Campaigns: Completed Campaigns
Campaigns that are completed should be grouped here.
Hosted by Richard S.
WWII Panther Tanks!
cacciacarri
Visit this Community
Rimini, Italy
KitMaker: 91 posts
Armorama: 88 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 11, 2014 - 06:29 PM UTC
Hi everyone,
I hope it's not too late to join you for this Campaign.
best
Antonio
viking252200
Visit this Community
Saitama-ken, Japan / 日本
KitMaker: 13 posts
Armorama: 10 posts
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2014 - 02:20 AM UTC
Hi,
As we had a long weekend here in Japan, I made some progress on my panther f build.
I wasn't quite sure how I would approach this build, but in the end, I decided to go all "what if...1946"

I finished putting the hull and turret together without any real problems, a tiny bit of filler was needed on the turret, but that was about it.

The texture on the mantlet, copula and armored housings was a bit weak so I redid that.

I bought voyagers etch-set and I made half of the front fender...and I think I'm going blind...talk about fiddly bits!

I scratch built the roof armor and instead of going with two thin ones, I went with one thick one made out of some 0.5mm stock.
Still debating weather or not I should do the same to the turret sides?

Here are a few pictures...

Piratos
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
KitMaker: 137 posts
Armorama: 137 posts
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2014 - 05:27 AM UTC
So I'm about to begin this old Tamiya Panther G early, gotten a few extra bits for it zimmerit, new gun and some engine grill mesh (These are coming in the mail this week hopefully).

But just thought I would post my start picture

Bluestab
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,160 posts
Armorama: 1,906 posts
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2014 - 10:01 AM UTC
I had a pretty productive weekend.

The first thing was to photocopy the parts layout. Being of ICM origins, the parts are not numbered on parts trees. Overall, the parts are pretty good and the build looks to be pretty straightforward. There's a bit of flash. The parts that worry me the most are the individual track links.

I'm not going to go step-by-step on the build. Most of the build is pretty standard.

Lets start on the lower hull. Yay for one-piece hulls. Suspension bump stops.

Drive sprocket mounts and suspension arms added. Arms are keyed and fit pretty snug and straight & square.

Not shown, but I went ahead and prepainted the lower hull sidewalls and the roadwheels. The rubber parts were painted a lightened flat black and the contact metal surfaces got a dab of steel. Added a wash to the hull details. The black and steel should be toned down a bit in finishing.

Roadwheels, drive sprockets, and idlers added.

Hull rear plate. I left the jack off for painting.

The grilling on the engine deck are not backed so I added pieces of scrap styrene. I'll paint the squared one red-oxide and the round ones black or maybe dark-dark gray.

Underside view showing the rear deck inserts. The periscopes were added to the front. The instructions call for you to paint the front panzer interior buff, but you won't see anything after the hatch and hatch plate are added. Plus I plan to add crew.

Front glacis with driver's view port added. The MGer's letter box flap is molded on to the front.

And that gets us to the tracks. The tracks are delicate, especially the connection points. I have broken a few removing them and cleaning them up. I've noticed a few mismolded ones as well.

I'll probably slow down a bit and work on the tracks a few at a time. I'm ahead of schedule, so I can afford to take my time a bit.

Piratos
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
KitMaker: 137 posts
Armorama: 137 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 14, 2014 - 10:11 AM UTC
So time for another post already! :-p after a few hours of work I'm basically finished with the assembly part of my Panther build (God I love Tamiya), still waiting for my exhaust wents, hopefully they will be here soon.

Painting probably won't start before I've finished two other small builds I'm currently working on

Anyways, picture time.

My Tamiya zimmerit kit wasn't as tricky to apply as I had feared and really looking forward to seeing how it will look with some paint on it.

But that's it for now.

Chris
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 6,188 posts
Armorama: 5,960 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 14, 2014 - 11:47 AM UTC
Hey guys!

I have just returned home from the hospital so sorry for my absence guys.

If any questions have gone unanswered, PLEASE re-ask them here or my PM and I will get right on top of them!

Now let's have some fun with those Panthers!

Jeff
Tiger_213
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,510 posts
Armorama: 1,443 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 14, 2014 - 12:56 PM UTC
You were gone? Hope you're feeling better, Jeff.
woltersk
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 1,026 posts
Armorama: 654 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 14, 2014 - 01:26 PM UTC
Wholly Crap! So many have gotten so far in so little time. I've barely cracked the box and reviewed the instructions. Most of my long weekend was spent reminiscing with old Air Force friends in lovely Wendover Nevada while losing money on slots and enjoying free drinks.

Anywho, here is my "proof-of-life" shot. I'll be on travel next week and will probably take the running gear sprues and a few tools to knock-out some of the more mundane work in my hotel room.

Keith
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 14, 2014 - 02:06 PM UTC
I'm in, with this one:
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 14, 2014 - 08:54 PM UTC
I mean this one:

PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 14, 2014 - 11:08 PM UTC

Quoted Text

You were gone? Hope you're feeling better, Jeff.

Thanks Chris. This third time around is much more different than my earlier procedures like putting my pants on... it's as hard as say doing a load of laundry or driving to get the car fueled up. I had to have an extra surgery as they found some cysts and later found it was cancer, but self-contained and non-aggressive.

I'll spill the beans and tell everyone MY situation. For 23 years I have fought kidney disease and have had 3 kidney transplants. This being my third. I have waited for this one for 5 years, 4 years being on dialysis.

I may not be around enough here for you guys at first so PLEASE seek Johns' expertise and wisdom. I say this with no reservation because I wouldn't just turn it over to just 'anyone', and not just because he's the Administrator either. I have gotten to know and to trust him for some time now so I feel comfortable to let him help me out. Otherwise I would just turn it over to someone else and be done with it.

I'll get better soon enough (I must... I have spent a fortune on Panther parts! LOL) but I felt you guys needed an explanation. This has been the sole reason for most of my other absences and failures to complete other Campaigns so once I get over this hump I'll be back on track.

So just PM me if you want ME to answer a question or here on the thread and John will get it for me.

Thanks for understanding and let's see some Panthers guys!

Jeff
Tiger_213
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,510 posts
Armorama: 1,443 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 15, 2014 - 12:30 AM UTC
Wow, Jeff, lot of bad stuff. Luckily it's benign; really glad you can get off dialysis too. Hope you feel better soon.

Matt, that particular kit is really nice. Steel and rubber rimmed roadwheels and three sprues worth of infra-red gear. Good choice for any Ausf. G. that isn't DML-speficic-production-date.
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 15, 2014 - 12:44 AM UTC
Oh, and per Rob's suggestion I edited in the gallery link in the first reply of this thread.

Jeff
Dragon164
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 1,909 posts
Armorama: 1,066 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 15, 2014 - 01:21 AM UTC
Hey Jeff,
Look after yourself, we will all try to behave in your absence.

Cheers Rob.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 15, 2014 - 01:41 AM UTC
Wishing you well, Jeff. Hopefully, the procedures go well and you lead a long life.
rolltide31
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,481 posts
Armorama: 93 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 15, 2014 - 04:30 AM UTC
hey all,

Jeff, get well and look after yourself. Prayers are with you.

Well my kit finally arrived via snail mail, so here is my "proof of life".

This is actually the second version of this kit that I am working on. The first is part of the Operation Market Garden Campaign and combined they will be the basis for my dio depicting the 107 Panzer Brigade cutting Hells Highway. I am contemplating entering the Knocked out campaign and incorporating a couple of British Brenden Lorry's and a 40mm Bofors. We will see how that plays out but in the end it will be a long project.

Everyones build looks great.

Chris, how did you like the Tamiya Zimmerit? Did you have any issues with mounting it or any fit issues? Looking to acquire some myself but would like some feedback before I take the plunge.

thanks

Dave
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 15, 2014 - 04:39 AM UTC
I think I will build this one:

Nice thing is that the turret numbers are covered and I can see no other markings. Means, the Tamiya kit will work.
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,128 posts
Armorama: 2,959 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 15, 2014 - 06:07 AM UTC
Maybe you'll need a "6" on the turret rear!

So...

What are your plans for the evident zimmerit? DIY (me), resin set, Tamiya paper zimm?

Bob
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 15, 2014 - 06:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Maybe you'll need a "6" on the turret rear!

So...

What are your plans for the evident zimmerit? DIY (me), resin set, Tamiya paper zimm?

Bob

Yes, I missed that. Not too difficult to replicate. I'll paint it by hand, as it does not look factory applied. I think I will go with Tamiya zim.
wedgetail53
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 658 posts
Armorama: 629 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 15, 2014 - 09:44 AM UTC
Matt

IIRC, the crew of that particular Panther are watching the results of an Allied air attack on a nearby convoy. One source identifies the Panther as being from 9th SS Panzer Regiment of 9th SS Panzer Division.

If they are watching an air attack, one wonders why they are staying out in the open and not high tailing it for the nearest cover!

Regards

Rob
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 15, 2014 - 12:04 PM UTC
Thanks so much guys! Your kind words and well wishes will carry me very far!

And Brian on your Panther F... ( and you're a man after my own heart ) since the Panther F is sort of a "what if" I would go ahead with the turret side armor and see what it looks like. Why not?

Great start to everyone. Today we had to run to the hospital for an uncertain setback that has me in great doubt and discomfort but seeing the images here make it all go away.

Keep up the great work.

Jeff
Removed by original poster on 10/16/14 - 00:35:52 (GMT).
viking252200
Visit this Community
Saitama-ken, Japan / 日本
KitMaker: 13 posts
Armorama: 10 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 16, 2014 - 02:50 AM UTC
Hi Jeff,
Thanks for you reply!

This panther will be heavily modded

All the best to you!
Yeti01012001
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 360 posts
Armorama: 334 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 16, 2014 - 11:56 PM UTC
Here is the start of my entry for the PANTHER campaign.

next step paint the turret in 3 tone camoflauge.

Trying to get the tank to look like a bash of all different panther parts put together to make one working one.
woltersk
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 1,026 posts
Armorama: 654 posts
Posted: Friday, October 17, 2014 - 01:59 PM UTC
@Jeff S.--so sorry to hear of your troubles. I hope all is well and getting better.

Over the last few days I managed to put flush cutters to sprue, and cement to styrene. Not much, but it's a start.

Looking forward to watching the other builds progress.

Keith