Hosted by Darren Baker
2 Leopard 2A4
chrisj
Visit this Community
Newfoundland, Canada
KitMaker: 473 posts
Armorama: 467 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 23, 2009 - 12:45 PM UTC
Thank you Harold, your always a good sorce for Leopard info.

Chris
Captin_Caveman_III
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 1,069 posts
Armorama: 1,062 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 23, 2009 - 04:50 PM UTC
Pic's, Images and Photos help a lot in giving good or bad news about kit parts. Love the gun barrel tip. can't wate to see more.
chrisj
Visit this Community
Newfoundland, Canada
Posted: Monday, August 24, 2009 - 05:09 AM UTC
I started work on the 2A4NO's rear add on storage boxes,
Here is the centre box the side ones will come later

These thing will be attached to the back, the box I cut from the kit, the reel is from the PS kit and the other part is from a Hobby Boss kit.

Turns out the Finnish Leopards now have a similar box added to thier tanks. I won't be doing this modification to the HB finnish build to many other thing to do with that kit.
Removed by original poster on 01/09/10 - 20:50:24 (GMT).
chrisj
Visit this Community
Newfoundland, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, August 25, 2009 - 02:12 PM UTC
The hard part of these storage extensions is build just a little more sanding and some detail and its done. I did underestimate this part of this build but some miner scratch building is always fun.

thedoog
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 263 posts
Armorama: 260 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 25, 2009 - 03:15 PM UTC
Hey Chris

Wicked cool, man! I love Leopards too! I also used some Perfectscale Modelbau on my Jagdpanzer Kanone, and they do wonderful stuff!

Hey, I wanted to let you know--I had the pleasure to get a private trip to Wolfhagen panzer base last year with my girlfriend, to visit some Canadians who were training on some Bundeswehr Leopards. Since you are doing these Leo's, I wanted to make available to you my Photobucket album of private photos of the Leopard 2A6, inside and out. I got to climb around it and take some cool shots!

I also have shots of the engine bays with the engines out, and the engines fully exposed, as well as some others. I hope you get some use of them!

Here's the link http://s170.photobucket.com/albums/u244/heydoog/Leopard%20II%20at%20Wolfhagen/

Some samples.....

chrisj
Visit this Community
Newfoundland, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, August 25, 2009 - 03:58 PM UTC
Karl thanks alot for posting those pics there great lots of detail shots. The one shot of the canadian turret is most useful. I'm in NY in oct. any show to see or shops to check out? I'm driving through the state so I'll be moving around and I'll be NY city for a week.

Thanks again

Chris
thedoog
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, August 25, 2009 - 04:40 PM UTC
Chris, make sure you check out the photobucket link in my post there!!! There are three pages of photos, inside and out!
Those are just samples--there's plenty more!

Hope the weather is good for you when you get here! Look up the SYRCON show; I think it's in October 18th--I'm going to do a weathering tutorial. It's a pretty nice show with a decent vendors display! Here;s the link to it

http://upcoming.yahoo.com/event/2803863

It's in Syracuse--hope to see you there!
chnoone
Visit this Community
Armed Forces Europe, United States
KitMaker: 1,036 posts
Armorama: 1,033 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 25, 2009 - 08:59 PM UTC
He Karl,

great picts U took there! As mentioned Wolfhagen was the home of PzBat.64, the bumper codes indicate that the canadian tanks were provided by the PzBat. 203, is that correct?
Being a great fan and builder of Perfect Scale models U might not want to miss this "Dream machine" they are coming up with very soon. Picts taken by another big fan of PS at my clubs annual show in Koblenz Germany last weekend.

http://s54.photobucket.com/albums/g112/achzarit/MBC%20Camouflage%202009/

Cheers
Christopher
chrisj
Visit this Community
Newfoundland, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 - 02:12 AM UTC
I did check out the PB pic as well just great. the Canadian turret pic do you have any more info on that? It turns out this might be the turret from the exact tank I'm modeling. One or two Leopards were sent back for repair after being damaged and only one had the 4x4 smoke dischargers. This is the one I'm modeling.
I'll try to get out to that show as well, sound good.

Chris
thedoog
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 - 02:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I did check out the PB pic as well just great. the Canadian turret pic do you have any more info on that? It turns out this might be the turret from the exact tank I'm modeling. One or two Leopards were sent back for repair after being damaged and only one had the 4x4 smoke dischargers. This is the one I'm modeling.
I'll try to get out to that show as well, sound good.

Chris

Chris, is this that tank you're talking about? I apologize, as I'm not really "up" on what constitute the "Canadian" Leopard in these pics.

If this is the tank in question, all I can tell you is that these couple of Leo
s were parked off to the back of the motor pool. The were outside the sheds there where the Canadians were basically going through the tanks--taking the engines out, learning to repair and service them, so maybe this tank was indeed the one that was sent back?

Dunno if you saw there, but I also have an album in my photobucket of the Buffalo ARV too. I'll check if I have any more photos of that square-sided Leo; my instinct tells me that I didn't have as many of them because I was mostly focused on the ones in the sheds and immediately outside--they were the more recent A6's.

CHRISTOPHER--once again, I apologize; I'm not exactly sure about the bumper codes of the tanks--there is a photo of the sign outside the base, and it does indeed say that Wolfhagen was the "Home of Pzabt 64-'the Wolf'" --but honestly, I'm not sure of the 203rd; sorry, I wish I could be of more help.

I DO have the email of the guys in Afghanistan, so if they respond, I can get some info from them. I'll see what I can come up with, but it may be a while before they get back..
chnoone
Visit this Community
Armed Forces Europe, United States
KitMaker: 1,036 posts
Armorama: 1,033 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 - 03:10 AM UTC
He, no need to apologize !

All depends on when U were there, PzBat. 64 was deactivated around Sept. 2007, they handed over their Leo 2A4(as in Pic) to the polish Army in 2005 to receive 2A6. I know that they did not have the "M", additional mine protected, version the Canadians got. Looks like 203 handed over their 2A6M and that the Wolfshagen base was use by Canadians to get started.

Thanks for your quick response!
Cheers
Christopher
chrisj
Visit this Community
Newfoundland, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 - 03:32 AM UTC
Karl the Canadian tanks were sent with Slat armour, here you can see the welded on plates for the slat brackets and t mount antennas also you can see the cooling system box on this turrret one last thing the black maple leaf .

thedoog
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 - 03:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

He, no need to apologize !

All depends on when U were there, PzBat. 64 was deactivated around Sept. 2007, they handed over their Leo 2A4(as in Pic) to the polish Army in 2005 to receive 2A6. I know that they did not have the "M", additional mine protected, version the Canadians got. Looks like 203 handed over their 2A6M and that the Wolfshagen base was use by Canadians to get started.

Thanks for your quick response!
Cheers
Christopher

Yes, Christopher; Wolfhagen was almost deserted when I was there. They were about the only people on base--probably one of the reasons they allowed a civilian to come in and climb around their tanks! lol!

Speaking of that mine protection, the Canadians did show me some of their mods that they did--I'l see if I have any pics of that; I haven't loaded in all of my photos from that day, so I'll see if I have any of those details. .

Karl
LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 4,085 posts
Armorama: 3,917 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 - 04:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Karl the Canadian tanks were sent with Slat armour, here you can see the welded on plates for the slat brackets and t mount antennas also you can see the cooling system box on this turrret one last thing the black maple leaf .

FYI...The boxes are not for the cooling system.
Removed by original poster on 01/09/10 - 21:09:00 (GMT).
LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 - 04:48 AM UTC
Neither of those.
chrisj
Visit this Community
Newfoundland, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 - 05:51 AM UTC
Lets just call them boxes
LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 - 06:06 AM UTC
It is for bike parts....ever see a mountain bike with slat armour?
Removed by original poster on 01/09/10 - 21:07:26 (GMT).
Captin_Caveman_III
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 1,069 posts
Armorama: 1,062 posts
Posted: Friday, August 28, 2009 - 04:58 PM UTC
Hay Chrisj your build is moving along realy well keep it up M8 and hello to TheDoog grat photoalbum link "Rock On" M8.
chrisj
Visit this Community
Newfoundland, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, September 01, 2009 - 07:04 AM UTC
Got a little done on the Hobby Boss kit. There is so much to do to bring this up to standard of Dragon or Tamiya.
The main upgrade form the Perfect Scale kit is the rear haul. You have to cut of a little. it all fits well. I have to admit its not so bad hacking at a kit knowing that I have another HB haul sitting in reserve.

This is another nice upgrade from the PS kit. The drive wheel.
chrisj
Visit this Community
Newfoundland, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, September 02, 2009 - 11:48 AM UTC
little update here. there are alot of problems with the Hobby Boss kit, Its going to take some time to get er up and running. Heres a pic of some of the filled in sink spots and bad seems. Still a fun kit to bring up from the gutter and it only cost 15 bucks plus its relly the only game in town when it comes to the 2A4, the Revell kit is hard to find.
chrisj
Visit this Community
Newfoundland, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, September 02, 2009 - 03:53 PM UTC
Here's the Two together at about the same stage in there build. At this point I got to say thanks to Jim Carswell for sending me excellent pictures of a Finnish Leopard. Also a big thanks to Stephen Hinz for doing the same of some Norwigion Leopards. Guys these pics are big time, helping me. Thanks again.

chrisj
Visit this Community
Newfoundland, Canada
Posted: Friday, September 04, 2009 - 02:55 AM UTC
here's a pic of the front of the Finnish Leopard. They have added a few things to their tanks and the mods are not in the Hobby Boss or Perfect Scale kit So I used a little PE from Eduard and did a little scratch work.