Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Another 105mm
yeahwiggie
Visit this Community
Dalarnas, Sweden
KitMaker: 2,093 posts
Armorama: 1,359 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 02, 2014 - 05:41 AM UTC
Let's just say I did get "a hands-on" experience a few times and arrived at such a scene or similar before the paramedics did.

I must say your wok on the other casualties looks quite convincing and I think It'd be a shame (and likely a nuisance to the creator too) if this guy would not match that.

Maybe just "sculpt" the torso into the steeringwheel and add head, legs and arms. Most of the details on the front would be invisible and it would be pretty shapeless overall anyway.
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Friday, October 03, 2014 - 02:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Let's just say I did get "a hands-on" experience a few times and arrived at such a scene or similar before the paramedics did.

I must say your wok on the other casualties looks quite convincing and I think It'd be a shame (and likely a nuisance to the creator too) if this guy would not match that.

Maybe just "sculpt" the torso into the steeringwheel and add head, legs and arms. Most of the details on the front would be invisible and it would be pretty shapeless overall anyway.

Ok ok Ron,
You have shamed me into modifying the driver. I will get some happy snaps up when I make more progress!

J
panzerconor
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,271 posts
Armorama: 1,253 posts
Posted: Friday, October 03, 2014 - 03:14 AM UTC
I love these endless builds! I gotta agree with Ron though, even not witness such a scene in person, it would make sense to go back and tweek the corpse to match up on the same level as the other figures. Then again, I didn't even give it a thought til it was brought up hahaha. Regardless, I've got the utmost confidence that you'll hit this one perfectly. Looking forward to more pics!

-Conor
SdAufKla
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,238 posts
Armorama: 2,158 posts
Posted: Friday, October 03, 2014 - 09:43 AM UTC
Just checking in to say I'm still following along and enjoying every update, Jer!

What I'm really looking forward to is seeing how all the parts are going to fit together.

Anyways, it's coming along and promises to be another great one!
yeahwiggie
Visit this Community
Dalarnas, Sweden
Posted: Friday, October 03, 2014 - 09:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Ok ok Ron,
You have shamed me into modifying the driver.

Always glad I can help
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, October 04, 2014 - 02:49 AM UTC
Conor,Mikey and Ron,
Thanks for checking in again. This has really dragged on for a looooooong time now so it is always very humbling when I see people are still with me. I did some "majo" mods to the dead driver last night so I think all you corpse critics will be more happy now.
J
J
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, October 04, 2014 - 03:57 AM UTC
Here is what happened last night.
The driver as he started with the initial pose.

Here is how he looks with a lot of plastic removed and some putty added. He is still under construction so bear with me(Romain)as more putty needs to go on.
I had to remove a bit of Roger Saunders' excellent expression from the face around the eyebrows.

Bear in mind his right arm will be trapped behind the Obersts' mapboard and so is looking a bit out of place right now.
J
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 04, 2014 - 04:03 AM UTC
Brilliant! I like the placement of the radio equipment and helmet in the back seat as well!

Any plans for a battery operated blaring horn while you're at it?!

—mike
yeahwiggie
Visit this Community
Dalarnas, Sweden
Posted: Saturday, October 04, 2014 - 05:57 AM UTC
That is exactly what I meant!
Looking a whole lot better!
panzerconor
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, October 04, 2014 - 06:47 AM UTC
There you go! It does make a difference (more so than I would have thought), give yourself a high five.

-Conor
Stickframe
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,661 posts
Armorama: 1,202 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 04, 2014 - 07:07 AM UTC
HI Jerry -- I've got to say, it's fascinating to watch your work - I know, I've said it before, but really!!! wow! Did I read earlier in this post you were keeping the doors closed? - if not, sorry - if so, well, maybe you could open one or two? - maybe a nervous, futile attempt at escape? - these guys are just too nice to be closed in - out of the theme of the dio or not!

looking forward to the next episode of the Jerry Show!

cheers
Nick
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,727 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 05, 2014 - 02:21 AM UTC

Big improvement on the driver bro!!

Major surgery ŕ la Jerry!!

Congrats m8!!! Great show!!!!

I agree that one door at least could be open...just to show the effort you put into the interior cum passengers/driver!!!

Maybe you can change your mind!??!?

Cheers

Romain

AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 05, 2014 - 06:55 AM UTC
Hi Jerry,

Coming along well, figures look the part, nice work indeed.

Cheers

Al
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, October 06, 2014 - 01:46 AM UTC
Mike--Thanks buddy!!
Ron-I thought you would like that!
Conor- This is what I was going for in the first place. I just thought I could fudge it. You guys are too sharp to let it go.
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, October 06, 2014 - 01:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

HI Jerry -- I've got to say, it's fascinating to watch your work - I know, I've said it before, but really!!! wow! Did I read earlier in this post you were keeping the doors closed? - if not, sorry - if so, well, maybe you could open one or two? - maybe a nervous, futile attempt at escape? - these guys are just too nice to be closed in - out of the theme of the dio or not!

looking forward to the next episode of the Jerry Show!

cheers
Nick

Nick-Thanks for the very generous comments. I did plan to have the front passenger door open so all is not lost.
J
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, October 06, 2014 - 01:50 AM UTC
Romain and Alan,

Thanks for keeping up with this extended build. I do have plans to let the door open. If you look back at the previous postings here you can see the officer spilling out of the door. You can see into that side of the car and view the driver that way. So it's all good!!
J
panzerconor
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, October 06, 2014 - 05:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Conor- This is what I was going for in the first place. I just thought I could fudge it. You guys are too sharp to let it go.

Over the past few years on here watching yours and other's builds and seeing comments on my own, I've learned to be sharp I wouldn't call the other attempt "fudging" it though. But the current figure definitely looks more natural. That's one difference between you and I- I wouldn't have had it in me to go back and re-position a figure like that. Not yet at least hahaha.

-Conor
Plasticat
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 448 posts
Armorama: 245 posts
Posted: Monday, October 06, 2014 - 07:12 AM UTC
Will you be able to reconnect the steering column under the dash? It looks like you had to do a bit of cutting to achieve this most excellent new pose.
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, October 07, 2014 - 01:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Over the past few years on here watching yours and other's builds and seeing comments on my own, I've learned to be sharp I wouldn't call the other attempt "fudging" it though. But the current figure definitely looks more natural. That's one difference between you and I- I wouldn't have had it in me to go back and re-position a figure like that. Not yet at least hahaha.

-Conor

I try to keep the building standards up as I go along but sometimes I just want to see progress and start to cut corners. Nice to have extra eyes to keep me honest. I want to have it look OK but also don't want to get bogged down in details that will be on a peripheral part of the dio. My typical quandary!!
J
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, October 07, 2014 - 01:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Will you be able to reconnect the steering column under the dash? It looks like you had to do a bit of cutting to achieve this most excellent new pose.

Thanks for the kind words. Yes,I had to cut the steering column to get the guy out. I needed to have the driver sort of melted into the wheel and that was impossible without actually attaching him to it!
Now I may have to make a whole new column as the angle seems to have moved from the addition of putty to his chest. And so it goes....
J
Hederstierna
Visit this Community
Nordjylland, Denmark
KitMaker: 1,102 posts
Armorama: 1,018 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 07, 2014 - 02:25 AM UTC
Jerry
Your Work is truly stunning, and I'd never be able to get anywhere near your level in figures. But I just feel that I need to be honest aout that driver. I really think it would look more natural if his left arm was sort of danling/hanging downwards insted of being bend. Off cause, if the door is closed, no one will notice. Hope I'm not eing to annoying.
Regards
Jacob
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, October 07, 2014 - 04:07 AM UTC
Thanks for looking in Jacob and for your compliment. I think the arm would go like that because there is not much room at all between the driver and the side of the car. Very cramped. The arm would tend to stop at the first obstruction I think. Therefor the leg is the arms' final resting place here.
I have made a bit more progress. Hope it looks a bit better now as this driver is getting all kinds of attention. Another layer of putty and some PE shoulder straps.

The map board will have some scale maps on/around it.

Our poor Oberst has received his first application of PE. The plastic corpse has been propped up for photography like an Old West Outlaw picture.
He has a Crimea Shield on the left shoulder,rank straps,German Cross,national eagle,honor roll ribbons,Infantry Assault Badge,Wound Badge and Iron Cross 1st class in addition to the Knights' Cross. Once again,I have never done an officer like this and definitely not one so well decorated.

I think the honor roll ribbons are a bit too large still. I will be adding the Iron Cross 2nd class ribbon and the clasp for the award from the First WW along with a small pistol holster. The collar litzen will be decals. I usually paint these on but I am getting lazy in my old age.
Thanks for looking in guys.
J
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, October 08, 2014 - 09:30 AM UTC
Got the driver about all painted. Needs a few touch ups and the shading on the boots is still to be accomplished.
Frenchie gave the intel about the seats being stuffed with horsehair so I gave that a stab with the holein the passenger seat.

Not as finished off as I would like but when you see the nevt pic of the guy actually in the car you can realize why I didn't spend a whole lot of time on him

You can barely see anything!!

Oh well,probably wasted way more time than I should have.
J
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 08, 2014 - 10:09 AM UTC
Jerry,
The driver looks great! The damaged seat and headliner really do it for me — great attention to minute details!

—mike
disorderly
Visit this Community
Ireland
KitMaker: 125 posts
Armorama: 114 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 08, 2014 - 10:12 AM UTC
Simply astounded with this - Right down to the stuffing coming out of the seat.