Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Another 105mm
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Monday, July 14, 2014 - 03:32 AM UTC

Tomas,
The thing that confuses me is I thought the rear foot rest platform was able to be folded up? Your restoration doesn't appear to let that happen?
Am I wrong or just missing the hinges?
Also,is this limber indeed the type 18/40 limber? I think it is but am not sure. It could be the type 18 limber instead?
J
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,727 posts
Posted: Monday, July 14, 2014 - 08:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

ooooh!!!! A new element..!!!

And it looks like more geegees!!! Super!!

Impatient to see where this is leading to!!

Cheers

Romain

Romain!!! My wife was floored when I told her of this post quote!!!! She thought for certain that no one else in the universe used the term " Geegees " for horses....

Awesome!

must be a "generations thingy" and very british too, so...!!

Glad you had some fun!!

Cheers

Romain

Romain, my wife wants you to know that she is WAY younger then I am... And how did you know that her Pompa was British!!! Or at least that she was from British decent???

Hi Dave,

you got me terribly wrong I'm afraid! I would never suggest your missus were elderly!!

THAT particular remark was referring to me! I'm the "Old Generation" here (or at least part of ).

And british....well, I've never heard the term outside Britain anyway (except perhaps me using it ).

That has to do with my affinity to good old England! I can't help it....it brought me to the parachute, it provided me with real good friends and a son in law!!

You cannot fight that, can you!

Cheers

Romain

Romain, no worries... My wife and I were just funning with you

We know what you meant all along... But she isn't getting any younger either to know

Her Pompa (?) was actually from Birmingham. She's the youngest of four and can remember him playing soldiers with her older brothers. They would all be wearing ice cream pail "helmets"

Anyway Romain, no offence was given and none was taken!!

Cheers M8

No worries indeed!!

On the contrary...! A bit of fun!!!

And that's like a sunray in our lives, isn't it!!

Cheers

Romain

jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 15, 2014 - 10:46 AM UTC
I didn't like the look of the kits' tree and front axle as shown here.

So I built one more like the prototype

I still have work to do fairing in the hook at the end and some wingnuts,etc but I think it's better now?

justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 15, 2014 - 10:59 AM UTC
Jerry,
As usual: A lot of extra work but man, what a difference that makes! I admire your impeccable work ethics ... you're hired!!!

--mike
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2014 - 01:40 AM UTC
Thanks Mike,will that include dental?
J
Paulinsibculo
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,322 posts
Armorama: 1,239 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2014 - 05:56 AM UTC
Hi Jerry,

Good to see how you are able to improve one of the items of the modeling stone age!
Just wondering if the original model had a brake handle on the right side (in Europe coaches and wagons are/were controlled from the right seat by the coachman).

Looking forward to see your next series of photos.

Cheers
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2014 - 06:06 AM UTC
Paul,
Thanks for looking in again. This model is old but still not bad and the horses are nice. They have pretty accurate harness as well. Yes,the model has the hand brake. It was broken off mine over the years and I haven't gotten around to replacing it yet. It has a nice linkage down to the axle and everything.
J
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2014 - 09:24 AM UTC
Nice work Jerry,

Al
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,727 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2014 - 10:04 AM UTC

This is really shaping up into something special!

Congrats m8!!

And I would (of course) include dental!!

Cheers

Romain
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,295 posts
Armorama: 1,191 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2014 - 12:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

This is really shaping up into something special!

Congrats m8!!

And I would (of course) include dental!!

Cheers

Romain

I whole heartedly agree with you Romain!!!

Jerry's works are always things of beauty. Like the GeeGees, and that harnesses and everything else!

Jerry, I would hold out for prescription medication too

Thanks for building things I can marvel at for a few minutes every now and then, when I need a break from the daily grind.

SdAufKla
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,238 posts
Armorama: 2,158 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2014 - 01:32 PM UTC
Nice work on the wagon tree, Jer. Replacing the wheels was a good call, too. The new wheels look a heck'o'va lot better than the original ones.

I'm looking forward, as always, to seeing how this is going to come out.

BTW, did you see this link?

http://www.businessinsider.com/never-before-seen-document-reveals-nazi-soldiers-struggle-2014-7

Joe Zrodlowski posted it up on a thread over on M-L. As I was reading it, I couldn't help thinking about this dio.
yeahwiggie
Visit this Community
Dalarnas, Sweden
KitMaker: 2,093 posts
Armorama: 1,359 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2014 - 07:32 PM UTC
I have to say Jerry that you have become one of my favorite "online"-builders.
The extra work, pictures, explanations AND background stories really make it a pleasure to follow your builds.
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, July 17, 2014 - 01:41 AM UTC
Alan,Romain and Dave,
Thanks for looking in gents. Means a lot to me that you do.
Yes,I think I should hire one of you as my benefits' rep. as I am a lousy deal maker.
J
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, July 17, 2014 - 01:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice work on the wagon tree, Jer. Replacing the wheels was a good call, too. The new wheels look a heck'o'va lot better than the original ones.

http://www.businessinsider.com/never-before-seen-document-reveals-nazi-soldiers-struggle-2014-7

Joe Zrodlowski posted it up on a thread over on M-L. As I was reading it, I couldn't help thinking about this dio.

Thanks Mike,
I did see that post. I was a bit skeptical at first because it sounded pretty much like a piece of propaganda written by the USAAF. I suppose I should take it at face value as there was enormous destruction worked on softskin vehicles by said airforce. The armor vehicle claims....hmmmm...different story.
J
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, July 17, 2014 - 01:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have to say Jerry that you have become one of my favorite "online"-builders.
The extra work, pictures, explanations AND background stories really make it a pleasure to follow your builds.

Very nice of you to say that Ron. I know your website was a big big help to me on a recent build that's for sure. I would encourage anyone building a German halftrack to visit your site for info.
J
yeahwiggie
Visit this Community
Dalarnas, Sweden
Posted: Thursday, July 17, 2014 - 02:08 AM UTC
Uhmm, what website would that be; the old halftrackforum?
That has been gone for quite a while now?
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, July 17, 2014 - 02:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

That would be the one. Didn't we converse online about the 251 track when I was building my 251D/11?
Of course,I could be having another senior moment.

J
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 17, 2014 - 03:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks Mike, will that include dental?
J

Sorry, no dental or medical. However, I'll throw in a can of Spam and ten Band-Aids per month -- gotta' keep you building!

--mike
SdAufKla
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,238 posts
Armorama: 2,158 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 17, 2014 - 05:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Thanks Mike,
I did see that post. I was a bit skeptical at first because it sounded pretty much like a piece of propaganda written by the USAAF. I suppose I should take it at face value as there was enormous destruction worked on softskin vehicles by said airforce. The armor vehicle claims....hmmmm...different story.
J

Actually, what really struck me was the descriptions of the GvB officers and Kettenhunde press-ganging WH stragglers and heavy weapons. I had this mental flash of your 105 being hooked up behind an SS prime mover and the crew being directed (not so gently) into the back.

Gotta agree with the wild BDA claims by the US Air Corps, but there's no denying their deep-battle success and dominating air superiority. I think Allied arty also gave the Germans something of an unpleasent surprise.
panzerconor
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,271 posts
Armorama: 1,253 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 17, 2014 - 05:45 AM UTC
That's a really interesting story. Shame that they lost the original journal. I'm gonna try and read it today... You don't see too much about the 17th SS out there. Or I just haven't looked hard enough, which is very likely. Either way it's a great find.

-Conor
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, July 17, 2014 - 06:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Thanks Mike,
J

Actually, what really struck me was the descriptions of the GvB officers and Kettenhunde press-ganging WH stragglers and heavy weapons. I had this mental flash of your 105 being hooked up behind an SS prime mover and the crew being directed (not so gently) into the back.

Gotta agree with the wild BDA claims by the US Air Corps, but there's no denying their deep-battle success and dominating air superiority. I think Allied arty also gave the Germans something of an unpleasent surprise.

Without a doubt it was shocking. The old hares from the ostfront were used to the mass(but poorly aimed) red arty. The use of range finders and bird in the sky FDC was an eye opener to the Germans. They quickly learned to switch off the radios as we were stonking their CPs fairly well and any transmission would soon bring down a firestorm. Land lines and runners were the way from then on.
I read a great account by the guy in charge of their arty in the Cotentin penn. and he told the counterbattery measures were defeated by their wired in network,careful cammo and the firing of all the guns similtaneously so as to confuse the direction finders we were using.
I have read a lot about the Rev War lately and we learned as early as that war that arty was a huge force multiplier.
It is certain that without arty and close support air we would have taken months more to break out of Normandy. Commonwealth or USARMY.
You are correct about not hearing much about the GvB Div Conor,maybe because I would rate it as a second echelon unit.
It was not suitably trained up in time for the big invasion.
J
yeahwiggie
Visit this Community
Dalarnas, Sweden
Posted: Thursday, July 17, 2014 - 06:50 PM UTC
Nope, you're right....

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

That would be the one. Didn't we converse online about the 251 track when I was building my 251D/11?
Of course,I could be having another senior moment.

J

jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, July 19, 2014 - 07:31 AM UTC
I got a lot done but probably doesn't look like it. I had to scrape the seam lines off every spoke on every wheel for one. Replaced the wheel rims with lead foil and made a wheel shot through from above by a 50cal round,resulting in that whell coming to a halt on it's injured portion. Made the missing hand brake and replaced a few overly thick plastic bits with lead foil.
Bit by bit.
A small personal tragady is depicted inside the larger scene of the collapse around Falaise.

Shot some good ol Tamiya primer on to search for defects.

Still a bunch to do but...onward and upward.
J
Stickframe
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,661 posts
Armorama: 1,202 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 19, 2014 - 07:58 AM UTC
Hi Jerry - the wagon is coming along nicely - it looks great, your detail work paid off -

The broken wheel looks really good too - it looks broken as a result of a problem,
during use, and not at the hands of a model builder's pliers - nice! Sometimes easier said than done.

Take care
Nick
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 19, 2014 - 08:15 AM UTC
Hi Jerry,

Excellent work.

Al