Campaigns: Completed Campaigns
Campaigns that are completed should be grouped here.
Hosted by Richard S.
The Green Machine
Bluestab
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,160 posts
Armorama: 1,906 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 01, 2015 - 07:46 AM UTC
Update on the 1/72 M4A1 Sherman.

Added the hatches and tools.

Top view...sorry for blurriness.

Turret pieces. I thought I had a picture of the turret assembled but I don't.

Rear view with the assembled turret in place. The kit instructions would have you place the spare track holders on the rear storage rack. I placed them on the sides. I also moved the crank lever from the rear deck to underneath the rear rack. The kit didn't come with a cleaning rod.

Tracks and skirts on. The tracks went together well for a heat and melt the pins type. I don't particularly like my Shermans with the skirts on them. The kit has the rear sections of the skirts molded to the body.

The kit is basically assembled and ready for paint. The build hasn't been bad. I'm not a fan of this scale and probably won't change from 1/35 any time soon. No slight intended to the Braille crowd...it's just not my thing. I also noticed that this is a late M4a1 with the oval loader's hatch.
I'm thinking about adding weight to the tank and maybe using it as a paperweight. The suspension feels like it can take a bit of weight.
scaleyback
Visit this Community
Louth, Ireland
KitMaker: 29 posts
Armorama: 25 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 01, 2015 - 03:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Very cool, a fellow braille scaler. I will be following closely, looking forward to your progress and maybe learning some new techniques.

Heh, I still consider myself a novice so I'm not sure I have any techniques you guys haven't seen before. Actually, I will probably be learning something myself with this build. Right after my last post I found there are quite a few add on parts for this kit, which is a rare thing for us braille scalers. I've ordered a turned metal Bushmaster and a bit of PE. I've never used etch before so that should be interesting. My start is delayed as the parts will take a few days to come from Germany.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 01, 2015 - 05:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Very cool, a fellow braille scaler. I will be following closely, looking forward to your progress and maybe learning some new techniques.

Heh, I still consider myself a novice so I'm not sure I have any techniques you guys haven't seen before. Actually, I will probably be learning something myself with this build. Right after my last post I found there are quite a few add on parts for this kit, which is a rare thing for us braille scalers. I've ordered a turned metal Bushmaster and a bit of PE. I've never used etch before so that should be interesting. My start is delayed as the parts will take a few days to come from Germany.

Best of luck, when it comes to etch in 72. The parts for 35 scale are small enough to make me go blind.
scaleyback
Visit this Community
Louth, Ireland
Posted: Saturday, September 12, 2015 - 06:15 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Best of luck, when it comes to etch in 72. The parts for 35 scale are small enough to make me go blind.

You weren't kidding! This will definitely be a job for a 'dry' night, with glasses on and magnifier in position.

I made good progress yesterday. This is a nice little kit with minimal cleanup required. Just as well because there are a lot of parts to be cut from the sprue. I couldn't help feeling this was done to up the parts count as a lot of them could have been moulded on. The carpet monster had a couple of snacks, but luckily nothing vital.

As this is my first time using etch some tips would be very welcome. I'm planning on using two razor blades to bend. What about adhesive? Superglue, or varnish? I've read both can work.

This will be a Desert Storm vehicle. For paint I'm thinking Humbrol 83 Ochre.
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 12, 2015 - 06:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

This will be a Desert Storm vehicle. For paint I'm thinking Humbrol 83 Ochre.

Humbrol 83 is too yellow for US Desert Storm though is perfect for Iraqi armor. Try 63 Sand.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 12, 2015 - 07:26 PM UTC
Kevin: For the scale you are building, I would recommend using a pair of tweezers to bend the etch. Any should work. However, fine tip would be best.
BMCTomcat
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 73 posts
Armorama: 56 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 12, 2015 - 08:29 PM UTC
Hi
I'm new on this forum ..
Can I still join this campaign?
I know it's too late, but there are still about 3 months to complete ..
Tamiya M3A2 Half Track will be my choice ..
Thanks ..
scaleyback
Visit this Community
Louth, Ireland
Posted: Saturday, September 12, 2015 - 09:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Humbrol 83 is too yellow for US Desert Storm though is perfect for Iraqi armor. Try 63 Sand.

Noted. I have that in my stash too so I can get started ASAP.

Quoted Text

For the scale you are building, I would recommend using a pair of tweezers to bend the etch. Any should work. However, fine tip would be best.

There is a piece on the fret that I won't be using. It a stowage basket that I've seen on modern Bradleys but not from this era. I'll use that for practice.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 12, 2015 - 10:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi
I'm new on this forum ..
Can I still join this campaign?
I know it's too late, but there are still about 3 months to complete ..
Tamiya M3A2 Half Track will be my choice ..
Thanks ..

Of course you can.
BMCTomcat
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, September 13, 2015 - 07:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Of course you can.

thanks ..
here's the kit ..

Hammerhead11
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 14 posts
Armorama: 14 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 13, 2015 - 07:57 AM UTC
Welcome! Can't wait to see your work.
scaleyback
Visit this Community
Louth, Ireland
Posted: Saturday, September 19, 2015 - 02:24 PM UTC

Well, my first foray into photoetch wasn't half the ordeal I expected. Tweezers and a steel rule worked fine for 90 degree bends. I couldn't get the curve and fit right on the turret basket though and went with the kit one. So, really all I have are guards for the antenna and driver's periscope. Not sure I'd bother with PE again, at least at this scale.

The metal barrel (from RB) looks great though.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Monday, September 21, 2015 - 12:03 AM UTC
As the Abrams is getting bogged down, I have decided to submit a second build. This is Academy's M-18. I can't give this kit away, so why not build it? I am also in the process of moving and want to make sure I complete this campaign.
All of you are doing great jobs, with very interesting results.

metooshelah
Visit this Community
Jerusalem, Israel
KitMaker: 1,507 posts
Armorama: 1,304 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 06, 2015 - 06:04 AM UTC
I'm in, still deciding on subject
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 08, 2015 - 08:59 PM UTC
Mostly assembled. Notice the mare on top. I turned it over a little too soon. I will sand it down and re-spray, tomorrow. It will be a few days, before my paints arrive. I will be covering most of the open turret, with canvas. The interior is not that attractive. This is likely do to the instructions' poor illustration.

Kevin: Very nice looking Bradley.
mechaman
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 61 posts
Armorama: 57 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 10, 2015 - 08:09 AM UTC
Time to blow the dust off of this kit. Here is my entry.
ltb073
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,662 posts
Armorama: 3,078 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 14, 2015 - 05:53 AM UTC
Hi Guys
Finally got around to starting my build the other night
 photo P1090476.jpg
and what it looks like tonight
 photo P1090477.jpg
Bluestab
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, October 21, 2015 - 08:50 AM UTC
I'm still in but I have lost all interest in my Braille Sherman. I'm still going to try to finish it...it just needs paint really. There's just not a lot of work to build the thing and I kind of feel bad to make it my submission. I'm also building a pair of Gulf War Humvees...I started these a couple of days ago. I might post the progress of those.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 21, 2015 - 02:26 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm still in but I have lost all interest in my Braille Sherman. I'm still going to try to finish it...it just needs paint really. There's just not a lot of work to build the thing and I kind of feel bad to make it my submission. I'm also building a pair of Gulf War Humvees...I started these a couple of days ago. I might post the progress of those.

Alex: I will need to see photos of the Humvees, before construction was started.
PrickleHead
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 338 posts
Armorama: 121 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 21, 2015 - 05:12 PM UTC
Getting started on my Paladin:

Bluestab
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, October 22, 2015 - 01:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Alex: I will need to see photos of the Humvees, before construction was started.

No problem. I've got photos from before I started. The humvees were my initial choice for this campaign, then I figured it would be a good motivation to build the Sherman. For the sake of full disclosure the Humvees are now being built for a group build for another model site...it actually started a few days ago. If there is an issue with that I won't post them here. This is all gravy ...a supplement for the Sherman.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 22, 2015 - 03:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

No problem. I've got photos from before I started. The humvees were my initial choice for this campaign, then I figured it would be a good motivation to build the Sherman. For the sake of full disclosure the Humvees are now being built for a group build for another model site...it actually started a few days ago. If there is an issue with that I won't post them here. This is all gravy ...a supplement for the Sherman.

If you plan on finishing the Sherman, I have no problem with the Humvee.
scaleyback
Visit this Community
Louth, Ireland
Posted: Friday, October 23, 2015 - 06:28 PM UTC
Haven't taken any pics in a while due to terrible lighting in my den in the evening. Thought I'd take the opportunity of being in here in daytime to give a quick update. Have paint and decals done, now right in the middle of applying some washes.

Steve, I think you were right with Humbrol 63 for the paint. The colour looks spot on to me. I did have issues with coverage, applying many coats, but I got there eventually.

Bluestab
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, October 24, 2015 - 08:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

If you plan on finishing the Sherman, I have no problem with the Humvee.

Okay. I just didn't feel comfortable submitting just the Sherman. The assembly was nothing...the real challenge will be the painting because I don't build braille. I'm actually setting up to paint right now. I figured the Humvees would be alright because they are add-ons. I just wanted to make sure there wouldn't be an issue.
BMCTomcat
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, October 24, 2015 - 10:57 PM UTC
too busy few weeks ago ..
let's finish up this campaign ..

Quoted Text

Welcome! Can't wait to see your work.

thanks Brett ..