LRDG
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 11, 2010 - 07:45 AM UTC
Hi Guys,

Some figures I started to day. These are the New World Miniatures LRDG crew and perhpas building them will inspire me to get on and start the trucks!

These other two are their Infantry figuers and there are possibilities here too!!

Al
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 4,002 posts
Armorama: 2,947 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 11, 2010 - 04:09 PM UTC
Good start Al!
What's the quality of the resin like with these figures?
Brad
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Armorama: 4,817 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 11, 2010 - 05:50 PM UTC
Looking forward to this Alan. I'm taking it that these will be for the Tamiya Chevrolet LRDG truck?
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, September 11, 2010 - 09:03 PM UTC
Hi Brad,

The casting is very good, the resin is easy to work with, soft not brittle, if you know what I mean. The neck of the driver needed thinned a little to fit and there is the odd air bubble in the castings but there are easy to fill with either some CA glue or a little milliput.

I would have reviewed the set but they came without boxes to save on postage when I originally ordered them from Chris a while back. I also kept forgetting where I had put them .

I've ordered up the latest three so I'll review those when they come.

Hi Jeremy,

Yes, they will eventually be destined for the LRDG Chevy. I bought two trucks a few years agao and have been gathering up stuff for a build since then.

The recent release of the Black Dog stowage got me thinking about them but I believe Resicast are going to be doing a set of stowage too so I will wait and see what comes out from them as Graham normally provides encough stowage for two vehicles in his sets whereas I believe Black Dog has enough for one, but I will wait for more info there.

I have some of the Tank Workshop replacement resin wheels, I got at a Model show a few years ago, the Eduard PE set and some pressed steel planking I picked up from Accurate Armour. I also got the Italeri Breda to added to one of the vehicles. To add to that I have some Resicast .303 Vickers and a set fo their new Lewis guns.

With Chris broadening out his range of LDRG figuers it might be getting near the time to make a start on the trucks, but I thoguht I'd build these so I don't mislay them again

Cheers

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, September 11, 2010 - 10:06 PM UTC
Some of the kits, I've been gathering up for the build these last few years. I was hoping that the Osprey(?) LRDG book would get a re-release but sadly no sign of that yet.

Al

thomokiwi
Visit this Community
Christchurch, New Zealand
KitMaker: 438 posts
Armorama: 359 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 11, 2010 - 10:23 PM UTC
Evening

I have a great interest in the LRDG because of the Kiwi conection. I too have been collecting a few Tamiya Chev's and brought the new Chev with the Breda recently in the hope of doing a patrol dio. i will follow this and all the kit updates you have accumilated with envy and will hopefully kickstart my build.
newfish
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,329 posts
Armorama: 2,110 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 11, 2010 - 10:25 PM UTC
Hi Alan, you seem to be busy with this and the Valentine! I love the look of the New World figures maybe I will eventually stop building Vietnam stuff and get on with some WW2 armour we'll see. Looks like it's going to be an interesting build.

Jaymes
thomokiwi
Visit this Community
Christchurch, New Zealand
KitMaker: 438 posts
Armorama: 359 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 11, 2010 - 10:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Evening

I have a great interest in the LRDG because of the Kiwi conection. I too have been collecting a few Tamiya Chev's and brought the new Chev with the Breda recently in the hope of doing a patrol dio. i will follow this and all the kit updates you have accumilated with envy and will hopefully kickstart my build.

Just looked at the dates of the other entries. HOW is it going
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 12, 2010 - 12:38 AM UTC
Great figures to start this project. The added kits are really going to blend well and make for a great story. Looking forward to this one.
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, September 12, 2010 - 03:46 AM UTC
Hi Guys,

I've wanted to make one of these since I got back inot the hobby, it's a popular vehicle and given it's use quite an exciting and romantic one too.

Not quite ready to start yet but it's getting close.

Al
Chilihead
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 626 posts
Armorama: 456 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 12, 2010 - 04:02 AM UTC
Alan
Looks as if you are off to a great start! how are the Resicast Lewis machine guns? are they all new of just Tamiya knock-offs?
If they are new I will need to locate a set or two of these bad dudes.
Also how are the armorscale 4 gallon cans? I will need to locate some of these as well.

Have a great day
Mrosko
captnenglish
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,184 posts
Armorama: 770 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 12, 2010 - 04:02 AM UTC
Hi Alan,
I too wil be following thng when you get started. I have the NWM SAS set and have considered getting the LRDG set(s) and doing some sort of a dio. Question though, is the Lewis gun set out or did you manage to get an advance copy?
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, September 12, 2010 - 05:02 AM UTC
Hi Chris,

The figuers are excellent, I have the 3 new releases on order. Apologies, I would have done a review on them but I had no box art.

The Resicast guns are new, mastered by S Dunnage (Sean I think). There is a review in the pipeline but here's a pic.

He was obviously thinking vehicle mounted weapons as they have no bi-pods.

The Armoscale cans I came across by chance. There is a nice selection of Military and Civilian ones and they were quite cheap but very nicely done. I Have some form Accurate Armour too for the bulk type items and a set of racked ones left over from one of the Carrier builds.

I did a review on the cans a good while back:

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/review/3484

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/review/3484

Hi Matthew,

The Lewis Guns are available now, email Graham at Resicast if you want a set.

Cheers

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, September 17, 2010 - 07:51 AM UTC
Hi Guy,

These are a couple more figs that might finally see the light of day.

Al
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, September 17, 2010 - 08:17 AM UTC
Great stuff Alan, and you're way ahead of me! I only have the Eduard PE and Hussar resin wheels, still have quite a ways to go before starting my build.

I have a question regarding the LRDG Chevrolets. I too have the re-release of the Tamiya kit with the Breda gun, and it was my understanding that these guns were never towed behind the trucks (along with that I have heard it stated that the Tamiya LRDG Chevy was a cammand or communications vehicle or something like that?). What would be your guys' thoughts on this?
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, September 17, 2010 - 09:36 AM UTC
Hi Jeremy,

I have the older version without the guns. My thoughts would be that any pics showing them towing a breda would be them towing captured guns away. To the best of my knowledge they were vehicle mounted weapons. This fitted with their role, vehicle towed weapons would have been pretty much impossible given how they operated.

Here are a couple of links, you will see a couple of pics of breda mounted weapons.

http://blindkat.hegewisch.net/lrdg/lrdgbeginnings.html

http://blindkat.hegewisch.net/lrdg/lrdgvehicles.html

http://blindkat.hegewisch.net/lrdg/lrdgbeginnings.html

This last link is the home page:

http://blindkat.hegewisch.net/lrdg/lrdg.html

These should give you everything you need to know.

This is very useful too:

http://www.lrdg.de/vehicles2.htm

Hope that helps.

Al
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, September 17, 2010 - 05:37 PM UTC
I don't think I've ever seen you provide information that wasn't helpful

I had completely forgot about the first LRDG website you linked to. I was looking through it when I was trying to find out what 1/35 LRDG kits were out there.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how you mount the Italeri Breda gun as I will most likely want to do the same with mine. Have you considered one of the more interesting color schemes for your build?
mopnglo
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 452 posts
Armorama: 271 posts
Posted: Friday, September 17, 2010 - 06:10 PM UTC
I read "Killing Rommel" by Steven Pressfield when it came out and I've been collecting items for at least three LRDG builds ever since. If you want to get excited about your stash of LRDG kits, just read Pressfield's book. It's fiction, but is grounded in history like all of his books. It's a great read!

I wonder if we could ever get a LRDG campaign going?
captnenglish
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,184 posts
Armorama: 770 posts
Posted: Friday, September 17, 2010 - 06:22 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Guy,

These are a couple more figs that might finally see the light of day.

Al

I am going to have to track down that set to go alone with NWM SAS guys.
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, September 17, 2010 - 06:46 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I read "Killing Rommel" by Steven Pressfield when it came out and I've been collecting items for at least three LRDG builds ever since. If you want to get excited about your stash of LRDG kits, just read Pressfield's book. It's fiction, but is grounded in history like all of his books. It's a great read!

I wonder if we could ever get a LRDG campaign going?

I don't really get the chance to read much, it just doesn't flow with multitasking
I'll be sure to pick up a copy if I can find it though

I'd be up for an LRDG campaign, maybe starting next August? It would certainly bring us closer to the appropriate temperature
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, September 17, 2010 - 08:29 PM UTC
Hi Guys,

I haven't read through the sites in a while, but I noticed last night when I was posting the links that this might also be a possibility:

as would the Willys MB. Add a few heavy trucks and you got yourself a convoy .

I think Tamiya missed a trick here, they could have produced a vehicle with the Breda mounted and sold them hand over fist. The Chevrolet has always been a popular kit. Lots of other options too, captured vehicles, as far as I can tell they were good at liberating trucks whether damaged British vehicles or captured Axis vehicles.

Apparently the Tamiya kit as it stands is a radio vehicle.

An LRDG Campaign might be popular?

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, September 17, 2010 - 08:44 PM UTC
A quicks coat of paint to cover the cream resin, which my camera doesn't like to photograph!!

Only additions I made to these two was to add a small pistol ammo pouch above the holster.

The upright figure comes with a mug of tea, but I might add a radio mike later.

On the two NWm I only added a new holster for better definition.

back view

Might get a bit of work done on these today after I do some work on the Valentine.

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, October 05, 2010 - 05:11 AM UTC
Hi Guys,

A few more troops have joined the ranks. I haven't done much on them yet, and the Tropal coat should be a mustard brown with a brownish/red collar, but these guys should make up the crews.

Al
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 05, 2010 - 05:40 AM UTC
Hi Alan. Nice grouping of figures. TheseŽll look great painted up.
if you are looking for more of the same ... Verlinden have a pair as do Legend Productions. These figures are dresses more like your Warriors figures!
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, October 08, 2010 - 01:26 AM UTC
Hi Frank,

Many thanks. I think I'll settle on the 5 NWM I already have, they should be sufficient.

This is how thi8ngs stand at the moment:

Truck Commander

Cut out under the coat.

Driver

No issues

Trooper 3

There were a lot of air bubbles underneath, so I cut out the bottom of his coat and filled in a missing bit of his upper right leg for extra strength. Also dealt with an air bubbble on the back of the coat. I also added a little fur to the lower right hand edge of the coat.

Trooper 2

This chap appears to have a No 4 rifle so I cut it off drilled out the hand and added an Ultrcast SMLE

Trooper 1

Small air bubble on his bum.

Individually I think these figuers are great but I wounder if there are too many beards

Al
 _GOTOTOP