Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
Dragon OOB Pt. II
Nito74
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,386 posts
Armorama: 4,727 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 11, 2014 - 06:36 AM UTC
Glad to see the usual suspects happy !!!

Wait.. where's Sal ??!
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,128 posts
Armorama: 2,959 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 11, 2014 - 06:43 AM UTC
Paul;

How can you actually build that T-28 OOTB? Didn't it come with paint and glue and such right in the box? I'd send the darned thing back and get a refund!

I'm in.... I'm sure I have a Dragon-in-a-box waiting to get built.

Bob
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 11, 2014 - 10:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

In at #2.

The timeframe works well for me.

I see the rules ay no dioramas. What about some sort of basic base? I ask because for part 1 I built a 5cm pak with crew and displayed it on a simple homemade base (Styrofoam sheet, celluclay, etc.). I doubt I would need or do a base for whatever I decide on, but others might. I'm probably going to do a vehicle/tank and keep it simple for the campaign.

I do see the problem, here.

John: Can you please edit the campaign to allow small vignettes? I expect everybody to stick to simple bases. If you are building a vehicle with a crew, please keep them inside the tank.
ltb073
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,662 posts
Armorama: 3,078 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 11, 2014 - 10:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Glad to see the usual suspects happy !!!

Wait.. where's Sal ??!

Oh wait here I am in at number 7 I was at school today just got on the site
Question to Matt, I have this CyberHobby Kit

But I used the AA crew for the Atlantic Wall Campaign a while back, will this still be good to go
If not thats ok i have plenty of other Dragon/Cyber kits in the stash
Bluestab
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,160 posts
Armorama: 1,906 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 11, 2014 - 10:44 AM UTC
I hated to sound like I'm nitpicking the rules. For ease, how about just add that aftermarket and manufactured bases (ex. Miniart) aren't allowed. And it's advised that bases be kept as simple as possible as the emphasis is intended for the Dragon kits.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 11, 2014 - 11:24 AM UTC
Sal: That is fine.

Quoted Text

I hated to sound like I'm nitpicking the rules. For ease, how about just add that aftermarket and manufactured bases (ex. Miniart) aren't allowed. And it's advised that bases be kept as simple as possible as the emphasis is intended for the Dragon kits.

That is getting too far away from the founding reason for this campaign. If you want to do that, feel free to do so after your campaign build.
Nito74
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Tuesday, March 11, 2014 - 12:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

In at #2.

The timeframe works well for me.

I see the rules ay no dioramas. What about some sort of basic base? I ask because for part 1 I built a 5cm pak with crew and displayed it on a simple homemade base (Styrofoam sheet, celluclay, etc.). I doubt I would need or do a base for whatever I decide on, but others might. I'm probably going to do a vehicle/tank and keep it simple for the campaign.

I do see the problem, here.

John: Can you please edit the campaign to allow small vignettes? I expect everybody to stick to simple bases. If you are building a vehicle with a crew, please keep them inside the tank.

Ok Matt.
Done !
Bluestab
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, March 11, 2014 - 12:25 PM UTC
Understood Matt. And that's probably the best way to present it...the spirit of the campaign.
1721Lancers
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,673 posts
Armorama: 1,640 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 12, 2014 - 08:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Paul;

How can you actually build that T-28 OOTB? Didn't it come with paint and glue and such right in the box? I'd send the darned thing back and get a refund!

Bob

Bob I would send it back but, I got it cheap from a bloke who said it fell off the back of a truck

Paul
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 12, 2014 - 09:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Paul;

Bob

Bob I would send it back but, I got it cheap from a bloke who said it fell off the back of a truck

Paul

Paul;

You're not suggesting that stuff just sort of "falls off trucks" around the UK, are you? Here I thought that kind of thing only happened in Chicago and a few other places like that! Don't you chaps have something like "lorries"?
PvtMutt
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 614 posts
Armorama: 601 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 12, 2014 - 11:48 AM UTC
Oh what the heck i'll fall in line too.

Tony lee
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 12, 2014 - 09:42 PM UTC
Looks like I will be building the Pz.38(t). I'm hoping this will make me a little more familiar with the tank, before I start my 1:16 build next year.
robw_uk
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,224 posts
Armorama: 1,207 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 12, 2014 - 10:21 PM UTC
I will pencil myself in for this - probably the CH Pz III BeoB (maybe the DML Pz IV Ausf J but dont think the time frame would allow me to do that kit justice)...

NOTE just seen the dates weren't what was in OP - i will still try to join but have a 251 and Bronco campaign to complete (could run all 3 in parallel)
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 3,960 posts
Armorama: 3,579 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 13, 2014 - 04:21 AM UTC
Sounds interesting ...I have a model show at the end of May that might have me scrambling to finish something but after that it might be fun to build a Dragon kit OOB ... Funny I was thinking of which kit might be a good easy build ...hmmmm ... No panthers cause I want to fix the track holders and add chains... Panzer IIIs and IVs ?? ...Maybe able to go without adding the chains to the towing pins.. Shermans??? Nahhhh sold them all .. Tigers I or II ..that could happen ! Marders , Grilles , Halftracks, or maybe an 88.. Oh the possibilities!!! Guess I'm in .. Just have to wade through a whole lot of kits and deside..I'll wait to join just in case something comes up in the mean time .. I only build one at a time ..I'm strange that way ..lol but 95% count me in .
It'll be fun.

Rick
1721Lancers
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,673 posts
Armorama: 1,640 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 13, 2014 - 06:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Paul;

Bob

Paul

Paul;

You're not suggesting that stuff just sort of "falls off trucks" around the UK, are you? Here I thought that kind of thing only happened in Chicago and a few other places like that! Don't you chaps have something like "lorries"?

Bob I live in Germany, but that sort of thing happens here now and again, mostly at model shows. Also I wrote "truck" so that would definitely understand me . I didn't want you mistaking "lorry" with "lolly" like the thing Kojak used to suck

Paul
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 13, 2014 - 08:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Paul;

Bob

Paul

Paul;

Bob I live in Germany, but that sort of thing happens here now and again, mostly at model shows. Also I wrote "truck" so that would definitely understand me . I didn't want you mistaking "lorry" with "lolly" like the thing Kojak used to suck

Paul

Lolly. Yeah. That's what my wife (Japanese) says when she pronounces Lorry! (As a sort of ethnic joke - the Chinese don't have the "R" - Japanese do - but...! so we also corrupt "turtle" to become "tull-tray")

In Germany? Long ago, I spent a few years down in the "Mittelfrancken" of Bayern (Bavaria) - very tiny and ancient (founded 512 AD!) burg called Illesheim, located roughly between Ansbach and Wurzburg - courtesy of the US Army. Traffic accident investigations, hunting Russians in the night, stuff like that. Oh, and tried about 900 different types of beer while "over there"! getting tired, yet?

Give me the quick and dirty on where and what U do there!

Bob
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 13, 2014 - 08:24 AM UTC
I think my likely kit is winging (or wending) its postal way to me as I speak... CH Pz.BefWgn III ausf J kit 6544.

@Matt; Being as this is your show... I'll plan on sticking inside this one box, but would like to know whether any sheet styrene or stretched sprue can be added. The sprue would come from this box. What if I want to bring in some jerrycans? Do I need to rob these specifically from a Dragon donor box or can I use some equivalent cans (cans with metal PE inserts just like those used in the D kits)?

Cheers!

Bob
Tiger1944
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 160 posts
Armorama: 152 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 13, 2014 - 09:12 AM UTC
I will build my namesake, a Tiger tank from 1944 as I have that uber 3 in 1 Mid production Tiger kit. Has lots of etch, brass ammo, PE fenders even a bloody bucket!
But it's missing a very crucial thing that all 1944 era Tiger tanks had...Zimmerit!
So what am I allowed to do to remedy this as no AM stuff allowed so that rules out Eduard or Cavalier zimmerit. I am hoping to build Herr Wittmann's last Tiger, the command tank 007.

If that's not suitable though I do have a Panzer IV, M2 half track or Marder III Dragon kits in the stash.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Friday, March 14, 2014 - 01:04 AM UTC
I'm really happy to see the enthusiasm this campaign has brought about. It goes against my nature to build ootb, but I think I can manage. lol
Petro
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 984 posts
Armorama: 846 posts
Posted: Friday, March 14, 2014 - 03:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm really happy to see the enthusiasm this campaign has brought about. It goes against my nature to build ootb, but I think I can manage. lol

The first Dragon OOB campaign was cool. I wouldn't say it goes against MY nature to build OOB, but after having finally bought 1 Tiger IE kit and a Tiger II kit, i will say these will not be candidates for this campaign.

Nito74
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Friday, March 14, 2014 - 03:42 AM UTC
Many cool options in stash.

Either a Panther II / Panzer III or M50 Sherman.

Plenty of time to change my mind too..

My bet is on another great Campaign !!!
Bluestab
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, March 14, 2014 - 05:49 AM UTC
Jason, My first thought for zimm within the OOB rules would be maybe putty or using a hot knife. The hot knife is probably more in tune with the spirit of the campaign, and even then it is pushing it. Myself, I'd pick another kit and save the Tiger to go bonkers on later...maybe the next Tiger or Big Cats Campaign. I wouldn't risk the Tiger kit with putty or the hot knife.

I don't mind building OOB. Sometimes it's just relaxing to build to build. I like to scratch in stuff like stowage racks over buying AM sets. I've been known to pull completed kits off the shelf and tinker with them. As suggested, I can easily see building it OOB for the campaign and then fiddling with it later on.

For this style of campaign I'd look for a kit that builds up really nice on its own...or something that has some glaring faults. Sort of have fun with the kit's strengths or weaknesses. Or build something I normally wouldn't be inclined to build.

Anyway, I look forward to this one and deciding on something to build

robw_uk
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,224 posts
Armorama: 1,207 posts
Posted: Friday, March 14, 2014 - 07:14 AM UTC
think I will go with the Pz III BEOB as that is CH (so relatively straight forward). Dont mind OOB for this as I am tempted to hit my Bronco A13 Cruiser with some scratch interior if I can pluck up the courage.....
Tiger_213
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,510 posts
Armorama: 1,443 posts
Posted: Friday, March 14, 2014 - 09:12 AM UTC
What about decals? I'm thinking an Ausf. A or D Panther but don't usually care for kit options and I have Kagero's Panther book.

I don't want to kill the OOB spirit but it's not that different from using a stencil and airbrushing a different tactical number in.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Friday, March 14, 2014 - 09:43 PM UTC
I'm staying firm on the "oob" rules. No scratch builds or products from other manufacturers. If you want to hand paint the markings and insignia, that is fine.