Armor/AFV: Modern Armor
Modern armor in general.
Hosted by Darren Baker
3D printed kits SPM. Modern/futuristic armor.
amoz02t
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 1,383 posts
Armorama: 1,281 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 15, 2015 - 02:27 PM UTC

samofptr
Visit this Community
Moscow, Russia
KitMaker: 130 posts
Armorama: 130 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 15, 2015 - 05:00 PM UTC
Brent, thanks for the comment, the opinion of professional is most valuable! Thank you for your photo collection by ITAS on the http://www.hmmwvinscale.com/apps/photos/album?albumid=11839569 ! I took out a lot of useful information
Stuart, I'm glad you liked the model, is now the scene “Humvee TOW in Mosul, Iraq July 22, 2003” will look like complete

I can make a model of the LBB battery and charger, this elements of the TOW system. These parts are arranged in the luggage compartment of Humvee and not visible from the outside. What are the views of modelers, such details are necessary or not?
amoz02t
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 15, 2015 - 05:55 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Brent, thanks for the comment, the opinion of professional is most valuable! Thank you for your photo collection by ITAS on the http://www.hmmwvinscale.com/apps/photos/album?albumid=11839569 ! I took out a lot of useful information

I can make a model of the LBB battery and charger, this elements of the TOW system. These parts are arranged in the luggage compartment of Humvee and not visible from the outside. What are the views of modelers, such details are necessary or not?

I am interested. Seems like the LBB battery is visible if used on the TOW tripod mount right?
woody6968
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 454 posts
Armorama: 380 posts
Posted: Friday, October 16, 2015 - 06:59 PM UTC
hello there
id like to surgest a set of modern us and uk commc boxs you find inside vehicles i.e. loud speakers and junction boxs . these items are way to hard for me to scratch build in 1/35 scale so would be a great help . id also love to see a few sets of tank crews relaxing by or on their vehicles eating and drinking and basically chilling out . thank you . Ian
sgtsauer
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 2,605 posts
Armorama: 1,814 posts
Posted: Friday, October 16, 2015 - 07:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Stuart, I'm glad you liked the model, is now the scene “Humvee TOW in Mosul, Iraq July 22, 2003” will look like complete

The battery/charger is an important detail as they are still connectrd to the TOW sysytem when it is vehicle mounted.

What would be ideal is if you did the LBB and included the mounting bracket for the interior. The internal mounting is different in the M1121 as compared to the M1167.
amoz02t
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Friday, October 16, 2015 - 07:34 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The battery/charger is an important detail as they are still connectrd to the TOW sysytem when it is vehicle mounted.

What would be ideal is if you did the LBB and included the mounting bracket for the interior. The internal mounting is different in the M1121 as compared to the M1167.

Brent-Any photos? You can only guess how much I am looking forward to your adventures in August of next year to possibly share more details. Thank you for your service and contributions to the hobby. Your efforts are appreciated as are Peter's skills here! Thank you.
samofptr
Visit this Community
Moscow, Russia
Posted: Tuesday, November 10, 2015 - 02:10 AM UTC
The new sets added on Shapeways.
TOW Weapon System upgrade kits:
- Lithium-ion Battery Box (LBB) with Vehicle Mounted Charger (VMC), + x2 in set;
- TOW upgrade full kit - Improved Target Acquisition Subsustem (ITAS) with Position Attitude Determination Subsystem (PADS), TOW Fire Control System (FCS), Lithium-ion Battery Box (LBB), Vehicle Mounted Charger (VMC).
http://www.shapeways.com/product/CY9LM5Q6N/1-35-spm-35-027-tow-04-tow-upgrade-full-kit?li=shop-results&optionId=58320998
Heckler & Koch 45 Compact Tactical Pistol, in 1/18, 1/16, 1/6 scales, and keychain

http://www.shapeways.com/product/B8WCHFWSX/1-6-spm-6-001-hk45-02-h-k-45c-suppressor-version?li=search-results-1&optionId=58235751
spm_hk45_sc_2
spm_hk45_sc_1
spm_TOW_ITAS_2

Ian, to commc boxes, probably I do such details a little later. According to the tank crews, I have taken note of, but I can not promise it

Brent, the LBB mounting bracket for the interior looks on schemes as a simple frame (if I understand correctly), I think the easiest way is to cut such a piece from a plastic.
knewton
Visit this Community
New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,217 posts
Armorama: 1,092 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 10, 2015 - 02:53 AM UTC
Hello Peter,

great stuff as ever, I can use the suppressed pistol, thank you!

Any word on the assault trooper with Ironman ammo pack, please?

Kylie
amoz02t
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 10, 2015 - 09:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The new sets added on Shapeways.
TOW Weapon System upgrade kits:
- Lithium-ion Battery Box (LBB) with Vehicle Mounted Charger (VMC), + x2 in set;
- TOW upgrade full kit - Improved Target Acquisition Subsustem (ITAS) with Position Attitude Determination Subsystem (PADS), TOW Fire Control System (FCS), Lithium-ion Battery Box (LBB), Vehicle Mounted Charger (VMC).
http://www.shapeways.com/product/CY9LM5Q6N/1-35-spm-35-027-tow-04-tow-upgrade-full-kit?li=shop-results&optionId=58320998
Heckler & Koch 45 Compact Tactical Pistol, in 1/18, 1/16, 1/6 scales, and keychain

http://www.shapeways.com/product/B8WCHFWSX/1-6-spm-6-001-hk45-02-h-k-45c-suppressor-version?li=search-results-1&optionId=58235751
spm_hk45_sc_2
spm_hk45_sc_1
spm_TOW_ITAS_2

Ian, to commc boxes, probably I do such details a little later. According to the tank crews, I have taken note of, but I can not promise it

Brent, the LBB mounting bracket for the interior looks on schemes as a simple frame (if I understand correctly), I think the easiest way is to cut such a piece from a plastic.

You are a busy man! Most impressive
WXerock
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 672 posts
Armorama: 668 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 10, 2015 - 09:27 AM UTC
Peter,

I just received the TOW ITAS with PADS and the FCS. Upon a quick look through my trusty Optivisor they look fantastic. I ordered them in the highest resolution "Frosted Extreme Detail." I am going to clean them, build them and throw a coat of Gunze primer on them. I will photograph them before and after the primer and upload the results. The parts have very few visible printing lines on them. I can't see how they will require much in the way of prep before the primer. Now I have to buy the new battery and charger! If I had known they were coming I would have waited and bought the set! These are going in an M1045 I'm working on from the 101AD in a build log.
Removed by original poster on 11/11/15 - 12:10:12 (GMT).
Removed by original poster on 11/11/15 - 12:19:45 (GMT).
Removed by original poster on 11/11/15 - 12:23:26 (GMT).
Removed by original poster on 11/11/15 - 12:28:34 (GMT).
samofptr
Visit this Community
Moscow, Russia
Posted: Tuesday, November 10, 2015 - 05:52 PM UTC
Kylie, on the assault trooper with Ironman ammo pack – 1/16 scale figure available on ant-shop.com
http://ant-shop.com/index.php/120-707-assault-trooper.html#.VkMzi9LhBGE

And Mario made excellent Built Review of 1/35 scale Trooper w M240L & MICO Pack:
https://armorama.kitmaker.net/review/11680
I also added a large format images (2500x2500), I hope it will be useful for assembly:
spm_MicoPackAssaultTrooper_4L
spm_MicoPackAssaultTrooper_3L
spm_MicoPackAssaultTrooper_2L
spm_MicoPackAssaultTrooper_1L
For options of painting of figure, I found a photo with soldiers in black color uniform (U.S. Army Soldiers, assigned to 1st Battalion, 4th Infantry Regiment). It's easier than making camouflage color.
React to Contact
Removed by original poster on 11/11/15 - 13:56:00 (GMT).
Removed by original poster on 11/11/15 - 15:48:55 (GMT).
Removed by original poster on 11/11/15 - 15:52:28 (GMT).
amoz02t
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 10, 2015 - 08:08 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Peter,

I will photograph them before and after the primer and upload the results. The parts have very few visible printing lines on them. I can't see how they will require much in the way of prep before the primer. Now I have to buy the new battery and charger! If I had known they were coming I would have waited and bought the set! These are going in an M1045 I'm working on from the 101AD in a build log.

Eric- Really looking forward to your part photos and your Humvees from this event! Please share what you are finding on the 2003 Mosul TOW shooters. From what I can tell, there were only two Humvees there with TOWs, one to the West (without front doors) and one to the East (with doors). The Kiowa video from the event below shows the deployment from above about noon. Even shows a TOW shot from the Western truck at the 2:14 mark. Following this closely and wishing you all the best! – S

https://youtu.be/G-6HJVHVa4s " TARGET="_blank"> https://youtu.be/G-6HJVHVa4s
WXerock
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 672 posts
Armorama: 668 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 11, 2015 - 06:58 AM UTC
S, here is a link to the build log so far. Not much more than photos of a few accessories. I build slow. Thanks for the link to the videos. I have seen them in the past, but they warrant further study. I am doing both an M1043 and M1045. The 1043 will be one without the passenger door and with a brush guard. The 1045 will probably be the one with all of the doors and the "H" beam front bumper. That said I am doing them a bit generic, not really meant to model any specific vehicle. I wish I could come up with photos of the inside of the 1045. They are hard to come by.

Regards,

Eric

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/239779
Trisaw
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4,105 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 11, 2015 - 11:39 AM UTC
The soldiers wearing the black uniforms act as Opposing Forces, as stated in the photo caption (by clicking on the photo). As such, they don't wear standard U.S. Army uniforms.
samofptr
Visit this Community
Moscow, Russia
Posted: Thursday, November 12, 2015 - 09:27 PM UTC
Peter, thanks for the information by the uniform, I just thought it is the "night operation"

Eric, thank you for the feedback by the print quality of the SW, I try to monitor for their quality.
To TOW batteries, I have done these models by the advice of Stuart and Brent. I had not known too, that models were coming
For convenience of modellers, I made a few options of sets:
- TOW upgrade full kit – ITAS with PADS, FCS, LBB, VMC
And separate sets, as well as options «x2 in set»:
- ITAS with PADS
- Fire Control System (FCS)
- Lithium-ion Battery Box (LBB)
- Vehicle Mounted Charger (VMC)
This will help make the items in any desired combination.
amoz02t
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Thursday, November 12, 2015 - 10:04 PM UTC
young_sven
Visit this Community
Skåne, Sweden
KitMaker: 749 posts
Armorama: 743 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 03, 2015 - 09:14 PM UTC
I really hate to put a damper on all the fantastic work that Peter is doing on the design of these items, but I placed order for some Humvee items from Shapeways (received them today), and the quality of the printed the parts is nowhere close to the quality of the drawings. Even the completely flat parts (Humvee amour shields costing 37 Euro) are extremely grainy on the surface.

This is despite the fact that I ordered the "extreme detail" at extra cost.

The Humvee 36 Euro dashboard is very grainy on all surfaces (I have high doubts that this will disappear under several coats of primer/paint), and I also doubt that the intended detail will show through as intended due to this.

I am not sure what to do now other than to contact Shapeways, but from what I understand they reserve the right to claim that the parts are not printable at quality expected and that I will have to live with it.

Sorry for the negative review, but sadly I am really disappointed about this and over 80 Euro with shipping is a huge hit on my wallet for parts that might turn out to be unusable.

sgtsauer
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 2,605 posts
Armorama: 1,814 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 03, 2015 - 09:26 PM UTC
I was extremely excited when all of the humvee parts started to come out and I was ready to buy all of them. But I have read too many bad stories of transactions with Shapeways. I refuse to spend so much money to get a bunch of high dollar substandard products. For the prices being charged, the molding and part quality should be flawless.