Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Another 105mm
panzerconor
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,271 posts
Armorama: 1,253 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 23, 2014 - 01:31 PM UTC
Wow Jerry, this one's really kicked off. I love all the details put into it. I'm readinng Normandiefront right now and this is a nice addition to it hahaha. Really glad you hit on this subject of Normandy... good change from all the panzers and shermans haha

-Conor
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,295 posts
Armorama: 1,191 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 23, 2014 - 01:54 PM UTC
Jerry this is absolutely awesome my friend!!!
Great job all around mister. Yep, very very cool. A forty year old decal...cool.

Keep going, don't let a little broken wagon wheel keep you from completion!

Dave

ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,295 posts
Armorama: 1,191 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 23, 2014 - 02:12 PM UTC
Oh, and it's the cross on the back that's painted on... I think

justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 23, 2014 - 04:40 PM UTC
Even with red crosses around, I can't take my focus off of the broken wheel. Great job!

--mike
Stickframe
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,661 posts
Armorama: 1,202 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 23, 2014 - 04:57 PM UTC
Hi Jerry - in addition to the really nice broken wheel - the wagon "sits" just right! The way it sags diagonally looks perfect! Like the others, can't wait to see it in a scene! Oh, the overall build looks great too!

Cheers
Nick
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 24, 2014 - 04:41 AM UTC
Al,Romain,Conor and Dave,
Thanks for all the kind words and support. This has been a learning curve for me as usual. It has been so long since I used an airbrush I forgot most of the basics. I didn't let the white paint on the roof dry before I put some clear gloss on to prepare for the big red cross decal and the clear paint of course acted like a solvent and there was a big mess. The decal is on though so I will have to work around/over/through it.
J
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, July 24, 2014 - 04:44 AM UTC
Mike and Nick,thanks for checking up on me here. I do think the thing has a nice sit to it. Really from another era though. Imagine we were ending the war with the Pershing tank and a fully mechanized army and they were still using a lot of this stuff on the other side.
And Dave,you got it spot on with the rear red cross. Good eye.
J
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, July 26, 2014 - 07:06 AM UTC
How's it goin' everybody?
Got a few details done on the wagon. Also did some more with some washes on the upper parts. Mainly I made a medics' vest and replaced the back door handle. Al was correct about that looking out of place. I still have to weather it a bit.
The wehrmachts opinions concerning the Jabos in Normandy ran from healthy respect all the way to sheer terror. They took heavy measures to counter this threat. Heavy natural cammo was the main way,combined with moving at night and always having "air guards" on the vehicles. Even the ambulance was not safe and there are plenty of pics of destroyed 'Sankas" to prove that.
My crew here has tried to make extra sure of the vehicles status by hanging a medics' vest from the side. Some vehicles got painted totally white with even bigger red crosses. Not much help.
The vest is lead foil.

Back to work! Thanks for your support along the way.
J
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 26, 2014 - 07:26 AM UTC
Hi Jerry,

Looks excellent.

Al
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 26, 2014 - 07:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Some vehicles got painted totally white with even bigger red crosses. Not much help.

Just made for better target practice, I guess!

The medics' vest is stunning -- so original!

--mike
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,727 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 26, 2014 - 09:00 AM UTC

Bravo Jerry!!

I assume you are going to leave the ambulance just standing around, without horses...or are you planning to include a dead horse.!???!??

That would be sensational...but hardly recommended!

Best wishes

Cheers

Romain

jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, July 27, 2014 - 03:40 AM UTC
@Al-thanks for the kind word buddy
@Mike- In all fairness,when you are making a tactical ground attack strafing run at around 300 MPH it is kind of difficult to make a snap vehicle ID call. But,those big red crosses can't be that hard to see?
The common excuse given was that the Germans were using the ambulances to move troops and ammo. That's pretty much a crock.
@Romain-thanks pal. Horses? Hmmmm...I suppose you will have to stay tuned?
J
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 27, 2014 - 04:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The common excuse given was that the Germans were using the ambulances to move troops and ammo. That's pretty much a crock.

That reminds me of a story our Mother shared with us: An Allied pilot took a strafing run at her while pushing my Step Brother, Winfred in a baby carriage. They were spared when a brave soul pushed them aside in the nick of time. I guess the pilot thought Mom was moving troops and ammo!

--mike
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, July 27, 2014 - 06:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

That reminds me of a story our Mother shared with us: An Allied pilot took a strafing run at her while pushing my Step Brother, Winfred in a baby carriage. They were spared when a brave soul pushed them aside in the nick of time. I guess the pilot thought Mom was moving troops and ammo!

--mike

I quickly learned in the Army that all soldiers aren't saints and all officers aren't gentlemen. Even in the USArmy.
J
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Monday, July 28, 2014 - 04:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I quickly learned in the Army that all soldiers aren't saints and all officers aren't gentlemen.

The Marines on Guadalcanal complained how the officers ransacked the supplies and care packages and took the best for themselves.

Great scratching, Jerry.
SdAufKla
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,238 posts
Armorama: 2,158 posts
Posted: Monday, July 28, 2014 - 12:22 PM UTC
Coming along very nicely, Jer!

The vest is a great little detail that adds a degree of "humanness" and personality to the wagon.

Following along and, as always, looking forward to the next update.
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 29, 2014 - 03:39 AM UTC
Bill and Mike,
Thanks friends,for checking in. Yes,it always adds a lot of interest to a build when you bring the human element to it. Reminds us of who and what actually was using these these things.
J
kurnuy
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 1,491 posts
Armorama: 997 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 29, 2014 - 07:36 AM UTC
Hello Jerry ,

it's looking great for sure ! Excellent job !

Cheers

Kurt
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, July 30, 2014 - 05:20 AM UTC
Thanks Kurt,
Glad that you like it buddy,
J
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, August 08, 2014 - 01:51 PM UTC
Just got back from a day trip to Trader Joes'. The cool thing about it was that I got to go to the incomparable "Avenel Hobbies". I saw some new things I coveted but could only get a few before I busted my budget. Got some more Life Color paints. Did I say how much I like these? heehee.
Not out yet was the new Dragon set of Marines in Guadlcanal. Can't wait but will have to.
I did pick up this set which would have really helped a bunch when I was building my horse team for this gun.

The two horses are very nice and each one has two heads to choose from. The sculpting and detail on the animals is excellent.

There are two frets of PE. One useful looking one has all the bridle parts and various tack and nicely includes some horse shoes,with nails!!
A smaller fret includes medals,rank badges and epaulets,belt buckles,etc.

You can also see the nice belly band in there. Like I said,wish this was around when I was building my team. Maybe next time?
Haven't been around much here as we had to put one of our precious dogs down last week. I always take this very hard but she was really suffering and it wasn't fair to her. She was a good dog.
J

1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Friday, August 08, 2014 - 07:08 PM UTC

So sad to hear about your dog m8!
They are part of the family...and the only problem is the disparity of our respective lifespans!

We share the same philosophy here: as long as the dog enjoys life, I'd do anything to prolong his/her life, but if the suffering starts...and there's no cure, I must stop being selfish!

R

Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,094 posts
Armorama: 2,942 posts
Posted: Friday, August 08, 2014 - 10:30 PM UTC
Sorry to hear about your dog Jerry. Had to put one of mine down a few years ago and I took it pretty hard too but it was a similar thing to you- she was suffering and it was the only thing to do. I feel for you bro.
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, August 09, 2014 - 01:37 AM UTC
Romain and Karl,
Thanks old buddies for your sympathy.
We really miss her every day. She had a sweet spirit for such a big dog.
But it is nice not seeing her suffer any longer with all of that cancer. Our neighbor said it best."When they can't be a dog any more,then it's time". That's when it's time to help your old dear friend.
I was given a gift the night before she passed. I got to see her dreaming and all of her good legs were moving and she was barking probably at some squirrel or chasing her brother all while sleeping. She was a vibrant healthy dog once again in her dreams and that image is what I now remember of her.
J
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Saturday, August 09, 2014 - 02:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

"When they can't be a dog any more,then it's time". That's when it's time to help your old dear friend.
I was given a gift the night before she passed. I got to see her dreaming and all of her good legs were moving and she was barking probably at some squirrel or chasing her brother all while sleeping. She was a vibrant healthy dog once again in her dreams and that image is what I now remember of her.
J

That's the way!!

yeahwiggie
Visit this Community
Dalarnas, Sweden
KitMaker: 2,093 posts
Armorama: 1,359 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 09, 2014 - 08:32 PM UTC
Cherish the gift and memory, Jerry.

Best of luck to you all.