Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
1/72 BR-52 Kreigslok and Krupp k5(e) Leopold
Gorizont
Visit this Community
Sachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,462 posts
Armorama: 1,289 posts
Posted: Monday, August 10, 2009 - 02:33 AM UTC
WOW! That really looks good!
It was a hard work with so many small parts.

greetings...
Soeren
monkybutt
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 381 posts
Armorama: 321 posts
Posted: Monday, August 17, 2009 - 06:42 AM UTC
thanks and yes, it took forever jut to build. i spent 2-3 months just building the gun and the locomotive/tender. iv been working on it since Christmas, and im just getting into the weathering phase. completely worth it however!!
monkybutt
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, August 19, 2009 - 12:17 PM UTC
does anyone know what color to paint the fire extinguishers on the sides of the generator on the gun? red or khaki or grey?

also what do u guys think about me repainting the undercarriage of the locomotive and tender black?

thanks,
andrew
monkybutt
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, August 20, 2009 - 11:23 AM UTC
iv seen the fire extinguisher on other models in red or just the color of the gun so i guess it could be either?? would red b incorrect?

also i saw on the cover of this book the little red and white things on the front of the truck but i havet seen it on any other models. any ideas as to why? should i paint these?
Hut
Visit this Community
Utrecht, Netherlands
KitMaker: 285 posts
Armorama: 238 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 20, 2009 - 07:00 PM UTC
Hello Andrew,

If seen several discussions about the color of fire extinguishers and one thing seems to be certain they are not red, but either khaki or the color of the equipment they are attached to.

And the red and white shields are used on freight trains instead of rear lights, these would only be attached during transport and for certain only to the last car in the train to indicate the end. This for trains coming up from the rear and to be sure no cars have become unattached during transport, which is apparently checked by train personnel attached to railroad crossings or stations (this according to a friend of mine who is a train expert). My friend is not sure however if the shield from the period are white and red, they could have been only red, the red and white being the modern version. But Libor may have more info on this.

Regards,
Pascal

monkybutt
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, August 23, 2009 - 10:27 AM UTC
progress!
here's just a picture of the set up so far...

tracksnearly done. rails will be painted later today or tomorrow and some further weathering

i removed and re-painted the water spots on the tender. i think they look better now. tell me what u think!

generator exhauset. i textured rust enamel paint with talcum powder which worked really well. it really, really flattened the color of the paint while providing nice scale texture. later on, i went back with dots of oil paint (yellow ochre, burnt umber, indian red and lamp black) and white mineral spirits to blend them to get a blotchy apperance.

i need to toutch up some of those scratches and the fire extinguisher

now just some more shots of progress:

monkybutt
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, August 25, 2009 - 09:48 AM UTC
just finished repainting updercarriage black. pictures will come later..
Trutek
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 46 posts
Armorama: 39 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 - 06:28 AM UTC
Looking good...how did you do, well I belive it's wash, around rivets on steam boiler...
monkybutt
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, August 27, 2009 - 06:11 AM UTC
i used oderless white mineral spirits and mixed windsor and newton oild indian red, burnt umber and yellow ochre to get the shade of rust i wanted. does that help?
Trutek
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 46 posts
Armorama: 39 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 27, 2009 - 09:47 AM UTC
It helps a lot, but i'm form Croatia and i know average english, so if you can help me and put a picture of oderless white mineral spirits. It'll be very helpfull to me...
grave_digger
Visit this Community
Clare, Ireland
KitMaker: 952 posts
Armorama: 834 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 01, 2009 - 09:14 AM UTC
Coming along nicely, Andrew!
Libor
Removed by original poster on 11/06/09 - 20:46:26 (GMT).
monkybutt
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, November 06, 2009 - 08:57 AM UTC
sorry it's been a while..school consumes all my time

thank you Libor for the kind comment

and Stjepan, i hope this picture helps. this is what i use. odorless white mineral spirit is just a medium for thinning artists oil paint. you can probably buy it anywhere that sells artist's paint

so here's what i'v been up to. september, i started taping off the metal clamps on the ties. half of the ties (45) took me 3 hours and i kinda lost interest becase school takes up so much time and there were more fun things to do. i had no school yesterday or today so i spent all day yesterday finishing the taping...6-7 hours worth because there was more than i expected. mindnumbing but now its done.
today, i sprayed the rails and all a mixture of tamiya red brown, flat red and flat yellow for a rusty color. i still need to paint the top of the rails steel and use some washes. also i started a little weathering on the undercarriage of the locomotive.
enjoy! please comment

i aslo tried discoloring the wooden deck on the 1st truck on the railway gun with yellow ochre oil paint. how does it look?

thanks for looking!
monkybutt
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, November 06, 2009 - 09:01 AM UTC
oh yeah, that's the new, black undercarriage
grave_digger
Visit this Community
Clare, Ireland
Posted: Friday, November 06, 2009 - 08:22 PM UTC
Hi Andrew
good progress since I was here (I am so busy now) looks you almost there well done
Cheers
Libor
monkybutt
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, November 09, 2009 - 01:12 PM UTC
thanks Libor,
It's getting there. more washes on the rails themselves and stains on the wooden ties. then weathering on the undercarriage of the locomotive and tender, maybe some pigments there, and more weathering on the boiler etc, some fine details like lights. i havent decided if i'll put rust on the railway gun. i like it how it is now but im not sure if it's realistic. then some discoloring on the floorboards of the gun and it'll b about finished. i hope i'll be done before Christmas. so far, it has been my longest build-11 months so far
monkybutt
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, November 13, 2009 - 11:45 AM UTC

monkybutt
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, November 30, 2009 - 08:32 AM UTC
No new pictures yet (camera battery's dead) but I bought some tiny lightbulbs and wire that I will install in the cab, head lamp and tail lamp on the locomotive and tender
monkybutt
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, December 13, 2009 - 05:41 AM UTC
These pictures are just dry fits of the main components.

Here are the tiny light bulbs I shall install in the head lamp of the locomotive and the tail lamp of the tender:

daffyduck
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 164 posts
Armorama: 155 posts
Posted: Friday, December 18, 2009 - 03:20 PM UTC
Hi Andrew,

Really nice model...but

There's always a but right? Just wondering if you're gonna tone down the rust on the rails? It looks a little too red to me...for what it's worth. Nicely done camo...that is tough to pull off...and get it right.

I liked the brown/gray color on the lower part of the engine better but that's just me. I just think the weathering would've been better with that combination since black is difficult to weather.

Overall really nice though, I'm impressed by the quality and detail for 1/72nd etc.

just another viewpoint....good luck!

Regards, Paul
monkybutt
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, December 20, 2009 - 07:13 AM UTC
Hi Paul,
Thanks for your comment. Yes, I do plan on toning down the rust with some brown washes. As for underneath the locomotive, the weathering is not quite finished so we'll see how it comes out.
-Andrew
monkybutt
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, December 28, 2009 - 07:23 AM UTC
I am off from school for 11 days, so I've had more time to work. This has been going on for a year now and I'm still loving it!
Weathering:

Now I'm at a loss for what to do next on the gun. I like how it looks now, but I'm afraid without any weathering it does not look realistic. Please, leave some suggestions!

monkybutt
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, January 30, 2010 - 02:53 AM UTC
Here is a month's work of progress: Weathering even on the gun, and beginning the final assembling.

Coal was made from crushed charcoal and sifted to get the smaller pieces.

I made my own airhoses from spare parts from the kit because the kit ones were bad, and one of them broke when I cut it from the sprue. I originally made some simple ones out of floral wire which were O.K. but a month ago, I visited the real K5(e) in Aberdeen, Maryland, USA and took some good pictures which I used to help me make new ones.

Now, I can't decide how the final setup should be. Here are the possibilities:

Thanks for looking
monkybutt
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, February 26, 2010 - 05:22 PM UTC
Well, after 13 months, my entry is complete! Hobby Boss' 1/72 BR 52 German Locomotive and Hobby Boss' 1/72 K5(e) German railway gun Leopold. Thank you to everyone for all their advice. This was long project and I enjoyed every minute!

grave_digger
Visit this Community
Clare, Ireland
Posted: Friday, February 26, 2010 - 09:26 PM UTC
Great work mate
Cheers
Libor