Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Another 105mm
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 24, 2014 - 02:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I've done a quick search and found this :

http://marvel.wikia.com/Orikal_(Earth-616)

I guess I should take that as a compliment...Thanks

Keep on the good work Jerry !

H.P.

Yes,of course,a compliment was intended. I was trying to say you either know everything or know exactly where to find everything and so are all-knowing-all seeing,etc etc.
Thanks as always for your excellent refs buddy.
J
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, September 24, 2014 - 06:42 AM UTC
I got the chance to work on this a little yesterday. I am trying to finish up the stuff that goes inside the car so I can close it up. I had to turn this guy into a German from a Russian. He is from the Miniart WWII drivers' set and this is a very very nice set. The sculpting is really nice. Here is the initial putty work. I should point out the hands and head are Hornet products.

And with primer. Lets me see where I need to improve.

The Obersts' torso had to twist to match the top and bottom and I started doing that. It needs more work on the pant leg folds and drapes as well as the tunic. Plus a lot of other places. I see a major"pose flaw" in the head and neck that I have to fix. I forgot a cardinal rule. The head pivots on top of the spine and doesn't"hinge".

And with primer

The little buggy (as my Dad used to say) looks a lot different with the primer on it.

Is it OK to put a car in the dio section?
J
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 24, 2014 - 06:55 AM UTC
Coming along nicely, Jerry! I'm liking that Tamiya kit more and more. Ahhh ... maybe when I finish some of my current projects.

—mike
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,727 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 24, 2014 - 07:10 AM UTC

Hi Jerry,

great job on the driver and on the traction avant m8!! Congratulations!!!

I wonder if the neck part of the officer would not be way too thick!!??!

Waddayasay???!

Cheers

Romain
kurnuy
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 1,491 posts
Armorama: 997 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 24, 2014 - 07:32 AM UTC
Hello J ,

it's quite amazing how you are able to shape those figures, really top work so far.

And it is also quite amusing to see that Romain is always a little early with his comment because i'm pretty sure that you will make some adjustments on the neck.

Nice work !

Kurt
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, September 24, 2014 - 07:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello J ,

it's quite amazing how you are able to shape those figures, really top work so far.

And it is also quite amusing to see that Romain is always a little early with his comment because i'm pretty sure that you will make some adjustments on the neck.

Nice work !

Kurt

Thanks Kurt,
Yes,Romain is usually spot on with his opinions but he usually doesn't read my posts. I did comment about the neck. I didn't sand down the thickness yet as I want to make the whole neck shorter first. The neck should privet and not hinge,and so I must adjust it.
Comforting to know that he has a good eye though. I can depend on that.
J
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 24, 2014 - 08:11 AM UTC
Hi Jerry,

Good progress, coming along nicely.

Al
kurnuy
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
Posted: Wednesday, September 24, 2014 - 08:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hello J ,

Nice work !

Kurt

Thanks Kurt,
Yes,Romain is usually spot on with his opinions but he usually doesn't read my posts. I did comment about the neck. I didn't sand down the thickness yet as I want to make the whole neck shorter first. The neck should privet and not hinge,and so I must adjust it.
Comforting to know that he has a good eye though. I can depend on that.
J

You're absolutely right ! And i like his motto too .

I'm sorry for the loss of your dog by the way , wish you a lot of happier times.

Cheers

Kurt
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, September 24, 2014 - 09:26 AM UTC
Thanks Kurt,
Time has passed an so the loss gets easier but our other dog is still very sad. He misses his playmate.
J
Stickframe
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,661 posts
Armorama: 1,202 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 24, 2014 - 06:36 PM UTC
Hi Jerry - as always, amazing work on your figures....! You make them look so fluid and natural - not stiff resin or plastic guys with a nice paint job!!! I'm not sure at this point wether to be inspired or frustrated tho!!! As I plan on building more figures, and am generally optimistic, I'll stick with inspired!!! I just can't figure out how you do it!!!

Looking forward to the next post
Cheers
Nick
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 24, 2014 - 07:41 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Jerry - as always, amazing work on your figures....! You make them look so fluid and natural - not stiff resin or plastic guys with a nice paint job!!! I'm not sure at this point wether to be inspired or frustrated tho!!! As I plan on building more figures, and am generally optimistic, I'll stick with inspired!!! I just can't figure out how you do it!!!

Nick, I'm with you: Frustrated, generally optimistic but definitely inspired! ... and very thankful that Jerry is sharing!

—mike
andyevans
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 369 posts
Armorama: 249 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 25, 2014 - 08:55 AM UTC
Really nice work Jerry, thanks for the book info BTW

jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, September 26, 2014 - 02:50 AM UTC
Thanks guys,for always being so nice to me,
I got more putty work done yesterday as well as some work done on the radio. Hopefully I will take some pics today,
J
panzerconor
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,271 posts
Armorama: 1,253 posts
Posted: Friday, September 26, 2014 - 03:14 AM UTC
It's amazing to go and see just how much this diorama has grown from the project ti was a few years ago. Unless this was the plan the whole time? I love how you're putting together the casualties, really impressive, even by your standards haha. It's a shame that such a nice car came to such a gruesome fate though

-Conor
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, September 26, 2014 - 04:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It's amazing to go and see just how much this diorama has grown from the project ti was a few years ago. Unless this was the plan the whole time? I love how you're putting together the casualties, really impressive, even by your standards haha. It's a shame that such a nice car came to such a gruesome fate though

-Conor

Actually the basic dio plan was right from the start supposed to be something like this. I added different details as I went along and got more ideas,etc. Thanks for the kind words little brother.
Here is the latest app. of putty on the three amigos.

The Oberst is coming along. Neck is way shorter and putty is shaved down. Now I need to fine tune the details. You can see a lot of the molded on detail has been removed in prep.for PE additions from AM.

And the adjutant/radioman

I am not paying as much attention to detail as most of these guys will be almost invisible inside the car.
Here is the cargo of death so far. Almost done with the radio. I can't add the antennae till the body is on the car.
I will also be making the head and handsets for the FuG/Tornister.

1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Friday, September 26, 2014 - 06:04 AM UTC

Jerry me boy...

Apparently my brain isn't what it used to be...!! I read your comment...and for unknown reasons thought it was referring to the other soldier

The casualties are getting there and are looking superb so far. You really are THE master of figure conversion!!!

Please don't get me wrong, and if the car will really hide most of them, it won't probably matter at all, but the right arm of the seated soldier with the cap looks like there is still control of it!

If a man is dead, the arm follows gravity alone and is not bent to almost horizontal (perfectly shown on the other figure!).

Sorry if I sound nagging...but I just want to help!

Cheers

Romain

jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, September 26, 2014 - 06:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Jerry me boy...

Apparently my brain isn't what it used to be...!! I read your comment...and for unknown reasons thought it was referring to the other soldier

The casualties are getting there and are looking superb so far. You really are THE master of figure conversion!!!

Please don't get me wrong, and if the car will really hide most of them, it won't probably matter at all, but the right arm of the seated soldier with the cap looks like there is still control of it!

If a man is dead, the arm follows gravity alone and is not bent to almost horizontal (perfectly shown on the other figure!).

Sorry if I sound nagging...but I just want to help!

Cheers

Romain

Thanks as always for your kind words and eagle eye here. I think you are correct about that arm. I can say though,that it looks much more convincing when the missing hand is attached. I tried this position in my chair and it took no muscle effort to have my arm hanging like this guy so it is plausible.
J
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, September 26, 2014 - 07:06 AM UTC
The neck on the officer looks much better indeed and the hair on the radioman looks great. You have a real talent for hair!

What putty did you use to sculpt the hair? What will you be using for PE additions?
I'm following the figure portion of this build with great intent, since I've decided to put a halt to forcing my terrible figures into dioramas and focus more on trying to get them right for a change ... or as close as I can, anyway. So essentially, I'm mimicking your process with three practice figures which were laying around in the stash. We'll see how it goes.

Hope you don't mind being stalked!

—mike
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, September 26, 2014 - 08:00 AM UTC
Thanks,stalk away!! If I didn't want the methods to be known I wouldn't post them anyway!
I use A&B Epoxy putty but any two part putty like that will work. It has a long setting time so works well. You can let it dry for a bit and then give some radical changes like his tuft of hair falling down,etc.
The PE will be from the excellent frets of German equipment and decorations I have from Alliance Miniatures. Very useful set for all kinds of projects and well worth the bucks.
J
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 27, 2014 - 04:36 AM UTC
Excellent work Jerry, poses look grand.

Al
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, October 01, 2014 - 03:45 AM UTC
Thanks as always Al,for looking in.
If anyone is building this car this area needs to be addressed.It has a very feint mold seem at the place that is sanded smooth in the picture. It showed up after I sprayed primer.

The other issue was the space between the top of the dashboard and the windshield bottom. It was a surprisingly bad fit considering the usual quality of Tamiya in that regard.
A strip of plastic sort of solved the issue but I could have taken a lot more time on it. I don't think it will be seen much when the car is closed up.

I tried to show the roof liner hanging in shreds a bit and I replaced the molded on dash mounted stick shift with a wire and plastic one. Bad pic though.
Not much of an update but better than nothing,
J
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Wednesday, October 01, 2014 - 03:57 AM UTC

Hi Jerry,

small details, but they add up to the real difference later on!

Time well invested!! Love the idea of the shredded roof liner!!!

Congrats bro!

Cheers

Romain

kurnuy
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
Posted: Wednesday, October 01, 2014 - 07:29 AM UTC
Thanks for the info Jerry , never mind about your updates because they never bore

Cheers

Kurt
yeahwiggie
Visit this Community
Dalarnas, Sweden
KitMaker: 2,093 posts
Armorama: 1,359 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 01, 2014 - 07:53 AM UTC
That looks real good, Jerry.
Personally I'd like to see the driver more collapsed in on himself. He looks not limb enough behind the wheel. To rigid.
The body would look more like a sack of potatoes and the head would be pressed much more back into the neck. The arms and shoulders more dangling/hanging

Don't ask me how I know...
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, October 02, 2014 - 02:49 AM UTC
Romain,Kurt and Ron,
Thanks for looking in and commenting over this now seemingly endless build.
Ron,you are correct about your assessment of the diver. I have never been totally satisfied with his pose. At this point though I have decided to move on before I loose interest again. I just have to hope no one will look that closely inside the car!
I take it you were a medic or EMT? Maybe just happened along a wreck on the road? I saw all my dead guys in Iraq.
Not accusing you,Ron, but this reminds me of one of my pet peeves is being in a big "stupid cloud" on the highway behind a bunch of people that slow down when passing in the opposite direction to satisfy their "shadenfreude" and hopefully glimpse a dead or mangled body in the wrecked cars or trucks. Makes me yell at the windschield.. Idioten!!
J