Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
Korean War Campaign
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 25, 2011 - 06:55 AM UTC
Stefan,

Guess who got the new Tasca Easy Eight to review? I've gotta build it anyway, and it's Korean, so I'll pop it into the campaign! I'm planning to use the Rice's Red Devils markings.

Of course, that M36 is still on the cards before Christmas!

Progress pics as I get 'em.

Tom
Dangeroo
Visit this Community
Zurich, Switzerland
KitMaker: 2,058 posts
Armorama: 1,656 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 25, 2011 - 07:12 AM UTC
Tom, glad you got it! I would have jumped at it as well but missed it. It's in good hands with you and I'm looking forward to progress pics and your participation in the campaign!

To all and everyone: I am currently reading a first person account by Addison Terry who was an FO with the 27th Infantry Rgt. "Wolfhounds" during the fighting around Pusan. It's called "The Battle For Pusan" and was published in 2006 by Presidio. It's an honest to God account of his time in Korea and it was written while he recovered from his wounds and then lost for 50 years before being published. I can thoroughly recommend it to anyone who wants to get a feel of how it was on the front back then!

Cheers!
Stefan
muttley
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 251 posts
Armorama: 202 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 26, 2011 - 01:56 PM UTC
Progress pics here guys

Worked the whole week on the LVT(A)5 and after a lot of painful time sanding enormous mold flash and gluing 30 year old plastic parts together, I managed to finish most of the turret

As you can see on the first pic, the .30 cal MG's that came with the kit was "super wrong" it just had to be completely replaced. You can also see the set of highly inaccurate tracks at the background and they are ugly ugly ugly

The next pic shows the Tamiya .30 cal I mounted which is still not the best but a little bit more decent looking. The MG mount is scratch-built and the shields are made out of thinner sheet styrene.

From this.......

....to this.

Dangeroo
Visit this Community
Zurich, Switzerland
Posted: Sunday, June 05, 2011 - 07:45 AM UTC
Rei, those MG certainly look a lot better! But the tracks look more like Diehl tracks for an Leopard or something than anything for an LVT...

Just to show you guys I've started a bit on my build, the wheels are done and the bee-hind as well:

Looks like summer's hit us, judging from the activity in this campaign... Maybe a year is too loong to keep the campaign running steadily. Hopefully it will catch up later this year.

Cheers!
Stefan
stansmith
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 611 posts
Armorama: 584 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 05, 2011 - 08:31 AM UTC
hi guys, i haven't yet started anything yet, because i don't have a model for this campaign yet. my granda has taken quite an interest into my models, he's danish so i thought it would be a good idea to make him a danish tank or model. but i don't know if denmark had any involvement in the korean war.
can anyone help?
stan
Dangeroo
Visit this Community
Zurich, Switzerland
Posted: Sunday, June 05, 2011 - 09:21 AM UTC
Nah, sorry Stan, no involvement of the Danish apart from a medical unit. Definitely no tanks... Hope you will find something fitting, lots to choose from!

Cheers!
Stefan
barkingdigger
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, June 10, 2011 - 09:10 AM UTC
Hi Stefan,

After a couple weeks of frantic building I've just submitted the Easy-Eight review! I won't repeat all the pics, but here are two "in progress" shots:

Since I limited myself to a strict "OOB" build it made all the choices for me! That made for a really fast build despite the complexity of the kit. Still, like all my builds it can now stall for months at the painting stage...

Tom
muddyfields
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 884 posts
Armorama: 622 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 14, 2011 - 10:19 PM UTC
Hi
With all the great build's on the go for this campaign it looks like I've been lagging behind. I've been finishing off a major build for me & finaly manage to do some build for this campaign. I've started to build a SU76 from Alan.
It's going very well with no problems.
I've a link to my build.
http://s377.photobucket.com/albums/oo218/muddyfields/Korean%20War%20Su%2076/
I'm going to try & convert some Chinese Volunter figure's into the Crew for it.
Dangeroo
Visit this Community
Zurich, Switzerland
Posted: Monday, June 27, 2011 - 01:12 AM UTC
Tom, nice to have you on board and good to see the Tasca kit built up. Looking forward to your paint. Tiger face I presume?

Shaun, looks like you're off to a good start with that old kit, although it looks better than its reputation. Any problems so far?

Sorry for my absence lately, life interfering and several projects I want to finish before we move to our new home in August. So bear with me please! Not really modeling weather anyhow, currently 31° C here in Switzerland!

Now, chart time, maybe that will get things flowing again. Hope everything's on it! We've had a couple of new sign-ups since last time and also a few who left unfortunately, so we're still about the same strength as last time. Here we go:

Cheers!
Stefan
barkingdigger
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 27, 2011 - 09:02 AM UTC
Stefan,

Good to see I've finally marked up on the board! I hear you about not being modelling weather - we've got a "Spanish plume" of hot sticky weather here in London. Certainly not conducive to painting! And yes, of course it'll have a face - but I believe it's meant to be a demon rather than a tiger.

Tom
Bigrip74
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,026 posts
Armorama: 1,604 posts
Posted: Monday, June 27, 2011 - 10:01 AM UTC
I finally put some OD on the M41 and will post a photo later.

BOB
muddyfields
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 884 posts
Armorama: 622 posts
Posted: Monday, June 27, 2011 - 10:13 PM UTC
Hi
The Old Alan Su76 as given me a few headaches mainly with the tracks etc.
The tracks themselves are fine nice detail few injector marks. The problem comes from the bogie wheels are to thick to go inbetween the track teeth, so had to take a small slice off the roller. Then the mudguard sits on a small ledge which is too low to allow the tracks to fit under. So had to slice some of this off so that the tracks fitted under the ledge & mudguards.
Other than these issues the kit has gone together without any problems.
The plastic's very hard to cut . Nearly ready to prime it now.
Dangeroo
Visit this Community
Zurich, Switzerland
Posted: Thursday, July 14, 2011 - 08:05 AM UTC
Evenin' everybody!

Quiet in here... Everyone on vacation?

Slow progress on my side, but still some progress... Can't afford not to finish in time as the campaign leader. And with the job I've taken upon myself it could get tough... Here's a pic of the easy part, the hull and wheels are finished:

Now comes the part where I ask myself if I'm still sane... Not that the single link tracks are bad enough on their own, with substantial mounting points (not to mention the seam lines) and two pin marks on each one. One can really see that this is an older DML kit that requires a bit more clean up. On top of that I had to decide to add the two bolts on each end... With 4 per link, 78 links per side, that makes 624 bolts altogether...

So... If anyone has some of those nice DML rubber band tracks left over from the Cyperhobby Orange Box Pershing, I would highly appreciate any donations or offers...

Cheers!
Stefan
mecanix
Visit this Community
Kerry, Ireland
KitMaker: 201 posts
Armorama: 189 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 16, 2011 - 11:54 AM UTC
I am down for an M37 HMC andI have just picked this up again. I plan to build the"for Hell Fire" vehicle from the 58th Field Artillery with the colourful marking on the "pulpit"
Its the one in the Squadron Signal book on the M24 Chaffee.

I am quite comfortable with the" nose art", I suppose you could call it and the serial number.
However the bumper codes are not visible.
My own experiences and references make me think it should be:-
3-FA 58 ??
meaning 3rd Infantry Division-58th Field Artillery ? for Co;Letter, ? for vehicle column number. Can anyone confirm or deny my reasoning.
Thanks for the help.
regards
Charlie-66
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 771 posts
Armorama: 750 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 20, 2011 - 03:33 PM UTC
OK, finally got some paint on the flame throwing Sherman. I still need to do the dot filters, and then some weathering before I call this one complete. Once I get the weathering done I'll glue in the lenses for the headlights and turret spot light as well. And yes I know I did not add the "plumbing" to the left side of the tank. I haven't been able to find any decent references on that, and recently saw some pictures where the tanks did not have it so I left it off.

andyman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 142 posts
Armorama: 134 posts
Posted: Monday, July 25, 2011 - 04:54 AM UTC
Nice one Guy. I like the way it came out.
Andy
Charlie-66
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, July 25, 2011 - 05:55 AM UTC
Thanks Andy, I was able to get the dot filters done this weekend. I still have some weathering and pigments left to do. I hope to get it done this week with pictures to follow.
Dangeroo
Visit this Community
Zurich, Switzerland
Posted: Monday, July 25, 2011 - 06:00 AM UTC
Mecaninx, really looking forward to your build, be sure to post lots of in progress pics! Sorry, can't help with the bumper code, but your reasoning sounds about right.

Guy, nice looking Sherman. You OD looks first class. What do you mean by "plumbing"?

In the meantime I've checked again some photos and noticed there are no bolts at the end of the track but rather holes... Well, chances are high that if I drilled these they wouldn't all be in the same place and that would look stoooopid... So I decided to let it go and instead make sure the tracks are nice and muddy. Ah, the wonderful side of military modeling... Can'd do that with no ship or plane...

Cheers!
Stefan
GregCloseCombat
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,408 posts
Armorama: 2,394 posts
Posted: Monday, July 25, 2011 - 04:17 PM UTC
Guy - a lot of nice details on there. look forward to the finished tank
Charlie-66
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 26, 2011 - 09:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Guy, nice looking Sherman. You OD looks first class. What do you mean by "plumbing"?

Cheers!
Stefan

Stefan, by plumbing I mean the assembly that appears on the left side of the hull in the box art. Martin Visser has done a really nice build on this kit here, and he discusses the issue really well.

http://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/168924&page=1

The problem is that I have not been able to find any clear images or plans on the "plumbing" and decided I'd rather not guess at it, especially when I saw some pictures of these tankes recently where they didn't have it.

California Greg, thanks for the kind words. I hope to have pictures of the finished model up over this next weekend.
Charlie-66
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, July 29, 2011 - 01:07 PM UTC
OK folks, I'm calling this one done! I sprayed the lower hull with Tamiya XF-52 Flat Earth, then hit the tracks and hull with Mig pigments for mud, and finished it off with an overspray of Tamiya XF-57 Buff. Hope ya'll like it. This was my first campaign, and a lot of fun. thanks Dangeroo!

barkingdigger
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, July 30, 2011 - 01:15 AM UTC
Guy,

That's an impressive Sherman!

Tom
Charlie-66
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 30, 2011 - 08:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Guy,

That's an impressive Sherman!

Tom

Thanks Tom, the DML Orange Box version of this tank was actually a really nice kit. All I really added were some bits from Formations (very sad to see Rob is shutting down) and Archer's Casting symbols.
SGTJKJ
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
Armorama: 4,677 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 30, 2011 - 09:04 AM UTC
Beautiful Sherman, Guy! The weathering is awesome.

Thanks for participating.
Dangeroo
Visit this Community
Zurich, Switzerland
Posted: Saturday, July 30, 2011 - 08:40 PM UTC
Nice one Guy, the weathering looks great, reminds me of Steve Zaloga's builds.

Cheers!
Stefan