_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
My new T-55 has arrived!
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,065 posts
Armorama: 508 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 05, 2003 - 04:31 AM UTC

Let's get the forums going again!!

Got my new Tamiya T-55 yesterday!

Going to build it OOB (mostly! #:-) ) and do an Afghan version with the Warriors figures I have. Very dusty, dirty, and weathrred.

Nice kit! Started last night and got finished to step three (suspension complete). Am going to leave off the big fuel tanks and only have empty brackets.

Can't wait to start going again tonight!

How are you guys coming with yours?

Steve
penpen
Visit this Community
Hauts-de-Seine, France
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Armorama: 929 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 05, 2003 - 04:50 AM UTC
Are you going to use special markings ? interesting...
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 05, 2003 - 08:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Are you going to use special markings ? interesting...

Probably no markings at all. Most of the photos I have seen just show very beat up Soviet green vehicles.

If you have any references that have turret numbers, etc. please let me know!

But will just build the standard Russian version, no MG on the turrett and maybe no searchlight, only the mount. Depends on how much work I need to do.

But, I think the fuel drums will stay off. No hoses or fittings were included for them anyway. One of the very few faults I can have with this nice kit.

GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 05, 2003 - 08:25 AM UTC
Sniper - I really wish I could whine and complain about building my T-55 - but I'm loving it! I haven't started painting yet, just got the bare naked model sitting on the workbench to look at. I think I'm going to do the standard Soviet version with the AA MG added. I'm going to look for a reference on plumbing the fuel tanks though - pity Tamiya didn't give even a token description 'bout this.

I agree - let's get the Forums back to modeling!

Gunnie
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 05, 2003 - 09:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

going to look for a reference on plumbing the fuel tanks though - pity Tamiya didn't give even a token description 'bout this.

Someone had given me a link that had a diagram of these hoses. Can't seem to get to it right now. It may have been somewhere in the Perth Military Modelling site.

I have a lot of T-55 reference photos I could email if you needed them.

I would like to build this with the DshK, it looks really good. Will have to get another one for that. Have wanted to do this Afghan one for a long time.

Yeah, guess the hoses are the only omission that's really obvious. And, Tamiya has included these before on their T-72, etc. But, I still think the kit would look great even without them.

Steve

shiryon
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 876 posts
Armorama: 606 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 05, 2003 - 12:24 PM UTC
I would like to build a Tiran 5 version but I have to figure out how to make the IDF modified fenders. I hope one of the promuised resin sets comes along soon.

Josh Weingarten Aka Shiryon
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 05, 2003 - 12:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I would like to build a Tiran 5 version but I have to figure out how to make the IDF modified fenders. I hope one of the promuised resin sets comes along soon.

Josh Weingarten Aka Shiryon

Yes, but in the meantime don't you want to build a nice Russian version?

Come on Josh, it'll be fun!!

Yeah, it will be great to see the aftermarket that starts coming out.

Steve
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, February 05, 2003 - 01:40 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I have a lot of T-55 reference photos I could email if you needed them

Yes please - send it to my personal address: [email protected] it can handle large e-mails quite nicely.

I've never built a Soviet tank before - I think I picked a real honey of a kit for my first try. I like it a lot. It only took me a couple of days to assemble right out of the box. I say me because I don't have the luxury of spending long hours at the workbench right now. It was a pleasure to assemble. Painting and finishing is gonna be a real treat.

Gunnie
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 05, 2003 - 02:29 PM UTC

Some photos are on the way. Hope they help!

Steve
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 05, 2003 - 02:29 PM UTC

Steve
Kelley
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 1,966 posts
Armorama: 1,635 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 05, 2003 - 02:51 PM UTC
This is a sweet kit! Like you Gunny I've never built any Russian armor, I was at a show the other day and picked one up because of all the talk about it. I'm building OOB mainly ( I did break down and get a set of Friul tracks) except for adding the fuel lines to the tanks on the side of the hull. It practically falls together. Except for a few small pieces on the turret, and the tracks I'm almost ready to paint it. Sniper I could be very wrong but from some of the photos I have seen I'm not sure the fuel barrels on the rear have fuel lines. I think they were used to carry extra fuel to put in the main tank when needed. Well back to the work bench.

Cheers
Mike
cdave
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 545 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 05, 2003 - 03:37 PM UTC
Guys,

Right now, I have three of these babies sitting in the closet.

The first, will be OOB jsut for the fun of the newer Tamiya kits. The next, is a planned T54 (mod 1949). the next (for now) is a VT-55A modification to the the PanzerShop kit.

Dave
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 06, 2003 - 07:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

This is a sweet kit! Like you Gunny I've never built any Russian armor, I was at a show the other day and picked one up because of all the talk about it. I'm building OOB mainly ( I did break down and get a set of Friul tracks) except for adding the fuel lines to the tanks on the side of the hull. It practically falls together. Except for a few small pieces on the turret, and the tracks I'm almost ready to paint it. Sniper I could be very wrong but from some of the photos I have seen I'm not sure the fuel barrels on the rear have fuel lines. I think they were used to carry extra fuel to put in the main tank when needed. Well back to the work bench.

Cheers
Mike

Right Mike, I should have specified the side fuel tanks.

Will post more this evening. Made some progress last night.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, February 06, 2003 - 11:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Steve

Sniper Steve - a hearty thank you - all arrived safe and sound. I tried to get to the Forum sooner to thank you - but it's been a hectic day in the office...

Gunnie
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, February 06, 2003 - 11:43 AM UTC
[quote]Guys,

Right now, I have three of these babies sitting in the closet.

The first, will be OOB jsut for the fun of the newer Tamiya kits. The next, is a planned T54 (mod 1949). the next (for now) is a VT-55A modification to the the PanzerShop kit.

Dave

Well Dang Dave - get off yer duff and build it! It goes so fast you won't have time to put that Beer down before you're done...

Gunnie
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 3,569 posts
Armorama: 2,070 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 06, 2003 - 11:47 AM UTC
I gotta agree. it all but falls together.. I built mine on the tv tray Dec 28-31 and have painted it twice since then. My Tamiya Khaki Drab came out really brown, so I reshot it with the Nato green.
Great kit OOTB, not too much detailing other than those fuel lines and maybe some MV lenses.
I got 3 from HLJ, shipped before x-mas, delivered on the morning of the 28th..

Mike
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, February 06, 2003 - 11:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I gotta agree. it all but falls together.. I built mine on the tv tray Dec 28-31 and have painted it twice since then. My Tamiya Khaki Drab came out really brown, so I reshot it with the Nato green.

Hmmm, painted it twice...

I don't have Soviet Greens in my paint collection if any of you guys shoot Tamiya acrylics - what color(s) are you going to use?

Gunnie
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 06, 2003 - 12:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I don't have Soviet Greens in my paint collection if any of you guys shoot Tamiya acrylics - what color(s) are you going to use?

Gunnie

Well, mine is going to be very worn and weathered so the base color will be quite faded and dusty.

I'll probably use some combo of JA Green and Olive Green with some Khaki Drab. Just eyeball it as I have seen quite a bit of variation. I really like that JA Green.

Steve
Kelley
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 1,966 posts
Armorama: 1,635 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 06, 2003 - 02:31 PM UTC
On a side note, having never built any other Russian kits I'm a little surprised at the size of the tank compared to my other modern tank kits. The turret on my Leo 2A5 alone is almost as long as the whole T-55 (not including the cannon). Are other Russian tanks in the same size range? I know size isn't an indicator of how effective the tank is but I just thought it was interesting.

later,
Mike
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 3,569 posts
Armorama: 2,070 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 06, 2003 - 02:41 PM UTC
Yeah the T55-T62-T64 were all pretty tiny, even the T72 is smaller than most modern MBT's..
As for painting it twice...my Khaki drab had settled badly (new unopened bottle) and the layer of green pigment was still on the bottom of the bottle in a gummy layer, I sprayed almost all brown.. ugly!

I like Tamiya Dark green and sometimes cut it with a bit of Olive Drab or even just plain Green. The Tamiya NATO green looked pretty good too.

SO many different paint batches and all the other variables.. use what YOU want.

Mike
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, February 07, 2003 - 03:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

On a side note, having never built any other Russian kits I'm a little surprised at the size of the tank compared to my other modern tank kits. The turret on my Leo 2A5 alone is almost as long as the whole T-55 (not including the cannon). Are other Russian tanks in the same size range? I know size isn't an indicator of how effective the tank is but I just thought it was interesting.

later,
Mike

Ditto me too. I'm building the Skybow M41A3 Walker BullDog right alongside the Tamiya T-55. I was impressed with the compact size of the T-55. The BullDog sits higher and is just as large in overall dimensions. Then I had to put it next to the M45 Pershing I did, still compact looking it was...

Scale modeling is fun - the likelyhood of being able to put these vehicles in reality side-by-side is slim...

Gunnie
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, February 07, 2003 - 03:54 AM UTC

Yeah, it is really interesting to see how the low the profile is with the turret on.

I love the shape of that turret! The best looking part of the vehicle.

Still have to assemble the intake screens (oh, I hate that nylon mesh stuff!) and then get started on the turret.

Maybe have it primed in a few days. We'll see.
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, February 07, 2003 - 06:13 AM UTC

Anyone interested in the T-55 and the new kit, I suggest (no I insist! :-)) you check out this site;

http://www.kithobbyist.com/AMPSNewZealand/ColdSteel/

Some great photos and diagrams.

Steve

sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, February 07, 2003 - 06:21 AM UTC
And here...

http://www.jed.simonides.org/tanks/tango-numbers-su/t-55_series/t55-series.html#variants

and an awesome photo of an Egyptian T-55, VERY COOL...

http://www.jed.simonides.org/tanks/tango-numbers-su/t-55_series/egypt-v1/egyptv1-intro.html

WOW, there are some AWESOME variations in camo! Think I'm going to get a couple more of these kits.
m1garand
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,248 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, February 07, 2003 - 12:04 PM UTC
Here's a kit that is supposed to go well with Tamiya's T55.
http://pmms.webace.com.au/newkitnews/psp.htm

_GOTOTOP