_GOTOBOTTOM
Site Talk
Site announcements, comments, or feedback about the site.
Forums? Suggestions... Changes?
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Monday, September 11, 2006 - 10:36 PM UTC
Now that Armorama is distinctly an armor modeling site, we need to look at our existing forums (specfic to this site, not the network) and see if we need to make some changes, additions, or subtractions.

Last night for example I changed the long-standing name of the Rivet Review Board to a more simple designation of "Feedback". This forum is one of the ones in the potential "subtraction" category as many members are simply posting their work on the main armor forum for feedback.

So without giving a lot of hints at what we may have in mind, I would like to hear from the users on what they would like to see.

Thanks,
Jim
Removed by original poster on 09/19/06 - 09:55:23 (GMT).
Vadster
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 987 posts
Armorama: 444 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 12, 2006 - 05:09 AM UTC
I like Robin's idea except maybe instead of WW1 have a "pre-ww2" as for post ww2 genres I think splitting all the various conflicts/wars may be too excessive.

As for subtraction, I don't see much going on with the Ladies Modelling forum... maybe it just needs to have it's threads moved to the various "active" forums based on subject matter as not to permanently remove what has already been shared by those who contributed to it.
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 2,709 posts
Armorama: 1,818 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 12, 2006 - 05:44 AM UTC
Robin's suggestions pretty much covers the lot and I would certainly prefer such a category structure. The only question mark i have is in regards to having a figure category as that would blur the lines between armorama and HF once again?

The other suggestion i had was mainly around the review section. Any chance we could streamline that into just armor related reviews and move the figure related reviews to Historicus Forma etc? At present, all are lumped into one as well.

Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 12, 2006 - 06:25 AM UTC
I like the idea of the "Pre-WW2", since it would cover the in-between years also. Just a "WW1" I would think would limit it too much.
Kelley
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 1,966 posts
Armorama: 1,635 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 12, 2006 - 07:18 AM UTC
I agree pretty much with some of the other suggestions, maybe split the forums into "Pre WW2", "WW2 Allied", "WW2 Axis" and "Modern", which would include anything post WW2. I know some might say modern needs to be split, but as I believe Vinnie said elsewhere, most of the member's focus is on WW2, while the modern category I feel would be too splintered if divided into all the different conflicts since WW2. If you want to split up modern I would suggest; "Korea-'Nam" and "Post Vietnam".

As for the "Rivet Review" forum I think part of the confusion is that at some point in the last few years (I don't remember when exactly) someone posted that finished models could be posted in the main armor forum and in progress models in RR. Over time a lot of members just seem to have gotten used to posting all their pics in the main forum. If that's not a problem then leave it the way it is. Or maybe keep the RR board but make it clear it is for posting in progress and finished models, or...(last one ) just have two separate boards; "In Progress" and "Finished Models". Whatever the decision, it should be made clear that anyone posting pics of their work should expect positive and possibly negative comments, at the same time comments should be made in a manor that is not agressive towards the original poster. (I think something along these lines used to be pinned to the top of the board, but it's not there now)

Just my .02 cents, (ok longer than that maybe but still about the same or less worth )

Mike

Removed by original poster on 09/19/06 - 09:55:46 (GMT).
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 5,409 posts
Armorama: 3,777 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 12, 2006 - 08:23 AM UTC
I think that the subcategories like WW2 Vietnam, etc are currently under discussion groups within the Armor Thread. I would get rid of discussion groups and make them full fledge threads.
roudeleiw
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
KitMaker: 2,406 posts
Armorama: 2,224 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 12, 2006 - 01:29 PM UTC
I do not really like to much subdivisions.
Because only the AVF forum is so busy that the turnaround of posts on the first page is so high that you can easily miss something, a very limited subdivision, like Alex said, would be ok.

I think everybody has his special interest and spend most of his time at one special forum. The occasional look at another theme and the possibility to get attracted by this new modelling aera could get lost if people don't see it anymore. An interesting question on WW1 on the generic AVF-forum with a lot of responses could attract someone to try new things out, but i fear with to much subdivisions it's more like:
Out of sight, out of mind !
He may never look at the WW1 forum at all.

I admit that i did not once click on Shipwrights since installed, where before i did click on a spectacular Shipmodel featured OnDisplay at Armorama. I think that can happen also if the Armorama forum is split more and more.

As i am not an very active AFV forum poster, this opinion is not worth much more than 1 Eurocent, but anyway, that's what i think

Cheers
Claude

jRatz
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,171 posts
Armorama: 541 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 13, 2006 - 08:37 AM UTC
I am against too many sub-forums. I have basically quit hanging out in the ships forum because it has been sliced & diced so finely that it is a PITA to click in & out, etc. If & when Aeroscale comes out for real, I hope it isn't done the same way or I shall quit there also.

I think the topic selectors inside forums are useful, even if not used much ... the selectors allow me to choose how to slice & dice the info to best suit my tastes, not have them forced on me ...

If you have to divide Armorama, I'd suggest NMT 6 forums:
-- Softskins -- any era(ever), country, incl horse & wagon.
-- Artillery -- towed, SP, any era(ever), country; incl support veh like ammo carriers.
-- Armor (tanks, halftracks), Allied, all eras
-- Armor (tanks, halftracks), Axis, all eras
-- Armor (tanks, halftracks), Post-WW2(VJ-Day), any country
-- Other, Military related (LCVP, LCM, etc), Pre-20th century, etc

Frankly, Missing-Lynx has it about right - I can look at WW2 Allied, pre-WW2, and ignore the Axis & Modern ... If you look at my suggestions above, I'll hit the 1st three (but ignore all the non-US/UK stuff), ignore the next 2 completely, and maybe look in the last one...

Not that you are tailoring this for me, nor should you be, but I am still that heathen who uses Forum view & ignores Latest Posts ...

Thanks for listening ...
John
Removed by original poster on 09/19/06 - 09:56:11 (GMT).
jRatz
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 08:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Frankly, Missing-Lynx has it about right - I can look at WW2 Allied, pre-WW2, and ignore the Axis & Modern ... If you look at my suggestions above, I'll hit the 1st three (but ignore all the non-US/UK stuff), ignore the next 2 completely, and maybe look in the last one...

I think they have a good subdivision as well (I ignore Axis myself), but if you list softskins as a separate category you will end up with HMMWVs in the same category as Kubelwagens and CCKWs. But if you have softskins as a subcategory of each genre, then the types of softskins stay within their era.

Rob, I agree and thought about that. Inside the Softskin, Arty, you could have Allied/Axis/Modern/etc as a sub-type. Although I don't do Axis, I can ignore them easier if we're just dealing with softskins & arty, or at least learn a decent softskin/arty tip/technique from them. And, esp in arty, it opens it up to way back when muzzle-loading arty, and softskins back to the horse & wagon era ... I thunk the softskin & arty guys would like a place of their own -- when we get lumped in with the main categories, we get lost ...

My prime comment though is too many forums -- long ago I learned SADT, a software-engineering methodology whose basic premise was that anything worth saying could be said in less than 6 or fewer things. The Model Warship site is a good example of violating that principle & I'm afraid Aeroscale & Armorama will go the same way ... BTW, ARC has a good division of aircraft stuff -- we ought to follow along ...

John
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 10:11 AM UTC
John,
I am guessing you would not like this forum then...

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/index.php

Click on Ford to see the progression....then... :-) ....click on Mustang.

Of course with these stats I am guessing they are not having a problem.
Threads: 622,495, Posts: 4,267,423, Members: 475,988

I understand what you are saying though. Ironically it was from a group design discussion with 4 other ship builders that we decided to use that forum structure. In hindsight it may be better to have the ship classes as groups in one forum. It's worth considering. As for AeroScale I think Rowan does have it in mind to keep the number of forums to a minimum (at least starting off).

Cheers,
Jim
jRatz
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, September 16, 2006 - 08:03 AM UTC
Hi Jim,

Where's the smilie for "gag me with a spoon"? (The auto forums breakout). Of course since I drive a 20 year old truck with 230,000 miles & lots of gray primer & rust, you can tell my interest level in the automobile as social icon ...

Thanks,
John
drabslab
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,186 posts
Armorama: 190 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 16, 2006 - 05:33 PM UTC
Would it be too complicated to arrange a more dimensions style grouping of the topics.

Example: a question on a painting technique for a WWII axis AFV would end up in "painting techniques" and in "WWII axis".

Some dimensions could cut across all subsites (a thread on how to maintain an airbrush is useful for everybody), others could be limited to a single site.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Monday, September 18, 2006 - 05:17 AM UTC
Doesn't matter to me where the softskins wind up, I'll eventually find the right place. but I really don't think every item ever created or modeled needs it's own forum.
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 2,220 posts
Armorama: 1,707 posts
Posted: Monday, September 18, 2006 - 07:23 AM UTC
I do beleive a less is more approach will work best, but with the option to filter the content like we now can.

So say PreWW2, WW2, Coldwar, 90's and beyond Might do for major headings, then sub heading if needed like AFV's, Softskins, others.
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, September 18, 2006 - 11:23 AM UTC
Right now we are planning on:

General Discussions
Early Armor
World War II
- groups by country
Cold War
- groups by conflict
Modern
- groups by country

Pilgrim
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 516 posts
Armorama: 417 posts
Posted: Monday, September 18, 2006 - 03:16 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Right now we are planning on:

General Discussions
Early Armor
World War II
- groups by country
Cold War
- groups by conflict
Modern
- groups by country

This would work for me, I'm more interested in era than country or AFV vs softskin.

Sean
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 03:33 AM UTC
Dealing with Modern, there tends to be a pretty strong divide: Modern - Western, Modern-Warsaw Pact, and Modern - Other. Not a lot of builders who do Chilean M50's for example...

Just my thoughts anyhow...and considering all those crazy sherm-a-holics, they may need there own "special place"! :-)

_GOTOTOP