Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Waiting for a new Deuce and a Half
TomO
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 23 posts
Armorama: 21 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 31, 2014 - 03:13 AM UTC
Does anyone have an ADV Azimut #35116 1:35 GMC 6x6 WWII M27 Bomb Service Truck Resin Conversion Kit that you would be willing to sell.

Tom Owens
[email protected]
27-1025
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,281 posts
Armorama: 1,222 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 31, 2014 - 03:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have been working on (Kit Bashing & Scratch Building) an extensive US Motor Pool for some time now. But I get tired of choping frames and stealing closed cabs from old Italeri trucks (though they do stand up well when paired with the new high quality Tamiya chassis and load box.

So far I have:
- Open cab water truck
- Closed cab standard CCKW with gun ring
- Closed Cab Army Air Corps Flightline fuel truck with 2-axle trailer
- Cab Over Engine CCKW (Soft Top)
- 1 1/4 ton 2-axle Closed Cab Chevy
- 1 1/4 ton 2-axle Open Cab Chevy Semi-tractor (With 4 ton scratch built trailer)
- CCKW conversion to light British RR locomotive

Working on:
- CCKW Closed Cab fire truck
- 1 1/4 ton Chevy Closed Cab fire truck
- Single axle 1200 gal. fuel semi-trailer

the Chassis Man

Have to confess that this thread escaped my attention but you have one really impressive collection of deuce & halfs.
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 9,465 posts
Armorama: 8,695 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 31, 2014 - 02:19 PM UTC
Thanks very much Chris! I have made some mistakes alone the way but this journey has taught me quite a lot in return; part history lesson and part engineering experience.

Best Regards

Mike
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 31, 2014 - 03:18 PM UTC
A bit more accomplished on the Diamond T wrecker last night. As you can see I also purchased the cargo truck and swapped the hard cab over to the wrecker.

165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Tuesday, August 05, 2014 - 12:57 AM UTC
Early test shots of the new HobbyBoss CCKW fuel truck at:

http://ipmsphilippines.com/test-shots/testshot-hobbyboss-135th-gmc-cckw-fuel-tanker-truck/

(Photo from IPMS website)
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Tuesday, August 05, 2014 - 01:12 AM UTC
Motor pool inventory update:

I have been working on (Kit Bashing & Scratch Building) an extensive US Motor Pool for some time now.

So far I have:
- Open cab water truck
- Cab Over Engine long bed CCKW (Soft Top)
- 1 1/2 ton 2-axle Closed Cab Chevy
- 1 1/2 ton 2-axle Open Cab Chevy Semi-tractor (With 4 ton scratch built trailer)
- Ford Jeep
- Bantam Jeep
- Dragon Wagon tractor and trailer
- Studebaker Deuce and Half cargo truck
- Weapons Carrier
- Ben Hur trailer (scratch built)
- Mack NO 7 1/2 ton cargo/tractor (scratch built)

Working on:
- 1 1/2 ton, 2 axle, Chevy Closed Cab fire truck
- Closed Cab Army Air Corps Flightline fuel truck with single axle trailer
- Diamond T, 4 ton wrecker
- Diamond T, 4 ton cargo truck (or dump truck - don't know as have not decided yet)

the Chassis Man
jon_a_its
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,336 posts
Armorama: 1,137 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 05, 2014 - 01:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have been working on (Kit Bashing & Scratch Building) an extensive US Motor Pool for some time now.

So far I have:
- Open cab water truck
- Cab Over Engine long bed CCKW (Soft Top)
- 1 1/2 ton 2-axle Open Cab Chevy Semi-tractor (With 4 ton scratch built trailer)
- Ford Jeep
- Bantam Jeep
- Dragon Wagon tractor and trailer
- Studebaker Deuce and Half cargo truck
- Weapons Carrier
- Ben Hur trailer (scratch built)
- Mack NO 7 1/2 ton cargo/tractor (scratch built)

Working on:
- 1 1/2 ton, 2 axle, Chevy Closed Cab fire truck
- Closed Cab Army Air Corps Flightline fuel truck with single axle trailer
- Diamond T, 4 ton wrecker
- Diamond T, 4 ton cargo truck (or dump truck - don't know as have not decided yet)

the Chassis Man

Show me then?

got any pics?
or plans, esp., esp
& - Ben Hur trailer?
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Tuesday, August 05, 2014 - 08:56 AM UTC
Eh, Jon, just start on page 1 of this thread and you will see most all of them. That is why I started all this was to hopefully promote hobby manufactures to create more US vehicles as well as to interest modelers in general to create more kit- bashed US variants.
highway70
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 322 posts
Armorama: 267 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 05, 2014 - 08:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

the Chassis Man

If you ar referring to the standard 1-1/2 ton Chevy that looks like a shortened deuce and a half, pictures are as scarce as hens teeth.

While an Ordinance Manual from the period says "Present military characteristics call for the U. S . Army standard open type cab ...." I have seen very few references to open cab versions and all those references say that none were ever made with open cabs.
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Tuesday, August 05, 2014 - 10:28 PM UTC
That is correct. David Doyle set me straight on that. Also previously stated in this thread. The open cab semi tractor is an error - they never existed. However standard 3 axle CCKW chassis semi tractors with open cabs did exist!
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Friday, August 08, 2014 - 12:23 PM UTC
Check out eBay - TWO 1 1/2 ton Chevy Auger Trucks up for sale!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-/281403339584?roken=cUgayN
DocEvan
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 180 posts
Armorama: 180 posts
Posted: Friday, August 08, 2014 - 03:11 PM UTC
HI all,
There's something very, very wrong with the cab. It looks, well, squashed. The front window pillars are too vertical. If you take a look at the test shots of the doors on the kit, or the built-up at the hobby show, you can better see the cab inaccuracies.

This is too bad, because after just finishing the Hobby Boss White 666, I love this company! I have the Tamiya deuce kit with the CMK fuel tanker partially completed, and was holding off for the HB fuel tanker. Hopefully, they'll fix that cab!
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 09, 2014 - 04:23 AM UTC
I noticed what looked like a crunched cab in the spru photos and had hoped it was just a photo distortion. (See photo above) Have not had the chance to get my hands on the kit yet.

Also in the spru photos look at the profile of the cab doors. Look how the forward edge of the doors slants to the front of the vehicle as it goes down. That is definately wrong! That would cause the doors to "gull wing out" slightly as they swing open. This just is not right!

Too bad if all the molds are this way. Looks like we will once again have to rely on the Italeri water tank truck cab to correct this problem. Glad Italeri re-issued the model!
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 16, 2014 - 11:03 AM UTC
Darren Baker takes a first look at the new 750 gal. fuel tanker CCKW from HobbyBoss:

http://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/225302
armyguy
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 262 posts
Armorama: 150 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 17, 2014 - 04:30 AM UTC
Do you get both cabs with Hobby Boss's fuel tanker.
In the early test shots posted by 165thspc on the spru with the fenders you see open cab sides ,dash and windshield. In the photo's in Darren Baker's review they are missing. There are big empty spots on the spru with the fenders.
On the subject about the shape of the doors and cab. It's to late now. Does any one really think they will do any retooling now, maybe in five years or so.
It was mentioned about bows and tarp to make the fuel tanker look like a cargo truck, that would make for an interesting build. I'm sure some one has a picture or two to share of this set up.
Dave M
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Sunday, August 17, 2014 - 05:40 AM UTC
I wondered the exact same thing!

In the earliest sprue shots from these folks there was definitely both a closed and open cab included in the kit.

Now however, you will note that the new sprue shots have A LOT of large voids all thru them where clearly the open cab has been deleted. It would have been an interesting concept to offer both in the same kit!

On another front; I have my doubts about that enclosed cab. The door looks too narrow and the back corner of the cab body seems to have too large a radius. Need to reduce that radius and lengthen the width of the door to make it right.

If I build this model I am already planning on POSSIBLY substituting the older Italeri cab!

As to the rest you are going to have to check with Darren over on his review blog at the provided link to find the answers.
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Monday, August 18, 2014 - 11:19 AM UTC
I am truly sorry to be the bearer of bad news as I have been looking forward to this HobbyBoss release with great excitement but . . .

First, I took the best 90 degree profile photo of an original WWII CCKW cab that I could find online. I then lifted a passenger side door from one of the model manufacture's own sprue photos and overlayed the two.

I uniformly scaled the photo of the plastic model door image until the distance from the lower left corner of the door straight up to the beltline of both doors was the same.

Draw your own conclusions.

p.s. The plastic door in the photo does NOT go all the way to the bottom of the cab because the edge of the cab floorboard forms the bottom lip of the cab as seen on both the model and the real thing.
DocEvan
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 180 posts
Armorama: 180 posts
Posted: Monday, August 18, 2014 - 02:01 PM UTC
Thanks again, Mike, for providing evidence. I guess I'll just finish my CMK resin kit (after my DT 969 wrecker first!)
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Monday, August 18, 2014 - 02:38 PM UTC
If you are like me you probably have a number of Tamiya open top cabs laying around. Chances are one would drop right onto the HobbyBoss kit and you will end up with a much nicer fuel truck! (That CMK conversion is a real dog, sorry to say.)

You could also try one of the old Italeri enclosed cabs. I still think their mold quality holds up against today's offerings OR you could pick up a resin after-market enclosed cab as offered by Scale-Link in th UK.
armyguy
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Monday, August 18, 2014 - 02:58 PM UTC
To bad about Hobby Boss closed cab. Maybe they can block off the closed cab parts and open up the open cab parts on the molds. About the molds do you think they could be reworked to fix the doors and cab.
The rest of the kit seem pretty good and there's all ways Italeri's closed cab to fall back on.
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Monday, August 18, 2014 - 09:20 PM UTC
I got a different result with the same image.
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Monday, August 18, 2014 - 11:01 PM UTC
Sorry but you have run your door all the way to the bottom of the cab and it does not do that. There is a horizontal floor molding below the door on the CCKW and on the model.

Then you have run your door too far up and covered up the drip strip above the door.

In other words in your photo you have made your door taller than it should be so your door also then appears wider than it should be which then minimizes the mistake made by HobbyBoss.

The marketplace will decide for themselves but I stand by my statements connected to the first photo.
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Tuesday, August 19, 2014 - 01:53 AM UTC
Should anyone else like to try the same experiment here are two raw photos to work with:

165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Tuesday, August 19, 2014 - 02:06 AM UTC
From the time I first saw the initial sprue shots of the tanker truck I felt there was a problem here with the cab. I hoped I was mistaken or that the photos were somehow distorted.

But now I think not.

The kit looks first rate in every other way. Those appear to be the best set of fuel tanks and side storage boxes ever offered to the hobby market. I hope HobbyBoss makes the fuel tanks available seperately as a detail set. The fuel tanks were used often on their own in fuel dumps and depots.

The CCKW purest like myself will have to substitute a different cab but for the general modeler, I feel this kit will be a welcome addition.
armyguy
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Monday, September 01, 2014 - 12:41 PM UTC
OK Hobby Boss messed up, isn't the first time and won't be the last that a manufacturer did not do their home work.Good thing Italeri reissued their water tanker bad part is you have to buy two kits to make on truck.
This thread has has sparked my interest in the Deuce and a Half and kit bashing. This winter going to try my hand at a SWB.
The four manufacturer's have taken some heat from time to time on this thread. Tamiya seems to be the leader. I wish they would on their Jeep kit just put a new decal sheet in it, simple request right. Will they do any thing on their 2 1/2 ton I doubt it. Hobby Boss needs to double check their measurements. Heller you don't hear much about. Italeri seems to be the golden boy, they give the modeler three versions they really should release a two in one kit, put both cabs in one box.
Some one suggested Bronco releasing a Deuce have you ever looked at on of their Jeep kits or read a thread of some one building one, scary. It would be a super kit nothing negative about it other than so many *$#%^ small parts.