to visit Rob in a few day's or weeks.
greetz Eric
Moezilla
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,161 posts
Armorama: 542 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 09:41 AM UTC
Paint question on a Marder III, I actually broke out the box and did more than just stare at it last night and started working on it. lol I'm still deciding how to paint it, whether to go with the relatively safe and straightforward German gray or to use the dark yellow. Would the yellow be fine on its own or does it need a cammo pattern? Just curious... thanks!
Angela
Visit this Community
Visayas, Philippines
KitMaker: 853 posts
Armorama: 514 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 01:59 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Angela,

if you go to http://www.track-link.net/blogs/13 you'll find the build-log of James Tainton which he kept while building the DML Hornisse (basically the same vehicle as you probably know). This might be of help to you.

Word of warning, I have the Hornisse, and it's instructions do contain a few important errors. So does the new Nashorn (nr 6166). Here on PMMS they have them pointed out. Some are obvious, some not so obvious (at least were not to me).

I hope this helps...

Thanks Dutchbird. This will really help me.

Angela
Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 06:08 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Paint question on a Marder III, I actually broke out the box and did more than just stare at it last night and started working on it. lol I'm still deciding how to paint it, whether to go with the relatively safe and straightforward German gray or to use the dark yellow. Would the yellow be fine on its own or does it need a cammo pattern? Just curious... thanks!

Well it doesn't NEED it. German tank crews received their tanks in dark yellow along with some buckets red brown and olive green paint and they had to apply camouflage the way they thought was right. So the camouflage really depends on the battlefield. In Russia, some vehicles were left in dark-yellow because that was just fine camouflage. (the dry & dusty areas) Also, new vehicles that just arrived could have been send into action without any camouflage paint because there was no time to paint them!

Towards the end of the war, camouflage paint wasn't fully available anymore. Tank crews started to camouflage their tanks with mud etc. Some even used uniform paint on their tanks. So a late war production vehicle (but I'm not sure if the marder was still produced that late in the war) could also just have it's dark yellow base colour.

Hope this helps.....

Martin
KitMaker: 4,303 posts
Armorama: 1,051 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 08:57 PM UTC
I agree with Martin on the colour issue!
Depends on what battlefield and what timeframe you want to model it.
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,272 posts
Armorama: 2,844 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 02, 2005 - 01:10 AM UTC
Still chugging along on the Jadg. The indy track links slow thing down a bit. Right side on and finished, left sides on and need one link. Upper hull 90% finished. Pictures will be up directly, if the sun comes out...
Jadgpanthers just scream "Tank Destroyer" to me. Get that rascal in hull down defilade and rock and roll...

Shaun
Easy_Co
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,933 posts
Armorama: 985 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 02, 2005 - 06:26 AM UTC
Reporting in, I got held up in the ardenne offensive but the enemy is repulsed and Im in full production of academys M10.The suspensions built and most of the interior will post some shots when its worth looking at.
Can i ask a question was the front of that vehicle cast ? not the glasis the bit below it, Transmission I think. Nice work done so far in the Campaign everybody
Moezilla
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,161 posts
Armorama: 542 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 02, 2005 - 07:30 AM UTC
Thanks for the info on the color issue, I think I will find a time frame that fits sticking with the standard yellow color. Of course weathering will help it look better and 'used', I'm just holding off on doing any cammo patterns until I actually fire up my AB for the first time and do some test runs on some junker kit. Don't want to go screwing up a campaign model. lol
Red4
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,287 posts
Armorama: 1,867 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 02, 2005 - 07:50 AM UTC
My ASU-57 is complete. As is my Tamiya M-10. Here are the pics of the ASU. M-10 pics to follow soon. Thanks. "Q" The white along the bottom run of the tracks is the white glue that wasn;t dry when I took the pic. oooops!
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, June 02, 2005 - 08:11 AM UTC
Well those are the kind of models I like. Rare, well built, painted and weathered. Great job mate, thanks for this campaign entry!

Ok, now that I have finished MSG, VE Day, Ardennes Offensive and Dive Dive Dive I'm gonna move on with the next campaigns, starting with Tank Destroyers (251/22) and Capture Aidid (HMMVW).

Martin
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,272 posts
Armorama: 2,844 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 02, 2005 - 01:40 PM UTC
Well, the sun never came out today in God's country so I had to take a marginal picture in the basement with a camera I am not familiar with. I am really liking this one.

Shaun