Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Initial Tiger "Ausführung Afrika"
Byrden
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 2,233 posts
Armorama: 2,221 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 07, 2014 - 08:05 AM UTC
Antal;
Nice work on the welds.
This loader's hatch just won't give up, will it? That rod on the end of the curved arm; it didn't exist. What did you base it on?

David
ANT1969
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
KitMaker: 216 posts
Armorama: 216 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 08, 2014 - 02:16 AM UTC
I got it all. Thanks again.

Antal

Quoted Text

Photos sent in 12 emails! Hope you find them useful

Make sure they don't go in your spam folder buddy

Cheers

Andy

ANT1969
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
Posted: Wednesday, January 08, 2014 - 02:16 AM UTC
The Voyager instruction sheet showed it. Or it is wrong?
However, what holds the hatch in approximately vertical position, as it seems here?

(I thought this would be the role of this rod.)
Regards
Antal

Quoted Text

Antal;
Nice work on the welds.
This loader's hatch just won't give up, will it? That rod on the end of the curved arm; it didn't exist. What did you base it on?

David

Byrden
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Wednesday, January 08, 2014 - 04:03 AM UTC
Antal;

No, Voyager have it wrong, there was nothing at the end of the arm but a hole. Voyager and I are not collaborating.

This spring-loaded rod would lock the hatch vertical by going into the hole. Also, the long arm was a spring balance for the hatch, pushing on the arm.

David

Byrden
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Wednesday, January 08, 2014 - 10:02 AM UTC
Here's the arm on a Late Tiger with the thicker roof.

ANT1969
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
Posted: Wednesday, January 08, 2014 - 07:16 PM UTC
David, thanks for info and pics. I understand now.

Antal
ANT1969
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 01:22 AM UTC
Some progress with turret and Feifels. The loader's hatch is not yet glued.
I have some questions about painting. Which was the color of '111'? The simple Africa-brown or greenish brown?
And the DAK color it was painted over the factory panzer gray?

Antal

sltom44
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 15 posts
Armorama: 14 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 01:57 AM UTC
OK, first off I don't really give a [auto-censored] about your build job - these things have been analyzed to death in various periodicals and books, so you are in fact not doing anything spectacular or even new. All of you jack-offs going ga ga over it are ridiculous. The important question is: Where did you get camels in 1/35 scale??
Blackstoat
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 568 posts
Armorama: 561 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 02:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

OK, first off I don't really give a [auto-censored] about your build job - these things have been analyzed to death in various periodicals and books, so you are in fact not doing anything spectacular or even new. All of you jack-offs going ga ga over it are ridiculous. The important question is: Where did you get camels in 1/35 scale??

Lol - good luck finding your camels
Blackstoat
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 02:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have some questions about painting. Which was the color of '111'? The simple Africa-brown or greenish brown?

When I get around to doing mine I was going with dark yellow with light hairspray chipping to reveal panzer gray underneath. I thought about adding some green in there by tinting with oils, but I think from an aesthetic point of view a green/yellow/gray combination would be too weird. Besides as far as I can determine the "DAK Tigers were green" thing only seems to come from one source?

ANT1969
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 04:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hmmm. As for the camels: I did not do anything spectacular, just used the google. I recommend it also to you.
ANT1969
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 04:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

When I get around to doing mine I was going with dark yellow with light hairspray chipping to reveal panzer gray underneath. I thought about adding some green in there by tinting with oils, but I think from an aesthetic point of view a green/yellow/gray combination would be too weird. Besides as far as I can determine the "DAK Tigers were green" thing only seems to come from one source?

I want to use MM enamel panzer gray and Gunze H66 acrylic Sandy Brown, which is washed off on the edges to reveal panzer gray. The AK enamel filter will also modify the color.
Anyway I don't want too greenish tint.
Byrden
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 06:41 AM UTC
As far as I know, these Tigers of s.Pz.Abt. 501 were painted in the base colour sand yellow (RAL 8000) at the factory, and then almost fully overpainted with grey green (RAL7008) to suit the foliage in Tunisia. But it's very hard to see any patterns in the photos because they're usually all dusty.
They were not painted Dunkelgelb.
British troops described the Tigers as "green", and I think they saw what I described.

David
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 3,960 posts
Armorama: 3,579 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 06:58 AM UTC
When I built mine ,I painted it gray first added the numbers masked them to keep the gray inside the numbers and went with a dark green mix.. I was in contact with Gerry Chester who was there and he claims that he will never forget seeing green tigers.. He was very clear about it..he was very specific of the tint of green , and he was there.. That was enough for me.
For sure they were not all green but might there have been a few... I've often wondered if it was not just the effect of the dark yellow misted over the panzer gray that might have caused the green effect..
I do believe that the Tigers from the 504 came out of the factory in the African scheme...but these initial Tigers were probably gray.

Rick
Byrden
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 08:13 AM UTC
These Tigers were earmarked for s.Pz.Abt.501 during construction, and the battalion had been committed to Africa for months by the time they were painted. I don't think that grey would be used.

As for Dunkelgelb; it was introduced in February 1943. All of the Tigers we are talking about were delivered in 1942.

Here is one of the Tigers as delivered from the factory, clean and new. Doesn't look grey to me.

David

urumomo
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 675 posts
Armorama: 667 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 08:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

As far as I know, these Tigers of s.Pz.Abt. 501 were painted in the base colour sand yellow (RAL 8000) at the factory, and then almost fully overpainted with grey green (RAL7008) to suit the foliage in Tunisia. ..

David

This is very interesting .
Does this mean the tanks would have been better suited shipped grey ?
Keith
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 09:01 AM UTC
I meant dark yellow as in the colors used in Africa...geese David give me a break ...

I'm sure they knew what I meant ,..Sand Yellow then .. As for the gray you are probably right but I used the Osprey Tiger I book as a reference .. It was written by Jentz and Doyle ...I guess new info has come up since then but I went with what I had .

Rick
ANT1969
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 08:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

These Tigers were earmarked for s.Pz.Abt.501 during construction, and the battalion had been committed to Africa for months by the time they were painted. I don't think that grey would be used.

As for Dunkelgelb; it was introduced in February 1943. All of the Tigers we are talking about were delivered in 1942.

Here is one of the Tigers as delivered from the factory, clean and new. Doesn't look grey to me.

David

Of course, I meant the panzer gray as a base layer, not the visible color.
On the other hand I thought that the gray base paint gives to the surface a kind of dark (greenish?) tint.
Anyway I found an interesting picture on the net. What do you think?
http://www.abload.de/img/tiger121bre5b2.jpg

Antal
Byrden
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 10:27 PM UTC
I agree with the labelling. In fact there are several photos suggesting the big bin, Feifels, and maybe the exhaust shields and some other loose items were left in RAL 8000.
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Monday, January 13, 2014 - 03:06 AM UTC
wow ..I've never seen this picture before... That will make for a very interesting finish on your Tiger..very cool!

Rick
Blackstoat
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, January 14, 2014 - 12:07 PM UTC
Hiya

Sorry to keep talking colour, I realise this topic has been talked to death! I've yet to start my project, but for the first time I want a clear plan in mind rather than letting it develop during the build.

I'm looking at Tiger 121 and trying to get a decent match for Ral 7008. Unfortunately my paint of choice is Tamiya which doesn't appear to have a direct match for Ral 7008. (I realise if I switched to Testors for example I could get an exact match, but I don't want to start buying multiple brands any more than I already have).

Anyway, I'm seeing Tamiya XF-49 Khaki as a pretty good match, perhaps lightened with a little Buff? Am I miles off beam with this? I'm intending hairspray chipping to a base coat of XF-63 German Grey

My only concern is that Khaki does seem a little dark to keep the colour in scale? And if I'm honest Tamiya Khaki does appear a lot darker than almost every rendition of of DAK Tiger I've seen! But I guess that doesn't necessarily make it wrong.

My other thought was to paint it a basic dark yellow then tint it with multiple subtle enamel filters until I was happy with the tint. However I would have to do that after hairspray chipping and it would also tint the german grey - it could easily turn out to be a big mess that way.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Ant - are you doing 121 now?

Thanks for your help

Andy

Byrden
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Tuesday, January 14, 2014 - 08:15 PM UTC
The people at Bovington did a pretty good reconstruction of these colours; they had Doyle and Jentz to help.

There are plenty of photos around. RAL7008 is the green.

David
ANT1969
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
Posted: Tuesday, January 14, 2014 - 08:32 PM UTC
Rick: we'll see!

Andy: Now I don't want to buy RAL7008, rather I'm going to experiment with my existing paints: the earlier mentioned Gunze H66 Sandy Brown acrylic or MM Afrika Mustard enamel. Both are mixed with a little olive green. I don't know yet which one will be closer to RAL7008.
To present chipping I have a method: I "draw them" with Gunze Gundam Marker black color pen before the weathering.

"Ant - are you doing 121 now?"
No, I build the '111' as I said earlier. But if I want to be funny I would say both. Based on this pic for example.
I only linked the last picture of '121' because of the colors.
Antal
Byrden
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Tuesday, January 14, 2014 - 08:47 PM UTC
That photo is a fake, it consists of two photos blended together. Where was it published?

David
ANT1969
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
Posted: Tuesday, January 14, 2014 - 09:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

That photo is a fake, it consists of two photos blended together. Where was it published?

David

Oops! I didn't know that. Otherwise, I found the pic in this japanese book.
Antal