Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Another 105mm
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,727 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 04, 2014 - 03:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Al and Mike,
Thanks for the generous comments. Mike,it is hard to portray randomness. And death is very random,as you know from A'stan and other garden spots we both have been to.
Pics we see of casualties are sometimes posed and sometimes the people taking the pics pull the bodies to a different position to get a "better" view. This was done as early as the American Civil War. You are correct in that almost all the dead guys I've seen in resin or in dios look like sleeping people and not the random pose usually displayed by a battlefield corpse.
In that respect I think the war movies confuse things as well. I have seen after the battle scenes in film where the dead are PERFECTLY spaced apart. Figure the odds?
I know I have said it before but random is very hard to model or build. Like placing stones exactly equidistant on groundwork in a dio. It's something we do subconsciously and is hard to overcome.
Man o man,too much coffee again. I shouldn't ever post in the morning. Sorry guys. But thanks!!!
J

You are perfectly right about the "random" spacing...and you cannot mention it too often!!!

To portray corpses is extremely tricky! One of the reasons I tend to leave them out!

Cheers

Romain

jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 07, 2014 - 02:24 PM UTC
Another layer of stuff. This time paint and a bit of the horses' manes. I started on the tails but only have the base work done.
Lots to do here on what will become a side feature on the dio.
Maybe I need the AMS smacked out of me?
But you guys on this site keep raising the bar so.....

The horses will not be attached to the wagon until they all go on the groundwork as I can't figure out how to move the whole sheebang at one time.
J
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 07, 2014 - 02:44 PM UTC
I love this ... so many beautiful details to enjoy!

—mike
panzerconor
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,271 posts
Armorama: 1,253 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 07, 2014 - 03:57 PM UTC
Nice update! Love how the horses are painted. Look like the real thing, just in 1/35 scale of course. This is why the bar keeps raising...

(Applause)

-Conor
Stickframe
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,661 posts
Armorama: 1,202 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 07, 2014 - 07:59 PM UTC
Uhhh, Jerry, I hate to break this to you, but you're one of the guys who set the bar the rest of us are reaching for!!

I particularly like how the tack is shaping up - wow - great work!
Cheers
Nick
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, September 08, 2014 - 02:51 AM UTC
Mike Conor and Nick,
Thanks so much guys for the excellent words of encouragement. You guys are great.
I just saw some figures on another website that made me want to hang up my 000 brush!! Holy cow. Freakishly realistic.
J
ReconTL3-1
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 726 posts
Armorama: 687 posts
Posted: Monday, September 08, 2014 - 11:16 AM UTC
Hey Jerry,

I really like the job you did on the dead German. The body positioning is very well done and the little details like the hair and the epaullet unbuttoned are nice touches.

Bravo!

James
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, September 08, 2014 - 02:10 PM UTC
Thanks James,
I appreciate you noticing those little things. Means my work was not in vain!!
This is why I am in awe of Nick and how fast he freekin builds a road crusher from scratch in about 10 minutes because it took me about 3 hours tonight just to build this

Plus,I don't know about you guys but these Bad Idea t-shirt girls are really distracting on the right of my screen(but in a good way)
J
Stickframe
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,661 posts
Armorama: 1,202 posts
Posted: Monday, September 08, 2014 - 03:30 PM UTC
Well Jerry, the other side if that coin is that most of my figures would look better under that roller than along side of it!

And, I always check your builds and wonder, how does he do it??!! Precision repeated! THAT is impressive! Oh, yeah, and essentially scratch building and painting figures!!

Looking forward to the next installment of Jerry's models!

Cheers
Nick

AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 09, 2014 - 02:37 AM UTC
Hi Jerry,

Looking good indeed. I like the jacket up the back. The horses are coming along really well. Mud and blood

The harness will connect the whole thing nicely.

Cheers

Al
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, September 10, 2014 - 01:41 AM UTC
Thanks Al,
I was up late last night wrestling with the harness. After no progress seemed to be happening it was time to call it a day!!
Still a bit bleary eyed this morning.
J
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, September 10, 2014 - 01:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Well Jerry, the other side if that coin is that most of my figures would look better under that roller than along side of it!

And, I always check your builds and wonder, how does he do it??!! Precision repeated! THAT is impressive! Oh, yeah, and essentially scratch building and painting figures!!

Looking forward to the next installment of Jerry's models!

Cheers
Nick

Well,
You are one to talk about precision!!
J
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, September 10, 2014 - 08:27 AM UTC
Doesn't look like much but I added the cross trees and the ropes that attach them to the horses. This was enough to drive me bananas as they have 3 different free swinging attachment points. Anyway,this is how they look. Still have to fix the rearward horses' back"hanger' that normally would keep the rope from hanging too low. I purposely left the most rear rope cut as I wanted to show a bit of damage.

This is all I can do until this piece is attached to the groundwork. All that is left is attaching the front chains to the tonque of the wagon and making some reins and that just can't be done yet so......
On to the next piece of the puzzle. And more Jabo inflicted destruction!!

I wanted to show a tire not only flat from a 50cal strike but run off the rim after the hit. Effective?? What say ye O esteemed peanut gallery?
J
J
panzerconor
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,271 posts
Armorama: 1,253 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 10, 2014 - 10:42 AM UTC
Wow. You've got that destructive touch, sir. Horse progress is great and I really like where that staff car is headed.

-The Peanut Gallrey
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,295 posts
Armorama: 1,191 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 10, 2014 - 10:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Mike Conor and Nick,
Thanks so much guys for the excellent words of encouragement. You guys are great.
I just saw some figures on another website that made me want to hang up my 000 brush!! Holy cow. Freakishly realistic.
J

Do tell Jerry...what website?

And to sir Nick, your bar raising skills are pretty high yourself.

justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 10, 2014 - 11:25 AM UTC
When it comes time, you're gonna' need some sort of giant spatula in order to move the whole horse/human/wagon casualty assembly! It looks great! The tire looks equally as good — I like your style!

—mike
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, September 11, 2014 - 01:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Wow. You've got that destructive touch, sir. Horse progress is great and I really like where that staff car is headed.

-The Peanut Gallrey

Thanks Conor,
I think the staff car is on the highway to hell!
J
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, September 11, 2014 - 01:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Mike Conor and Nick,
J

Do tell Jerry...what website?

And to sir Nick, your bar raising skills are pretty high yourself.

Dave,
There is a Japanese guy named Keiichi Aoki that posts on Missinglynx on the Constructive Comments forum. He uses a Electronic microscope when he paints figures and uses hair from a stuffed toy for enhancing the figures hair. The effect is disturbingly realistic.
Yes,I agree,my arms are sore from trying to reach the bar Nick sets every time he posts.
J
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, September 11, 2014 - 01:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

When it comes time, you're gonna' need some sort of giant spatula in order to move the whole horse/human/wagon casualty assembly! It looks great! The tire looks equally as good — I like your style!

—mike

A spatula would be a good idea!! But I think I may just slide it off the sheet of paper it's on right now. May save some headaches.
J
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,727 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 11, 2014 - 01:42 AM UTC

Giant spatula..

...but seriously....you're right!!!

I like the tire from the rim a lot!! I would just rip even more holes into the thing, like some shrapnels just tore it apart! Could account for the odd hole in the mud guard as well!?

Great show m8!!! Highly impressive!!

Cheers

Romain

jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, September 11, 2014 - 02:01 AM UTC
Thanks for the kind words again Romain buddy. I have a lot more destruction planned for the wee little Citoen,mineral,animal and vegetable so,no worries!
J
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,295 posts
Armorama: 1,191 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 11, 2014 - 02:41 AM UTC

Dave,
There is a Japanese guy named Keiichi Aoki that posts on Missinglynx on the Constructive Comments forum. He uses a Electronic microscope when he paints figures and uses hair from a stuffed toy for enhancing the figures hair. The effect is disturbingly realistic.
Yes,I agree,my arms are sore from trying to reach the bar Nick sets every time he posts.
J[/quote]

I think I have seen ome of his stuff Jerry. Absolutely insane detail. I just want my next figure to look like the last one I painted, or maybe a little better. I am patient and know the benefit of taking your time. It pays off in the end, but I also want to get to the end on each one I do and not just redo and redo again.

SdAufKla
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,238 posts
Armorama: 2,158 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 11, 2014 - 02:47 AM UTC
Coming along very nicely, Jer, and as always, I'm looking forward to seeing what's next!

Gotta agree with you about Keiichi Aoki - his work is simply phenomenal. The vignette he did with the Master Box (I think) "Check Point" figures, the one that has the little girl in it, just blows me away every time I look at it. That figure must only be about as tall as the last two knuckles on my pinky finger are long, yet it has more expression and life in it than all the figures I've ever painted put together.

Of course, every thing else he paints is just as good. Whenever I want some inspiration and motivation on just what is possible with figure painting, I browse through the photos I've collected of Keiichi's works. His faces are just breath-taking.

One day I hope to be half as good...
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, September 11, 2014 - 04:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Dave,
J

I think I have seen ome of his stuff Jerry. Absolutely insane detail. I just want my next figure to look like the last one I painted, or maybe a little better. I am patient and know the benefit of taking your time. It pays off in the end, but I also want to get to the end on each one I do and not just redo and redo again.

[/quote]

Yeah well,
That last guy you did sure turned out very nicely. Pat yourself on the back brother. The only thing I could suggest on the old mechanic guy was a horizontal touch up under the eyes. There is a little end of a brush stroke on the bottom eyelids on each eye. Not that I could do any better!! LOL
J
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, September 11, 2014 - 04:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Coming along very nicely, Jer, and as always, I'm looking forward to seeing what's next!

Gotta agree with you about Keiichi Aoki - his work is simply phenomenal. The vignette he did with the Master Box (I think) "Check Point" figures, the one that has the little girl in it, just blows me away every time I look at it. That figure must only be about as tall as the last two knuckles on my pinky finger are long, yet it has more expression and life in it than all the figures I've ever painted put together.

Of course, every thing else he paints is just as good. Whenever I want some inspiration and motivation on just what is possible with figure painting, I browse through the photos I've collected of Keiichi's works. His faces are just breath-taking.

One day I hope to be half as good...

I think you are already way more than half as good brother. If they had animatronics small enough your guys could climb out of the commanders' hatches and be taken for the real deal.
J