Rough road, on the road again...
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,727 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 03, 2014 - 07:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Extraordinary work! I can't believe how authentic and effective your uniform camo appears! The old man with the cane - a work of art!

Super work!

what old man with a cane???

Have you received sneak peaks too??

Cheers

Romain

matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 5,957 posts
Armorama: 2,956 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 03, 2014 - 07:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

what old man with a cane???

it's the second pic on page 7....... it's the pics of the figgys alone.
Stickframe
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,661 posts
Armorama: 1,202 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 04, 2014 - 06:24 AM UTC
Michael - thanks for the words and the pic of the 815! that's exactly what I was looking at! for such an odd build, it was fun to do!

Frederick, I'm glad you like (and noticed!!) that camo! and local guy! two completely different ends of the spectrum in almost all terms, including painting! each pose their own challenges to do - but, as they say, practice pays off!!

Romain and Matt - Yes, the dio is finally getting close to being wrapped up - it needs some touch up here and there, but it's close! if its not pouring rain this weekend, I'll take it out for some good, post-worthy pics!! but for now, only the shadow (and you guys!) knows!

Cheers

Nick
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 06, 2014 - 12:40 PM UTC
Hi Nick,

Excellent range of figures and great work on them. The vehicles, dio base and building all have a really 'real feel' about them, I can almost feel the head and dust rising from the ground.

Things are looking terrific so far and I'm looking forward to further developments, 1st class work and a pleasure to follow and watch the build develop.

Cheers

Al
Stickframe
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, December 08, 2014 - 01:57 AM UTC
Hi Alan, thanks!, and, well, now, we'll all find out how it all worked out!

While the weekend here wasn't great for photos (overcast and rainy), I gave it a go anyway! These aren't in a super-rigorous order, but assembled to reflect the overall idea and elements found within the dio.

The obvious center of the idea is roadwork occurring within a village in Afghanistan. There are a few subplots going on too: there's a survey crew; a group of vocal locals chatting with engineers and giving advice!; less vocal locals having a look; and members of a sentry, keeping an eye on all of it.

As I've mentioned a few times during this post, this project has benefitted from a few other Armorama folk - all of you having a look, and:

Brian, giving us the inside news from there; Matt, coming through in a big way with casting of some 3d printed parts for the roller; and, a certain European model builder, I will refer to as "Romain" for guidance along the way!

This "Romain" character, also (generously!!) decided that in addition to giving me critique, he'd paint up a few of his own figures for the build! (yes, you'll be able to guess which ones!!)Thanks Romain!!

Ok enough - here we go:

OK - only a few to go - but, I had to note, right here, regarding the pic above, to anyone who doesn't know, Romain can paint!! wow! I had a few nice sun rays on Saturday, and happily, I caught this one! woo hoo!

Ok, back to work:

Ok, that's it! thanks for checking it out!, and again, a special tip-o-the xacto to all who pitched in on a fun build!

cheers,

Nick

fhvn4d
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 803 posts
Armorama: 564 posts
Posted: Monday, December 08, 2014 - 05:33 AM UTC
Nick, when we talked about this plan a few months back, I never ever thought it would be this awesome!!!! its simply amazing!!!!
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Monday, December 08, 2014 - 05:50 AM UTC

I'm with Brian! This dio is fantastic! Nick, you are a real champ!!

Well done Sir!!!

And superb photos too!!!

You truly are a man of many talents!

Cheers

Romain

justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Monday, December 08, 2014 - 06:28 AM UTC
Oh yeah! ... that's the stuff, Nick!

Amazing work from start to finish!

Well done indeed!

--mike
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,295 posts
Armorama: 1,191 posts
Posted: Monday, December 08, 2014 - 06:58 AM UTC
What! You're done another diorama already?!

I'm so sloooooooowwwwwwww!!!!!!!!

But seriously folks, Nick you once again have taken the cake, or the gold ring, or whatever other reward they may give for the most awesomest dioramas ever!!

The whole thing looks great, and although that comes to nobodies surprise, it is nonetheless true....well done sir Nick, well done!

Dave.

Stickframe
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, December 08, 2014 - 09:48 AM UTC
Hey guys - thanks for checking it out

Brian, yeah, you never know what direction these builds will go. Your help was great - essentially a basis or validation for the concept - thanks again, and glad you like it! If It doesn't pass your eye test, well, I'd be out of luck!

Hi Romain, thanks for the words and the participation! Your thoughts on the shades of brown really helped - there's a lot of brown in this build! In fact, all of the ground and buildings - the subtle variation between them (and numerous repaints and touch ups!!!) seems to have worked out pretty well. Who would have guessed? I'm also pleased that our "guys" can hang out together and not clearly look like "mine" and "yours" - thanks again! Your thoughts on fig painting, certainly have helped to add some credibility to these guys!

Hi Mike - as you are indeed the model-making-painting-machine these days, and you were involved throughout, I really appreciate your words! Thanks!!

Hi Dave, well I suppose you are the maestro!! I might have one more down, but yours just keeps getting better and better (yes, even post disaster!!!) bravo to you for "save of the year"!!! Thanks again btw for the "field work"!!!

Cheers,

Nick
panzerconor
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,271 posts
Armorama: 1,253 posts
Posted: Monday, December 08, 2014 - 11:16 AM UTC
Wow! You really hit everything right with this one, can't believe how great this looks. I don't know what else to say that's not just mirroring what's already been said, but...damn. This is cool hahaha

-Conor
Namabiiru
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 2,888 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Monday, December 08, 2014 - 11:53 AM UTC
Truly an astounding piece of work! Everything is fantastic; vehicles, figures, scenery. Breath-taking!

Surely you plan to turn this into a feature?

ppawlak1
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 1,973 posts
Armorama: 1,843 posts
Posted: Monday, December 08, 2014 - 01:40 PM UTC
Wow Nick that is awesome !

Great camera work also, I swear some of those shots made me feel like I was looking at real life "on the spot" photographs !

spaarndammer
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,945 posts
Armorama: 282 posts
Posted: Monday, December 08, 2014 - 01:42 PM UTC
Excellent work! So much to see. Impressive work on the vehicles too!

Jelger
matt
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, December 08, 2014 - 03:56 PM UTC
I just... um.. Yeah.... No words here... it' looks friggin REAL Awesome!!!!
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Monday, December 08, 2014 - 07:53 PM UTC
Uh oh,an unholy alliance has formed!! Nick and Romain!! Cutting a giant swath through the dio building world and leaving no enemy standing or prisoners taken!!
Seriously though Nick my man, NOICE!!!
I can only agree with all the previous accolades. Those vehicles are scary good man. Groundwork...awesome. And you have also made a quantum leap in figure painting IMHO as well. Maybe a tad bit of shine in some angles but that has been compensated for by your outstanding modis aperendi of outdoor photography and use of photoshop in the background.
Well done Sir!! That'l do that'l do
J
kurnuy
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 1,491 posts
Armorama: 997 posts
Posted: Monday, December 08, 2014 - 10:17 PM UTC
I can only express my deepest respect for you Nick ! You are a champion , a Master builder , a true wizard !

a lot of congratulations too!

Cheers !

Kurt
Stickframe
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, December 10, 2014 - 12:10 AM UTC
Hi guys - thanks for checking it out -

Conor - I appreciate your comments! thanks!

Mark, Paul and Jelger, thanks from you each! this build was fun because of the variety! I hadn't tried many of the techniques for the ground plane and buildings before, so that kept me nervous! , but, it seemed to work out OK - as for the vehicles, I really like scratch building and kit changing - so, this was perfect!

Hi Matt - yes, another contributor! the roller wheels almost steal the show! thanks! I still wonder, what could I have done to be slightly convincing without the cast parts? - who knows.....

Hi Jerry - thanks for dropping by. Yes, Romain, we were emailing ideas and updates, as for his figures, - I think:

A) he was so annoyed with my mediocre figure work that he "had" to step in!!!;

B)he just wanted a brief break from his HUE mega project!;

or C) just had a few free minutes and wanted to hop in for a quick build! - in any case, I really appreciate it!

Always room to get better at things. I'm realizing how much personal technique matters in model building - for any part of it...

Just because I love one way, doesn't mean anyone else will and visa versa, just keep practicing and do what works best for you. So, with the figures, two constants I can cite for helping me to get better at it are: good paint brushes! and good paint! I guess these sound obvious, but I tried using the paint I use for vehicles (with an air brush, where it works great) on figures with cheap hand brushes....uhh, yeah....not great.

So, on we go.

Hi Kurt - thanks very much! that means plenty coming from you! I really appreciate your willingness to go for it! with great results - thanks!

Cheers

Nick

mvaiano
Visit this Community
Sao Paulo, Brazil
KitMaker: 1,054 posts
Armorama: 1,050 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 10, 2014 - 12:23 AM UTC
Hi Nick!

To me, your dio is the best work ever here in Armorama.

Fantastic, superb!

Cheers!

Marco
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Wednesday, December 10, 2014 - 12:29 AM UTC

Hi Nick,

one thing is well established....I did not contribute figures because yours are poor!!

Your figures are not different from mine....they blend perfectly...and we could ask our fellow members to spot the "others"....and you would see that they would have difficulties!!!

It was sort of an impulse....and I liked it very much! Of course I had to assemble and paint them secretely, as Leo might be opposed to me "wasting" my modelling time on topics outside HUE!!

It was pure fun and an honour to be part of such a superb diorama project!!!

Cheers

Romain

matt
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 10, 2014 - 04:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Matt - yes, another contributor! the roller wheels almost steal the show! thanks! I still wonder, what could I have done to be slightly convincing without the cast parts? - who knows.....

And I'm pretty sure you'd have lost your sanity had I not convinced you to go you cast route!
GidGar
Visit this Community
Alaska, United States
KitMaker: 47 posts
Armorama: 26 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 10, 2014 - 11:10 AM UTC
Nick,

I don't post much, but your work demands respect and attention.
Thanks for sharing.
Impressive and inspiring!

Gideon
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 11, 2014 - 12:56 AM UTC
Hi Nick,

I go back often through your entire build log. And just for giggles, I took a crack at dissecting your work in order to list all of the disciplines you've incorporated into your masterpiece — a lot! So many, it makes me dizzy!!!

Mad respect!

—mike
Stickframe
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, December 11, 2014 - 10:24 AM UTC
Hi guys, thanks for having a look!

Marco, first, thanks for the nice words! But, they're pretty big! There are so many great builds being done! I'm glad you've enjoyed checking out mine too!

Hi Romain, I think you know i was just having fun!! Your fingerprints are all over this, and well, most of the projects I've posted here! I think you and the armorama "dio team" are all great to "work" with!!

Well Matt, if you didn't come up with your idea, I think I'd still be cutting glueing bits of styrene, brass or whatever I could find to make those parts!! Thanks again!

Hi Gideon, thanks for the positive words! I'm glad you took a look! And that you've liked it!

Hi Mike, I think you've nailed the fun of building a dio!! As a builder, you can do as much or little as you wish! If you get so bold as to try new stuff, well, time to start looking at new materials, approaches and techniques! You can make it as hard or easy as you wish!! That's the best part!!!

Now, time to get moving on the next build!

Cheers guys, I'm glad you've all been a part of this build!

Nick.
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Friday, December 12, 2014 - 03:00 PM UTC
Hi Nick,

Really excellent work I enjoyed the build a lot and the end result is 1st class. Terrific work.

Hopefully you'll send it in as a feature so it doesn't disappear.

Cheers

Al