Hosted by Darren Baker
Am Ende steht der Sieg - Berlin 1945
MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
KitMaker: 3,377 posts
Armorama: 1,088 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 27, 2009 - 09:58 PM UTC
I have a plan - which I have been working on getting on tracks for some time, but so far I haven’t found time in the calendar to execute the plan.

I have always been fascinated with the Battle for Berlin, Its one of history’s most epic battle, not because the outcome wasn´t pretty much given, but more because of the absurdity, futility and the desperation characterizing this battle.

Hitler and his headquarter degrading more and more into madness, a suffering population, desperate defenders knowing the outcome but still fighting fearing the revenge of the opponent, the Russians intent on bringing down there opponent and paying back for the years of devastation of the motherland and last and most unreal, the still loyal party soldiers painting slogans like “Am ende steht der sieg” and “Berlin bleibt Deutsch” – did they really believe what they where painting ?

Anyway – the diorama will feature more levels, it will include a subway entrance, a collapsed house, a semi collapsed house with intact basement, street scene littered with rubble and debris, advancing Russian troops and hiding/surrendering Germans.

Naturally the slogan „Am Ende steht der Sieg“ will find its way into a building wall.

I am not really planning on any vehicles, maybe a deserted nebelwerfer or a burnt out saloon car from Bronco, but time will tell if there’s room for it.

Layout will be done in Styrofoam board – easy to work with, and kind of “free” as it is trash from the wife´s frequent visits to Ikea ….

I am currently playing with the layout – pictures will follow shortly!

Cheers/Jan
Pavlovsdog
Visit this Community
Carlow, Ireland
KitMaker: 438 posts
Armorama: 352 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 27, 2009 - 10:27 PM UTC
Hi Jan ,

What you are working on sounds like a ambitous project, I wish you well with it , If you have not done so allready have a look at the film "Downfall" Untergang in German It is full of scenes that will act as an insperation.

I like your idea of people crowding in to a basement , I might be interesting to have a combination of military and civilian figures and maybe a child all sheltering from a bombardment, dipicting the horrors of urban warfare.

Hope this helps.

Jerry
Dangeroo
Visit this Community
Zurich, Switzerland
KitMaker: 2,058 posts
Armorama: 1,656 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 27, 2009 - 10:59 PM UTC
Sound ambitious! Looking forward to your progress!

Quoted Text

Layout will be done in Styrofoam board – easy to work with, and kind of “free” as it is trash from the wife´s frequent visits to Ikea ….

Haha! I do the same! Too bad the appartment is now fully equipped...

Cheerio and good luck!
Stef
jba
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 1,845 posts
Armorama: 777 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 28, 2009 - 02:06 AM UTC
.."With a Type XXI popping out the underground station" eh?
Oh dear, it's going to be a looong one
my best wishes!
Gorizont
Visit this Community
Sachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,462 posts
Armorama: 1,289 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 28, 2009 - 02:28 AM UTC
Hi, that sounds interesting!
I also now have some styrofoam-boards at home and think about what to build. ;-)

greetings...
Soeren
martyncrowther
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,548 posts
Armorama: 1,407 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 28, 2009 - 02:32 AM UTC
Looking forward to this epic Dio, Like you I have an absloute fascination with Berlin and the battle. I went to Berlin some years back; Its awsome.

Good luck.
MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
Posted: Wednesday, October 28, 2009 - 03:08 AM UTC
Thanks for the support!

Quoted Text

.."With a Type XXI popping out the underground station" eh?

- I might just include some water, just to make you happy and keep in style

I will pick among the following figuresets:

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/review/2242

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/review/1066

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/review/4575
martyncrowther
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, October 28, 2009 - 04:17 AM UTC
Jan, Dragons new Russian set is brilliant, The Soviet Black sea commando Crimea 1944 6457 They would be good for the dio.
MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
Posted: Wednesday, October 28, 2009 - 05:37 AM UTC
Thanks Martyn - I hope to get by with stuff im my stash, but its sure a nice set!

Initial layout - it needs much more space between the entrance and the buildings:

Gorizont
Visit this Community
Sachsen, Germany
Posted: Wednesday, October 28, 2009 - 06:53 AM UTC
Looks good so far!
This gives me some inspiration. But for my plans I prefer "complete" buildings, not damaged or ruined.
Perhaps I can find good photos for that.

greetings...
Soeren
Panzer-Ole
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 155 posts
Armorama: 145 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 28, 2009 - 07:12 AM UTC
Hi Jan

Looking very nice. I really like the compact layout and the difference in height.

Keep the updates coming

Happy modeling
Ole
martyncrowther
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, October 28, 2009 - 03:10 PM UTC
Great start on the base Jan, looking forward to more.
Jampie
Visit this Community
Netherlands
KitMaker: 15 posts
Armorama: 5 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 28, 2009 - 09:08 PM UTC
Nice idea. I'm sure it will turrn out as a beautifull dio as well! ! !
Keep it going/coming
Kastanova
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 150 posts
Armorama: 135 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 28, 2009 - 09:23 PM UTC
Excellent idea looking froward to seeing your methods for war torn urban settings, May i suggest Dragons volksturm???
and even Dragons luftwaffe feld divsion in normandy set. and a mix of services as flak crew were used a heer artillrey and later on infantry as time and manpower ran out.

Cheers,
Mat
MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
Posted: Friday, October 30, 2009 - 08:25 PM UTC
Thanks for all the suggestions on figures - theres undoubtly alot of relavant sets to be used, but I allready have a large stash of figures that I am hoping to reduce with this build - problem is that I often only use one or two figures from each set, and i cant bring myself to trow out the boxes before they are empty - resulting in a large stash of allmost empty boxes ...

Anyway - since the U-Bahn entrance will be partly covered its a must that this area is done first. Im more or less satisfied with the general lyout - so I can turn my attention the this part.

First i need to give the styrofoam a even surface to give the walls and floor the right finish - usually tiles and some ornamentation was seen in the subways - and due to being underground it was protected against stray bullets and artilleryshells - i am considering doing a shellhole in the roof if i can make it suit the storyline - it will give some light down and ad some visual interest.

Surplus and cheep materials used - its allmost a sport doing a diorama on a budget

martyncrowther
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, October 31, 2009 - 01:19 AM UTC
Nice progress Jan, the steps look great.
smitsan
Visit this Community
Latvia
KitMaker: 51 posts
Armorama: 50 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 31, 2009 - 01:20 AM UTC
Mathew you doing very nice job! it will be interesting to see it when it finished.
P.S:Rammstein forever!
MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
Posted: Saturday, October 31, 2009 - 02:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Mathew you doing very nice job! it will be interesting to see it when it finished.
P.S:Rammstein forever!

Im sure he´s doing fine, he certainly is helpfull suggesting usefull figures - but I think you just might re-read the tread - by the way - I like Rammstein too

Anyway - a bit of progress on the subway wall - having added some tiles and other plaster work as separate pieces its time to even out the work a bit - I use a ready mixed woodfiller, its more expencive than "mix it yourself" but its allways ready to use and you dont end up with mixing too much.

I spread it out with a artist spatula:

Make sure to get into all the corners!

And finish with a damp brush to even it out and bring out the lines in the tiles. Not too much water as we are working on paper and carboard!

I could have used something that i could have scribed the lines in, but I find this way produces a more uneven and natural finish.

Cheers/Jan
guille
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 98 posts
Armorama: 94 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 31, 2009 - 02:56 AM UTC
Nice work, Jan. I am enjoying this build so far. Very inspirational to say the least.
Gorizont
Visit this Community
Sachsen, Germany
Posted: Saturday, October 31, 2009 - 03:15 AM UTC
That looks very good!

I also have some of the cardboard and styrofoam sheets at home, but it´s a shame for me and my poor feeling to scratchbuild things.

Looking forward to see the next pictures!

greetings...
Soeren
MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
Posted: Sunday, November 01, 2009 - 01:52 AM UTC
Thanks Billy!

Quoted Text

I also have some of the cardboard and styrofoam sheets at home, but it´s a shame for me and my poor feeling to scratchbuild things.

Well Soeren, its go ahead ad try it - since its surplus materials the only expence is your time invested - and it just might turn out great - thats the way I started out, and nothing beats the fealing of having build your own unique diorama!

Heres a bit progress, first i have finished the stairs and the other wall and plastered it. after a reasonable dryingtime i have primed it with a ordinary waterbased black paint for wood - find a cheep one at your local "home depot". I have to finish the underground section before i can seal it up and begin on the surfaces pavement and road.

One thing i find detracts from a otherwise fine diorama is a slobby finish on the frame or border of the diorama - i this case its important to get a good transition between the walls in the underground and the outside of the diorama.

To get a even surface to work on - I have glued on some thin carbord to hide the uneaven styrofoam and to provide a good base for adding the woodplating. I have to do this before i can paint and finish the underground walls so that it gets a good fit.

Since its a mix of black and white its hard to see the carbord - but its there

Nordland
Visit this Community
Denmark
KitMaker: 29 posts
Armorama: 20 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 01, 2009 - 02:56 AM UTC
Hi Jan,

Seems like another wonderful little creation you are working on. Will it be a part of your model- tsunami for Esbjerg??

Best regards
Morten
Emeritus
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
Armorama: 808 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 01, 2009 - 05:30 AM UTC
Looks like a great start!
Are you planning to go for a subway setting like on this photo?
MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
Posted: Sunday, November 01, 2009 - 06:15 AM UTC
Ha!, theres only a week Morten - I can be fast, but not with something this size

Quoted Text

Are you planning to go for a subway setting like on this photo?

Yes, I have the same photo and have even made a little print of the sign

The Russians won´t be moving down the stairs - yet - in my "shot".

Cheers/Jan
joryyys
Visit this Community
Ain, France
KitMaker: 64 posts
Armorama: 57 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 01, 2009 - 06:21 AM UTC
That ambush set from dragon is HILARIOUS:

_GOTOTOP