Яusso-Soviэt Forum
Russian or Soviet vehicles/armor modeling forum.
Russian T-90 MBT ( Zvezda 1/35)
RWFG01
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 16 posts
Armorama: 15 posts
Posted: Friday, January 06, 2012 - 07:48 AM UTC
This thread is great, I have also ordered this kit!

Just one thing: The beige color on the painting instruction seems to be number 11.
But the paint reference doesn't list any color 11!
Can anyone help me, which color I should buy for the beige on the tritonal painting?

Is this a mistake or did I oversee something?
Warsawpact
Visit this Community
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 321 posts
Armorama: 273 posts
Posted: Friday, January 06, 2012 - 08:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

This thread is great, I have also ordered this kit!

Just one thing: The beige color on the painting instruction seems to be number 11.
But the paint reference doesn't list any color 11!
Can anyone help me, which color I should buy for the beige on the tritonal painting?

Is this a mistake or did I oversee something?

You are correct Jens.
From what i can see there is a number 11 on the Painting Instructions but no number 11 on the Paint reference chart.
Strange!
I guess this is a error from Zvezda.

The same goes for number 19 in the color reference chart. It is not on the Painting instruction...
Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,094 posts
Armorama: 2,942 posts
Posted: Friday, January 06, 2012 - 11:22 PM UTC
Christian- are your painting instructions in color?
(Mine are in black and white.)
predator4848
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 2 posts
Armorama: 1 posts
Posted: Friday, January 06, 2012 - 11:59 PM UTC
you can leave the colour 11 grey, paint it with Model master-1706 sand or with Tamiya XF-59
Warsawpact
Visit this Community
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Saturday, January 07, 2012 - 01:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Christian- are your painting instructions in color?
(Mine are in black and white.)

Hi Karl. My Painting instructions are in black/white.
I would've liked zvezda to have them printed out on a piece of photopaper like Trumpeter/ HobbyBoss do whit their kits.
Warsawpact
Visit this Community
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Saturday, January 07, 2012 - 01:45 AM UTC

UPDATE /- General info

Concerning the the WIP-photos:

Looks like i can't view my uploaded images any more from photobucket. They "excede" bandwith but it will be reset once again at the end of the month. But that is 3+ weeks untill then.
I'm switching to another image-hosting service in the meantime.

Any tips on a provider that do not have a bandwith limit?
(I'm thinking flickr.com? )
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 3,845 posts
Armorama: 3,543 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 07, 2012 - 05:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

UPDATE /- General info

Concerning the the WIP-photos:

Looks like i can't view my uploaded images any more from photobucket. They "excede" bandwith but it will be reset once again at the end of the month. But that is 3+ weeks untill then.
I'm switching to another image-hosting service in the meantime.

Any tips on a provider that do not have a bandwith limit?
(I'm thinking flickr.com? )

Flickr allows you to store 300 mb a month so on average far more than a modeller needs.
That's the best solution in my opinion
Removed by original poster on 01/08/12 - 00:24:47 (GMT).
Removed by original poster on 01/08/12 - 00:31:26 (GMT).
Removed by original poster on 01/08/12 - 00:32:47 (GMT).
Warsawpact
Visit this Community
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Saturday, January 07, 2012 - 12:40 PM UTC
UPDATE 9

*NOTICE*
The photos from UPDATES 1-8 will again be visible on JAN 31

(This is due to photobucket.com bandwith reset)

Now it is time for update number 9, which is the first one i'll be starting out whit the work on the T-90 chassi.

I've had some problems, now whit the kit, but to upload photos. Untill JAN 31 i'll post links to the WIP photos.

So, here we go again.

Rear view chassi:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/24680512@N04/6655970627/

Side view Exhaust:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/24680512@N04/6655977255/

I'm thoroughly enjoying building this kit, it makes me smile somtimes.
Every thing just fits whitout problem, there is no flash and there are almost no issues whit the building instructions. I've found one error so far but it's no big problem.

Untill next time friends!
Warsawpact
Visit this Community
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Saturday, January 07, 2012 - 12:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Flickr allows you to store 300 mb a month so on average far more than a modeller needs.
That's the best solution in my opinion

Thanks for the tip Mauro.
I'll use Flickr.com up untill photobucket once again resets the bandwith on JAN 31.
I'm having problem linking a photo image straight from the forum. I have to use URL text link instead.

It is verry interesting comparing Miniarms T-90 2004 Turret to the Zvezda turret. The only thing i honestly can say is in Miniarms favour is that it provides better detailed smokelauncher aerosol grenades. I will post comparison photos in the next update whit Zvezda vs Miniarm turret.
clay_cliff
Visit this Community
Lima, Peru
KitMaker: 375 posts
Armorama: 371 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 07, 2012 - 12:57 PM UTC
Too bad the T-90A hull at the exhaust zone is like this:

Zvezda missed this detail (Russian brand, shame on you )... I hope Meng Models' T-90A includes this detail
Warsawpact
Visit this Community
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Saturday, January 07, 2012 - 01:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Too bad the T-90A hull at the exhaust zone is like this:

Zvezda missed this detail (Russian brand, shame on you )... I hope Meng Models' T-90A includes this detail

Hello Jose.

The exhause in the zvezda kit is just like the on in the photo. I just have not come so far to add those parts yet, and they look verry similar to the photo when they are all in place.
clay_cliff
Visit this Community
Lima, Peru
KitMaker: 375 posts
Armorama: 371 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 07, 2012 - 02:16 PM UTC
My explanation (again):

This is a T-72 hull, the same goes for an early T-90 (cast turret):

The fuel tank is aligned with the fender boxes (blue line), but this is a T-90A (welded turret) hull:

The fuel tank is not aligned but a little to the left, the responsible is that prominence on the hull, I think it is due to the different exhaust system of the V92 engine. Note that the stamped pattern on the fuel tank is different in a T-90, so you must modify the T-72 fuel tank. Here is another where you can see that prominence without the engine hatch:

Now, this is the Zvezda T-90 hull:

Check the alignment of the boxes/fuel tank, just like the first pics I posted... Now I wait until Meng's T-90s are out.

P.S. All pics used for discussion only.
Tito73
Visit this Community
Peru
KitMaker: 6 posts
Armorama: 5 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 07, 2012 - 07:48 PM UTC
Jose, is evident you know lot of information about this russian monster but...do you have this kit on your hands?
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
Posted: Saturday, January 07, 2012 - 08:10 PM UTC
José, don't get me wrong and please don't be offended, I really don't want to start an argument, I just want to express my point of view. To be honest it seems to me a really minor flaw which probably you can correcrt or you can live with. Sorry but in my humble opinion your criticism are too harsh indeed. Rejecting a such a good model for that minor incorrectness is quite a nonsense in my opinion. Perfect model doesn't exist, even the best kits have this kind of flaws, so looking for "the perfect model" could be frustrating indeed.
Furthermore I bet that eventually Meng won't realize its t-90 or that its mold will be...the same (so we will discover why this kit seems made in China )

Cheers
RWFG01
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 16 posts
Armorama: 15 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 08, 2012 - 12:16 AM UTC
Ok, thank you for the information. I have ordered the MM color.

I will start building my kit soon, it arrived on the weekend.
Warsawpact
Visit this Community
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Sunday, January 08, 2012 - 01:50 AM UTC
UPDATE 10

The work on the chassi is going at lightspeed, at least at the moment.
Currently i'm getting the side-boxes in place and after that the small liner whit connecting points for the side-skirts will be glues into place.

Detailed view of side-box:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/24680512@N04/6659303745/

All the side-boxes + small liners:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/24680512@N04/6659301235/

I don't know how all of you out there do when you build a kit. WHen it comes to the instructions i usually read a few specific build instructions before i get to that point on a model. If i'm at point 8 i read the instructions up to point 10 so i can get a picture on how everything should be built together.
And this is something i encountered while "reading ahead".

Overpressure exhaust-flaps?:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/24680512@N04/6659300979/
Since i am going for an "active-duty" that looks as if it is in action, i was wondering if the parts on the instruction are some form of flaps for a overpressure heat-exhausts? If they are, aren't they supposed to be half-opened due to venting the heated overpressure from the engine? Not closed if i want the tank to be "in motion"?

Or are they something else entirely?
Warsawpact
Visit this Community
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Sunday, January 08, 2012 - 01:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Ok, thank you for the information. I have ordered the MM color.

I will start building my kit soon, it arrived on the weekend.

I hope you have a fun time building your kit Jens!
afv_rob
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,556 posts
Armorama: 2,199 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 08, 2012 - 02:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Since i am going for an "active-duty" that looks as if it is in action, i was wondering if the parts on the instruction are some form of flaps for a overpressure heat-exhausts? If they are, aren't they supposed to be half-opened due to venting the heated overpressure from the engine? Not closed if i want the tank to be "in motion"?

This is the engine fan air intake. The T-72 has these covers as well although they were left off most of the time. I guess they are left open most of the time to prevent over heating, I'll admit though i'm a little unsure.

Excellent work by the way on the build so far. I've been following silently!

My kit arrived yesterday, its an absolute work of art. But a bit strange as well, the turret and details are stunning and almost at the same standard as resin, but the top hull just seems to be lacking. I don't quite now what it is, but the details seem a bit softer and not so nicely moulded as the rest of the model.

As to Jose comments about the exhaust, I see no issues with pointing out errors no matter how minor they are. This kit has a few off them and I think its great to discuss all of the finer points. I intend to throw one together out of the box, but another one will get the same treatment as my T-72B. You should see some comments on Russian forums anyway, they are alive with debates about this kits inaccuracies, perhaps a little over the top in places.
Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,094 posts
Armorama: 2,942 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 08, 2012 - 03:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

This is the engine fan air intake. The T-72 has these covers as well although they were left off most of the time. I guess they are left open most of the time to prevent over heating, I'll admit though i'm a little unsure.

Excellent work by the way on the build so far. I've been following silently!

My kit arrived yesterday, its an absolute work of art. But a bit strange as well, the turret and details are stunning and almost at the same standard as resin, but the top hull just seems to be lacking. I don't quite now what it is, but the details seem a bit softer and not so nicely moulded as the rest of the model.

As to Jose comments about the exhaust, I see no issues with pointing out errors no matter how minor they are. This kit has a few off them and I think its great to discuss all of the finer points. I intend to throw one together out of the box, but another one will get the same treatment as my T-72B. You should see some comments on Russian forums anyway, they are alive with debates about this kits inaccuracies, perhaps a little over the top in places.

Rob, I have to agree with you about the details on the hull top, some of them anyway. They don't look as sharp as some other pieces. Check out the bottom of the hull though- it also looks a bit soft. Not a major problem, just a little strange given the sharpness of some other parts. Then again, when I reviewed Zvezda's recent Paratroopers in Afghanistan set there were also similar contrasts.

Builds looking good Christian. Have you decided what way you are going to do the tracks? I'm only just finished page one but I'm thinking about the running gear at the moment.

As for those flaps on the engine- here they are open on Object 188M, i.e. the T-90M:

Open on a T-90S:

Open on a T-90A:

They appear to usually always have them open, so I reckon Rob is probably right in that it prevents over-heating.
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
Posted: Sunday, January 08, 2012 - 06:06 AM UTC

If you look at the pics you can notice that these flaps are made of rubber and actually it seems that they are in a immovable position (so they can't be "closed"). Is just my guess, but I think they are useful to deviate the hot airflow coming from engine (would it be an Infrared countermeasure?)
afv_rob
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,556 posts
Armorama: 2,199 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 08, 2012 - 06:47 AM UTC
I think they can be moved Maurio, its my understanding they are spring loaded and fitted to a bar just behind the engine fan intakes. As you say as well, they are made of heavy rubber, same as the side skirts.
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
Posted: Sunday, January 08, 2012 - 07:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I think they can be moved Maurio, its my understanding they are spring loaded and fitted to a bar just behind the engine fan intakes. As you say as well, they are made of heavy rubber, same as the side skirts.

Yes, you're right Rob they are hinged. All in all, rectangualar hinged hatches on the rear grilles is a soloution quite common on Russian tanks
Anyawy, as Karl rightly said before, looking at the pics they are most of the times open

http://army.lv/ru/t-90/foto/631/12#info

cheers