_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Clervaux Castle - the Annexes
roudeleiw
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
KitMaker: 2,406 posts
Armorama: 2,224 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 05:52 AM UTC
So, are you ready for the next installement of the Clervaux dio? No? Bad luck, here is it anyway.

Again, as a reminder what i am going to build now, this picture

I am building part 3 now.

I could have cut my dio right in front of the building in the rear. Looking at the inattractive square shape of the building i was inclined to do so, but on the other side i wanted absolutely to incorporate the small chapel in the so-called witchtower.

Here is a overhead view taken late after the war, after renovation. Notice the Sherman who originally was destroyed twenty meters lower on the other side of the wall and only brought here as a memorial more then ten years later. I intend to do him also (as a fighting Sherman of course)

Here is a nice view of the chapel right before the war. Strangely, this staircase survived the devastative fire who destroyed the whole castle’s roof structure!

I could not transpose the original location of it into my dio because of space problems, so i shortened the square building a bit and also decided to destroy most of the roof.
The roof is way to big and uninteresting and also would hide a nice angle from the castle who is the favorite view of my wife.
The chapel roof will remain intact.

Let me start with the base. I will try to make a visually interesting module with the road leading up to the castle plateau viewable and also the chapel hanging over the hill. It’s 1,40 x 0,70 meter big.

The last picture on this page shows the module with the basic shape mounted with Styro.
Complicated? I know, it was also a great challenge for me and i changed a few times.

As the base walls of the square building ( in the years before the war it was used as a Youth hostel) are now done already i think i will do this first post as a quick Howto of my way to build this kind of walls.

This is the model

First, the windows. Rounded on the top! For that i made a pattern out of plasticcard. I needed a support for the Evergreen strips. It helped me to get those strips hold the curve.
Picture to rescue!

I hold the iron angles in place with a bit of plastillin and am continuing the mount of the window.

A mould is made from the first one and copies are made. I made a second mould after the first copie, so i had three forms to ill with resin at one go.

And a copy

Because i shortened the building i had a bit of a hassle to get everything placed

Cutting out the doors and windows of the front side

According to the model and my sketch

My stonework (widely known from the castle) is already glued on and i am inserting a window frame made of a cork strip with the window used as place holder.

Idem for the smaller classic windows,

I cheated a bit for those as i simply took the rounded ones and cut of the top.
Adding more details at the front

The front doors are made out of plastic

Testfitting

I will do a partly visible destructed interior. Therefor i am building the inside walls with plasterboard and am directly preparing all the attaching points for the joists

Here a first test. Later i cut more of the outer walls. Note the finished flagstone floor made out of cardboard. (see again the castle’s kitchen)

As the reat part of the building is going to be barely attached and handling is going to be difficult i need to make more fassade work now as i would normally do.

The wall is painted roughly and here are the steps for my plaster cover. I am using cellulose plaster with a long drying time.

Spreading out

After i smoothed it with my wet fingers

Done!

The front door painted and the glas made with clear resin (before breaking with a scalpel)

Glued in place after breaking the glass

Still need to complete the corners by filling with plaster and rescribbing some stonework.

The module filled with Styro

The other house will be placed front left with a small wall joining the two elements.

So, that’s it for now! Sorry for the bad english, i have a serious cold and the brain is only working partially. If there are questions or suggestions. please feel free to bring them in.

Next up the roofwork and some detailed work for the view of the inner rooms.

Cheers
Claude

Edit.: corrected the last picture

martyncrowther
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,548 posts
Armorama: 1,407 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 06:24 AM UTC
Claude, nice to see this one back. I have been waiting for this to get back on the way! Nice work the building does look good, I must admit! What is going inside the building?

Martyn
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 06:24 AM UTC
Impressive Claude .... but we come to expect no less!
Thanks for sharing.
padawan_82
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 817 posts
Armorama: 555 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 07:45 AM UTC
claude what can i say, i'm soooo jealous, i've been following this on armorama, and in AFV modeller magazine. your work is exceptional, just wish i had your talent... maybe one day.
paulchatfield
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 144 posts
Armorama: 136 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 08:31 AM UTC
I've been following this for months now with Amazement and Awe.
Fantasicly inspiring work.
Love it

Paul
Torquay
England
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 08:36 AM UTC
Brillient stuff Claude.

Thanks for the How To.

Al
AmiPolizeiFunk
Visit this Community
Berlin, Germany
KitMaker: 101 posts
Armorama: 96 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 09:06 AM UTC
Incredible per usual
scratchmod
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 796 posts
Armorama: 763 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 09:27 AM UTC
Totaly awsome work,your buildings are amazing,wish I had that kind of talant. Hope to see more of this huge dio.

Rob
newfish
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 2,329 posts
Armorama: 2,110 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 09:30 AM UTC
great work as usual when are you going to ever finish this dio?

whats the sledge hammer for ?:P

slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 09:43 AM UTC
I love to look through your threads, the end result is always good. You take the time to adjust and fix and make sure that everything is "on"

Nice job.
JeepLC
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 510 posts
Armorama: 469 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 01:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

whats the sledge hammer for ?:P

I assume frustrating moments...

Great work as always. You truly inspire.

-Mike
Eaglewatch
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 560 posts
Armorama: 352 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 02:10 PM UTC
OMG that dio is gonna mega huge how do you find the time to even begin so big ?
c_benshoof
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 122 posts
Armorama: 98 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 02:12 PM UTC
wow that is some great building. i have enjoyed watching this project unfold.

one question, what size styrene do you use for the windows?

keep up the good work!!!
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 10,889 posts
Armorama: 3,245 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 03:51 PM UTC
Hi Claude,

No rest of the wicked, eh? After that last instalment was completed I thought you might take a nice long holiday

But good to have you starting on phase 3. I'm really looking forward to following it. But where are you storing all of this? You mentioned your wife? She allows you to keep this in your apartment?

Rudi
roudeleiw
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
Posted: Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 09:06 PM UTC
Hi everyone , thank yo very much!

Why should i wait to continue? No need to, i have no other hobby and the will to get this done completely is still there. Last year i took a break to travel a bit with the castle, no such thing now, so i go on.
I was a bit hesitant to do this building. Like i said, the first appeal was no so great. In the meantime i think it will be not so bad. The amount of openings and the style of them makes for a interesting look afterall.
I have a lot of space to work, a bit less to store dustfree, but i deal with that as it is coming along.
In a few years i will have a hard time to move the modules around in this room. It will be like this little handheldgame where you have only one square unoccupied and you need to slide the other parts around to get some picture.
The biggest problem i have is the fact that my working rooms are unheated. With the actual cold out there, i have a mere 9°C in one room and a humid 12°C in the other one, that is no fun to work on details.

@Chris, the size of the styrene strips can be anything between 2 x0.5 mm, depends on the way you work and the look you like. This window needed sturdier outer strip of 2.5 x 1.5 because of the tension in the round part. For a rough guide you can take a 2x1 for the frame (1wide,2 deep) and put some 1x1(or 0.5 x1) along this in the inside to simulate the window behind. Use 0.5 rounds or 0.5x1 for the bars.
You can also take the 2x1, lay it flat (2 wide) and put the 1x1 on top of it, different way to do it, same result.

Thanks for your comments everyone

Cheers
Claude

marsiascout
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,247 posts
Armorama: 913 posts
Posted: Monday, January 12, 2009 - 03:53 AM UTC
Good luck with this part. The MEGADIORAMA! is getting bigger and bigger.

Lars
callmehobbes
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 751 posts
Armorama: 740 posts
Posted: Monday, January 12, 2009 - 06:19 AM UTC
This dio is simply beyond compare. The sheer size and scope makes it a magnificent achievement, but the level of detail and accuracy takes it a level I've never seen before. I've already said on the central thread that this deserves a book.
I'm not sure if this has been brought up before but what is to become of the dio when it's finished? Is it for a museum? Please don't say it's going to sit in your garage/workshop.
roudeleiw
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
Posted: Monday, January 12, 2009 - 07:28 AM UTC
Thank you guys,

Quoted Text

what is to become of the dio when it's finished? Is it for a museum? Please don't say it's going to sit in your garage/workshop.

I would like do give it away for display at the original Castle of Clervaux.
There is among other things a small Military Museum but also a museum of all Luxembourg Castles. Scale is somewhere around 1/100 , from the mid sixties, not bad at all, but lacking of course every detail.
I think my castle would fit in there and be a supplementar attraction.

My first tries last year to get in contact with the local autorities went nowhere (no returning contact). In mid december i send the whole council a map with a renewed inquiry, together with pictures from the magazines and the newest progress photos.
No reaction until now!

It will not be easy as the museum seems to be under control of the national culture ministerium.
So you see, in the end i will need to climb up people's arxx to take my dio!!

Adding to this is the problem that i want to keep the castle until everything is finished and that will take a few more years.

Good news is that i'm working on a book, published alone or a collaboration with another modeller.

Plenty to do!

Cheers and thanks

Claude

Gorizont
Visit this Community
Sachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,462 posts
Armorama: 1,289 posts
Posted: Monday, January 12, 2009 - 08:56 AM UTC
Good continuation of this great work!!!

Soeren
pzkfwmk6
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 456 posts
Armorama: 216 posts
Posted: Monday, January 12, 2009 - 09:24 AM UTC
You sir, are the MAN
I wish you lived close to me so I could come over and drool over this monster! You should absolutely make a printed book of the whole process.
I'll guarantee I would buy a copy or two
Regards and cheers, Ed
docdios
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,998 posts
Armorama: 1,236 posts
Posted: Monday, January 12, 2009 - 08:34 PM UTC
Well done Claude

It is a serious labour of love this diorama, what are you going to when you actually finish it?

I know how hard it is to actually deal with Museums I have the same problem with my Holocaust diorama, I was offering it for free but they just seems so uninterested I think at time they would rather commission a piece of work that is so ordinary rather than have a piece built by someone who cares

keep up the good work

cheers

Keith
tjkelly
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 1,132 posts
Armorama: 1,123 posts
Posted: Monday, January 12, 2009 - 09:58 PM UTC
Stunning, simply amazing work. Have seen this in AFV Modeler as well, fantastic job! Thanks for sharing your progress and completed sections!

Cheers -

Tim
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,242 posts
Armorama: 504 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 11:01 AM UTC
Claude,

Wow a wonderful and massive, project. I am intrigued to say the least. I sincerely look forward to its completion.

Steve
roudeleiw
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 04:58 AM UTC
Thank you guys !

Thank you Keith, it's "refreshing" to know that this seems to be standard procedure when talking to museums and politicians.

Cheers
Claude

jba
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 1,845 posts
Armorama: 777 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 11:41 PM UTC
Just a quick note to say you "happy new year", "it's once more totally amazing", "no real comment as everything seems perfect" and "I will watch this space"
 _GOTOTOP