Campaigns: Completed Campaigns
Campaigns that are completed should be grouped here.
Hosted by Richard S.
Leopardmania 50 replacement campaign
Stoker
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
KitMaker: 58 posts
Armorama: 27 posts
Posted: Monday, February 08, 2016 - 06:15 AM UTC
Hi Everybody
I've just signed up with Takom's C2 MEXAS. I'm building it straight from the box with no aftermarket parts.

I've got a start on the hull and it looks like its going to be a fun build.

Ron
BlackWidow
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 1,732 posts
Armorama: 326 posts
Posted: Monday, February 08, 2016 - 09:37 PM UTC
Here's another small update from me. Yesterday evening I finished assembling the upper hull and the turret ....

.... this is just a dry fit test ....

.... if I remember correctly, this form is from 1979 and the fitting is next to perfect. No major issue yet. Next step will be the primer and afterwards Gelboliv RAL 6014 (Revell No. 42). I should be ready with the major painting this weekend.

Torsten
bwiber
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 436 posts
Armorama: 320 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 09, 2016 - 08:28 AM UTC
Hi all,

Well, things have progressed a bit on the BARV.... Have the running gear as done as I can without paint. Speaking of that, any suggestions for the paint color to use? My experience is mostly WWII German, but I don't think DAK Yellow will do it on this build...

Leopard Club road wheels waiting for color and to be mounted...

Frame for the section of the work platform on the side of the hull. The brass wire will be covered so that it doesn't show up, but I think the strength is needed.

There is a stiffening plastic on the back of the thin strip which also gives the PE a ledge to sit on. It is notched at the brass rods to allow it all to go together as it should. Which results in this....

Need to finish up the framing at the end closest to the camera and then move to the other side.Just hope that I don't have to order any more as it takes a while to cross the Atlantic...

Later,
Bob
BlackWidow
Visit this Community
European Union
Posted: Saturday, February 13, 2016 - 04:37 PM UTC
My update for this week ....
No, it's not UN and no winter exercise, it's just white primer ....

.... Friday evening was airbrush time. RAL 6014 Gelboliv all over with Revell 42 ....

.... and another test fitting for fun ....

.... now comes the detail painting and assembling the machine gun and rear view mirror, which I want in a "laid down" position. With a little weathering with pastel chalk this Leo should be ready to roar by the end of next week ....

Torsten
jet
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 306 posts
Armorama: 295 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 14, 2016 - 01:45 AM UTC
Looking good guys I've been meaning to update but I have some stuff going on and work prevents me. I will update as soon a I am able.
LeftyDan
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 77 posts
Armorama: 76 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 14, 2016 - 09:45 AM UTC
I'm in. I picked up a Meng Leopard A3/A4 off the Squadron sale. (been meaning to pick up a Meng kit)

SGTJKJ
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
Armorama: 4,677 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 16, 2016 - 03:03 AM UTC
Some great builds in this tread.

I am considering the Gepard for this campaign. Would this be alright? I assume so, since it uses the leopard chassis?

bwiber
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, February 16, 2016 - 03:16 AM UTC
Well, the build has moved ahead a bit more.... I finally got the work deck frame in place.... It was an interesting build, and one that I thought that this would be the hardest part to install.....

That is the front of the work deck where it goes in front of the cabin. The funny thing is that once I got it cut to size along the sides and propped up so that it was level it glued in place with no issues. It even stayed level with only 2 contact points! This is a major hurtle out of the way.... and it gives this....

Yes, I know that there is a small part of the side rail missing. It fell off when I was installing the nose piece, Nice thing is that the supports are braced with brass wire so they are really rigid, and that is a good thing.

Just another view of the front frame... the nice thing is that the push assembly will just slide in place under the work deck. Gee, it all works like is was designed this way.....

The front rail is very rigid now that the supports are in place. They were the hardest part of the build to put into place so far!

Well, I suppose I can start working on putting the actual decking in place....

Later....
mshackleton
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 559 posts
Armorama: 517 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 16, 2016 - 11:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Some great builds in this tread.

I am considering the Gepard for this campaign. Would this be alright? I assume so, since it uses the leopard chassis?

Yes, of course. Any version of any Leopard 1 apart from WOTIFs. Gepard is perfect.

Apparently the new Takom Gepard will be released in March.
bwiber
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, February 18, 2016 - 10:26 AM UTC
Played for a while, well a couple days, and finally got the work deck in place. That was the one part of the model that really had me worried, and for the most part it wasn't as bad as I figured it would be. Is it perfect? Not in the least, but it is adequate....

The cabin even slides in and locks into place with no issues, the push assembly slides into place and it looks the part. So I am happy....

A few final details on the work deck and then I pick an end and start working to the other end doing the missing details, etc.

Later.....
LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 4,085 posts
Armorama: 3,917 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 18, 2016 - 10:31 AM UTC
That's some tricky looking framework Bob. Really quality work.
mshackleton
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, February 18, 2016 - 12:58 PM UTC
Brilliant:-)
bwiber
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, February 18, 2016 - 10:55 PM UTC
Jason, Michael.....
Thanks for the comments, definitely helps to keep this build moving forward. Although I think it has crossed the peak and now is on the downhill slide to completion... I hope so anyway.

I do have a question.... about the color. Not sure what color to use on it. I am leaning towards the green that Jason used for his Leopard 1A2... would this be in the ballpark? Any suggestions would be helpful.

I have ordered some Vallejo - Acrylic-Polyurethane US Olive Drab Surface Primer as my experience with using rattle cans is not to good... I tend to be heavy handed and want to see color NOW!!!

Thanks again,
Bob
mshackleton
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, February 18, 2016 - 11:09 PM UTC
Hi Bob
Looking at the photos we both have, when the BARVs were introduced they seemed to be Olive Drab, or at least a brownish shade of green. I have photos of the one I saw back in 2001 which has NATO Green wheels which contrast vividly with the rest of the brownish green vehicle.

However, in later pics they all seem to be NATO Green or thereabouts.
bwiber
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, February 18, 2016 - 11:22 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Bob
Looking at the photos we both have, when the BARVs were introduced they seemed to be Olive Drab, or at least a brownish shade of green. I have photos of the one I saw back in 2001 which has NATO Green wheels which contrast vividly with the rest of the brownish green vehicle.

However, in later pics they all seem to be NATO Green or thereabouts.

Michael, thanks for the information. Will be going for the earlier paint job as that is the version of Hercules I am trying to model.

Later,
Bob
SgtRam
Staff MemberContributing Writer
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,971 posts
Armorama: 2,859 posts
Posted: Friday, February 19, 2016 - 08:12 AM UTC
Will mark this one done. The Takom kit is a nice kit, and I added the Leopard Workshop barrel, antennas, and mud flaps.

SGTJKJ
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
Armorama: 4,677 posts
Posted: Friday, February 19, 2016 - 06:43 PM UTC
Thanks, Michael. I will dig up the Gepard in the stash then.

Kevin, great build. The foliage looks great and adds some nice contrast.
BlackWidow
Visit this Community
European Union
Posted: Saturday, February 20, 2016 - 10:04 PM UTC
Looks great, Kevin! It's Canadian, right? My 1A4 is also crossing the finish line soon. This morning I sprayed Bodenglänzer (german equivalent to Future) all over for the decals. Will show photos tomorrow. Hope to finish the build within next week.

Torsten
dexter059
Visit this Community
Region de Valparaiso, Chile
KitMaker: 1,569 posts
Armorama: 1,385 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 20, 2016 - 11:08 PM UTC
Nice builds everyone!

I'm now on a middle of house move, so I'm not sure when I'm going to start. I'll try to start in March with a Leopard 1V, Chilean Army of course, kitbashing the new Leopard 1 from Revell, bits of old Revell Leo1A1/A1A4 (adapting the add on armour based and side skirts mainly) and a few Leopard Workshop and other aftermarket parts.

I hope to make the deadline, a lot of work to do...

Cheers

Thudius
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 1,194 posts
Armorama: 1,077 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 21, 2016 - 12:51 AM UTC
Lots of good stuff. I'm hoping to get myself in the mix in about a month or so. At the risk of sounding slightly cheeky, if anyone is interested in a copy of the excellent Leopard Trilogy vol 1, send me a pm.

Kimmo
mshackleton
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, February 21, 2016 - 01:03 AM UTC
What - you don't want it??

Only joking:-)
Thudius
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 1,194 posts
Armorama: 1,077 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 21, 2016 - 03:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

What - you don't want it??

Only joking:-)

I'm loathe to part with it, the things we have to do sometimes.

Kimmo
BlackWidow
Visit this Community
European Union
Posted: Sunday, February 21, 2016 - 09:30 PM UTC
As promised, here are my photos from last weekend. Detail painting is done and Bodenglänzer is sprayed all over. Now follow the decals. Usually I build aircrafts, so I'm used to a lot more decals than on this sheet ....

Final coating will be a matt varnish and some pastel chalk for a light dusty look.

Torsten
BlackWidow
Visit this Community
European Union
Posted: Friday, February 26, 2016 - 07:28 PM UTC
To say it polite, these decals are crap .... Some went on nicely but about the half of it gave me troubles with tearing apart or sticking to the surface right where I put them first without moving. No, I was not swearing, I just spoke loud and clear .... Only my patience and a lot of water saved them from the bin ....

.... but finaly I made it. This is how my Leo 1 looks factory fresh, just left Krauss Maffei ....

BlackWidow
Visit this Community
European Union
Posted: Friday, February 26, 2016 - 07:42 PM UTC
No more factory fresh! After sending the tank through a dusty field (the farmer was probably not amused ... ), I declare this build finished. Later I will only add an antenna. Thanks again to Michael for sending me the snow grousers and the tow cables.
You can see some fitting problems between the upper and lower hull but on the photos it looks more dramatic than in real. Macro always kills ...

.... Hello brother! Finally a family photo with my Leopard 1A1A3 (Revell/Italeri), which I've build last year ....

First expo for my new Leo will be already next weekend. Later I will take some more proper photos and add them to the gallery. I say thanks for this great campaign and wish you all good luck for your builds.
So now, where is the Leopard 2 campaign ....?

Happy modelling!
Torsten