Campaigns: Completed Campaigns
Campaigns that are completed should be grouped here.
Hosted by Richard S.
Steel Wheels Campaign
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 11, 2014 - 03:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Mike cool pictures there which one are you going to build for this campaign

Alex,

I have a Trumpeter German Army Railway Gondola that I was hoping to flak-out into a small diorama setting but I think I've run out of time for this campaign — got some other projects that need to get done.

—mike
Removed by original poster on 10/12/14 - 13:01:10 (GMT).
pablo_g
Visit this Community
Wojewodztwo Slaskie, Poland
KitMaker: 529 posts
Armorama: 500 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 12, 2014 - 01:07 AM UTC
Hello Gentlemen,
You could say that I finished at the end of my locomotive. I am pleased with them, judge yourself the end result. Enjoy watching.
Od Od Od Od Od Od Od Od Od Od Od Od Od Od Od Od Od Od Od Od Od Od Od Od Od Od

Paweł
ltb073
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,662 posts
Armorama: 3,078 posts
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2014 - 07:13 AM UTC
Paweł Great looking locomotives do you plan on putting them in a diorama later on or just have them sit as is
Great job either way
Im still making slow progress with my build
pablo_g
Visit this Community
Wojewodztwo Slaskie, Poland
KitMaker: 529 posts
Armorama: 500 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 14, 2014 - 10:26 AM UTC
Hi Sal,
Thanks for the kind words. So I'm going to do a little vignettes for each locomotive separately, I just need to buy gravel under the tracks. I just hope I have time until the end of the campaign. But generally can be considered finished locomotive.

Paweł
North4003
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 960 posts
Armorama: 95 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 15, 2014 - 12:48 PM UTC
Some very nice modeling going on. Will be posting some photos of my narrow gauge O scale wagon in the future.
eMan
Visit this Community
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
KitMaker: 1,182 posts
Armorama: 665 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 26, 2014 - 01:58 PM UTC
Progress updating.

WARDUKWNZ
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,716 posts
Armorama: 1,638 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 26, 2014 - 09:55 PM UTC
Just realised that i havent put up any prestart pics so iam about the fix that wee issue now .

Build pics will show up very very soon as its not going to take long to cut this and cut that and hit this part with a hammer until it fits .

Phill
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,128 posts
Armorama: 2,959 posts
Posted: Monday, October 27, 2014 - 02:20 AM UTC
Phil:

TWO at once! Wow! You have WAAAAAY more energy and / or time than I!

Are these 2 kitties in the right place (campaign)? Where's the STEEL (wheels)? Are you transplanting some steelies from another kitty kit?

Bob
WARDUKWNZ
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Monday, October 27, 2014 - 09:11 AM UTC
lol Bob ,,, well its a case of two into one here ..i am building a steel wheeled Panther ARV ,,the ARV is there only for its parts ,so is this the Dragon kit come to think of it

As i said to Sal ,,its kinda a what if / very possible ,,the Germans would have built one given if the war had gone on longer,,so i am beating them to it

Phill
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,128 posts
Armorama: 2,959 posts
Posted: Monday, October 27, 2014 - 12:11 PM UTC
OK, Phil, I'll bite...

By "Two into one" are we talking one of those super-rare end-of-war experimental double-hulled Panthers? I think I've seen a smudgy photo of this contraption somewhere... Or maybe it's the "wide-track" "SchneePanther" with 64 wheels!

Jist funnin' Pard!

Bob
ltb073
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, October 27, 2014 - 01:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

As i said to Sal ,,its kinda a what if / very possible ,,the Germans would have built one given if the war had gone on longer,,so i am beating them to it

Phill

Yes "What ifs" are allowed as long as those rubber rimed wheels of that Bergepanther don't wind up on the build in the campaign gallery photo
By the way I have been making some progress on my build as well it is very near to completion
WARDUKWNZ
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Monday, October 27, 2014 - 01:46 PM UTC
Just funnin huh Bob ??? mate i like where your mind is going that does sound like something for another What if campaign
Its going to be a steel wheeled SDKFz 179 BergePanther .

Dont worry Sal ,,, its steelwheels all the way on this puppy and so far its starting to look pretty good,,most of the chassis is done ,,drivers area is in place as is the fire walls for the winch compartment ..I am about to start cutting off the molded on cable on the winch drums so i can replace them with cord .
It will look that same as the rubber wheeled version yet different

Phill
KoSprueOne
Visit this Community
Myanmar
KitMaker: 4,011 posts
Armorama: 1,498 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 02, 2014 - 12:08 PM UTC
Nice showcase shots, Pawel

Progress continues on the "Krasnaja Zvezda"
https://archive.kitmaker.net/forums/226924&page=1

I started the railroad bed to align the wheels on to the trucks correctly

eMan
Visit this Community
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
Posted: Sunday, November 02, 2014 - 02:35 PM UTC
Progress update, started to airbrush the panther.

ltb073
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, November 02, 2014 - 02:43 PM UTC
Nice to see some progress here guys
Not much time left for this campaign and Im finally am gonna call my project finished
Added some cargo to he platform and a MG crew on the other side of the Tribewagen
 photo P1090143.jpg
 photo P1090144.jpg
 photo P1090142.jpg
Now to try and find a good picture for the gallery
KoSprueOne
Visit this Community
Myanmar
Posted: Tuesday, November 04, 2014 - 03:29 PM UTC
ltb073 - The weathering of that platform looks good and grimy.

I decided to make the Draisine an optional static OOB model and an HO scale rolling stock compatible
http://railroadmodeling.kitmaker.net/forums/226924&page=1#1921943

WARDUKWNZ
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Thursday, November 06, 2014 - 03:57 PM UTC
Made some head way on my Panther ARV ... i decided to add some detail to the driver and radio operators compartments ..normal italeri here ..so added a few things to make it look more like its meant to but not exact as alot of this detail wont be seen like the drivers foot peddles and the like .the steering wheel is back on now to which is not showin in the pics ..and specking of pics ..here are some .

As you can see i did the normal thing with the winch ..replaced the crappy plastic cable with cord ..much better looking now .
Going to finish putting all the rest of the parts on the winch this evening and maybe under coat the interior a bit .

Phill
eMan
Visit this Community
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
Posted: Tuesday, November 11, 2014 - 11:55 AM UTC
More update pics, steel wheel panther ready to weathering.

From Panther G Steel Wheel Version" BORDER="0">
eMan
Visit this Community
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
Posted: Monday, November 17, 2014 - 08:16 AM UTC
Steel Wheel Panther finished.

Bluestab
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,160 posts
Armorama: 1,906 posts
Posted: Monday, November 17, 2014 - 11:34 AM UTC
Phill, nice bergepanther winch. I built that kit in the 90s OOB and the winch really was the weakest part of it. If I ever get around to building it again, I'll definitely spend the extra time in the winch area.

I'll be adding a second kit to this campaign...a Trumpeter E-50. I was going to build it for another campaign but I think I'll add it here as a second submission. The armored railcar was not really worth a ribbon, especially without the tracks. I figure adding the E-50 will even things out.

I actually started it last week and have been snapping progress pictures. I'm building it anyway...might as well share.
ltb073
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, November 17, 2014 - 09:53 PM UTC
Some good work showing up in the home stretch less than 2 weeks left to this campaign wraps up and we have 6 finished builds out of the 32 enlistees
I would like to see those started builds completed so does anyone think that they will need more time if so how much more
Bluestab
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, November 18, 2014 - 07:27 AM UTC
Sal, I should be good on the end date. One of the reasons I waited before posting anything was me wanting to make sure I could finish the E50 before the end of the month, especially with Thanksgiving coming up.

Speaking of showing work...

Starter picture showing the kit box contents. It's Trumpeter's E-50 tank in 1/35 scale.

Parts for the suspension sub-assemblies. I skipped taking a picture of the drive sprockets in pieces.

Assembled suspension assemblies, drive sprockets, and idler wheels.

Suspension assemblies added to the lower hull. Added the few trim pieces.

Rear plate. Like most of the kit it's pretty straightforward. They replicate the exhaust splitters with PE. They go on quite easily and look quite nice. I left the jack off until after paint. A few progress pictures on the rear.

Speaking of paint...pre-painted the lower hull and rear plate. Painted the steel road-wheels, drive sprockets, and idlers.

Road-wheels added. Make sure they are square. Any arms off line will really show.

Turret time. The instructions want you to go to the upper hull, but I jumped ahead to the turret. The turret is pretty straightforward. Trumpy really made it sturdy and it fit together well. The rear hatch is a little loose fitting. At this point you'll need to decide which gun you'll be using. You'll have to open some holes on the turret front plate for mounting and you'll use a different swivel/pivot mount.

The mount for gun option #2. The rear hatch is secured with tape because it kept opening. I figured it was begging to be knocked off.

Commander's cupola. Trumpy has provided clear periscopes. They fit in an inner ring that fits inside of the out housing. It's keyed so you really cannot put it in wrong.

Now for the gun. Pretty straightforward.

Gun assembled and mounted. The barrel needed a bit of clean-up.

Added details to the turret. I'm not sure what the PE piece on the rear was for....ash-tray holder maybe? The kit comes with a IR night-vision scope for the commander's cupola. I decided to leave it off and might use it for something else.

Front end details. I left the pioneer tools off for now. I'll paint those separate and add them after the hull is painted.

And the rear details. Again, tools left off.

Basic assembly done. It gives you an idea of how it'll look. I had planned to not use the side-skirts because they made it look pear-shaped. However, the tracks aren't that great. I'll be using them to hide them.

Pieces in the paint tray.

I decided to go with a winter scheme. I may add red-brown and/or green "striping". The primer and white are both on and the kit is drying in the other room. It's a bit cool outside so I may give it an extra day to dry. The pioneer tools have been "primed" with dark-dark gray and I may start painting them tomorrow.
KoSprueOne
Visit this Community
Myanmar
Posted: Saturday, November 22, 2014 - 08:14 AM UTC
Phill - Good idea replacing the cable

eMan - nice finish

Bluestab - A lot of fast work there. Planning on a winter scheme? I've never done this, have you? How will you approach this?

The Draisine continues . . .
https://archive.kitmaker.net/forums/226924&page=1

I wanted the 'study' look of the railroad bed on this build so I discarded the end parts (A2)X4 and instead glued in styrene sheet and putty to achieve flat ends

Bluestab
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, November 22, 2014 - 10:02 PM UTC
Thanks Ko.

It was a quick build....about two and a half weeks. I actually finished it last night. The kit goes together pretty well and there really isn't a lot to it.

I should have my final WIP pix for it up in the next few days.

For a winter paint scheme I start with a coat of white. Winter camo vehicles have the whitewash applied over the standard paint out in the field. So you have to remember that there's a whole other paintjob underneath. I "reverse dry-brush"; dry-brushing using the base coat underneath (ie. dark yellow, olive green, redbrown). Whitewash tends to have a short lifespan so it tends to wear off quickly. High traffic areas should wear through quickly. Snow can collect dirt and grime and when it accumulates on a vehicle, then melts, it should leave residue. I tend to overdo washes and drybrushing on white vehicles so the details show on photos. It's easy to do way too much.