Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
Humvees-start your engines!-Official Thread
gbkirsch
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 627 posts
Armorama: 455 posts
Posted: Friday, July 21, 2006 - 12:42 AM UTC
Hey Rob,

I guess it's OK to build a random bagged Humvee kit I picked up at a hobby shop sale with no instructions, box or decals, right? I have no idea what it is except it has what I think is a TOW Missle launcher.

Gary :-)
Tobar
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 192 posts
Armorama: 96 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 12:40 AM UTC

I've picked up the Italera Desert Patrol M998 Hummer. I'd like to scratchbuild some updated Armor for it and possably make it look like a Gun Truck Platform..

With in the past few months, Armorama had a link to a website of an enlisted solder who worked for the Armys "Motor pull" of some sorts. He had pics of his conversion of said trucks to "Gun-Trucks...."

Anyone remember that site?
What is the Link?

I'd like to use it as a Ref. for my Hummer....

Any help is useful...
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 01:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey Rob,

I guess it's OK to build a random bagged Humvee kit I picked up at a hobby shop sale with no instructions, box or decals, right? I have no idea what it is except it has what I think is a TOW Missle launcher.

Gary :-)

I've probably got the kit and can scan and e-mail you instructions. Just send me a PM with the basic parts numbers (like the chassis is #__) and I can probably dig out the right kit instructions.
docdios
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,998 posts
Armorama: 1,236 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 01:20 AM UTC
hey this looks like fun how do i join in and where did i put that tamiya HUMMVEE

keith forsyth
gbkirsch
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 627 posts
Armorama: 455 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 04:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I've probably got the kit and can scan and e-mail you instructions. Just send me a PM with the basic parts numbers (like the chassis is #__) and I can probably dig out the right kit instructions.

I appreciate the offer Robin. I've already begun to build it and I am actually enjoying the challenge without instructions. I've found plenty of stuff online about this kit and Hummers in general so I'll let you know how I'm doing in a month or so.

Thanks again,
Gary K
Neo
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 916 posts
Armorama: 758 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 05:03 AM UTC
Too strange not to build...

Just picked up the Italeri Desert Patrol at the LHS for cheap, and got the Eastern GAZ w/ the ZSU-23 to top it off. Starting on it tonight.
troubble27
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 783 posts
Armorama: 637 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 05:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I've picked up the Italera Desert Patrol M998 Hummer. I'd like to scratchbuild some updated Armor for it and possably make it look like a Gun Truck Platform..

With in the past few months, Armorama had a link to a website of an enlisted solder who worked for the Armys "Motor pull" of some sorts. He had pics of his conversion of said trucks to "Gun-Trucks...."

Anyone remember that site?
What is the Link?

I'd like to use it as a Ref. for my Hummer....

Any help is useful...

The pictures you are looking for are on www.webshots.com. The author is "IrocArmy". Webshots has lots of OIF pictures with humvees . The link you are looking for is here........

http://community.webshots.com/album/126385014dopoRL

And here

http://community.webshots.com/album/124599660fVnKRb

Hope thats what you were referring to. Have fun.

Gary
Tobar
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 07:38 PM UTC
ABSOLUTLY PERFECT................

THANKS THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT I MEANT............

troubble27

ALL I CAN SAY IS "THANKS FOR THE ""TROUBLE-27""

spongya
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
KitMaker: 2,365 posts
Armorama: 1,709 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 09:52 PM UTC
Can I join? I'm building an Italery Humvee with civilian (yellow) paintjob. A "surplus" car put in civilian use.
Would that be acceptable? When is the end date?
USArmy2534
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,716 posts
Armorama: 1,864 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 10:02 PM UTC
Neo, I was wondering if anyone would get around to building that humvee. Good luck with it. Thats about the only image of that particular configuration, though I recall that there might be two or three more.

Just enlisted as I had planned to do, but hadn't gotten around to doing it. I am going all out converting Tamiya's M1046 (for the OIF parts and some other extra details) into an M1114 using Mig Productions kit. I am also looking for a cheap(er) set of MIG wheels and am waiting on a supplier to restock. I am adding parts from Blast Models weapons set (mainly front turret shield, smoke launchers, and weapons). Furthermore I am building the all-around turret armor from schematics that Epi provided me with (originally drawn up by SOPMOD1). Finally I will also be rummaging through my modern parts spares box and using parts going so generously by Joe Szczygielski (Mother).

If I get around to it, I want to turn this into my first dio. No plans on what it'll look like, but I do know I'll use Dragon's Modern Marines easily converted to Army guys and using sand given to me by Joe that came from Iraq.

So I have my work cut out for me, so I started last night building the undercarrage and converted the hood. It was pretty tricky, but as long as you constantly test fit it, it works out ok. I have images, but they are still on my camera, and I'll try to get them up as soon as possible.

Jeff
Neo
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 916 posts
Armorama: 758 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 27, 2006 - 05:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Neo, I was wondering if anyone would get around to building that humvee. Good luck with it. Thats about the only image of that particular configuration, though I recall that there might be two or three more.

Just enlisted as I had planned to do, but hadn't gotten around to doing it. I am going all out converting Tamiya's M1046 (for the OIF parts and some other extra details) into an M1114 using Mig Productions kit. I am also looking for a cheap(er) set of MIG wheels and am waiting on a supplier to restock. I am adding parts from Blast Models weapons set (mainly front turret shield, smoke launchers, and weapons). Furthermore I am building the all-around turret armor from schematics that Epi provided me with (originally drawn up by SOPMOD1). Finally I will also be rummaging through my modern parts spares box and using parts going so generously by Joe Szczygielski (Mother).

If I get around to it, I want to turn this into my first dio. No plans on what it'll look like, but I do know I'll use Dragon's Modern Marines easily converted to Army guys and using sand given to me by Joe that came from Iraq.

So I have my work cut out for me, so I started last night building the undercarrage and converted the hood. It was pretty tricky, but as long as you constantly test fit it, it works out ok. I have images, but they are still on my camera, and I'll try to get them up as soon as possible.

Jeff

Hey Jeff,

I'm kind of busy w/ Rockets & Missiles but when I saw the GAZ w/ the gun on back, at the LHS (kit's OOP now) had to do it. Prob. have to scratch the figures.

Sounds like you got quite the project there w/ a 1114. If you need any help w/ the drawings you got, drop me a PM (we've got some seroius digital imaging hardware at work). And stick w/ Joe (Mother). He's a great guy and I think he forgot more bout building than alot of people know (myself included).

Good Luck w/ the dio, look forward to the pic's.

N E O
USArmy2534
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 27, 2006 - 07:08 AM UTC
Yeah Joe is an awesome guy and an amazing builder with seemingly endless tips and constructive criticism. As for the photos, no need to look forward, here they are!

In progress pics

The drawings are pretty easy to follow, and though not to scale, serve their purpose well. Thanks for the offer though. I'll have to remember it if something comes up. BTW for anyone in this campaign that is doing an M1114 that needs the drawings they are at the link provided below. These are probably the only available drawings of this shield out there and the is not made by any aftermarket manufacturer so I highly recommend saving them to your computer (just remember to thank SOPMOD for drawing them)
M1114 turret armor drawing

Jeff
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 2,709 posts
Armorama: 1,818 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 27, 2006 - 07:13 AM UTC
damn i really wish this campaign started sooner. Had already completed 2 humvees late last year, the Academy M966 and Tamiyas M1046.

Who knows...might decide to jump on the bandwagon one more time.
USArmy2534
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 27, 2006 - 09:43 AM UTC
haha, Jeremy, there is always room for another humvee. They're just so easy to build! This is my fourth!

Jeff
afv_rob
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,556 posts
Armorama: 2,199 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 27, 2006 - 09:09 PM UTC
Looking good guys! Im pleased to see lots of interest and cool ideas.

Jeff, looks like you ahve a good pile off stuff there to keep you busy!

Ive started my Dumvee and just pikced up some pro arts sets thanks to Guntruck-cheers mate! Ive now got a Hard top so looks like anthother humvee project will be added to the list.
Tobar
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 29, 2006 - 07:33 PM UTC
"HERE WE GO...."

Most all of the kit is straight forward. I'd don't think I am going to spend alot of time on the kit building, I think most of it will come from scratchbuilding the "Gun-Truck" part of it. I think I will build the "steel-plate-armor" that was put together on the field, instead of the factory upgraded kits.

Here are the begginning of this campaing.....

I'm looking at this as my platform....

Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Monday, August 14, 2006 - 10:55 PM UTC
Here are some in progress photos of my 1/72 Revell M998 HMMWV. Nice little set that includes two complete vehicles, a cargo M998 and a hardtop M1025. There are some optional parts like a brush guard (only one) and the canvas cover (aka "dog house") or the troop seats.

I'm building my kit to look like the HMMWV I had as a battalion maintenance officer of 3-32 Armor.

Tobar
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 08:48 PM UTC
Some progress pics....
I decided to build a Gun Truck, M988, with railing around the
bed and a "Tub" for the gunner.
I am using mainly brass sheets, and brass rods. I found that soldering
the sheets and rod made it easier to handle.
I am not sure if I need to use 5 minite epoxy or CA, to secure it to the bed
of the Hummer. I soldered some guide pins for the railing, I might make them longer and bend them over to hold in place the tack with CA/5 minute to hold in place...
This is the first real scratch building I've done, so it is still trial and error...

Enjoy the Pics....

USArmy2534
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 10:43 PM UTC
Rob, that thing looks about as big as my thumb!

Thomas, I like where you are going with this. I'm not a huge CA fan (or rather my fingers aren't huge fans of it!) and I haven't used 5 minute epoxy, but since you are using brass, I'd go with the epoxy just because CA can take either forever or an instant to set and this isn't something I'd want instantly setting.

Jeff
eerie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,008 posts
Armorama: 242 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 10, 2006 - 09:36 AM UTC
I m doing the academy M1025 Armored Carrier. There was a few version from Academy 1/35 sets. There was the new IEDD kit but i decided to pick this one. Almost done with the painting..might get some dirt on it, but i am sure this will not be the last Hummer that i m getting

eerie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, September 13, 2006 - 04:47 AM UTC
After highlighting,

eerie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, September 16, 2006 - 11:31 AM UTC
With pastel weathering powder.

DeskJockey
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,558 posts
Armorama: 1,159 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 21, 2006 - 08:25 AM UTC
Here's a link to my build thread for my Desert Storm M1025 (using the Academy kit). I've finished and weathered the interior and am starting to work on the exterior now. I'll post new pics in the thread soon (I hope).

M1025 thread
spongya
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
KitMaker: 2,365 posts
Armorama: 1,709 posts
Posted: Monday, October 30, 2006 - 09:35 AM UTC
Gentlemen!
I have a problem: I lost one of the headlights of my Humvee. Would it be possible that one of you might be in possession of an extra one?
Thank you...
airborne1
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 915 posts
Armorama: 797 posts
Posted: Monday, October 30, 2006 - 06:16 PM UTC
Hi ,

Progress update on OIF crew and vehicle

I'm Halfway through on the Migs M1114 detail set.

Jeff,How are you finding M1114 detail set

The calibre 35 weighted wheels are definitely look the part

The figures,radio, rifles and 50 cal boxes have got to be glued and assembled before the doors go on .

More progress photo's in the gallery

Hope you like them

Cheers
Michael