Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
1/72 BR-52 Kreigslok and Krupp k5(e) Leopold
Hut
Visit this Community
Utrecht, Netherlands
KitMaker: 285 posts
Armorama: 238 posts
Posted: Friday, January 30, 2009 - 05:58 PM UTC
Andrew,

Good choise on the camou. Ral colours are a German/European standard. Present day colours differ from the numbers used in the war, but this is the wiki article on them:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAL_(color_space_system)

And the following link contains the conversion to model paint numbers (scroll down for the table):
http://www.miniatures.de/colour-ral-farben.html

Libor,
I love this build, it is very inspirational.

But I'm sorry I have to disagree with you on the wind guides. It's not a big thing and anyone can do what he wants, but I'm going to leave them off because of the following:

The Gottwaldt reverence, which is very well known in the train world has mostly pictures without the guides. And the BR-50 series (BR-52's predecesor) had the metal version of the wooden type in the model. So if this type of guide would have been installed in the factory it would be metal. It is a known fact that they were left of on the BR-52 to simplify the production as this was the whole point of the BR-52 a simplified war version of BR-50. In practice the people who were to drive the BR-52 were not happy with the guides being left off and because of this field adaptations were introduced like the wooden version of the BR-50's old type of guides.
Later on the metal versions were installed.

Regards,
Pascal
grave_digger
Visit this Community
Clare, Ireland
KitMaker: 952 posts
Armorama: 834 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 05:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Andrew,

Good choise on the camou. Ral colours are a German/European standard. Present day colours differ from the numbers used in the war, but this is the wiki article on them:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAL_(color_space_system)

And the following link contains the conversion to model paint numbers (scroll down for the table):
http://www.miniatures.de/colour-ral-farben.html

Libor,
I love this build, it is very inspirational.

But I'm sorry I have to disagree with you on the wind guides. It's not a big thing and anyone can do what he wants, but I'm going to leave them off because of the following:

The Gottwaldt reverence, which is very well known in the train world has mostly pictures without the guides. And the BR-50 series (BR-52's predecesor) had the metal version of the wooden type in the model. So if this type of guide would have been installed in the factory it would be metal. It is a known fact that they were left of on the BR-52 to simplify the production as this was the whole point of the BR-52 a simplified war version of BR-50. In practice the people who were to drive the BR-52 were not happy with the guides being left off and because of this field adaptations were introduced like the wooden version of the BR-50's old type of guides.
Later on the metal versions were installed.

Regards,
Pascal

well, you may be right, I have available just very limited colection of pictures from WWII and they show, what I said above. Now I am trying hard to get some of the books, you have mentioned here, especially from Gottwald, could not find any available, at the end got some luck in some German bookshop, They offer 2 books (Die Eisenbahn im Zweiten Weltkrieg. Band 1: Räder müssen rollen. Eine Dokumentation in Bildern und Berichten von den Kriegsschauplätzen in Europa, Afrika und Asien. Band 2: Deutsche Kriegslokomotiven 1939 - 1945.) in 48 euro cost, so I hope they will post it to Ireland. They would be very handy to me, as I plan to build some locomotives soon, namely another Br52 with Vanderbilt tender in grey-yellow camo, then Br86 and Wr 360, which should come soon from Trumpeter.
Your posts here are very welcome to me.
Libor
monkybutt
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 381 posts
Armorama: 321 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 08:48 AM UTC
Pascal & Libor, here are some photos of my progress since i last posted pics. construction is really flying as i have been working for several hours a day on the engine and today i began painting. so far i hav only sprayed the interior with tamiya flat black, but later on i will begin the interior detailing. i also sprayed the pistons black so that i could tell how well the filing came out, which was pretty well! i have decided that i shall display the Br 52 pushing the k5(e) along the track.

thank you both for the helpful comments and Pascal for the links to the color chart, those will definately come in handy.

Hut
Visit this Community
Utrecht, Netherlands
Posted: Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 08:16 PM UTC
Andrew,

That's coming along good. I'm in the middle of rebuilding my attic and creating a new workplace for the hobby, so it will be some time before I can get started on moddeling again. But this is really making me itch to get started. But I do have more time for research now with the above results.

Libor,

I hope that's 48 euro for the both of them, not separately, because that would be extremely expensive. I recently bought a second hand copy of part 2 about the war engines and it was 20 euro's. It contains a lot of information but it is all in german of course. It does have good pictures (not to much) and line drawings of the locomotives.

And about the photo's on internet: recently I got some model railroad magazines from a friend of mine and I'm beginning to dicover that a lot of the "WWII pictures" are actualy post war pictures of post war machines. It's very hard to see the difference sometimes.

If you start building the other railroad equipment you mentioned can you please post pictures of this too? It would be interesting to see something different from the BR-52 considering its recent popularity.

Regards,
Pascal
monkybutt
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, February 01, 2009 - 05:08 AM UTC
Hut, good luck cleaning out your attic. i know what it's like to be itching to start a project, but hav to do some claning first. i clean my bench after every project to try and keep things organized.

here is a great link i found a couple of weeks ago. it's all on 1:35th scale, but really helpful none the less. it has lots of line drawings and some color pictures of a Br-52 in red and black. it has a lot of german railroad related stuff

http://www.one35th.com/model/whatsnew.htm
grave_digger
Visit this Community
Clare, Ireland
Posted: Sunday, February 01, 2009 - 05:47 AM UTC
Hi Andrew, good progress again. That link is not bad, valuable information can be found there.
Pascal, I´d say so, there are many wrong pictures and informations with them on the internet. That is why I ordered these books. It is gonna cost 60 with shipping, for both, of course. It is still acceptable, the books seem to be rare enough, and we know that these special books never come cheap. I hope I will be satisfied with them.
My planed builds definitely coming here, as I have joined railway campaign and they should become a part of it. I want something very special and unusual to show, but have not made exact idea yet.
Libor
monkybutt
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, February 01, 2009 - 07:46 AM UTC
hey guys, here's what i have been up to since yesterday. i love this kit. after the summer, i'm gonna save up and get the trumpeter version.

i'm sorry my pictures aren't 100% clear. i'm still trying to get the hang of it!
monkybutt
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, February 01, 2009 - 07:48 AM UTC
those are grey and black pastel chalks. it kinda just looks like mush from the pictures. i'll take some more closer up pics if u guys want...
Lateral-G
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 96 posts
Armorama: 89 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 01, 2009 - 10:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

hey guys, here's what i have been up to since yesterday. i love this kit. after the summer, i'm gonna save up and get the trumpeter version.

Do you mean the 1/35 versions?

I happen to have the Loco, morser and Leopold all in 35th waiting to be built. That would be one massive display

-G-
monkybutt
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, February 01, 2009 - 01:36 PM UTC
yup that's what i mean. the 1/35 trumpeter br-52. this next time i will paint it red and black though but no leopold. that would be too much $ and too big!
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
Armorama: 2,447 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 01, 2009 - 05:00 PM UTC
Here's a good resource for you: The BR52 Locomotive - A short WalkRound
Hut
Visit this Community
Utrecht, Netherlands
Posted: Monday, February 02, 2009 - 07:22 PM UTC
And since you can never have enough info, here is another walk around:
http://www.primeportal.net/transports/kriegslokomotive_br_52_home.htm

And a build blog by Vinnie Branigan, which is (as usual for him) very nice:
http://www.militarymodelling.com/forums/postings.asp?th=16580

Regards,
Pascal
monkybutt
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 10:41 AM UTC
thank you JTPRR, that will definetely come in handy when it comes time to weather. shows where the rusty parts would be

and Hut, thanks! that build log will definetely help as well as the other walk around!!
progress is slow...lot of tests and quizes this week so i'v had no time to work!
grave_digger
Visit this Community
Clare, Ireland
Posted: Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 11:38 AM UTC
Hi,
once you said you´d save for 1/35 Br52, so you might want to see, what is coming here. I will definitely go for all the locomotives and all of the cars.
trumpeter announcement
Cheers
Libor
monkybutt
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, February 07, 2009 - 11:02 AM UTC
libor- thanks for the link...the armored looks very cool!! do u have any idea how large the deisel locomotive will be?

also, did you use the vinyl sand injectors for your BR-52? there are ugle seams on the ones supplied in hobby boss' kit and i have no idea how to go about trimming them!

any suggestions??

thanks
grave_digger
Visit this Community
Clare, Ireland
Posted: Saturday, February 07, 2009 - 10:25 PM UTC
Armored Br 57 looks cool, but I hope there will be a possibility to build the kit without armor or with it, that would be the best way to get two nice models. I was also going to buy Br 86, which is available from Czech model kompany in resin, but for crazy 300 USD. That will be better to wait for Trumpeter one, I think. I got really excited about this news, especially if there are 6 more railway cars mentioned. Wr 360 should be like 25cm in length. It is not a large kit, but looks like Trumpeter pushed the prices higher, this one just arrived for 65 USD. And I will have to wait with all these kits to build,´ cause there could be some PE parts from Eduard or the others to improve them in time. Finally, I ordered Br 64 from France, it is again CMK kits for 260 USD, but very rare, I found just 2 in the shops around the world and the manufacture is over. I did not want to miss it, and its building log will appear when it comes.
Now, sand pipes in Trumpeter kit are nice enough, just their straps are better to be cut off and replaced from PE set. So I left them from the kit, but I do not know, how your ones look like. I have also seen in topis somewhere, that someone made fresh ones from wire, and this I will gonna do probably next time, as they looked well. The sand valves are much worse even in Trumpeter kit, I again used Eduard PE, but it is still faraway from the real thing, next time I will try to mould them myself from resin. You can se the result at link just above. So maybe making them from wire and using just the nozzles mounted at the ends could be the best choice. And I would recommend to glue them on before you start assembling wheels, I did it the other way, and it brought a lot of trouble. Hope, this will help a bit.

Libor
monkybutt
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, February 08, 2009 - 07:01 AM UTC
wow i would love to see another build log. haha i think i'm startin to get hooked on military trains!! unfortunately, they are very expensive, and my pocket is not very deep!!! last night i was looking at some russian and polish ones from wwI and wwII! I was thinking of replacing them with wire becuase i just have know clue about how to trim vinyl and there is no way i'm just going to leave them be but i cant find a matching guage of wire. the vinyl parts seem to be between 24 and 28 guage, but my dad said they dont make a guage in between!! i'm not sure if Europe goes by the same measuring system as tthat the US does, so sorry if you dont know what im talking about! hahaha.
monkybutt
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, February 08, 2009 - 02:15 PM UTC
also, do you think glueing the wheels and all the other things that attatch to them before painting will be a problem?
grave_digger
Visit this Community
Clare, Ireland
Posted: Monday, February 09, 2009 - 02:45 AM UTC
well, i got it, I am not quiet sure, but I´d say that wire 0,4 - 0,5 mm diameter would be the right one. I think it is simple to find some cuper or another soft wire like that. I just wanted to say it is much easier to attach these sand pipes before you mount on the wheels, no matter if you paint before or after. I prefer not to paint whole model, but its parts a completed pieces I paint during the assembly, it always depends on current situation and kit, and I see that many people build things different way. It is just what suits to me and it does not have to suit somebody else. Let me know how you deal with them pipes anyway
Libor
monkybutt
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, February 16, 2009 - 03:54 PM UTC
o.k. progress has been realllllyyyy slow but it picked up today.
i wasted a lot of time trying to build my own sandpipes but they came out bad and just all fell apart when i went to bend them etc. so i decided to use the kit parts. i did not realize it, but there are little parts protruding from the back that fit into little holes on the train in order to make sure ther were properly in place. i accidently cut them off. if you ever buy this kit...please dont fo this!!! its a real pain. so i tried like 352542812347 times to glue them with superglue but they came unstuck almost instantly. i finally deided on 5 minute epoxy that i "borrowed" from my brother. so far it has worked well.
pictures soon.
Lateral-G
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 03:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

o.k. progress has been realllllyyyy slow but it picked up today.
i wasted a lot of time trying to build my own sandpipes but they came out bad and just all fell apart when i went to bend them etc. so i decided to use the kit parts. i did not realize it, but there are little parts protruding from the back that fit into little holes on the train in order to make sure ther were properly in place. i accidently cut them off. if you ever buy this kit...please dont fo this!!! its a real pain. so i tried like 352542812347 times to glue them with superglue but they came unstuck almost instantly. i finally deided on 5 minute epoxy that i "borrowed" from my brother. so far it has worked well.
pictures soon.

Another adhesive that works well is Aileen's Mighty Tacky. You can get it at most craft stores (i.e. Michael's). It's a white glue, dries clear and has water clean-up. That way if you get some where you don't want it it's easily cleaned. It joins most dis-similar materials. It is very "tacky" and sets up quickly.

-G-
monkybutt
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 03:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Another adhesive that works well is Aileen's Mighty Tacky. You can get it at most craft stores (i.e. Michael's). It's a white glue, dries clear and has water clean-up. That way if you get some where you don't want it it's easily cleaned. It joins most dis-similar materials. It is very "tacky" and sets up quickly.

so this will work with vinyl??
Lateral-G
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 04:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

so this will work with vinyl??

Yes.

You can also try RC-56. It's also water based and dries clear. However, takes a bit longer to set up but once dry is very, very strong.

-G-
monkybutt
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 06:09 AM UTC
hey thaks for the suggestion. i discivered that the epoxy i used scrapes off easily with a few scratches with a knife so i'm just gonna keep doing that. i will keep ur suggestion in mind for future reference if i really need it. im only 16 n $$ is tight.

so. this week has been winter vacation from school and i'v been wasting a lot of time not working on the train so yesterday i decided to make up for the lost time. i basically completed the whole tender car (only a few more pieces to glue). i will post pictures before i start painting when i find teh charger to my dad's camera

monkybutt
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 06:34 AM UTC
also, does anyone know if there are acrylic colors that i can use/mix to get the right RAL7011 grey color?
also i don't know where to start for the yellow part of the camo so any advice is welcome.