Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
Dragon OOB Pt. II
SlapFight
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 17 posts
Armorama: 14 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 10, 2014 - 03:01 PM UTC
Well, i'm a bit late to this party, but with a vacation coming up, I think I can manage.
My choice is the venerable ZSU-23-4m, probably done up in Iraqi colors (color), and I'm going to try and actually follow the instructed steps for once in my life, hehe.
Let's do this.
SlapFight
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 17 posts
Armorama: 14 posts
Posted: Monday, August 11, 2014 - 11:11 AM UTC
Step 1: Building the radar.
I left the dome loose, so I can adjust the angle later.
Needs a tiny bit more clean up, as the photos show everything, but it's 98% there.

On to step 2: Wheels, idlers, and sprockets.
catdude01
Visit this Community
Puerto Rico
KitMaker: 314 posts
Armorama: 253 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 12, 2014 - 01:48 AM UTC
Hi Fellas!

I finish my panzer 3 and went to Ipms Nationals In Virginia. Here you can see pictures of the finished model kit. Hope you like it.

I also built this one:

M4A3E8Easy8
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 302 posts
Armorama: 300 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 12, 2014 - 12:55 PM UTC
So we need to know how the little bugger did? I think it came out looking great, and I hope you enjoyed the show, I wanted to go but work took me away. Maybe next year.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 12, 2014 - 07:22 PM UTC
Excellent work on both builds, Pedro.
SGTJKJ
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
Armorama: 4,677 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 12, 2014 - 08:23 PM UTC
Great builds, Pedro. Very nice weathering!
catdude01
Visit this Community
Puerto Rico
Posted: Tuesday, August 12, 2014 - 11:59 PM UTC

Quoted Text

So we need to know how the little bugger did? I think it came out looking great, and I hope you enjoyed the show, I wanted to go but work took me away. Maybe next year.

No award this time, but Its was fun, lots and lots of great works this year. We also shake hands with Bill Greenwell, WWII veteran from B-17 "feather Merchant". Its was a great honor. You can take a sneak peak of the event here:

http://svsm.org/gallery/hampton2014-awards?page=1

http://www.ipmsusa3.org/gallery/v/events/2014-nationals/

http://www.pelikanclub.org/2014-ipms-nationals-misc/

Our chapter entries:

http://www.ipmsborinqueneers.com/apps/forums/topics/show/12986874-ipms-nationals-virginia-2014
Bluestab
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,160 posts
Armorama: 1,906 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 13, 2014 - 01:51 PM UTC
Matt,
I was wondering about this radio in this sdkfz253. Can I use a Dragon set of headphones from the spares or is that pushing the spirit too much? If not, no big deal, I'll add them after the campaign.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 13, 2014 - 02:15 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Matt,
I was wondering about this radio in this sdkfz253. Can I use a Dragon set of headphones from the spares or is that pushing the spirit too much? If not, no big deal, I'll add them after the campaign.

I would prefer you build straight out of the box.
Bluestab
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, August 13, 2014 - 02:32 PM UTC
No problem Matt. I'm working on the radio now and figured I'd ask. I'll add headphones and stowage to it after the campaign.
catdude01
Visit this Community
Puerto Rico
Posted: Thursday, August 14, 2014 - 02:58 AM UTC

Ok this are the final pictures of my Panzer 3, I have a lot of fun doing this fella. So next in line is the Meng D9R that I got on the Ipms Nationals last week, finally I have it! Thank for all your support!

Blackstoat
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 568 posts
Armorama: 561 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 14, 2014 - 04:31 AM UTC
Pedro

I'm liking those 3's. They always look 'right' if you get my drift. Same with the Stug 3. When I look at a 4 the proportion looks wrong to me... just aesthetics I know :-)

Top job mate
Blackstoat
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, August 15, 2014 - 04:13 AM UTC
Here's mine

I'm not particularly proud of it, but I haven't been very well lately and I'll have to call it finished for the time being.

I hope to revisit it in future.

All the best with your builds
catdude01
Visit this Community
Puerto Rico
Posted: Friday, August 15, 2014 - 06:26 AM UTC
Andy:

Looking like a great built to me. I see some bright spot, maybe its the light, but for the rest its looking fine.

Take a rest of the kit. When Inspiration returns, you can do other retouching, repainting, even snow camo and of course the infamous weathering and chipping!
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Friday, August 15, 2014 - 07:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Andy:

Looking like a great built to me. I see some bright spot, maybe its the light, but for the rest its looking fine.

Take a rest of the kit. When Inspiration returns, you can do other retouching, repainting, even snow camo and of course the infamous weathering and chipping!

I agree. I built the Trumpeter version of that gun and enjoyed it. Yours looks quite good.
Blackstoat
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, August 15, 2014 - 09:07 AM UTC
Thanks for your kind words of encouragement guys. But I've fallen out of love with this one

next one will be better :-)
Northern_Lad
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 462 posts
Armorama: 417 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 16, 2014 - 07:38 AM UTC
Hello everyone!

There are some lovely builds on here. I especially like the panzer III with dummy gun and multi-pronged aerial. It looks just the part and the weathering is spot on. I have one of those in the stash and yours gives me inspiration, Pedro.

However, I’m building the Dragon SU 85M for this campaign, and what a nice kit it is too. Lots of sprues though, and confusingly there are two different sprue Fs. One was donated from an T34 76 early, the other from a T34 85, and one should take certain pieces from each.

Here are a few progress pics...

Suspension done.

And the wheels scraped free of the mould seem.

Wheels on, and a bit of photo-etch on the under-side.

The magic tracks start to go on. I did this in stages. they are only glued to the drive sprocket. The wheels aren’t actually glued in place yet. My plan is to build up the tracks around them and then remove the whole running gear assembly for painting…

More progress pics next week, I hope.

Cheers

Matthew
Namabiiru
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 2,888 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 16, 2014 - 02:37 PM UTC
Matt,
Looking for a mercy ruling from the master arbiter. Building the Dragon 1/4 ton 4x4 w/ bazookas. Was supposed to be quick, fun build, but instead has proved to be one of the most frustrating, poorly-executed kits I've ever worked on. I was just getting to the point of being able to finish assembly and start doing detail painting and weathering when I discovered the four little PE tie-downs for the bazookas are too short--they absolutely will not go around the bazookas and meet up with the mount. They need to be replaced, which I could do easy enough with four pieces of wire, but that would violate the strict letter of the campaign rules. How do you feel about using stretched sprue instead. Pain in the @$$ but technically it did come out of the box...

retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Monday, August 18, 2014 - 02:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Matt,
Looking for a mercy ruling from the master arbiter. Building the Dragon 1/4 ton 4x4 w/ bazookas. Was supposed to be quick, fun build, but instead has proved to be one of the most frustrating, poorly-executed kits I've ever worked on. I was just getting to the point of being able to finish assembly and start doing detail painting and weathering when I discovered the four little PE tie-downs for the bazookas are too short--they absolutely will not go around the bazookas and meet up with the mount. They need to be replaced, which I could do easy enough with four pieces of wire, but that would violate the strict letter of the campaign rules. How do you feel about using stretched sprue instead. Pain in the @$$ but technically it did come out of the box...

I can't allow it. There are several defficiencies in the kits being built, but this is strictly out of the box. No modifications.
Bluestab
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, August 18, 2014 - 02:58 AM UTC
Matt,
What about damaged and missing parts? One of the armored port covers was not fully formed. I took one of the extra larger covers and modified it to work. I figured since it was included that it would be okay. And what about fixes? My example had a few nasty gaps and I had to use a styrene strip to fill one of them.

Let me know something about those. I might have to rethink some things on this one.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Monday, August 18, 2014 - 04:12 AM UTC
I had to buy a spares kit, for my Pz.III F.
Bluestab
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, August 18, 2014 - 10:23 AM UTC
So you're saying I need to buy another kit for the missing vision port cover? What about the mega gap? Do I try to remove the styrene and leave the gap?
Northern_Lad
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 462 posts
Armorama: 417 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 19, 2014 - 03:15 AM UTC
Alex, bad luck, mate...

Someone mentioned the foibles of Dragon kits some posts ago. Well, I discovered one last night… Looking through the parts tree which shows what are to be used and what not, I noticed this...

But on looking through the instruction booklet there was no step where these parts are attached to the hull…

Naturally, my assumption was to put them on the upper left and rights sides of the hull, here...

like this...

Having re-read what I’ve just written, it all seems so obvious. But how could Dragon miss out this crucial step from the instruction booklet?… Amazing.

That aside, the kit does go together nicely and the parts are all beautifully moulded with no flash and minimal seem lines...

Happy modelling, all!
Nito74
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,386 posts
Armorama: 4,727 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 19, 2014 - 06:14 AM UTC
Finally I got some time to start this one...

But.. while I was checking the bagged sprues and instructions...
I spotted this little Dragon gem ..

So since I was recovering from a Plastic Problem from a Build for Aeroscale's Showtime Campaign, my patience was at a very low point, maybe at -344
I could see that my first Sherman and first IDF tank would drive me mad so I decided to change my build:

I hate these instructions...

Anyway here it is..

I ran out of Tamyia Glue.

Bluestab
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, August 19, 2014 - 10:23 AM UTC
Mathew,
The 253 kit uses those cursed color instructions...and I think they are modified instructions from the old Greif kit. Some stuff, like the water bottle placements, don't work with the radio assembly. The instructions for their sdkfz 251 omits the instructions for the track assembly. It's hit or miss with these CH kits.

John,
Those Sherman tracks aren't as bad as you'd think. Given patience, I'd probably go with the T34 as well. It's a nice build.

Matt,
I'm not going to buy another sdkfz 253 kit. I have no interest in buying a second kit just to secure a ribbon. I've already fixed the issue from what was included in the kit box. If that and the gap fix are an issue I'll just un-enlist and finish it up. It's not some sort of ultimatum or anything like that. If it doesn't meet the rules then it doesn't meet the rules. If I had another Dragon kit in the stash I'd just switch over to it.