Campaigns: Completed Campaigns
Campaigns that are completed should be grouped here.
Hosted by Richard S.
Canadian Forces Campaign
SgtRam
Staff MemberContributing Writer
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,971 posts
Armorama: 2,859 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 03, 2013 - 02:05 AM UTC
Well here is my entry complete, was a little rushed, not totally happy with it, but will teach me to give things more time.

bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 03, 2013 - 08:23 AM UTC
Very nice build Kevin.
f1matt
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 1,021 posts
Armorama: 805 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 03, 2013 - 08:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Some more pictures of the LAV III. Most of the gear has been added. I still have to figure out to represent the ratchet strap that secure the spare wheel in its cage, add some more dust and I could call this one done.

I found some represented in PE. They look quite nice. I'm saving them for a future Abrams. I'll hunt around for them and let you know who makes em.

matt
steph2102
Visit this Community
Isere, France
KitMaker: 735 posts
Armorama: 606 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 03, 2013 - 08:44 AM UTC
hello,
Kevin very nice finish, great job.
steph
JScicluna
Visit this Community
Tasmania, Australia
KitMaker: 77 posts
Armorama: 52 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 03, 2013 - 11:51 AM UTC
Hi.

I am wondering if I could join later. I have this P51D Mustang which I started this in July and then kinda just stopped and concentrated on other models. As you can see I have only painted the interior and connected the fuselage although it will need some putty to correct some holes and most of the parts are still attached to the sprue.

Would this be acceptable as the Canadian theme will be in the painting/weathering and decals? I haven't got any specific Canadian decals and would also have to get those before the deadline. Just want to know before I buy any online. Any suggestions online?

If not that's ok too but I'd like to smash this one before the end of the month.

Thanks
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 03, 2013 - 11:50 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I found some represented in PE. They look quite nice. I'm saving them for a future Abrams. I'll hunt around for them and let you know who makes em.

matt

Thanks for this Matt. In between, I decided to go with the resin ones from Djiti Production.
I know that a couple of PE companies are making sets but I only remember CSM if I'm correct.

Olivier
gcdavidson
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,698 posts
Armorama: 1,563 posts
Posted: Monday, November 04, 2013 - 05:09 AM UTC
Leading Edge make at least 2 sets of 1/72 RCAF mustang decal sheets.
JScicluna
Visit this Community
Tasmania, Australia
Posted: Monday, November 04, 2013 - 07:01 AM UTC
Looks like I'm in. Thanks Graeme. I've just ordered a set from Canada and will be making a post ww2 squadron. I was planning on a ww2 era plane however I like the look of the maple leaf in the middle and the ww2 ones all appear to have theRAf circles.

Fingers crossed the decals arrive and I finish in time!
Shermania
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 537 posts
Armorama: 531 posts
Posted: Monday, November 04, 2013 - 01:51 PM UTC
I've decided to give the Centurion a try. I did a little bit of research on this Modelcraft kit and it turns out it is a copy of a copy. The original was the Tamiya released in 1972! Then at some point Academy released it under their name and then eventually the Canadian company Modelcraft rereleased it sometime in the late 1990s early 2000s. So essentially it is a 42 year old kit. That explains the detail and fit issues. It doesn't help that I'm in a hurry to finish here or that I have no Centurion references or know next to nothing about the Centurion.

First the proof of life:

now some progress pics:

Funny how the instructions have you start with the turret. I always start with the turret anyway, always have going back to my first tank in the late 1970s. I'm going to have more bench time tonight and this one is moving fast.
Shermania
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, November 04, 2013 - 01:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Well here is my entry complete, was a little rushed, not totally happy with it, but will teach me to give things more time.

Kevin,

Beautiful work , love that gray on charcoal look. I'll stick to tanks as airplanes our outside my skill set. IMO they are much harder to build and finish than tanks.
Youngun
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 587 posts
Armorama: 550 posts
Posted: Monday, November 04, 2013 - 03:48 PM UTC
@Kevin, that sure is one beautiful looking tracker. I think you're being alittle hard on yourself. It is quite an outstanding build.

@James, the mustang in RCAF livery would be very welcome to this campaign. I haven't seen to many done up in RCAF markings.

@Pedro, I look forward to seeing your work on the Cent. I've seen a few of your sherman builds and they are quite outstanding.

veryone else so far there are 4 completed builds in the Gallery and 38 members enlisted in the campaign. Lets get those builds going as there's less then 1 month left to go.

Link to the gallery
https://gallery.kitmaker.net/showgallery.php/cat/28516
Shermania
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, November 05, 2013 - 04:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

@Kevin, that sure is one beautiful looking tracker. I think you're being alittle hard on yourself. It is quite an outstanding build.

@James, the mustang in RCAF livery would be very welcome to this campaign. I haven't seen to many done up in RCAF markings.

@Pedro, I look forward to seeing your work on the Cent. I've seen a few of your sherman builds and they are quite outstanding.

veryone else so far there are 4 completed builds in the Gallery and 38 members enlisted in the campaign. Lets get those builds going as there's less then 1 month left to go.

Link to the gallery
https://gallery.kitmaker.net/showgallery.php/cat/28516

thanks Alex, I was able to finish the build last night as once the turret is done, there just isn't much left to do on the upper or lower hull. The wheels probably took the most time and then I just slapped it together. It looks like a centurion when it's all together. I have no idea how accurate this kit is but I have to imagine it was probably considered a real nice kit in 1972. In the hands of a good modeler with Centurion know how, extensive AM, and scratch building, it could probably still be built into something really nice. Sadly for this poor fellow he fell into my hands.

The first thing that really strikes me about this kit is the SIZE, it is massive compared to my Shermans. That could be an indication that perhaps it is really 1/32 scale or that the Centurion is just really that much larger than a Sherman, not sure.

Here are the photos;

I will be adding primer today and was hoping for some input on what Tamiya paints I need to combine to paint this tank correctly, either the regular olive color or some of the fancy camo schemes on the armored acorn site. TIA for the help.
Shermania
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, November 05, 2013 - 03:45 PM UTC
I decided to go with an ultra cool 4 tone scheme. My AB has been acting up again and this time I think I'll have to just dole out the cash and get a new one

so here goes my first free hand paint job since like 1987. And even though I'm using Tamiya paints, which are not designed for brush work and all I have cause I always airbrush. I've been pleasantly surprised so far and hopefully this turns out okay.

here are a couple of pics;

the colors look a little flatter and not as dark in person, the lighting is really bad for photography in my garage/man cave.
Blackstoat
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 568 posts
Armorama: 561 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 06, 2013 - 05:25 AM UTC
Wish there was time to join in this campaign. I would've loved to do a Dieppe Churchill.

Oh well, keep up the quality work
Jessie_C
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
Armorama: 47 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 06, 2013 - 05:31 PM UTC
Monogram neglected to give us the position light in the spine just aft of the cockpit so I drilled a hole

and glued in a piece of the clear sprue

While waiting for that to dry, I filled in the gaping trenches in the tip tank fins

Once the light is solidly glued in, I'll sand and polish it to match the shape of the spine.
Youngun
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, November 11, 2013 - 06:06 AM UTC
Lest We Forget, the over 2.2 million Canadians who have served in the Canadian Forces and the close to 115,000 soldiers who have died in service since the First World War
Removed by original poster on 11/17/13 - 05:36:18 (GMT).
2002hummer
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 812 posts
Armorama: 110 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 16, 2013 - 06:02 PM UTC
Here are more pictures of my 144 scale Miniwings Avro CF100 Canuck build. Its my first resin kit and my second build in many years
ColinEdm
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,355 posts
Armorama: 1,229 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 17, 2013 - 10:19 AM UTC
Man, some beautiful builds here, Pedro I love your Centurion, and some sweet LAV's guys.
SgtRam
Staff MemberContributing Writer
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,971 posts
Armorama: 2,859 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 17, 2013 - 10:31 AM UTC
@Pedro - have to concur, beautiful job on the Centurion.
Mcleod
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,028 posts
Armorama: 45 posts
Posted: Monday, November 18, 2013 - 05:23 AM UTC
Hi. Well, I do believe I'll finish my Airfix Typhoon before the campaigns end; if all goes well.
I used blue tack and tracing paper to mask for the camo scheme. The next time, I'll stick with wax paper instead of the tracing, as it cuts easier.

I did the camo in 2 sections, front and rear. As you can see, the rear half is better done. This is due to using too low a air pressure when spraying the front. A good lesson learned.

Youngun
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, November 18, 2013 - 07:51 AM UTC
@Ben the camo scheme is looking good.
I went home for the weekend and managed to weather and decal the Cougar. May or may not have went a little overboard on the dust, but I envisioned it as being at Wainwright during a long exercise.

Jessie_C
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
Armorama: 47 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 19, 2013 - 01:23 PM UTC
The Starfighter has its antenna housing aft of the cockpit painted

The fit of the canopy was less than precise, so a little filler is hardening around the edges.
JScicluna
Visit this Community
Tasmania, Australia
Posted: Thursday, November 21, 2013 - 11:03 PM UTC
Finally got the decals in the mail. They seem quite nice. I have finished putting the plane together and will next prime it. I'm cutting it fine.

Question - Does anyone know if I spray alclad over Vallejo primer and then seal it with micro gloss if I will have any issues? I read on another forum some issues with sealing alclad.

2002hummer
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 812 posts
Armorama: 110 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 24, 2013 - 07:22 AM UTC
Here's my finished build,an Avro CF100 Canuck. One of Canada's own designs. I am hesitant to be included in the build as it is not as detailed as most of the builds. Next build I will pick a larger scale to be able to detail it better.

I would appreciate any constructive criticism from fellow model builders as I still am a newbe.