Campaigns: Completed Campaigns
Campaigns that are completed should be grouped here.
Hosted by Richard S.
Leopardmania 50 replacement campaign
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 11:54 PM UTC
If we do get the extension that'd be great news for me! Oh, and I am currently getting test-prints of some replacement TC periscope parts for all those Italeri/Revell kits in my stash, so I'll post pics when they arrive. (I did a replacement ring/scopes external, plus a ring of scope bodies for the inside of the hatch, with both the TRP for the A1-3 & A5, and a Peri version for the A4. Been a busy day!)
Nito74
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,386 posts
Armorama: 4,727 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 25, 2016 - 04:39 AM UTC
ENDS: August 1st, 2016

Extension granted !!
dexter059
Visit this Community
Region de Valparaiso, Chile
KitMaker: 1,569 posts
Armorama: 1,385 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 25, 2016 - 05:28 AM UTC
Excellent news! I may be tempted to start another one
mshackleton
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 559 posts
Armorama: 517 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 25, 2016 - 01:13 PM UTC

Quoted Text

ENDS: August 1st, 2016

Extension granted !!

Thank you John!!

A note to everyone who has not been able to finish in time - we have been granted an extension to the end of the Campaign.

1 AUGUST 2016.
BlackWidow
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 1,732 posts
Armorama: 326 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 26, 2016 - 11:16 PM UTC

Quoted Text

.... All original entries may be valid to continue work plus anyone else who wants to join, we can include Leopard II this time ....

Cheers

Yes, Klaus, great idea! When? I surely will join as I want to build a polish 2A5 next year ....

Torsten
Thudius
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 1,194 posts
Armorama: 1,077 posts
Posted: Friday, May 27, 2016 - 12:03 AM UTC
Hmmm...maybe I can get something done after all.

Kimmo
dexter059
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, May 27, 2016 - 04:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

.... All original entries may be valid to continue work plus anyone else who wants to join, we can include Leopard II this time ....

Cheers

Yes, Klaus, great idea! When? I surely will join as I want to build a polish 2A5 next year ....

Torsten

Excellent, after this one finishes I'll submit the proposal...could be named "Leopardmania 2, Return of the Cats"

Vielen Gruß
bm4247
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 88 posts
Armorama: 60 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 29, 2016 - 09:16 PM UTC
Fantastic news. I got caught up in real life and never went near my bench for three months. This will allow me to get my Leopard finished.
Thank you.
barkingdigger
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 29, 2016 - 09:39 PM UTC
Well, with the extension my own Leopard should get done! Got some bench-time on it this weekend, so the hull is mostly there - just need to sort out a few details like tow cable (need to make from picture wire) and a new travel lock on the glacis (Beob has no main gun). Started the turret too, blanking off the mantlet and doing a few basics - there's a lot more to come.

In the meantime I managed to CAD up some turret details. I needed a new TC MG ring and periscopes, and while I was at it I did the non-A5 version for all those other Italeri/Revell kits in my stash. I also did some interior parts for the scopes as seen through the open TC hatch! And another big issue with Italeri/Revell Leo 1s and 2s is the spring for the Loader's hatch - I did these both open and closed. Most of this is redundant if you have any of the newer Meng or Takom kits, but I'll need them for all my "heritage fleet". And while Mike's Leo1 upgrade set looks great, it doesn't address the wonky periscopes on those older generation kits...

The cross-shaped thing with the TC rings is a hole-drilling template, designed for the pegs under the periscope heads. (It drops into the open hatch, and takes a 1mm drill bit at each of the four holes.)

I am still waiting on test-prints of these, in case there are any adjustments needed. (And I know PE would get a thinner ring etc, but these should at least equal the kit parts for finesse...)
keo
Visit this Community
Nordjylland, Denmark
KitMaker: 613 posts
Armorama: 508 posts
Posted: Monday, May 30, 2016 - 02:07 AM UTC
I'm getting ready for painting. However, with the time extension I've decided to creat a look through drivers compartment as well as a crew actually cleaning the barrel.

dexter059
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, May 30, 2016 - 04:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Well, with the extension my own Leopard should get done! Got some bench-time on it this weekend, so the hull is mostly there - just need to sort out a few details like tow cable (need to make from picture wire) and a new travel lock on the glacis (Beob has no main gun). Started the turret too, blanking off the mantlet and doing a few basics - there's a lot more to come.

In the meantime I managed to CAD up some turret details. I needed a new TC MG ring and periscopes, and while I was at it I did the non-A5 version for all those other Italeri/Revell kits in my stash. I also did some interior parts for the scopes as seen through the open TC hatch! And another big issue with Italeri/Revell Leo 1s and 2s is the spring for the Loader's hatch - I did these both open and closed. Most of this is redundant if you have any of the newer Meng or Takom kits, but I'll need them for all my "heritage fleet". And while Mike's Leo1 upgrade set looks great, it doesn't address the wonky periscopes on those older generation kits...

The cross-shaped thing with the TC rings is a hole-drilling template, designed for the pegs under the periscope heads. (It drops into the open hatch, and takes a 1mm drill bit at each of the four holes.)

I am still waiting on test-prints of these, in case there are any adjustments needed. (And I know PE would get a thinner ring etc, but these should at least equal the kit parts for finesse...)

Wow! I can use one of those for one I have in the stash!

Great work Tom!

Also nice looking Leopard Kenneth!
Armored76
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 1,615 posts
Armorama: 1,500 posts
Posted: Monday, May 30, 2016 - 12:15 PM UTC
Great news on the extension! Thanks for that!
Armored76
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Saturday, June 04, 2016 - 09:35 PM UTC
A bit more done on mine over the weekend. Getting there bit by bit

barkingdigger
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, June 10, 2016 - 06:05 PM UTC
Looking good, Cristian!

I made progress on my own build - the hull is nearly ready for paint (save for some mantlet plugs & chains). The traverse lock was a fun challenge to scratch, and the tow-cables reflect the arrangement in photos from Mike's books. (Drilling out the cable-ends was fun!)

The turret has been started, with the changes to the mantlet done, and some proper attachments for the applique armour panels where they are most visible. There's still a lot of work to do up here...

With luck and a following wind I may be throwing paint by month's end!
mshackleton
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, June 10, 2016 - 06:15 PM UTC
Hi Tom. his is loking good. What about all of the Leopard C2-lookalike boxes on the back of the turret?
barkingdigger
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, June 10, 2016 - 06:21 PM UTC
Hi Mike,

Haven't got to them yet! I can't find any spares, so will have to scratch them up - so I needed the basket built first to work out the angles. Lots of the more fiddly detail has yet to be added, like the searchlight hooks on the mantlet, but that's partly for their own safety while I wrestled with the armour mounts.

BYW, how did they compensate for the turret weight imbalance when they deleted the main gun? The plastic is certainly tail-heavy - I assume the real thing was too. But there's no sign of added ballast lumps up front, and it would be a shame to waste all that free space inside the turret...
mshackleton
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, June 10, 2016 - 07:22 PM UTC
Hi Tom. I can't answer that one I'm afraid. With two armoured mantlets at the front and extended boxes at the back, I can only imagine that the balance is much better without the main gun:-) it would be nice to see interior pics but I've never found any.
barkingdigger
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, June 14, 2016 - 09:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Tom. his is loking good. What about all of the Leopard C2-lookalike boxes on the back of the turret?

Hi Mike, made progress on the boxes - need to take pics though. It worked out better than modifying the C2 boxes, as I picked up a few oddities.

BTW the antennas and plugs arrived today - thanks!
barkingdigger
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, June 19, 2016 - 09:25 PM UTC
...and today I finally got time for the camera! First up - the mantlet welds, from 0.005" strips, sanded almost flat:

Then the new bins:

They aren't glued on yet, and I still need to make the long box on the left side (plus add a ton of details to the turret) but it's getting closer to completion!
LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 4,085 posts
Armorama: 3,917 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 19, 2016 - 09:28 PM UTC
Nice work on the mantlet and the turret bins.
barkingdigger
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, June 19, 2016 - 09:33 PM UTC
Thanks! Just hope I get more build-time this week...
barkingdigger
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, June 23, 2016 - 03:40 PM UTC
This week's progress is the rectangular box on the left side of the turret. Came out better than I hoped, given that I was "measuring" from photos...

The final piece of "conversion" is the antenna mount on the left plated-over rangefinder socket - the rest should be straight-forward kit assembly. So hopefully paint will start being thrown by month's end!

(Hope this takes everyone's minds off the current UK politics - we live in interesting times indeed...)
barkingdigger
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, June 25, 2016 - 09:33 PM UTC
Seeing as I'm a lone voice here at the moment, let me show y'all some of the printed goodies that turned up at my door this week!

I've put them up at my Shapeways Shop in a number of configurations that should be useful to most Leopard modellers. The full sets are the most economical for anyone with an old Italeri/Revell kit, but I offer the individual parts in case anyone wants to add internal details to the otherwise nifty recent Takom & Meng releases.
barkingdigger
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, June 30, 2016 - 05:04 PM UTC
Feels like I'm on a monologue, but anyway here's the latest on my artillery observation vehicle. I'm ready to paint it, if the weather ever dries up so I can spray a primer coat! (Halford's grey auto primer is my rattle-can of choice...) The only missing details are the mirrors, but those come after painting.

Armored76
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Thursday, June 30, 2016 - 05:11 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Feels like I'm on a monologue, but anyway here's the latest on my artillery observation vehicle.

It must be because everybody is left speechless! Seriously, I'm absolutely amazed by the idea itself and by how well you have implemented it. Great work! I'm surelly following this with a lot of interest.