_GOTOBOTTOM
Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
1/72 BR-52 Kreigslok and Krupp k5(e) Leopold
monkybutt
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 381 posts
Armorama: 321 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 07:24 AM UTC
i decided to make a thread about hobby boss' leopold that i got for Christmas, which is not finished, and hobby boss' br-52 locomotive that i bought with Christmas money given to me by relatives YAY!

so here are some pictures. as i said, the leopold is finished adn the locomotive is still being build. hopefully u guys out there can lend me a few timp, especially when it comes time to paint and weather

these are only my 3rd and 4th 1:72 kits, after a vehicle set by academy and a huey by i forget both of which i build when i was really young...like 8.

Removed by original poster on 01/28/09 - 19:41:21 (GMT).
Removed by original poster on 01/28/09 - 19:41:39 (GMT).
Removed by original poster on 01/28/09 - 19:41:56 (GMT).
monkybutt
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 07:28 AM UTC
this is gonna take a while...i need to figure out how to post pics from image shack.
monkybutt
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 07:28 AM UTC
monkybutt
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 07:29 AM UTC
haha yesss. so theres a pic of the box. great kit. superb detail. lots of filling required. unclear instructions. tough fits sometimes. all came together well in teh end
monkybutt
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 07:33 AM UTC

monkybutt
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 07:34 AM UTC
sorry, here is picture #1 again. i will painting it the grey scheme
monkybutt
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 07:37 AM UTC
i scratched build the door because the kit doesn't come with an option to have it cloes adn the frame has all these dials, valves and levers molded on...so i simpley removed it all and build myself a new door with evergreen steyrene and cut out come detail from teh kit door adn glued it on

monkybutt
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 07:40 AM UTC
monkybutt
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 07:52 AM UTC
just an alternate view of the track. i like the 1st better. put together, the track supplied in both kits measures 3 feet 9 inches!!! but i dont think i need quite that much. plus that would not fit on the shelves in my room where i display my models
here's a shot of the br-52's box. its really good-teh details are crisp and clean. it was $64 at my local hobby shop,so not too bad. a great alternate if you want a br-52 but cant afford trumpeter's $130 (ish) 1:35 loco
i like the red and black version better. i saw the red and black done with jagged white stripes that looks awesome...but i think that would be too hard for me
19/
monkybutt
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 07:57 AM UTC

and thats pretty much where i have gotten..will update as i progress

here are just 2 pics of the coal car without anything being glued to it, and the vinyl sand injectors:

please take a look and comment awayyyyyy....all knds of feedback are welcome!
grave_digger
Visit this Community
Clare, Ireland
KitMaker: 952 posts
Armorama: 834 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 12:24 PM UTC
A nice one you got there, I´ll be watching your progress. My Leopold is still waiting under my bed with many others
Here is a link to my Br 52 building log, it is 1/35, but might be useful
building log
Libor
Hut
Visit this Community
Utrecht, Netherlands
KitMaker: 285 posts
Armorama: 238 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 07:33 PM UTC
Hello Andrew,

That is a big project.
I have been doing some research lately into the BR-52 and about your choice for painting: Black and red is not appropriate this was used for non-kriegslokomatives and post-war painting. All BR-52 in the war were painted in a grey base color. until november 1942 this would be RAL7011 and after this would be RAL7021 (panzergrau). Despite what the painting guide says it was usually even gray without camouflage. The camouflage pattern, if applied is field conversion and not common. Only in 1944 an official camouflage pattern was issued, but it was hardly applied.
So you can definitely get away with painting it uniformly grey just like your K-5. (Leopold is a specific name of one of the guns and not a type name, this was K-5)

About the wooden wind guides in the kit, this was a field conversion; most BR-52's did not have guides at all. As this was a simplified war locomotive it needed to be easy and quick in production and the wind guides were usually not installed. And if installed in the factory these would be of a different type and made from metal. The wooden ones are definitely a rare field conversion.

Also the eagle on the engineer’s house was more often than not, not applied so you can (if you want) leave the eagle with the ugly square in it off.

This comes from the following sources:
-Anstrich und Bezeichnung von LOKOMOTIVEN, Das Erscheinungsbild deutscher Lokomotiven von 1871 bis heute, Wolfgang Diener, transpress Verlag, 1996 Stuttgart

-Die Baureihe 50, Band 1 Deutsche Reichsbahn, Ebel/Wenzel, EK-Verlag, 1988 Freiburg

-Deutsche Kriegslokomotiven 1939 bis 1945, Gottwald, transpress Verlag, 1998 Stuttgart

Hope this helps and good luck with the project, it's looking good so far.
I'll be following this thread as I still have to start on my own BR-52 1/72 so I can use this input for my own effort.

Regards,
Pascal Hut
warreni
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
Armorama: 712 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 07:46 PM UTC
Hi Andrew.

I built the 1/35 version for my Father-in-law and he loves it. I have another one for me as I need something to hook up my two Morsers and Leopold too! I will be watching with interest.

The wind deflectors were a field mod and mostly post-war if I recall correctly.
monkybutt
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 08:43 AM UTC
hey Hut, thanks for the advice. good call with the red and black, cause i dont hav any reference books. i was kinda looking forward to teh red and black...so i guess i'll just hav to build another one in that scheme. what about black? does your reference say anything about the locomotives being painted black?? if i cant paint teh red and black, my secon shoice was just a really ugly, gross, grimy locomotive that had seen a lot of hell

and about the eagles, i think i'm gonna add them. i kinda like how the 3rd reich were so vain and the eagle with the wreath and the SS death's head remind me of that so i think i'm going to add it, but i'l probably cut out the squares and paint in my own swasticas

Warren- that would be an impressive build. what scale? 1:35? u should post some pics when u get into that one!!
monkybutt
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 09:34 AM UTC

Hut, what about this one? do your books say anything about this scheme and if it was a wartime scheme?
monkybutt
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 09:37 AM UTC
sorry Pascal! didnt realize i was using your last name
monkybutt
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 02:45 PM UTC
just a small update- i didnt have much homework today so i had some time to do a little work:

:-H can anyone tell me what this part is called? i am unfamiliar with the parts of locomotives

here is a view of the other side. the two objects (for lack of a better word- are they pistons?) are not glued in place yet as there is much filling and sanding to be done. as you can see, this one has been stuck in place with some blue sticky tack

while trimming this part, it snapped in a very strang way- there is a hole in one piece and a thin point protruding from the other one wich made it very easy to repair! as to why this happened, i dont know. i'm pretty sure these are sand injectors for teh front wheels

here they are glued on:

on either side of the front fender are little foot holds for crew members. the kit's part was flat and boring, so a added some fine mesh left over from tamiya's king tiger (i think) to simulate the grate pattern that it would have been--thank you Libor for the excellent photos of your locomotive that gave me the idea

can anyone tell me what these are?
Hut
Visit this Community
Utrecht, Netherlands
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 07:53 PM UTC
Hi Andrew,

It's OK I'm used to being called by my last name.

As far as I can judge from the black and white pictures the light gray color RAL7011 was used instead of the black and the red part could be black. But it seems that most where simply painted uniformly gray either RAL7011 or 7021. Especially from 1943 onwards all was painted panzergrau (7021). This is from official painting orders, but the Germans had a habit of field conversion/painting.

About the red/black/white camou pattern, I have no war time photographic evidence of this. And judging from the sources so far no BR-52 during the war where painted red/black. But again the Germans had a habit of field camouflaging things so anything could be possible.
The pattern might just be a mistake taken over by a modeling company from a museum locomotive, I have seen pictures of a BR-52 painted like this in a museum, but museums are notorious for having wrong colors on equipment.

Don't forget that the brake lines are black rubber and that the buffers had a white rim around the contact surface of 50mm (scale 1:1) wide. This was because of black-out orders, no lights during night time.

Oh by the way what you call sand injectors are the brake lines. If another car/locomotive is put in front or behind this locomotive these lines are connected so compressed air can pass through in order to have the trains brake system function. You will also find them in the same location on your K-5. So if you put the K-5 behind the BR-52 or in front (which could look realy cool) you should find a way of connecting these.
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/163/435868811_22f2dac453.jpg?v=0

Sand is only fed to the drive wheels not the front boggie, it has not purpose to do this.

And I'm no real expert on specific parts of railway stuff (I'm more into panzers, but I seem to know a lot of train-minded people) but those vessels/canisters you ask about a probably the compressed air tanks. If I'm not mistaking the K-5 also has these on the underside of the carriages.

I agree with you on the eagle, I will probably put it on as well and paint in the swastika. It makes it look better.
I still have to check if the eagle looks the right way, because someone told me that on the 1:35 archer transfers for the BR-52 it looks the wrong way.

Keep the pictures coming.

Regards,
Pascal
grave_digger
Visit this Community
Clare, Ireland
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 08:25 PM UTC
You work is going ahead, Andrew. These are tanks for compressed air. The dials came printed with Eduard etched parts, I think would be easy to make them in any paint software, print them and glue them in. I used a drop of thick varnish for glass cover
Libor
Yeah, what you mean by eagles, what you have mentioned above? I do not get it wrong, can you explain?
Hut
Visit this Community
Utrecht, Netherlands
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 09:32 PM UTC
Libor,

The German eagle on the side of the engineers house, see the link, which is by the way a great build.
http://planetarmor.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5042

Regards,
Pascal
grave_digger
Visit this Community
Clare, Ireland
Posted: Friday, January 30, 2009 - 04:07 AM UTC
Thanks, Pascal,
I see now. The build there is great, I have to say, I like it much. After some research I agree with everything you have written about them and about war painting as well. There were some painted in camouflage scheme, but it is very hard to find some pictures of lthem used during the war. However I think that most of them had what you have called wind guides and what are smoke deflectors. I have seen just very few pictures without them. I suppose that Trumpeter used one from very early type for its model (there was just 400 locomotives with this kind of tender from about 6000 made , and that was then replaced with Vanderbilt one) and I would say that the wood deflectors were changed for metal ones later as well.
Libor
monkybutt
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, January 30, 2009 - 11:03 AM UTC
thanks guys for the advice.

as for the paint scheme, i think i'll go with teh grey with the yellow camo

and yes, i am planning on displaying them together. the idea of putting the k5(e) in front of the locomotive sounds pretty cool. i'm gonna think about which way.

where can i find those RAL### paints, for example panzergrau? are there model master, or tamiya equivilents? or a ratio of tamiya paints i acn mix to achieve those colors?

well i'm off to do some work on the locomotive so i'll b back with more pics later!
 _GOTOTOP