Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Panzershop SS-15
Teaker11
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 962 posts
Armorama: 786 posts
Posted: Friday, December 14, 2012 - 10:56 AM UTC
First, take a moment and think of the childern who were killed today in the safety of there school, Hug your childern and Grand childern a little tighter tonight. I will..

Jacques, I wondered what that hole was for it must have a screen to keep something from entering the exhaust.

Today I had a marathon build as things were just going right.
I know I have some clean up to do but I wanted to see the piston work. I am very happy with the results and will have to make another set for the back legs Jacques I have to send you another set. as for my outburst the other day, I was haveing a real bad day, and I am sorry for all who are watching the thread, I should know better. Here are some pictures of todays work

I have been thinking about the rocket for inside the launch tube and I am thinking of looking at Estes rockets parts and seeing if any will worck for the nose cone and rocket body. so I have some reserch this weekend. No pictures till Monday, its the bosses birthday this week end so I will have to make her favorite lasagna. so see you all next week.
Have a good week end all
Jim
Dzhaks
Visit this Community
Voronezh, Russia
KitMaker: 87 posts
Armorama: 87 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 15, 2012 - 05:34 AM UTC
Jim, what kind of heating are you talking about??? You study the construction of the machine badly!!! Our tanks have DIESEL engines... This type of engine burns fuel in the best way and has lower temperature of body and exhaust... For example, Abrams has turbine and high temperature of exhaust, but it did't burnt in the desert from this factors... And what about the burn inside container, which drops the rocket off and when it's fully outside, the engines are starting to work. This burn doesn't make the rocket to fire. And you are talking about exhaust... Dimon 13 showd you screenshots with smoke...

And some more notices: I don't use translaters to write here...
Teaker11
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, December 15, 2012 - 07:01 AM UTC
My thought on the exhaust if it came out of the top of the engine under the cylinder of the rocket the heat could build up and then a disaster. I am not a Soviet engineer, but I worked on defense projects my whole career, Navy, Marines, Airforce and the trasnsfer of heat to a rocket or Bomb is a concern in design. we almost lost an aircraft carrier when a tug was parked to close to a live rack of bombs and they blew up. I also worked on large generators, diesel and they do get quite hot, enough to burn the leaves off ot the tree under the exhaust.
jim
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 15, 2012 - 07:07 AM UTC
Evgeny, I was not talking about you or any postings on this forum. I was referring to Jim using translators on other sites, specifically .ru sites, where things can get messed up in a hurry.

As for the exhaust, yes, it could get too hot for things, even with diesel. I served on M88A1 recovery vehicles at the end of my career and there is a reason they have exhaust deflectors on them. It would take time, but diesel engines are hot enough to damage.

Similar to M1 series tanks, the T-80 series uses gas turbine too.

Jim - the model posted by Evgeny from the Kirov factory seems to show a screen over the exhaust "port".
Teaker11
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, December 15, 2012 - 07:32 AM UTC
I have been going through my scrap pe to find some screen to cover the ports, now I have to go back through all the movies and pictures for hydrolic lines on the back legs and the lifting cylinders could you imagain the weight of the force on the main piviot point between 30 to 75 degrees
on the lift !
Jim
Dzhaks
Visit this Community
Voronezh, Russia
Posted: Saturday, December 15, 2012 - 08:06 AM UTC
Yes, Jim, the weight was fantastic... I always wonder by hydraulic mechanisms and by their work. And some more about heating. I understood you, engine was right under the rocket! I thought you were speaking only about exhausts and their temperature. In my opinion, some protective mechanisms shold be inside container too. I and Dimon 13 are only began to study it. He is making screenshots. Maybe, we will see anything there.
Some more information... There was the second step above the engine, and if you remember, the fuel was empty there until the launch. Maybe you can see any protective screens on video, I cannot do it. I am using mobile phone now and will be able to use normal PC and unlimited internet only tomorrow. Hope, will help you after weekends, as I wrote last page.
Teaker11
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, December 15, 2012 - 09:24 AM UTC
the things were are discusing really have no bearing as to building a model, I have the curse of trying to understand how things work, the heat problem could be solved by adding a heat reflecting material such as aspestoes in the liner of the tube, but if the exhaust is ejected it is a mute point. for engine setups on Soviet viecheals they use big fans. as ther were so few of this system made. were there mutiable shots out of the launch tube, or was it a one time use. if I were designing the system, I would make the tube a throw away and have prloaded launchers ready to be trucked to a launch site to be fitted with a crane. food for thought
jd
Teaker11
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, December 15, 2012 - 12:12 PM UTC
I had to see the launche raised. there is enough material to cut 20 pieces 27 inches long for the pipeing on the side. if long enough I will have to come up with a way to pull in the extra.

and I have come up with the way to do the legs, still looking for the hydrolics.
Jim
Teaker11
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, December 15, 2012 - 03:17 PM UTC
After watching the films this one seems to show the fueling of the rocket. one of the 3 film I beleive shows an industerial accident as 2 men are filling something with i am guessing as something goes wrong they are working and then a white flash and film changes to differen subjuct. I hope I am wrong. this seems to sow the missle being fuled.Фильм Владимира Платонова ЯНГЕЛЬ. 9 серия - YouTube
jim
SGTJKJ
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
Armorama: 4,677 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 15, 2012 - 03:56 PM UTC
Fantastic build, Jim. This is truly a monster!

Looking forward to see more
Dzhaks
Visit this Community
Voronezh, Russia
Posted: Sunday, December 16, 2012 - 02:54 AM UTC
Jim, you were right, one of those videos shows the accident during pre-start prepairing. The second step of the rocket R-16 started by itself, destroyed the rocket's body by fire and you could saw the wall of fire that was 50-100 meters high. 76 people died then... Since those times we launch rockets from safety bunkers. No one is near the rocket, everything before the launch is doing automatically now.

Jim, Dimon-13 published a new story from the operator of Scrooge about it's interior. The story is large. If you'll make the interior, I'll translate it. What will you say?
Teaker11
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, December 16, 2012 - 05:00 AM UTC
Yes I would love to here it, I wonder if I could pre build and put it toghter through both front doors. If not I could always order another kit
jim
Dzhaks
Visit this Community
Voronezh, Russia
Posted: Sunday, December 16, 2012 - 05:20 AM UTC
OK, will try it tomorrow (9:15 p. m. now). There are a lot of worlds and they are not for automatical translater)))

Jim, show please the process of cutting doors. I'm afraid to damage resin when I'll get my kit.
Teaker11
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, December 16, 2012 - 05:41 AM UTC
to cut doors the resin is not that thick, use good sharp razor blade and cut corner a little at a time till you cut through, change blade as it gets dull. It will be harder for me as the fornt bracring will have to be removed'
Jim
Jurjen
Visit this Community
Groningen, Netherlands
KitMaker: 3,040 posts
Armorama: 1,016 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 16, 2012 - 06:23 PM UTC
Impressive! Keep it up!
Teaker11
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, December 17, 2012 - 06:56 AM UTC
Hi all,
Not much of an update today, I did open the missle tube and to my releif it is clear all the way. I did order the parts for the missle hope to have in by friday. I used sharp single razor blades to cut, about a 1/4 of the way and get a new blade so I did get a good clean cut. I was thinking it would be fun to put a spring on the bottom so when you pull a pin the rocket shoots out, HEHE . The tube is fiberglass so the cut will be tough but if you do a little at a time you wont break the tube
Jim

Thats it for today my back is reaally hurting, we have rain on the way.
Have a good day
todorovicandreas
Visit this Community
Austria
KitMaker: 608 posts
Armorama: 593 posts
Posted: Monday, December 17, 2012 - 07:29 AM UTC
Oustanding work so far, Jim!

I hope you recover soon from your hurting back.

All the best,

Andreas
Teaker11
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, December 19, 2012 - 12:14 PM UTC
My back will never heal, I suffer from 4 failed back surgerys, and I will not let them operate again.
Small update today, glued the launch tube in place and added the rear stabilizers and they will go up and down. My rocket parts should be here later today or tomorrow

I am going to have to add a stifiner to the rams as they sag a little.
Have a good evening
Jim
heliman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 702 posts
Armorama: 604 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 19, 2012 - 12:33 PM UTC
keep up the great work Jim..very interesting build ! Hopefully I can make room soon for a project like this!

watching this build is encouraging me to re start the DML Scud....winters coming!
Teaker11
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, December 20, 2012 - 11:12 AM UTC
Hi all
Got the rocket parts today, I bought a Estes Designer kit so I have plenty of parts. I need to check with my friends
from Russian for the correct dimensions, but you get the idea. and I think its neat'

Just dow to about 20 parts left and then the cabeling begines
Jim
Teaker11
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, December 20, 2012 - 01:57 PM UTC
Evengy
I have a favor to ask, do you have the deminsions for the rocket, and measurments where the tapers start from the first stage to the end of the 1st stage?
Thanks
Jim
Dzhaks
Visit this Community
Voronezh, Russia
Posted: Friday, December 21, 2012 - 12:29 AM UTC
Hi, Jim!!! I had a lot of work this week and couldn't even paint german tanker for my Bergepanzer IV, not only write anything here... Now I have a little time to give another useful information. Firstly, about interior, do you remember, I promised to translate a new story from Michael? But it is no need to translate everything, so I'll write only description.

Commander had control panel for hydraulic mechanisms above and right from the front glass (it is shown on the video). Operator seated near the right wall. The commander had a radiostation R-123 from the right of himself ( http://russianarms.mybb.ru/viewtopic.php?id=1002 ) The hydraulic control panel is about 50x30 cm size. Farer to the back part of the machine he also had climate control of the container (now you see, that it couldn't be heated by the engine) and control panel of the energy system. The control panel of rocket launch was near the left wall, 120x60x40 cm size. All panels were coloured grey enamelium paint (they should have gloss surface). Driver had a periscope... That is all...

Rocket had 18 meters length and 1,6 meter diameter. Some photos from Michael's building...

First step engine:

Ask, if you will not understand something.

As for me, I have about 170$ now! Hope, I'll have 300 after New Year and will order my kit!
Dzhaks
Visit this Community
Voronezh, Russia
Posted: Friday, December 21, 2012 - 12:35 AM UTC
More photos

Second stage engine:

Head of this rocket:

http://s3.uploads.ru/LwNRP.jpg
grunt136mike
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,896 posts
Armorama: 1,858 posts
Posted: Friday, December 21, 2012 - 03:00 PM UTC
Greetings All;
Congrats,- To all for this FANTASTIC JOB
And esp, too Evgny for giving us the Great Info, !!
Jim;- Your Work is truly OUTSTANDING, Keep it Going.

PAIN IS ONLY WEAKNESS LEAVING THE BODY.

SEMPER FI; MIKE.
Teaker11
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, December 22, 2012 - 11:07 AM UTC
Thanks all or the comments, but I have run into a stoping point and not sure how to proceed. the problem is how were the cables that run up the side of the launch tube connected at the base of the launcher, do they stay connected when the launcher raises if so what happens to the cables when the launcher is lowered. I also had to redo the pistons makeing the frst one brass so that I can solder lines to it.

One good picture of the launch tube raised looking down into the launcher
Jim