Campaigns: Active Campaigns
Campaigns that are either in planning or underway should be grouped here.
Hosted by Richard S.
Trumpeter Mk.II Campaign
SGTJKJ
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
Armorama: 4,677 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 14, 2016 - 11:31 PM UTC
Appreciate the feedback, Jeff. I am glad you gave feedback on the antennas. Looks much better and realistic now.

Some good lessons learned for the next 4-5 Abrams in the stash
BravoTwoZero
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 461 posts
Armorama: 370 posts
Posted: Monday, August 15, 2016 - 01:15 AM UTC
Build phase for my Trumpeter 1/72 BTR-80 has completed. Time for to prime, paint and weather.

Thanks,

Joseph
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,290 posts
Armorama: 658 posts
Posted: Monday, August 15, 2016 - 10:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Jeff thank you for your kind words. I didn't know for what you say about TOW cables.

Several pics I've seen show rusty or diry cables on M1117. I didn't know for the colors, so thanks for your advices.

Didn't know you had photo references for the rusty cables. I guess it shows the difference concerning maintenance between tankers and MPs, the most common user of the M1117. Still, good work on your 1117.
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Monday, August 15, 2016 - 10:39 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Build phase for my Trumpeter 1/72 BTR-80 has completed. Time for to prime, paint and weather.

Thanks,

Joseph

Joseph, Would never think the photos were for a 1/72 kit! Good kit and great build.
BravoTwoZero
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, August 15, 2016 - 11:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Thanks,

Joseph

Joseph, Would never think the photos were for a 1/72 kit! Good kit and great build.

Thank you Jeff. I hope I can do justice with the painting and weathering.
Hudson29
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,156 posts
Armorama: 1,024 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 17, 2016 - 01:35 AM UTC
Jesper - Your M1 came out really well. After seeing it I'm thinking I may have bump up in priority the one near the bottom of my pile now.

Joseph - I'm a big fan of these interesting 8 wheeled amphibians. Your small scale version makes a big impression. What markings will you use?

My own KV-1 Model 1941 build is snailing along. The MasterClub tracks are looking very impressive after numerous stages of paint. Still to do are the polished areas that the steel road wheels run on and the sprocket pockets.

I tried something new on the hull and am a bit nervous about how it will look. I painted a Kursk tan sloppily with a brush all over the lower hull sides and bottom of the fenders. After that dried a couple of days I hit the same areas with a dirty dark brown wash daubed on with a Q-Tip. This was somewhat smoothed out and refined with a brush but I am hoping to replicated the tumbling of dust & dirt stirred up by the tracks, sprockets & road wheels. It is certainly a mess right now and might look good once hit with some pigments. I'll know more in a day or two! Pics pending .. .
BravoTwoZero
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, August 17, 2016 - 02:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Joseph - I'm a big fan of these interesting 8 wheeled amphibians. Your small scale version makes a big impression. What markings will you use?

Hi there Paul,

Thanks for your comment. I am a big fan of post-war Russian subjects and I have several in my stash. Regarding the markings, I haven't checked out yet which ones are available. I am excited however, to try out the camo scheme from Rick Lawler's article.

http://www.migjimenez.com/img/cms/PDF/StepbyStep_BTR80_ENG.pdf

I just hope that whatever markings are available in the kit would work with that camo scheme.

Thanks again,

Joseph
Hudson29
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, August 17, 2016 - 11:41 PM UTC
Thanks for that link, I saved it for a future build. Most of the info would be helpful on any armor model.
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 18, 2016 - 08:15 PM UTC
For those old enough to remember the TV show "Hee Haw", there was a regular skit with a group singing about something bad that happened to them. A regular part of the song's chorus was, "If it wasn't for bad luck, I would have no luck at all." To play off that line for me it would be, " if it wasn't for dumb luck, I would have no luck at all."

You may remember from one of my earlier posts that my NBFZ had an "accident" and several parts disappeared. The dumb luck comes in when I was gathering material for a class I was going to present to my IPMS club, I decided to look inside one of my compartmented boxes I use to store spare parts and other modeling materials when, lo and behold, I found extra parts I had stored from the NBFZ kit. I can now replace the lost suspension parts and will finish the build in the last 11 days of the campaign. However, their was not an extra escape hatch.

I have also decided to halt construction of the Saratoga kit. The PE set is slowing production, but is a great improvement over the kit parts. I am also having difficulty with deciding when to paint parts as I build to avoid damaging the many fragile parts. Additionally I am waiting for some 3-D printed 5" anti-aircraft gun-mounts from Blue Ridge Hobbies to replace the kit parts. The Fly Hawk PE set provides replacement gun-mounts with six parts per mount which in 1/700 scale are just about impossible to fold, even with a PE folding tool.

The fun continues.....
Hudson29
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, August 19, 2016 - 01:14 AM UTC
Jeff - I hope you resume your carrier build in the near future. I'm interested is seeing what it looks like with the 1/700 biplanes.

I had another session or two with the KV-1. While there is still plenty of work to do, I can see the end in sight and should make it before the gong. Right now I'm pouring over photos looking for oil leaks and other interesting details.

I shot some pictures but feel we are getting to the stage where the strobe on the camera makes things look garish. It really is going to need an available light photo session to see the model properly.

Here is is, warts & all:

Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Friday, August 19, 2016 - 08:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Jeff - I hope you resume your carrier build in the near future. I'm interested is seeing what it looks like with the 1/700 biplanes.

I had another session or two with the KV-1. While there is still plenty of work to do, I can see the end in sight and should make it before the gong. Right now I'm pouring over photos looking for oil leaks and other interesting details.

I shot some pictures but feel we are getting to the stage where the strobe on the camera makes things look garish. It really is going to need an available light photo session to see the model properly.

Here is is, warts & all:

Paul,

Coming along nicely. Know what you mean about the effect of the camera strobe. I now play with my digital photos to get the best color, tone, etc.

As soon as I finish the Trumpeter NBFZ I am building for the Trumpeter II campaign I will get back to the Saratoga.
Bluestab
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,160 posts
Armorama: 1,906 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 03:46 AM UTC
I left these shots off from the last update.

And with that I am calling this one done. All in all, it was an enjoyable build.
SGTJKJ
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
Armorama: 4,677 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 09:32 AM UTC
Nice build, Alex! I like that the wear of the white wash is not overdone.

Thanks for sharing
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 09:07 PM UTC
Great build, Alex. Well done wear and tear on the winter camo,
minas-ithil
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 248 posts
Armorama: 224 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 10:44 PM UTC
To One and All,
Almost finished with my Trumpeter T-34. I have been painting and weathering the tank. I was at the point of attaching the tracks and, of course, they are too short! Not a little, but a lot. There are some quite thin sections, so stretching probably will not work. I know that if I just glue the tracks on the kit, they will come apart, so I am mulling over some options, especially since these tracks were not tight on the real thing! I may 'lift' some tracks from another kit or such. Quite the bother. I will post something soon.

(sigh of resignation),

Stephen
Hudson29
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 11:06 PM UTC
Alex - That KV-2 is a pip. The winter paint is convincing. Did you do the German mods or was this part of the kit?
Hudson29
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 11:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

To One and All,
Almost finished with my Trumpeter T-34. I have been painting and weathering the tank. I was at the point of attaching the tracks and, of course, they are too short! Not a little, but a lot. There are some quite thin sections, so stretching probably will not work. I know that if I just glue the tracks on the kit, they will come apart, so I am mulling over some options, especially since these tracks were not tight on the real thing! I may 'lift' some tracks from another kit or such. Quite the bother. I will post something soon.

(sigh of resignation),

Stephen

What tracks did you have trouble with? Were these the Magic Tracks or something else?
Bluestab
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,160 posts
Armorama: 1,906 posts
Posted: Monday, August 22, 2016 - 10:39 AM UTC
Thanks guys.

Paul, Trumpeter sells a German version and a Soviet version kit. They are pretty inexpensive and pretty good kits. It really stands out on the shelf among the other armor.
minas-ithil
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 248 posts
Armorama: 224 posts
Posted: Monday, August 22, 2016 - 08:48 PM UTC
Paul,
They are the tracks from their 1/72 t-34/43. They are the equivalent of about 3-4 links short on each side, about 1/4 to 3/8 inch per side! In 1/72 that is huge! That would just make them connect with no track sag at all. I have a couple of their kits, so I may steal some other tracks for now and then replace them from the company or a cheap kit from a model show or such. Just a bummer that I was at the final step and then hit this bump in the road.

C'est la vie.

Stephen
Hudson29
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, August 22, 2016 - 09:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Paul,
They are the tracks from their 1/72 t-34/43. They are the equivalent of about 3-4 links short on each side, about 1/4 to 3/8 inch per side! In 1/72 that is huge! That would just make them connect with no track sag at all. I have a couple of their kits, so I may steal some other tracks for now and then replace them from the company or a cheap kit from a model show or such. Just a bummer that I was at the final step and then hit this bump in the road.

C'est la vie.

Stephen

Yes, I can see your point. A few years ago on my first model after a decades long interlude I built the Tamiya T-34/76 and found to my surprise that the tracks were way too tight. I stretched them some by hand and then fitted them on the model. They were still tight but did fit. Two years on, the are still on and have not broken.

Possibly you might try stretching yours by hand?
Hudson29
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, August 24, 2016 - 02:29 AM UTC
Its finished, Its finished! The KV-1 Model 1941 is done. Pics have been uploaded to the gallery. Here is what it looks like:

Here it is with the recently completed T-18 gussied up for the big parade in Red Square in front of Uncle Joe in 1929:

Hudson29
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, August 24, 2016 - 02:34 AM UTC
I forgot to post a couple:

Ok, we're done now . . .
tatbaqui
Staff MemberNews Writer
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 2,713 posts
Armorama: 2,451 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 24, 2016 - 03:42 AM UTC
Very nice Paul!
tatbaqui
Staff MemberNews Writer
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 2,713 posts
Armorama: 2,451 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 24, 2016 - 06:23 PM UTC
Hello,

My contribution to the campaign:

Need to move on -- 3 more campaign builds to finish in the next 30 days

Thanks for having me in this campaign, congrats to all finishers!

Cheers,

Tat

BravoTwoZero
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, August 24, 2016 - 09:52 PM UTC
Hello everyone,

Paul, I like how you weathered your KV-1. The dusting is very realistic. I hope to replicate this on my BTR-80.

Tat, your finished model looks great! The weathering is just right and the streaks are very effective.

Here's an update on my 1/72 Trumpeter BTR-80. I have finally sprayed both primer and camouflage on the BTR. All the work that I did is now barely visible.

Please note that this is my first time to spray camo using an airbrush. I did this freehand, using Rick Lawler's article as a guide. I have to admit that it does not look clean. I'm hoping at least to make it look like it is the right scale. Here's how it looks.

I then experimented with oil dot fading technique. I like how the over spray was toned down and how the matt black paint was also subdued. I have also used some washes and pigments on the wheels. Here are some more WIP pictures.

I will try a few more weathering techniques and then I will upload the finished photos to the gallery.

Thanks,

Joseph