Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Another 105mm
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 16, 2014 - 08:04 AM UTC
Got another layer of destruction underway. The second horse has received the same level of completion as the first one. There is a bit more to go,but only a little. This is good,because I am getting "harness fatigue"!!! The chains were attached to the wagons' tongue to be used if they wanted to reverse. I still have to make the struts that the side pulling ropes attach to. I don't know what they're called. When you see them you'll know what they are. Heheh.
Got a bit more weathering accomplished as well. Slowly but surely. Too nice outside to stay in the basement very long.

Some of the pose may seem a bit "off" but it will be clearer when I add some other stuff I have going on. This turned out to be pretty complicated.
Looking at the pics I also see I still have the reins and the rest of the bits to add. OY!!
J
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,727 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 16, 2014 - 09:27 AM UTC

Slow progress maybe, but progress nevertheless!!

Thanks for keeping us in the loop Jerry!!

Keep up the mojo m8!!....I'm feeling the fatigue right now as well!!

Cheers

Romain

panzerconor
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,271 posts
Armorama: 1,253 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 16, 2014 - 03:33 PM UTC
Poor steeds. Really great work on this one. Been keeping up 100% but haven't commented in...not sure why haha. This is definitely one to show off, just the work on the horses alone is amazing. Right on the same level as the figures. I know what you mean about finding it hard to stay inside. I commend you though, as I haven't got anything done & probably won't end up with anything for ArmorCon in September. I did buy this figure the other day though, just to keep me busy:

It would be financially irresponsible to buy all the Alpine figures I want for a diorama, so I'll just keep watching this to keep me occupied

-Conor
Stickframe
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,661 posts
Armorama: 1,202 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 17, 2014 - 04:16 AM UTC
Jerry - not to "beat a dead horse" ( hahaha!!!) but you're work on the horse tack (ok - maybe the wrong word(?), but I know it's not "rigging"!!!!) looks great!!

I am going to invent some reason to add lead foil straps and brass wire loops to something - just to see what it looks like! Yours looks really nice. Can you glue together with CA? Or something else?

Now, enough small talk, keep working!!!!

Cheers
Nick
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 17, 2014 - 04:58 AM UTC
Lead foil! ... the new national pastime!

I bought a bottle of wine the other day, just for the lead foil (yeah, right!). I was very disappointed to find it was just some cheap plastic crap! ... It looked okay in the paper bag! Gotta' upscale my taste in wine, I guess. LOL!

--mike
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Sunday, August 17, 2014 - 06:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Gotta' upscale my taste in wine, I guess. LOL!

--mike

Absolutely,.....and then there is the lead foil..!!

Cheers

Romain

jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, August 17, 2014 - 01:41 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Poor steeds. Really great work on this one. Been keeping up 100% but haven't commented in...not sure why haha. This is definitely one to show off, just the work on the horses alone is amazing. Right on the same level as the figures. I know what you mean about finding it hard to stay inside. I commend you though, as I haven't got anything done & probably won't end up with anything for ArmorCon in September. I did buy this figure the other day though, just to keep me busy:

It would be financially irresponsible to buy all the Alpine figures I want for a diorama, so I'll just keep watching this to keep me occupied

-Conor

Conor,
I feel your pain brother. That is why I started to buy nice resin heads and convert plastic figs.
J
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, August 17, 2014 - 01:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Jerry - not to "beat a dead horse" ( hahaha!!!) but you're work on the horse tack (ok - maybe the wrong word(?), but I know it's not "rigging"!!!!) looks great!!

I am going to invent some reason to add lead foil straps and brass wire loops to something - just to see what it looks like! Yours looks really nice. Can you glue together with CA? Or something else?

Now, enough small talk, keep working!!!!

Cheers
Nick

Yup,tack is the correct terminology. I do use the dreaded super glue yes. The stuff that always takes two hours to set up while I am holding a tiny piece in an awkward position but bonds INSTANTLY if I get it somewhere I don't want it.like my fingers.
It would be interesting,to say the least,to see what you come up with if you use the lead foil.
J
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, August 17, 2014 - 01:45 PM UTC
Mike and Romain,
Yep,only the better older wines have the acceptable type of lead foil. Anyway,that's my story and I'm sticking to it!!
My girlfriend seems to agree!
J
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 17, 2014 - 04:10 PM UTC
Hi J,

Good work on the horses, they are coming along really well.

Al
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, August 19, 2014 - 05:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi J,

Good work on the horses, they are coming along really well.

Al

Thanks Al,
Lots still to do though. I think I will have to break down and spray some primer on before I start to paint the tack.
J
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, August 22, 2014 - 08:17 AM UTC
Few more bits and bobs added. I think the thin coat of primer makes a lot of the work pop more. You can definitely see the texture I've added to the animals' hides. Of.course,along with the animal suffering,comes the human as well.

Some of the harness has not been settled down totally as I need to get this whole thing affixed to it's place on the dio base before I make those kinds of final adjustments.
Kind of distracted today as there is an actual Air Show taking place right over my house!! Pretty cool as I can imagine the airstrikes that took place in Normandy sounded very similar.
J
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, August 22, 2014 - 08:43 AM UTC
Looking good J. I see apart body there, should be an interesting scene.

Al
panzerconor
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, August 22, 2014 - 03:59 PM UTC
This sort of scene is always a bit tricky to construct, especially the anatomy and posture of a corpse. I've tried it before but haven't been able to get things to sit right. And achieving it with horses is something on a whole new level. Definitely helps put the scene together a bit more seeing the figure down next to the horses- and yes, all the detail you put into them really does pop now. I might make a run to the hobby shop tomorrow, see if that gets my mojo going again. One can only hope!

-Conor

Will you be going to AMPS East in Danbury next month? Would be great to say hi again and see what you bring.
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, August 23, 2014 - 01:59 AM UTC
Thanks Al and Conor for looking in again.
It has been a challenge getting the animals to snug down on the ground in all of the logical places. Not sure if I have it all right but it'll have to do for now.
I hesitated over putting bodies in this thing but how can you show the Falaise gap without including that element?
I have studied a lot of film footage and still pics from the area around Trun,etc and it was pretty aweful.
J
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Saturday, August 23, 2014 - 08:05 AM UTC

You're right Jerry!

Falaise pocket without corpses.....should be difficult!

Great show so far!!! Don't loose your mojo!
(Strange if that comes from me!)

Cheers

Romain

justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 23, 2014 - 01:30 PM UTC
Jerry,
Once again, I am left speechless. Amazing effort!

--mike
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, August 25, 2014 - 01:36 AM UTC
Romain and Mike,
Thanks for the kind remarks and for taking the time to type them in.
I am not loosing mojo,it's just hard to stay in the basement with all of this spectacular weather here. Sat on the lawn at the edge of our local Int. Airport yesterday and watched a nice airshow....for free!
Conor,I won't be going to that show as I have nothing finished!! Sad but true buddy. I found a first volumn of Duel in the Mist btw,if you are interested. Not a bad price either.
J
panzerconor
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, August 25, 2014 - 03:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Conor,I won't be going to that show as I have nothing finished!! Sad but true buddy. I found a first volume of Duel in the Mist btw,if you are interested. Not a bad price either.
J

I'm going to try and force something out over the next month, but I'll be impressed if I can get anything to bring. And a first volume of DITM? I am indeed interested.

-Conor
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, August 25, 2014 - 05:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Conor,I won't be going to that show as I have nothing finished!! Sad but true buddy. I found a first volume of Duel in the Mist btw,if you are interested. Not a bad price either.
J

I'm going to try and force something out over the next month, but I'll be impressed if I can get anything to bring. And a first volume of DITM? I am indeed interested.

-Conor

Drop me a PM
J
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, August 27, 2014 - 08:38 AM UTC
A very bad day in Normandy

Got the thin acrylic base down on the horses and the first basic pose done for the dead guy. He is glued together but I have to remove plastic that doesn't belong and add putty for parts that do belong. Have to drop that finger as well so it doesn't stick up.

Layer upon layer yet to do. Nick is leaving me in the dust.
J
SdAufKla
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,238 posts
Armorama: 2,158 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 27, 2014 - 09:54 AM UTC
A very bad day in Normandy, indeed!

I know what you mean about the nice weather - very hard not to go out and just sit in the shade with a good book.

This project is progressing along, though, my friend. It's so easy to get focused on the ambulance that I forget there's the horse team with the arty piece, too.

As always, I'm looking forward to the next update.

Enjoy this nice weather, though, while you can. You had a tough winter last year, so you deserve a few warm, pleasant days!
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Wednesday, August 27, 2014 - 10:10 AM UTC

Yes Jerry, Mike is right.....!!!

Enjoy the warm and pleasant days!!

Cheers

Romain

AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, August 27, 2014 - 04:15 PM UTC
Morning Jerry,

Coming along nicely. I like the contrast of the bright happy sunflower in the background in contrast to the devastation of the scene, nice little tree/bush too. Looking forward to further developments.

Cheers

Al
Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,094 posts
Armorama: 2,942 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 27, 2014 - 10:27 PM UTC
I would love a warm and pleasant day- storm here last night like the middle of December! Good modelling weather though!

This is coming together real nice Jerry- its good to see the horses in 'context' next to the wagon. The texture you have on them is coming out nicely even with just a first coat of paint. I assume you are going to sculpt some details onto the dead body- just wondering what out of curiosity- like a field jacket etc?