_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: AA/AT/Artillery
For discussions about artillery and anti-aircraft or anti-tank guns.
Hosted by Darren Baker
M777
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Monday, December 19, 2011 - 06:31 AM UTC
Does anybody else want to see a US M777 in plastic as much as me? I think it may out do the German's artillery pieces from WWII. Artillery is my first love with gluing my fingers together running a close second.
Dave_Ross
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 34 posts
Armorama: 16 posts
Posted: Monday, December 19, 2011 - 06:53 AM UTC
Sure would like to see an M777 in kit form. Living just down the road from where it was developed, and where the main parts are still made, it would be great.

Here is something to show why it pays to have a camera with you at all times. I was just passing when I saw this arrive at the shipyard where the M777 was developed.

18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Monday, December 19, 2011 - 08:12 AM UTC
Concentrate on the stash. It'll be here soon enough.
Dave_Ross
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 34 posts
Armorama: 16 posts
Posted: Monday, December 19, 2011 - 09:01 AM UTC
Just realised it's 6 years since I posted this same request over on the Finescale Modelers forum. We're still waiting.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Monday, December 19, 2011 - 09:36 AM UTC
Hopefully Dragon, Trumpeter, and/or Tamiya are paying attention.

David: nice catch. I live by a naval base, a naval air base, and the Marine HQ. I've seen subs being painted, but have never been allowed to take pictures. However, I am working on getting a source for the wingy things at the NAS.

Too bad there aren't any schematics for viewing by the general public. I would seriously be trying to scratchbuild this beauty.
redleg12
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 872 posts
Armorama: 831 posts
Posted: Monday, December 19, 2011 - 02:47 PM UTC
As an artillery lover I would totally want to see an M777. While they are at it a styrene M119 too. Soooo...as soon as you finish the scratch build then it will come.

Between AFV and Bronco this has been a big year for US artillery. Hopefully next year will be better.....hopefully soon

Rounds Complete!!
trickymissfit
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
Armorama: 1,357 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 20, 2011 - 06:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

As an artillery lover I would totally want to see an M777. While they are at it a styrene M119 too. Soooo...as soon as you finish the scratch build then it will come.

Between AFV and Bronco this has been a big year for US artillery. Hopefully next year will be better.....hopefully soon

Rounds Complete!!

OK you dropped a new one in my lap. What's an M119? I'd like to see somebody like Dragon do the M110 and M107 to be followed by the M109 series. Of course we still can't get anybody to make an M56 Scorpion in 1/35th scale
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 20, 2011 - 09:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

OK you dropped a new one in my lap. What's an M119?

The current 105mm light, towed howitzer.

The only current model of it is in resin from Mouse House Enterprises out of Australia. I built it here and completed it with a crew and a base here.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 20, 2011 - 10:07 AM UTC
Don't forget the JB Models version: TWO 1:76 kits in one box. Not bad little kits for their size.
LemonJello
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 177 posts
Armorama: 86 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 20, 2011 - 12:05 PM UTC
I, for one, would welcome a plastic kit of the M777 in 1/35. I waited so long for the M198, so I hold out hope for the "triple 7" to make its way to us as well.

- while I'm wishing, could I get an MTVR to tow the M777?
Tank178
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 92 posts
Armorama: 63 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 20, 2011 - 12:08 PM UTC
My battalion has switched over from the M198 to the M777A2 so I would love to see a 1/35 M777. Of course, that would mean I would have to buy and build an FMTV to use as the prime mover. What I would really love to see come out is a HMMWV FDC truck to really complete a nice dio.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 20, 2011 - 02:10 PM UTC
It's hard to believe that, with all of the responses, nobody has a triple 7 kit in production. I may mention it to Italeri, when they send me news on their next kit.
milvehfan
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 2,116 posts
Armorama: 1,080 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 20, 2011 - 02:16 PM UTC
Hi,
I agree, a M119er and the Triple 7 would be very welcome .to the artillery buffs, so whats wrong with the manufactures....LOL

milvehfan
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 20, 2011 - 02:28 PM UTC
I'm thinking Tamiya, AFV Club, and Italeri are the best bet. All of the other manufacturers have become to specific to certain eras and armies. If Dragon does another Pz.IV, I think I will vomit(and this is my fav. tank). Trumpeter has gone the way of eastern armor. And, Hobby Boss does the obscure. Don't get me wrong, I would love to see one of them produce the triple 7. I just don't see it happening.
It looks like you could scratch an M119 using Dragon, AFV Club or Zvezda's old M1A2 105mm.
Trisaw
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,105 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 20, 2011 - 03:09 PM UTC
I'd like to see the M119 and M777 offered too. In addition, it's used by both the U.S. and UK so there should be modelers in the States and Europe interested in one.

Caveat: Did the USMC ever decide to build the buy the DragonFire auto-loading mortar?
skyshark
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 703 posts
Armorama: 499 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 20, 2011 - 04:19 PM UTC
I think we need to stop buying kits from these companies for a while. I'm sure everyone has enough in there stash to hold them over til these companies start hearing what we want. They hear from a few guys tell what they want produced and they convince them this is what everyone wants. There was a post a while back of what guys wanted one the guys on here I will not call his name (Jimbrae) said no one else wants that stuff. It is some of the same stuff we are talking about on this post. If you look at his interest it seems mighty funny that it is what is being producted. I just think these companies need to open their ears and make what we want. It will sell!
jjasmine
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 112 posts
Armorama: 33 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 20, 2011 - 05:39 PM UTC

Quoted Text

My battalion has switched over from the M198 to the M777A2 so I would love to see a 1/35 M777. Of course, that would mean I would have to buy and build an FMTV to use as the prime mover. What I would really love to see come out is a HMMWV FDC truck to really complete a nice dio.

As a former 13F, I would also add a FIST Team in there to really complete the dio.

"Left three zero, add five zero, Fire For Effect, Over"!!
redleg12
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 872 posts
Armorama: 831 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 20, 2011 - 11:39 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I think we need to stop buying kits from these companies for a while. I'm sure everyone has enough in there stash to hold them over til these companies start hearing what we want. They hear from a few guys tell what they want produced and they convince them this is what everyone wants. There was a post a while back of what guys wanted one the guys on here I will not call his name (Jimbrae) said no one else wants that stuff. It is some of the same stuff we are talking about on this post. If you look at his interest it seems mighty funny that it is what is being producted. I just think these companies need to open their ears and make what we want. It will sell!

If you look at the general trend for styrene manufacturers, they like to introduce a kit which can lead to multiple issues with the same molds. Artillery is no different. See the 5 different kits from AFV with their original M2 105mm. Bronco will already have 2 kits with I am sure more to come with their M1 155mm.
The M119 & the M777 would be great in styrene but it would not lead to multiple kits which would make me doubt it is coming soon. Now a good resin manufacturer could be a shot. I will take whatever I can get.

Rounds Complete!!
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 02:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

If you look at the general trend for styrene manufacturers, they like to introduce a kit which can lead to multiple issues with the same molds. Artillery is no different. See the 5 different kits from AFV with their original M2 105mm. Bronco will already have 2 kits with I am sure more to come with their M1 155mm.
The M119 & the M777 would be great in styrene but it would not lead to multiple kits which would make me doubt it is coming soon. Now a good resin manufacturer could be a shot. I will take whatever I can get.

Rounds Complete!!

If it becomes available in resin, it should only be a year or two before we see it in styrene. It will boost the sales of the appropriate tractor/truck and could lead to a release for multiple branches of the military(different crews).
corsair924
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 403 posts
Armorama: 322 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 03:22 AM UTC
Well actually there is one M777 in 1/35th but it has three problems:
only comes assembled,
limited production,
and its $320 each.
Here:

http://www.lifeinscale.net/M777_35_scale_model.asp

I've already asked and he's not interested in expanding production or disassembled 'kits'
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 03:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Well actually there is one M777 in 1/35th but it has three problems:
only comes assembled,
limited production,
and its $320 each.
Here:

http://www.lifeinscale.net/M777_35_scale_model.asp

I've already asked and he's not interested in expanding production or disassembled 'kits'

The whole point is to build and paint it yourself.
HermannB
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 4,099 posts
Armorama: 4,067 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 03:41 AM UTC
Hi Gents,

all I can say about this is that we gave brilliant materials on several modern subjects to a certain Chinese company, Among them were M777, M977, M939 Series, M109 and M992. But as long as they don`t do the M1083 MTV or the MTVR as announced............. From talking to their representatives, I really don`t know what in their heads on their production schedule. Or maybe even the eager Chinese moldmakers can`t follow the announcements.

Just my two cents...

Hans-Hermann
trickymissfit
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
Armorama: 1,357 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 05:55 AM UTC
kinda like a scaled down M777? I'm surprised that nobody has built one in plastic yet. Maybe something to do with Rock Island
gary
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 06:27 AM UTC
A while back I mentioned I had done a 240mm Howitzer (photos of which I posted on here several years ago) using the Hauler 1/72 kit as a guide. Of course I used photo walkarounds from the one at Yuma while going to a school there, and the one at Ft. Sill.
Well, I mentioned the JB Models M118/M119. In case you're wondering why I'd fiddle with a 1:76 kit, it DID make a pretty good guide to go with my photos.
This may make you roll your eyes, but I used a metal barrel and muzzle brake intended for a Wespe. Worked out pretty well. Proceeds of course went to current project.
corsair924
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 403 posts
Armorama: 322 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 02:07 PM UTC

The whole point is to build and paint it yourself.[/quote]

Matt
Yep! no fun otherwise
 _GOTOTOP