_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
M1128 Mobile Gun System
shopkin4
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 1,135 posts
Armorama: 1,030 posts
Posted: Friday, December 11, 2009 - 06:13 PM UTC

Hello everyone

I started my build log on here which happened to be Tamiya Challenger 2 Operation Telic, HOWEVER I'm assuming others suffer from what I suffer from, sudden inspiration. So im assuming like many other people I got bit by something that totally made me switch gears. So before I go any further I plan on making this blog as entertaining as it is informative. This doesn't mean that I am the best builder around, but I would like to see a lot of informative posts from everyone which could not only help me but others as well. So let me provide you guys with some background...

I am a 21 year old 4th year college student majoring in Mechanical Engineering at one of the better engineering schools here in the United States. I am on the prowl apply every where for internships/jobs. I am planning on working in the Defense Industry with the hopes of working for companies such as Lockheed-Martin, General Dynamics, Force Protection, BAe Systems, Rhienmetall, etc. This is my first stint into building modern armor and I have to say it's very interesting and I think I will be modeling this for a very long time now. So you may ask, where am I going with this and I will tie this all together in a little. So I am frequenting Armorama one day and come across all this Stryker talk and decide to look further. Seeing a vehicle with all that slat armor just left shivers down my spine and I wouldn't even fathom attempting it at the moment. However, I know myself too well and I think I may be up for the challenge. Also, knowing myself, I knew I wanted to do something different.

While at home in the good ol' Windy City, I was able to visit my LHS and I picked up AFV Modeller Issue 48 and that did it for me. I knew I had to build a Stryker. Now back at school with finals around the corner I decided I could spend my down time performing hours upon hours of research I decided I would be building AFV Clubs M1128 Stryker MGS. I searched every military discussion forum and was able to find very elusive combat pictures of the MGS that provided me with a basis for my diorama. Soon there after I unleashed the plastic and ended up buying things that I've been meaning to purchase as well as some things for this specific project. Which leads me to this list:
1. Waldron Precision Punch and Die Set
2. Lots of Vallejo Paints
3. Few Tamiya Paints
4. Mr Surfacer 500 Spray (gonna give this a go for anti slip)
5. Lots of MiG production oils and pigments
6. AFV Club's M1128 Stryker MGS
7. Eduard M1128 Detail Set
8. Alpine Minatures AFV Crew
9. Hobby Fan M1128 MGS Crew
10. NWSL Chopper II
11. Random Styrene
12. White Milliput
13. Eduard Slat Armor for M1126
14. Random Stryker bits from Mother.

As for what I plan on doing, here are some photos to give you guys some sort of an idea...

So I will finish finals in 9 days and the building will begin!!!

Until then
arpikaszabo
Visit this Community
Praha, Czech Republic
KitMaker: 674 posts
Armorama: 637 posts
Posted: Friday, December 11, 2009 - 11:43 PM UTC
Dear Sean,
this looks like a monumental project, I will be watching with interest. I think the Surfacer spray wont work for antislip, the layer it sprays is not rough at all.
corsutton
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 544 posts
Armorama: 511 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 12, 2009 - 01:26 AM UTC
I would try the Terracotta textured spray paint by Rust Oleum for the non skid. It works really good and is fairly inexpensive. Look at you local home improvement store.
shopkin4
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Saturday, December 12, 2009 - 01:40 AM UTC
I was really successful spraying 500 through my airbrush which I may do again. I live in a major city and spray cans are illegal within city limits. However, it would make life easier. Spraying 500 though the airbrush sure is a hassle
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 12, 2009 - 02:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I live in a major city and spray cans are illegal within city limits.

Man, what part of Comunististan do you live in? Thats just stupid.

I third the Terra Cotta spray. It is much easier and looks better in my opinion. I would drive outside the barbed wire and sneek some back into the gulag.
sgtsauer
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 2,605 posts
Armorama: 1,814 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 12, 2009 - 03:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I third the Terra Cotta spray. It is much easier and looks better in my opinion. I would drive outside the barbed wire and sneek some back into the gulag.

Gino, you beat me to it. I was wondering the same thing.
seb43
Visit this Community
Paris, France
KitMaker: 2,315 posts
Armorama: 2,158 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 12, 2009 - 03:52 AM UTC
Sean
I am happy to see that you are decided to build this beast
Cheers
Seb
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 12, 2009 - 04:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I realize it's only been 15 years or so, but yeah, word has gotten around. Much like California wanting to ban black cars...

http://www.nytimes.com/1995/03/04/us/justice-stevens-allows-chicago-to-ban-spray-paint.html

Anyway Sean, looking forward to your progress. I'm pretty sure you've got some good references there.
shopkin4
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Saturday, December 12, 2009 - 10:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I realize it's only been 15 or so, but yeah, word has gotten around. Much like California wanting to ban black cars...

http://www.nytimes.com/1995/03/04/us/justice-stevens-allows-chicago-to-ban-spray-paint.html

Anyway Sean, looking forward to your progress. I'm pretty sure you've got some good references there.

Well I am back in Champaign now to finish the remainder of my finals. I had to come home for a funeral today but back to school work now. I'll go to the Home Depot while I'm down here and pick it up. I'm actually looking forward to masking it off because I'm like that haha.

Also Brent and Gino, a younger me was partly responsible for the spray can ban. I think it's why I'm decently good with an airbrush I'm not admitting to anything but that was all in the past.

Robert and Sebastian, you guys really did me in so I will be building this on for sure, however I have way too many kits in the stash so I will be building my Polish Leopard 2A4 with it as well. I have the Real Model update set as well so I really need to start clearing out the stash. WIth that being said, you guys are getting two for one . I have a month to build it all so in 8 days I will begin. WIsh me luck!

Also, can anyone help me out with finding combat or deployed images which the MGS isn't using slat. I'm still having some apprehensions towards modifying the already difficult slat armor.

Thanks everyone!
metooshelah
Visit this Community
Jerusalem, Israel
KitMaker: 1,507 posts
Armorama: 1,304 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 12, 2009 - 11:03 AM UTC
looks like it'll evolve to a pretty nice build. good luck!
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Saturday, December 12, 2009 - 01:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Also, can anyone help me out with finding combat or deployed images which the MGS isn't using slat.

Unfortunately, no. All that have been deployed so far have had SLAT on them. There is a new add-on armor package replacing the SLAT, but it has only been seen on other varients of the Stryker, not the M1128 yet.
shopkin4
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Saturday, December 12, 2009 - 02:00 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Also, can anyone help me out with finding combat or deployed images which the MGS isn't using slat.

Unfortunately, no. All that have been deployed so far have had SLAT on them. There is a new add-on armor package replacing the SLAT, but it has only been seen on other varients of the Stryker, not the M1128 yet.

Hmm, this presents an interesting challenge. I wish I could think about it at this moment but I'm writing a paper on Dynamic Mechanic Systems due at midnight tonight . I will post some more questions and ideas up here once I finish my paper. Thanks for answering so quickly but for now
seb43
Visit this Community
Paris, France
KitMaker: 2,315 posts
Armorama: 2,158 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 12, 2009 - 04:01 PM UTC
Concerning your issue with slat, may be you can check in Astan, you will find stryker with and without slat AFAIK.
Maybe some MGS also
here is an
article about this

Still looking for some info on slat or not
Stay tune
chrisj
Visit this Community
Newfoundland, Canada
KitMaker: 473 posts
Armorama: 467 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 12, 2009 - 05:45 PM UTC
Hi Sean
Just do the slat. Its a good time when you get to the end.
mother
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
Armorama: 1,370 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 12, 2009 - 06:25 PM UTC
Looks like your just about ready to get started Sean. Seems like you have more paints and such than kit parts As to the slat armor, if you decide to use slat I’ll help you out like I did with mine, in the photos I sent you that’s how it will have to be tackled. It be better over the phone for me to explain, so if needed PM me and I’ll give you my phone number.

Looking forward to the start,
Joe
TonyDz
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 420 posts
Armorama: 419 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 13, 2009 - 02:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Not true. M1128 are being used in Afganistan without slat.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/47209/thread/1258575592/Strykers+in+Afganistan

This discussion show pics of them. You'll have to scratch build the mine plate they are using now.

Using the M1126 slat for the M1128 would be a waste of time. They are very different.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 13, 2009 - 06:02 AM UTC
Guess they have been deployed w/o SLAT to A'stan then. I hadn't seen any yet.
shopkin4
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 13, 2009 - 06:48 AM UTC
Found some more pictures. One very important addition that I noticed was the presence of a fire suppression system located on the rear of each Stryker. From what I've noticed so far, this has only been seen on Strykers in Afghanistan. Also, I discovered some additional views of the mine protection plate. I have some great reference photos of the plates already but never hurts to have more

TonyDz
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 420 posts
Armorama: 419 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 13, 2009 - 07:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I discovered some additional views of the mine protection plate.

Kind of hard not to, since they were all in the link I posted.

Quoted Text

I have some great reference photos of the plates already but never hurts to have more.

Feel free to post those up, so that we all might see.

Quoted Text

Guess they have been deployed w/o SLAT to A'stan then. I hadn't seen any yet.

Guess you hadn't. Batter up.
shopkin4
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 13, 2009 - 07:52 AM UTC
Well yes the credit goes to you. Thats a great site to pull photos from.

And the photos I got came from a CD 18bravo sent me. It has amazing a ton of detailed photos. Send him a PM and he'll get it to you.

Here are two. There was a thread here some where on the plate but I can't seem to find it. Anyone know the link?

SinMike
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 30 posts
Armorama: 27 posts
Posted: Monday, December 14, 2009 - 07:19 AM UTC
Sean,

Building the mine protection kit/blast mitigation kit involves a lot more then only the plate shown at the back. the plate at the back is combined with a protection kit at the front driver area. The aft kit also replaces or overlaps the side armor in the "wheelwell" with new plates to which the bottom plate is attached. I have used the bravo18 cd for reference and still don't have enough information to accurately create the kits. I am missing some side shots, it is fairly difficult to find good reference photo's.
hopefully this helps a little bit.

gr. Mike
shopkin4
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Monday, December 14, 2009 - 07:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Sean,

Building the mine protection kit/blast mitigation kit involves a lot more then only the plate shown at the back. the plate at the back is combined with a protection kit at the front driver area. The aft kit also replaces or overlaps the side armor in the "wheelwell" with new plates to which the bottom plate is attached. I have used the bravo18 cd for reference and still don't have enough information to accurately create the kits. I am missing some side shots, it is fairly difficult to find good reference photo's.
hopefully this helps a little bit.

gr. Mike

Yes I was thinking this may be something where I may bite off more than I can chew. I've got the help of alot of good people on my side so when it comes to getting started. Hoping companies come out with new things soon.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, December 14, 2009 - 08:18 AM UTC
Unfortunately the civilians at the refit facility don't like to work in hurricane-like weather, so I was forced to take the photos with the wheels on.
The best idea of how the components interlock comes from photos 698-703 in the third folder. Even a lot of what you see in those photos is not visible once the wheels are on. These were taken with me literally laying underneath the vehicle. Photo 707 shows about all you can see from a normal perspective.
Weather permitting, I'm going to ge then to remove the wheels next time as they did when I needed shots of the plumbomg.
shopkin4
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Monday, December 14, 2009 - 08:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Unfortunately the civilians at the refit facility don't like to work in hurricane-like weather, so I was forced to take the photos with the wheels on.
The best idea of how the components interlock comes from photos 698-703 in the third folder. Even a lot of what you see in those photos is not visible once the wheels are on. These were taken with me literally laying underneath the vehicle. Photo 707 shows about all you can see from a normal perspective.
Weather permitting, I'm going to ge then to remove the wheels next time as they did when I needed shots of the plumbomg.

When you do that would you be able to send me the photos? Also, did they do refits with the fire suppression system? I saw you took photos of them but it's a tad bit hard to follow the lines with the slat in the way. Hope this happens soon! I come home 5 days!
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, December 14, 2009 - 09:09 AM UTC
Assuming I get them, it won't be a problem sending them to you. The problem is the unpredictable weather at Ft. Lewis.
 _GOTOTOP