Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Warrior WRAP 2.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 27, 2012 - 01:04 AM UTC
Looking quite nice. Hard to believe these things aren't science fiction.
SdAufKla
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,238 posts
Armorama: 2,158 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 27, 2012 - 02:25 AM UTC
Keith,

This one is really looking good! Maybe we can coordinate a meeting at the hobby shop this week so that I can get a first-had look...

I would add to your previous comments about the quality and detail of the Cromwell resin parts.

Having gotten a very good look and had a chance to handle the kits before you've started them I have to say that the quality of the mastering and production is as high as any resin that I've ever seen (and I've seen a lot).

The slat armor, produced in resin generally as single large assemblies, is simply amazing and has to be seen to be appreciated. Having a great appreciation for excellent model building and kit mastering, I've really enjoyed the opportunities that Keith has given me to handle these kits.

They all tempt me in the most serious way to want to do some contemporary armor subjects just to be able to enjoy the overall quality of the Cromwell kits. If these were subjects that I had interest in, the wait for Cromwell to pour and ship the kits would certainly be worth it, IMO.

My hat's off to Mr. Gordon Brown for the overall very high standards on both the mastering of the kits and their production. Very nice work, indeed, sir!

My .02...
dvarettoni
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 778 posts
Armorama: 763 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 27, 2012 - 07:38 AM UTC
thats right Mike come to the dark side you know that you wount too
Keef1648
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,240 posts
Armorama: 1,192 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 28, 2012 - 12:52 AM UTC
The Warrior now has the camera system so I scratch built my own yesterday and I will make one for the front which is bolted to the right side of the drivers forward looking periscope.

Here you can see the cable and retaining clips (made from foil), they will be painted later of course.

Keith.

Ps. Stay off my turf Mike, odball Italian stuff more your speed mate.
SdAufKla
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, October 28, 2012 - 03:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Oh you two! You both do know that the theme for our next contest is "Cold War Armor along the Iron Curtain" which leaves me out - in the cold!

Keith, that rear camera and conduit looks cracking!
Keef1648
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, October 28, 2012 - 03:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Oh you two! You both do know that the theme for our next contest is "Cold War Armor along the Iron Curtain" which leaves me out - in the cold!

Keith, that rear camera and conduit looks cracking!

Thanks Mike, I added a couple more retaining clips after looking at the pictures.

You can paint some poor freezing Italian Alpine trooper in the North of Norway.... AMF(L) mid 70's... That's modern enough and 'Cold' war

Keith.
Keef1648
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, October 28, 2012 - 11:39 PM UTC
Rear camera cover added and more conduit cable retaining clips added. Both are now painted.

Some markings applied to the rear, a little shiny at this point but a dullcoat covering will be applied later.

Early versions (2009) of the IED sensor system now fitted to the front of the Slat armor, The boxes have since been replaced with smaller ones.

That will do it til next weekend.

Keith.
Keef1648
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, November 05, 2012 - 12:20 AM UTC
Started working on completing the turret by adding the slats first.

A slight warp is present but that can be sorted by gently warming the part and then the glue will hold it in the correct position.

The sight protective covers are now painted and in place.

Keith.
Keef1648
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, November 05, 2012 - 11:44 AM UTC
A couple more pictures from yesterdays efforts.

Keith.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Monday, November 05, 2012 - 01:11 PM UTC
This is really some exceptional work! Looks like I may have to scratch build one, as the conversion is no longer available. I like how you defined the exhaust as not being limited to the vent.
majjanelson
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,355 posts
Armorama: 979 posts
Posted: Monday, November 05, 2012 - 03:51 PM UTC
Excellent progress there, Keith.

"... always something on the workbench" is probably something from the UK. Maybe you ought to try something Italian. Or French. Or maybe even Japanese.

And you have such a snazzy signature banner, too.
Keef1648
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, November 05, 2012 - 11:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

This is really some exceptional work! Looks like I may have to scratch build one, as the conversion is no longer available. I like how you defined the exhaust as not being limited to the vent.

Thanks very much, I appreciate the input.

It is still available from Cromwell, I received this just over a month ago along with a Bulldog 432 (full kit) and a week ago a Canadian Leopard 2A6 Barracuda conversion (Trumpeter).

Because payment is through PayPal he uses a parcel tracking number so you can track the parcel and you pay when you receive it.

If you intend to order just insist on that, if he doesn't offer it.. Clean and simple.

I personally have never failed to receive every item I have asked for.(and then some)..

Keith.
Keef1648
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, November 05, 2012 - 11:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Excellent progress there, Keith.

"... always something on the workbench" is probably something from the UK. Maybe you ought to try something Italian. Or French. Or maybe even Japanese.

And you have such a snazzy signature banner, too.

Nah, you couldn't be more wrong... I have a couple of unfinished US items sitting around, A Hummer for one and at least one Sherman.

An Italian 8 wheeled heavy armored car and an Israeli conversion sitting alongside!

Priorities and willingness to complete do compete with each other unfortunately but when you have served on so many different vehicles my love of the British 'stuff' does seem to rise to the fore....

A friend of mine did the banner, not bad is it? (thanks Jeff, nice work Sir).

Keith.
Keef1648
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, November 10, 2012 - 01:24 AM UTC
Last input, as I won't get back to the work table for a while (12 days) due to our Disney trip.

A bit more paint applied and now starting to add the side slat armor supports.

I still have the cam net pole supports to add, rear door and rear corner slats, antennas and weathering, along with a few cables to and from the front IED sensor boxes. Not forgetting the drivers camera and smoke grenade discharger tubes..

Keith.
r2d2
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 424 posts
Armorama: 419 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 10, 2012 - 01:43 AM UTC
Shaping up very well Keith. The body paint matched up perfectly. The tone is just right for the British desert scheme.
Keef1648
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, November 10, 2012 - 01:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Shaping up very well Keith. The body paint matched up perfectly. The tone is just right for the British desert scheme.

Thank you, your comments and input are greatly appreciated.

Keith.
dvarettoni
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 778 posts
Armorama: 763 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 10, 2012 - 03:06 AM UTC
Keith,

looking great sorry that you would be at the next weeking
dave
Keef1648
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, November 19, 2012 - 12:26 AM UTC
I am now back from my week at Disney, in Florida and coming down from being surrounded by 'Magic and Princesses' (keep the jokes clean please).

I have a couple of pictures to add this evening and will be back at the modelling work bench Friday.

Keith.
SdAufKla
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, November 19, 2012 - 04:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I am now back from my week at Disney, in Florida and coming down from being surrounded by 'Magic and Princesses' (keep the jokes clean please).

I have a couple of pictures to add this evening and will be back at the modelling work bench Friday.

Keith.

Welcome back from the "House o'd'Mouse"! I'm guessing that you've had your fill of "It's a Small World After All."
Keef1648
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, November 20, 2012 - 12:30 AM UTC
The evening before we left for Disney I was able to paint and add one side of the lower slat, stand off armor.

With an extra day off due to 'Thanksgiving Day' on Thursday of this week, I will be able to do some serious work on the model, Thursday thru Sunday (if the boss doesn't have other ideas for me)...

For those who are not familiar with the slats, they do tend to get bent and battered due to constant daily use and thus the ones on the model may not look perfect either.

Still a long way to go and much more to add.

'OFF TOPIC'

Happy Thanksgiving to all who will celebrate this year.
Our thoughts will be with all of the young men and women in uniform and away from their loved ones as they stand in harms way.
We thank you for your service.

Keith.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 20, 2012 - 01:26 AM UTC
Watching your build come together has me very excited. Waiting for Gordon to get back to me. This one really stands out. You may have already mentioned it, but what color did you use for your top coat?
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
Armorama: 1,143 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 20, 2012 - 02:31 AM UTC
Keith, been following you amazing build. For a basically OOB builder (myself), it's quite a mind boggling effort. Looking forward to your next update.

And speaking of Thanksgiving, this is the 1st one I've had off in more then 40 years. After Hurricane Sandy, there was some doubt that many of us on Long Island would be having our usual holiday. But after nearly 3 weeks, life is basically back to normal except for the poor folks who lost virtually everything that lived on the extreme south shore.

Joel
Keef1648
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, November 20, 2012 - 03:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Watching your build come together has me very excited. Waiting for Gordon to get back to me. This one really stands out. You may have already mentioned it, but what color did you use for your top coat?

I primed the beast first with Tamiya Grey spray can (very lightly) then with Vallejo surface primer VLJ70613 Desert Tan Base and left it for 72 hours.

I then mixed a drop or two of US desert tan (Polly Scale 4812) with British Gulf Armor (Polly Scale 4813) and a few drops of Laquer thinner and air brushed the bulk of the items.

The same mixture straight from the airbrush bottle has been used for my brush painting and it lays down very well and is almost a flat finish (eggshell in appearence).

Modern British military equipment paint is NOT a dead flat paint for obvious reasons.

Highlighting will be done with a lightened version of the above mixture using/adding a little flat Yellow, White and Skin Tone Base Light 4601 combination (all Polly Scale).

Keith.
razorblade1975
Visit this Community
Gyeonggi-do, Korea / 대한민국
KitMaker: 32 posts
Armorama: 31 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 20, 2012 - 04:53 AM UTC

Your works looks great.

I also hope to build a WRAP2 but I didn't received ordered goods during 19months.

I ordered to Cromwell this WRAP2 and other resin kit on April, Last year.
After payment, Mr. Gordon Brown didn't email or dispatch good so I emailed and email but Mr. Gordon Brown replied he still working it.

I still waiting but his last reply was on March, this year.

DId you all guys really received this goods from Mr. Gordon Brown?

My Name is Stephen Seungdong Baek (S.D. Baek on Email) and lives in South Korea.

Anybody who advise me, please email me to [email protected]
Removed by original poster on 11/20/12 - 17:25:18 (GMT).