Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
Dragon OOB Pt. II
Petro
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 984 posts
Armorama: 846 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 05, 2014 - 08:59 AM UTC
Good to know, thanks Mike
Charlie-66
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 771 posts
Armorama: 750 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 05, 2014 - 11:57 AM UTC
More progress. Finished the first 3 steps. This kit goes together really well, and so far no instruction errors!

nng-nng
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 380 posts
Armorama: 376 posts
Posted: Monday, October 06, 2014 - 08:52 AM UTC
Thanks Matthew, but I´m not close to done (which means there is lot´s of chances to screw something up )
I´ve continued the work with some MIG/Ak weathering stuff:

steaking is next.
Charlie-66
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, October 06, 2014 - 01:39 PM UTC
Fabian, loving that Pz III! Great paint job so far!
Namabiiru
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 2,888 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Monday, October 06, 2014 - 05:55 PM UTC
Well, I'm calling my little bazooka jeep done (or maybe it's calling me done; not sure which of us came out on top).

Even the most casual observer will note that, except for some dirt built up in the cab and on the tires, there's not a whole lot of weathering here. That's due to the fact that the two photos on which this kit seems to be based were clearly public affairs photos and the vehicle appears to have gotten a thorough GI-party ahead of time. Had originally intended to add the piled up snow seen in the photos, but just couldn't perfect a technique to achieve the effect I wanted.

For it's small size, this little beastie has caused a disproportionate amount of anguish and frustration.
Much of that is due to my still under-developed modeling skills, but DML gets no small amount of the credit thanks to the many problems with the kit and instructions. For a build that was supposed to be a quick-kill campaign entry, this has actually turned into a long, hard slog. But now I can finally get back to Rommel's Greif Sdkfz 250.

My congratulations to Matt for a thoroughly instructive campaign--in spite of (or rather because of) the hidden pitfalls of this Dragon offering.

retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Monday, October 06, 2014 - 11:10 PM UTC
Mark: Nice finish and thank you for the comments. This is one of the reasons for this campaign, so people know exactly what they are getting into.
easyco69
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,275 posts
Armorama: 2,233 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 08, 2014 - 01:52 AM UTC
Update:Done
ltb073
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,662 posts
Armorama: 3,078 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 08, 2014 - 03:03 AM UTC
Nice work David your knocking them out this morning I see
ltb073
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 09, 2014 - 01:58 PM UTC
Ok guys I'm running real late to this party and found this lucking in the back of the stash
 photo P1090104.jpg
lots of big pieces and not that many parts should be another speed build that i hope to get started by the weekend
easyco69
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Friday, October 10, 2014 - 01:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice work David your knocking them out this morning I see

Thx Sal! lol Ya, I got about 8 kits on the bench, i'm finally getting stuff done thx to joining campaigns.
Nice kit by the way sal!
Charlie-66
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, October 10, 2014 - 02:03 AM UTC
David, I saw your post that the Hetzer was a "terrible kit". I have one in the stash, and it's been inching its way to the top of the pile. What made it terrible? Maybe it needs to go back to the bottom of the pile! BTW, for a terrible kit you sure made it look top notch!
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,128 posts
Armorama: 2,959 posts
Posted: Friday, October 10, 2014 - 03:51 AM UTC
@David; Your OOTB Hetzer looks pretty good! You have pulled a pretty nice purse out of that old sow's ear!

I'll echo Guy's question, as I have a couple of these Dragon "Hetzers" and actually plan on building one (but NOT OOTB...).

I had heard somewhere that the D Hetzers are basically pretty good dimension-wise? There are a couple things which I know about (and thus mean no OOTB for me on this one) - one is that the road-wheels are curbside-only and don't have detail on the inner faces. So I figure on replacing those. And then there are the lack of the PE box to make that perforated grouser-bin look best, and some simplified and older tools and such that could look better. These, and other smallish inaccuracies are details and don't make the kit awful, IMO - just desiring of some up-dating to get a better Hetzer.

So... why a "terrible kit"?

Bob

Of course, isn't it TIME that Dragon or someone else comes out with a new-tool "Hetzer series" - flamm, early, later, bergehetzer (YEAH! ), etc.? Oh, and PLEASE, nice correct link tracks!
SHAKY962
Visit this Community
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 765 posts
Armorama: 438 posts
Posted: Friday, October 10, 2014 - 07:43 PM UTC
Here my entry

retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Friday, October 10, 2014 - 09:11 PM UTC
Do to airbrush problems, I may not be able to complete this campaign. I only need one painting session to finish, but from what I understand it could take a month for my airbrush to be fixed. And, I have not yet received a reply to send it in for servicing.
Charlie-66
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 11, 2014 - 12:00 PM UTC
Matt, bum luck there. Hope they get it fixed for you!

All the favorable reviews I've read on this kit are true. It flies together, the fit is excellent, and so far not a single instruction error.

I know the tracks are reversed and look funky. They are in place only so the sprocket teeth can support where I glued the DS together.

Still need to form and add the PE muffler guard.
Petro
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 984 posts
Armorama: 846 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 12, 2014 - 02:15 PM UTC
I did some painting of the road wheel tires yesterday. 1.5 hours and only half done.
I need some pointers on assembling the tracks. Some kind of jig. fiddily peices
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 12, 2014 - 02:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I did some painting of the road wheel tires yesterday. 1.5 hours and only half done.
I need some pointers on assembling the tracks. Some kind of jig. fiddily peices

You could cut a contour of the running gear out of a piece of cardboard; and use it to line them up during assembly.
ltb073
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2014 - 07:09 AM UTC
Hi Guys
As I thought I was able to get most of this monster assembled over the weekend
 photo P1090105.jpg
Road wheels are dry fit to ease painting later
 photo P1090106.jpg
its all primed up now just have to complete the tracks
catdude01
Visit this Community
Puerto Rico
KitMaker: 314 posts
Armorama: 253 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 14, 2014 - 12:08 AM UTC
Hello Fellas,I want to share some pictures of my campaign build,the Pz.Beob.Wg. III Ausf H appearance in the Modelfest 2014 that took place on Corozal, Puerto Rico this weekend.

easyco69
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, October 14, 2014 - 12:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

David, I saw your post that the Hetzer was a "terrible kit". I have one in the stash, and it's been inching its way to the top of the pile. What made it terrible? Maybe it needs to go back to the bottom of the pile! BTW, for a terrible kit you sure made it look top notch!

Its not terrible. It's just an old mold , pretty simplistic. Probably because I've built newer/better ones. The CyberHobby Orange Series is just that, old molds slapped together with some figures. Trust me, it was fun. For example..if it weren't an Out of the Box campaign , I would have replaced all the tools in the kit, the running gear, the barrel, the tracks etc....but, I couldn't, I had to build it from "out of the box". That's the first thing I look at in a kit is the "tools". especially the fire extinguisher..dragon's newer kits have great tools.I prefer the tools that come with no brackets molded on, but the brackets come as PE.
With older kits I tend to pay more attention to adding spares to them, sprucing them up via weathering, pigments,replacing the tools, tracks, adding ammo boxes, steel cables with PE brackets etc.. etc...instead of an old kit..you make it into a brilliant experience by giving it that extra attention to detail, to help it along. Then the project actually becomes a better experience then a regular top notch kit.
PS- thx for the compliment
Sal - I want that kit! lol
Nice job on that PZ III Pedro!
Everyone's work is brilliant.
easyco69
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, October 14, 2014 - 12:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Do to airbrush problems, I may not be able to complete this campaign. I only need one painting session to finish, but from what I understand it could take a month for my airbrush to be fixed. And, I have not yet received a reply to send it in for servicing.

Go buy some silly putty, open up your compressor, replace the torn gasket with a small piece of silly putty. I'm just guessing, but thats the first thing that goes is the gasket.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 14, 2014 - 01:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Go buy some silly putty, open up your compressor, replace the torn gasket with a small piece of silly putty. I'm just guessing, but thats the first thing that goes is the gasket.

I finally figured it out. The original nozzle had a tiny speck of paint in it. Toothpicks are awesome. The second nozzle/needle configuration did not work, because they had been mixed up between sessions. Unfortunately, it is supposed to rain for the next few days. Got to love having to spray outside.
easyco69
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, October 14, 2014 - 01:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Sounds like an interesting idea, I swear I have enough parts from the Panzer 4 series of tanks to nearly be able to build a complete vehicle from my spares box. There's another campaign idea "spares box panzer" where you must build something from all the parts you have spare.

Now that would be fun ! lol Would see alot of PZ III's & IV's
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 14, 2014 - 01:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Sounds like an interesting idea, I swear I have enough parts from the Panzer 4 series of tanks to nearly be able to build a complete vehicle from my spares box. There's another campaign idea "spares box panzer" where you must build something from all the parts you have spare.

Wouldn't that be the same as the waste not want not campaign?
nng-nng
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 380 posts
Armorama: 376 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 14, 2014 - 01:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

A Frankenstein Panzer IV... actuallly not too far away from beeing possible. For example Dragon 6264 includes 2 lower hulls, Tristar 35023 a spare upper hull, with the thousand clacis plates in differnt Dragon kits, you can go add the Tristar running gear set, Spare Fenders and tools from the same Dragon kit... The only thing I haven´t found is a spare turret

I countinued detail work on the Panzer III: