Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
Dragon OOB Pt. II
Nito74
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,386 posts
Armorama: 4,727 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 19, 2014 - 01:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

John,
Those Sherman tracks aren't as bad as you'd think. Given patience, I'd probably go with the T34 as well. It's a nice build.

Really ? Oh well, I just put it back into the Dragon pile, he will be back at the bench sooner or later.
Now I already opened the T-34...
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,128 posts
Armorama: 2,959 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 19, 2014 - 01:38 PM UTC
Oh, come on, John! What's with letting a few.... OK, 86 (per side I'll suppose ) little track widgets get to you???

Dang! But those DO look really TEDIOUS! And sadly not mindless enough to do during a movie or something! I'll not be going to one of those kits any time soon

And now you are heading off to that T34/76 German Army kit. GOOD choice, I think... THAT one calls me, too!

So... are you thinking up a paint-scheme yet? I really may actually jump onto that one - I've got to choose SOMETHING from the pile of plastic Dragons and that kit does look nice (and maybe has fewer pieces than the Pz. III I keep looking at... ). So I should perhaps at least think of a different scheme then yours if I do go there!

Cheers!

Bob
Bluestab
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,160 posts
Armorama: 1,906 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 19, 2014 - 02:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

John,
Those Sherman tracks aren't as bad as you'd think. Given patience, I'd probably go with the T34 as well. It's a nice build.

Really ? Oh well, I just put it back into the Dragon pile, he will be back at the bench sooner or later.
Now I already opened the T-34...

The trick is to just make sure you have something that can get a good grip on the guide-teeth so you can place them. The guide-teeth may be the least of that kit's problems. Lots of fit issues, DS tracks, suspension, DS tracks, and the tracks are actually too long if my memory is correct.

The T34 is a good one...and you cannot go wrong with it.
Nito74
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Tuesday, August 19, 2014 - 11:51 PM UTC
@Alex

Yes, they are too long, next to the little photo I posted there's a scheme on where to cut those tracks.
Lots of fit issues... oh damn. Bottom of the Dragon pile for sure. mmmhhh... Maybe a wrecked trackless M50 little dio ?

@Bob

Quoted Text

Dang! But those DO look really TEDIOUS!

I know. With a 12/2014 deadline.. I would need a 2 yr Campaign
About the T-34 paint scheme I'm going for a dark green based with a heavy white winter camo

panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 20, 2014 - 02:36 AM UTC
@John;

So... white over dark green. Hmmmmm. OK, maybe I'll avoid that.

Are you going to build it with, or without that Pz III cupola? The kit contains all the parts to do the much more historically-correct original Russian roof on the turret... The cupola looks cool but was maybe actually a "one-off" for the T34/76 mod 1941.... Apparently quite a few were captured and fixed up by the Germans, but the cupola addition mostly appeared on later "beutes" such as mod. 1942 and mod. 1943 34s. So IF you are going with the cupola look... I could legit build OOTB one of the other (large majority of ) 34 mod. 1941 beutes... Or vice-versa!

Bob
Nito74
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Wednesday, August 20, 2014 - 10:32 AM UTC
Good question Bob !
I don't know yet, I'll check the version / markings available with the kit to see if it's an early or late version first.
I wanted to start the wheels thos week but I ran out of glue.
Went to my LHS... closed for holidays...
There were about 4 LHS near by, with this financial crisis just one survived, and they're on summer holidays... So this week I'll just stare at the plastic
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 20, 2014 - 12:05 PM UTC
@John;

I'm pretty sure that the kit in our eye is actually the T-34/76 mod 1941 kit 6205, with an added roof part and that cupola and a metal barrel and a sprue of German tools and OVM and some German-type fender boxes... It IS, I'm pretty sure, supposed to represent a mod. 1941 tank... IF that is what you are thinking of when you wrote "early or late version"...

I'm really talking myself into building it - as the beute without cupola... I want to leave shelf-space and modeling time (even if only in my wilder dreams ) for to do that CyberHobby T-34/76 beute based on the 1942 tanks with some steel wheels - which more commonly had the added cupola. Of course there is now another beute T-34 kit out from Dragon, replete with the "RommelKisten" turret box and some small schurzen, I think...

Wow. Cement-free and limited to simply staring at the stuff! What a bummer! A modeler's life has its moments!

Bob
Bluestab
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, August 20, 2014 - 12:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

@Alex
Maybe a wrecked trackless M50 little dio ?

Maybe we need a wrecked tank campaign.
Nito74
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Wednesday, August 20, 2014 - 01:39 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm pretty sure that the kit in our eye is actually the T-34/76 mod 1941 kit 6205,

You're right on, that's the one !
Just checked the box, 2 unidentified marking w/PzIII cupola

Same based dark green with Winter Camo.
Maybe I'll do a heavy weathered, muddy and dirty T-34.
And yes I'll go for the PzIII turret cupola.
@:) -- with a Panther F turret it would look cool too ... for a What If Campaign..

Quoted Text

Wow. Cement-free and limited to simply staring at the stuff! What a bummer! A modeler's life has its moments!

I was just being lazy... with so many builds I have plenty of stuff to work on with things that don't require glue... cleanin up parts, painintg tools and ammo boxes, masking...

Nito74
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Wednesday, August 20, 2014 - 01:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Damm.. now I have to buy an engine set and a turret interior

That's a good idea Alex !! is that a clever hint with a huge neon sign ?
Bluestab
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, August 20, 2014 - 05:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Damm.. now I have to buy an engine set and a turret interior
That's a good idea Alex !! is that a clever hint with a huge neon sign ?

I think we had a Knocked Out Campaign a year or two ago...maybe it's time for part 2.

The M51 kit would be a good candidate though. I wouldn't worry about the tranny or engine unless you plan on having the front splayed open. Actually, I'd probably have the Sherman with a thrown track and heavy damage to the suspension.
Northern_Lad
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 462 posts
Armorama: 417 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 20, 2014 - 08:30 PM UTC
Some progress to report…

Fuel drums on. I used the photo etch straps and handles included in the kit.

Running gear assembly completed…

But it is only tacked in place. Here I’ve taken it all off for easier painting later…

Just a few more details to add now to the upper hull and I’ll be off to the paintshop.

Cheers

Matthew
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 21, 2014 - 07:55 AM UTC
I will accept builds that are not "complete", by the normal interpretation. i.e. Dragon does not provide parts that will work. You can simply leave that section to be completed, after the campaign and paint will not be required.

If anyone needs further clarification, pm me. I will post all updates, immediately. I'm trying to keep this fair, for those who can finish their builds, without modifications.
catdude01
Visit this Community
Puerto Rico
KitMaker: 314 posts
Armorama: 253 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 21, 2014 - 08:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Some progress to report…

Fuel drums on. I used the photo etch straps and handles included in the kit.

Running gear assembly completed…

But it is only tacked in place. Here I’ve taken it all off for easier painting later…

Just a few more details to add now to the upper hull and I’ll be off to the paintshop.

Cheers

Matthew

Very nice track build! Fuel drums looks also really good
Bluestab
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, August 21, 2014 - 09:19 AM UTC
Thanks Matt for the clarification. I'll be unfixing the repairs to the vision port cover and the gap tonight and will probably post an update tomorrow....or tonight if I have time.
Bluestab
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, August 21, 2014 - 01:06 PM UTC
Back to work on the sdkfz253.

Upper hull assembly. Vision ports, blocks, and covers. You can see the fixed passenger side cover. This has since been removed. The mesh for the hood is plain plastic mesh. I'll probably change this out after the campaign for some PE covers I have in the spares.

Upper interior sidewalls. There's three water jugs included. Unfortunately if they are fitted per the instructions two will get in the way of the radio. I figure this is a leftover from the Grief version of this kit. I'd end up removing two of the jugs, damaging one in the prcess. I moved the survivor to the other side to give it some added detail.

With the interior basically assembled, it was time for paint. I used Testors Panzer Interior Buff. And yes I painted the wrong side of the roof.

Paint dry, I added the tie-down hooks for the hood and roof areas. One was damaged so I left it off next to where the radio antenna goes. I have one in the spares that will work and will add it after the campaign.

Interior shot of instrument panel.

Interior shot of the fighting compartment.

Radio set-up attached to roof.

Track time. The kit comes with Magic Track. They go together pretty nicely. I use a jig made from popcicle sticks to hold them together until the glue sets.

Tracks assembled, formed, and given a coat of dark-dark gray.

Fenders assembled. I prepainted the hull fieldgray so I could add the tracks and fenders.

Fenders on. Note the removed vision port cover on the passenger side. This will be fixed after the campaign. You can also see the location of the missing tie-down hook.

View from the other side. You can see the former locations of the water jugs.

The rear gap. That's a US quarter inserted in to the gap. I'll address this after the campaign.

With roof added to check fit. I'll probably just tack this down so I can reopen it after the campaign to add pieces of kit, radio headphones, etc. I've discovered a problem with the kit's spotter's binoculars. The sprue with the binoculars and mounts were not in the kit box. I've got a replacement from a Dragon StuG that I'll add after the campaign.

I'm glad to be back on track with this one and I'll be ready to get it done. This has been a very bad CH kit for me with the mold issues, missing parts, and fit issues. They can all be fixed, but it's really a disappointment.

I should have it assembled and ready for paint by the weekend.
Nito74
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Saturday, August 23, 2014 - 06:29 AM UTC
Lots of work there Alex, too bad about those gaps but it's looking very nice ! I like the radio & interior details.. I there's a MP40 lurking

My update, cleaning wheels

retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 23, 2014 - 11:18 AM UTC
I need to apply a filter and apply a pin wash. After that, tracks and suspension followed by the weathering.

Bluestab
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, August 23, 2014 - 12:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Lots of work there Alex, too bad about those gaps but it's looking very nice ! I like the radio & interior details.. I there's a MP40 lurking

Funny enough not a single MP40 in the kit. There are four Mauser rifles, four MG42s, two MG34s, and four signal pistols. There's the majority of the interior for the Grief version. Plus a lot of goodies for the spares. The kit has its issues and has a bit of room for improvement. It's all fixable though.

retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 23, 2014 - 12:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Funny enough not a single MP40 in the kit. There are four Mauser rifles, four MG42s, two MG34s, and four signal pistols. There's the majority of the interior for the Grief version. Plus a lot of goodies for the spares. The kit has its issues and has a bit of room for improvement. It's all fixable though.

This is exactly what I expected from this campaign. The discussion of extras, strengths and weaknesses of the Dragon like of kits. I'm sorry you are having so much trouble, but you can chalk it up to what you need to build it correctly next time or to knowing what not to repeat.
Bluestab
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, August 23, 2014 - 06:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

This is exactly what I expected from this campaign. The discussion of extras, strengths and weaknesses of the Dragon like of kits. I'm sorry you are having so much trouble, but you can chalk it up to what you need to build it correctly next time or to knowing what not to repeat.

Exactly. That's part of the appeal of these OOB campaigns...just build it warts and all. I think my mistake was I assumed the rules allowed to use whatever was in the box. If Mark hadn't posted about his problems with his 1/4 ton I wouldn't have even thought about mentioning the fixes. Probably could have got away with them but I figured I'd come clean about them. I thought the gap would be the only one of issue. Anyway, the matter is resolved and the build back on track.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Sunday, August 24, 2014 - 07:23 AM UTC

I will start on the pigments, this evening. I still need to finish the turret, tracks(which will take a few days) and running gear. The layers of filters, gloss and flat coats have severely toned down the preshading but I feel it is more realistic.
Vista85
Visit this Community
Bergamo, Italy
KitMaker: 118 posts
Armorama: 112 posts
Posted: Monday, August 25, 2014 - 02:21 AM UTC
Hello everyone
There are a lot of nice job here!
I'm starting my participation at this campaign with a OT-34/76 Dragon's kit.
He depicts the flamethrower version of this famous tanks.
Basic kit has some small issues but it isn't a problem

See you soon for work's upgrade
Northern_Lad
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 462 posts
Armorama: 417 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 26, 2014 - 05:51 AM UTC
Hello everybody,

More progress on the SU 85M...

So now it is all primed and ready to go…

I’m thinking to do a white-wash over 4BO using the hairspray technique to get a rough and ready finish…

That probably won’t be for a couple of weeks though…

Argh, isn’t it a pain when real life creeps in and takes over time and resources that should really be focused on the plastic...

Cheers

Matthew
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, August 26, 2014 - 09:15 AM UTC
Matthew: Looking good.

A small update.