Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
Korean War Campaign
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Friday, October 28, 2011 - 06:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

How's everybody else's progress?

Hi Stefan,

I've been quiet, but my Easy Eight is covered in OD and decals! I matte-coated it the other day and need to add the first layers of weathering before adding wheels etc, so hopefully I'll get pics soon to post.

Persevere with those indy-link tracks!

Tom
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 29, 2011 - 05:00 AM UTC
Hi Stefan,

I took a couple shots of my tank today, and realised I haven't posted any pics other than the build-review! Oops... So, here is one of it in raw plastic:

And now with paint & decals:

Because I let it sit for a couple months with the tracks on, they settled into shape and the "smile" relaxed so all the wheels sat flat as they should. The only real mods I did are adding a tow cable from picture wire and a few brackets for fuel cans made from 0.020" square rod. (I saw these in a pic of a Sherman acting as artillery, and thought they looked interesting...)

Painting started with black primer, followed by Tamiya XF-62 OD, then highlights in "scale OD" with about 20% Dark Yellow added. The decals were ok, but fitting them around the front was a PITA - it would be better to paint them like the originals.

More pics to come when tthe paint really starts to fly.

Tom
littlebear573
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 142 posts
Armorama: 138 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 01, 2011 - 05:33 AM UTC
hey guys some good builds going on. was going to do a long tom 105mm but cant find instruction so am going to do an m36 Jackson instead will post pics later in the week. going to start construction tonight
MichaelSatin
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,909 posts
Armorama: 510 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 01, 2011 - 06:56 AM UTC
My 1/32 F-84E is pretty much ready for silver paint:

I'm planning to use good old Floquil bright silver. My last experience with Alclad did not go well (everything crazed, even with their gloss black undercoat!)

Michael
eoinryan
Visit this Community
Cork, Ireland
KitMaker: 232 posts
Armorama: 134 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 06, 2011 - 02:25 AM UTC

Hey Michael,

Some guys over here have taken to using Aliminium or Silver coloured Auto Spray to get a damn good metallic finish. The main brand we use is Halfords (they are a big car accessory chain on this side of the pond).

It may be worth experimenting on an old 1/72 kit in your stash.

Anywho, it's back to the Dark Side for me with the MiG 15:

It's split because I've built the engine and I'll be exposing it. I didn't want any spraying mishaps to mess it up!

...and here's an example of 'over-enthuastic' pre-shading for good measure!

Later,

Eoin
Dangeroo
Visit this Community
Zurich, Switzerland
KitMaker: 2,058 posts
Armorama: 1,656 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 06, 2011 - 07:33 PM UTC
Gentlemen!

I apologize for my absence... Life is getting in the way somewhat currently. Veery little time to model, let alone to post... Nevertheless, I've finally managed to finish the second track and get the first coat of paint on, black primer/pre-shade. OD next, stay tuned!

Eoin, too bad about the chemistry... How did you fix it in the end?

Tom, that's a fine looking monster you've got there. Looking forward to the final result!

David, how's that M36 coming along? Academy or AFV Club?

Michael, looking good so far. How's that silver coming along?

So, final lap everyone! Bring in some pics!

Cheers!
Stefan
littlebear573
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, November 15, 2011 - 07:34 AM UTC
hi Stefan funny you ask have completed construction pretty much and got a base coat with some shading. its the academy one not too impressed with the kit. have done some more work today but its to dark to take pics but here it is so far

unfortunately i signed up to to many campaigns for a changed thinking ah loads of time and being a chef December really isn't a good month so am trying to get this one done before then
littlebear573
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, November 15, 2011 - 07:42 AM UTC
some great work going on just had a quick look trough

Mechanix, anouther great build you do some great work

Kevin potts looks great like the paint job great detail

Eoin nice mig the engine looks great

Tom nice Sherman nice smile on the front to
MichaelSatin
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, November 19, 2011 - 03:43 AM UTC
All right! I got paint and decals on my 1/32 HobbyBoss F-84E:

This is right out of the box, including decals, except for some Eduard seatbelts. I used good old Floquil Bright Silver with some panels in Old Silver. I'm impressed with the way the kit has gone together so far. The decals are really quite nice, a bit stiff and brittle but very thin and boy do they settle in nicely with MicroSol!

Now just a seal coat with Testor's Metalizer sealer, add the bits, and on to the Tamiya P-51D for the Israeli campaign!

Michael
MichaelSatin
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, November 19, 2011 - 11:24 AM UTC
Well, good day at the workbench! Herewith, my completed HobbyBoss 1/32 F-84E, 9th Fighter Squadron, 49th Fighter Group in Korea:

and with an old familiar friend:

I posted to the gallery as well. Lots of great looking models there!

This was a fun kit to build and I recommend it highly! Thanks for the great campaign and the opportunity to join

Next up:

Israeli Air Force, 1948. Whoo hoo!!

Michael
Dangeroo
Visit this Community
Zurich, Switzerland
Posted: Tuesday, November 22, 2011 - 09:03 AM UTC
Hi guys! Long time no see!

Nice work gentlemen!

David, good to see an M36. Will you be adding South Korean markings?

Michael, the F-84 looks like a nice and clean build, good show! Interesting duo with the P-47. I understand it was the direct predecessor to the F-84? Looking forward to your Mustang as well. This is the new 1/32 scale right?

So, list time! So far we have 14 finishers!

Cheers!
Stefan
Dangeroo
Visit this Community
Zurich, Switzerland
Posted: Tuesday, November 22, 2011 - 09:12 AM UTC
And now for my slow but steady progress...

Paint! I finally got some paint on it. First a prime/pre-shade of black, followed by a lightened tone of Tamiya OD and then yellow. This was decanted form a Tamiya spray can I had lying around.

Tigerstripes, face and claws were hand painted. Note the tracks are only fitted temporarily...

Next up some more detail painting, tracks and then weathering and stowage.

Cheers!
Stefan
ElCapitan
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 219 posts
Armorama: 217 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 22, 2011 - 02:09 PM UTC
Nice paint job, you did a great job on the hand painting. I'm looking forward to seeing the final product. Keep up the great work.

Kevin
Frigate
Visit this Community
West Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 500 posts
Armorama: 50 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 22, 2011 - 05:08 PM UTC
Gentlemen,
We're starting to wind this campaign down. The interesting thing I note is I have the present completed count at 8 - 6 in favor of the Armor modelers. Time for the last push to get them out and added in ! Take it easy...........Bruce
Nito74
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,386 posts
Armorama: 4,727 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 27, 2011 - 03:35 AM UTC
I finished my Patton at last...
but I left some stuff out, mainly the tracks...
I lost some guide horns in the process (a whole sprue)..
So did an abandoned tank version , no tracks, no MG, missing equipment.
Will take some pics this afternoon and post them.
Nito74
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Sunday, November 27, 2011 - 08:48 AM UTC
Pics posted on the gallery too.

I didn't enjoy this build. the turret was the only fun part, I used Mr.surfacer to give some texture, but the rest of the kit, suspension and tracks with separate guide horns, that was really a no-fun build...
md72
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
Armorama: 289 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 01, 2011 - 05:04 AM UTC
I haven't forgotten, just might not get it finished in time..

F2H-2P nearly ready for the paint shop:

Unfortunately, I never found a decal set for this old bird. MPC never kitted the -2P decals, just the -2 flavor......
Grenadier37
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 232 posts
Armorama: 45 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 01, 2011 - 12:10 PM UTC
Sorry, no in progress pics. I realized over the weekend that this campaign was coming to an end and banged this out. It the vintage 1/72 Hasegawa F-86 kit with markings for Col. Royal Baker's aircraft.

GregCloseCombat
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,408 posts
Armorama: 2,394 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 01, 2011 - 02:16 PM UTC
Stefan- awesome finish - the tan and tiger colors look spot on. Congrats

Grenadier - nice 1/72 fighter and congrats
Dangeroo
Visit this Community
Zurich, Switzerland
Posted: Thursday, December 01, 2011 - 06:33 PM UTC
Hi Guys!

Thanks for the kudos! In the meantime basic painting and a first overall wash is done but I found some nice enhancements in the spares box that I have added so I will need to repaint some parts. Also, I decided the teeth and claws weren't large enough so I enhanced them somewhat.

John, that's the cheap way out... How about a diorama? As far as I found in pictures, the stowage rack on the right side of the turret was an M26 feature and not fitted to the M46. I would also paint the periscope a dark shiny color. Also, the road wheel on the right side would fall off if the turret turned. Just a few hints! But I must agree with you, this build is/was not one of the most pleasurable... The tiger face makes it worth though. I wish someone would release a one piece track for it...

Mark, looks great, especially for such an old kit! I really hope you will finish it, we need more Navy blue!

Grenadier, looks like a nice piece of work. Seems we now have air superiority over the MiGs!

So, final month ladies and gentlemen! We should get the final ball rolling! No substantial extensions on this one as we've allready been on it for a year. If necessary I will grand an additional week to finish off though.

As a reminder, here's the link to the campaign gallery

Cheers!
Stefan
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,847 posts
Armorama: 2,667 posts
Posted: Monday, December 05, 2011 - 02:57 AM UTC
Hey Stefan and gang!

I fully intended to join this campaign months ago but have been busy with house renovations and writing reviews. Anyway, with time running out and a bit more spare time, I finally signed up.

Some super work going on here and even though not an active participant I have been dropping in from time to time. Here's my choice for my entry, the trumpeter Pershing.

With the recent Kitmaker downtime I decided to start this weekend. For a small scale kit it sure has enough sprues and parts. I started at the back of the hull and don't necessarily follow the kit's construction sequence. The instructions aren't too bad but there was a bit more flash than I've recently experienced with other kits.

The rear most road-wheel suspension arm on the right side was broken in the box. It's going to take some ingenuity to reattach it but I'll worry about that later.

Next I put together the sprocket drive housing pieces. The didn't fit all that well and took a fair amount of sanding.

The return rollers are two piece affairs and had a sloppy fit. Since their are a five a side this took some time.

Started adding the suspension arms and again, the fit wasn't the best. A couple of the holes had to be enlarged and the locating tabs are a bit too small for the slot they fit into but I got them all on yesterday.

Not the fastest progressing kit but it's at least starting to look like something. Hopefully the rest of the build goes a bit smoother.

Cheers,
Jan
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Armorama: 4,817 posts
Posted: Monday, December 05, 2011 - 11:40 AM UTC
Stefan, I'm still working towards finishing this campaign. I'll try to get some more work down tonight or tomorrow night so I can get a decent build photo up.
Nito74
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Tuesday, December 06, 2011 - 10:20 AM UTC
Stefan, the wheel is not glued, it was just there for the photoshoot, I wish there was some other track for this kit, it ruined the fun for me... besides that I again got tangled in too many campaigns.
For a fun and enjoyable build... pick a Tamyia kit, not the M46 Patton...
Dangeroo
Visit this Community
Zurich, Switzerland
Posted: Tuesday, December 06, 2011 - 01:33 PM UTC
Jan, nice of you to join! Hope you can finish it in time! Hurry up!

Jeremy, gogogo! I'm sure you WILL finish this campaign!

Cheers!
Stefan

PS: My M46 is in the stowage phase. Next up decals and weathering...
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,847 posts
Armorama: 2,667 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 06, 2011 - 09:11 PM UTC
Hey Stefan, I have the proverbial pedal to the metal!

I've got the broken part of the suspension repaired but it may need a bit more tweaking. I started on the turret and most parts sort of fit but the joints are rather rough in places. The lifting rings were just those solid lumps so I had to do something about that. I could have cut them off and used wire but instead I tried drilling them out with progressively larger drill bits. They didn't turn out too bad so I'm a happy builder. Here's the pictures with the modified lifting rings and a few small pieces added.

Next up was the mantlet and it wasn't too bad. There were three internal pieces and the actual gun needed some careful touch up.

Details on the front hull (lights, horn, other doo dads) are being added and I placed the turret with the gun added on it for interest sake.

Lastly, the dry fitting of the hull top to the chassis. This required a fair amount of cutting and sanding because there were some lugs projecting from the bottom of the hull top.

Hope to get a bit more done today. I am not looking forward to the tracks as they are the multi-part L&L type.

Until later,
Jan