Campaigns: Active Campaigns
Campaigns that are either in planning or underway should be grouped here.
Hosted by Richard S.
Trumpeter Mk.II Campaign
steve-o
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 545 posts
Armorama: 295 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 24, 2016 - 10:18 PM UTC
Wow Joseph!

That looks great. Night and day from the spray to the oil wash. I'm also a novice at the airbrush, but next time, I'll have to look at going that route myself.

Kind of feels Russian to me too. Not a crisp camo pattern, but rugged and effective. Really great.
SGTJKJ
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
Armorama: 4,677 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 24, 2016 - 11:04 PM UTC
Nice builds, guys. That is some really cool looking and varied kits.

Thanks for participating.
Hudson29
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,156 posts
Armorama: 1,024 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 25, 2016 - 01:57 AM UTC
Tat - Great work on your little assault gun. The French origins are obvious. What tracks did you use? The sag looks good.

Joseph - I have to agree that the oils toned down the paint nicely and the whole thing looks more realistic for it. Your getting there quickly!
tatbaqui
Staff MemberNews Writer
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 2,713 posts
Armorama: 2,451 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 25, 2016 - 05:06 AM UTC
Thanks Joseph, Paul.

Joseph, your oil weathering indeed toned done the base color as Paul stated. Didn't realize your BTR was braille till I read thru it. I've just started using oils as weathering medium as well and have been quite happy with the results. For this build I've tried to shy away from a heavily stained / darkened finish that my builds usually turn into. It came out a bit clean for my standards but I decided to stop and stick with it. Still need more practice to get that balance.

Paul, the kit-supplied vinyl tracks needed to be cut to size.

As it would also take some effort to do the sag, I went for the Hobby Boss individual link tracks -- had no issues with it. Looking back the sag turned out a bit contrived though, anyways that's that

Cheers,

Tat
Hudson29
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, August 25, 2016 - 05:42 AM UTC
Track sag is another of those judgement issues. Sometimes I see a model and think it is overdone and then see a photo that shows the tracks really were that loose on a service vehicle at times.

I sometimes find it difficult to figure just how many links will be needed ahead of time. I recently built a set of Fruils for the Dragon T-34/85 and got them dead nuts right in a number of trial fittings. Only then did I glue the idler wheels in place.

When the time came to fit the tracks they turned out slightly tight, still well within the amount of sag shown in pictures but tighter than I expected after the trial fittings. I think the difference was not in the position fore & aft of the wheels but in the slop of the axles that squared up with glue.

The model looks fine (I'll have pictures up on Unfinished Business later on) but it was yet another lesson in the wide arena of unexpected results.
Martinvidas
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 322 posts
Armorama: 300 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 25, 2016 - 08:22 PM UTC
Hard working on the turret replacing some parts with homemade brass rod

14 more to go
Martinvidas
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, August 26, 2016 - 10:30 AM UTC
Pre-Primer Time:

Martinvidas
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, August 26, 2016 - 03:13 PM UTC
Primed finally:

terminators
Visit this Community
France
KitMaker: 1,932 posts
Armorama: 1,907 posts
Posted: Friday, August 26, 2016 - 08:11 PM UTC
Last updates:

Scratchbuilt with Academy part for Blue Force Tracker antenna and two Blast Models parts for radio antenna mount

Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,290 posts
Armorama: 658 posts
Posted: Friday, August 26, 2016 - 08:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello,

My contribution to the campaign:

Need to move on -- 3 more campaign builds to finish in the next 30 days

Thanks for having me in this campaign, congrats to all finishers!

Cheers,

Tat

Tat, that is a nice little kit and you did a great job on it. Jeff
terminators
Visit this Community
France
Posted: Friday, August 26, 2016 - 09:38 PM UTC
Please, need to understand, I have uploaded photos of finished built on my own photo gallery, it's OK.

But they don't appears in the general gallery. Do I have to upload them here too ?
tatbaqui
Staff MemberNews Writer
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, August 27, 2016 - 04:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Track sag is another of those judgement issues. Sometimes I see a model and think it is overdone and then see a photo that shows the tracks really were that loose on a service vehicle at times.

I sometimes find it difficult to figure just how many links will be needed ahead of time...

The "saggiest" I've seen were on T-34 / KV-1 period pics. When I started on armor I thought the extreme sag looked cool, but as I went on learned that it was not good practice in actual use. On determining the number of links, I'd use the number (if available) as a guide. Most often though, I'd just divide the total links in 2 giving me an allocation to work on per track run. I'd definitely be in trouble if the links seem to run out with still some amount of length to build Never had that so far.

Quoted Text

Thanks Jeff! I decided to keep it "clean" this time. Thought about putting chips and scratches -- still need to get the skills up for those

Quoted Text

Please, need to understand, I have uploaded photos of finished built on my own photo gallery, it's OK.

But they don't appears in the general gallery. Do I have to upload them here too ?

Congrats on your finish Alex! I like your treatment on the clear parts. You need to put up a couple of finished pics in the campaign gallery to be awarded the ribbon. Upload them here: https://gallery.kitmaker.net/showgallery.php/cat/30197

Cheers,

Tat
terminators
Visit this Community
France
Posted: Saturday, August 27, 2016 - 02:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I sometimes find it difficult to figure just how many links will be needed ahead of time...

The "saggiest" I've seen were on T-34 / KV-1 period pics. When I started on armor I thought the extreme sag looked cool, but as I went on learned that it was not good practice in actual use. On determining the number of links, I'd use the number (if available) as a guide. Most often though, I'd just divide the total links in 2 giving me an allocation to work on per track run. I'd definitely be in trouble if the links seem to run out with still some amount of length to build Never had that so far.

Quoted Text

Thanks Jeff! I decided to keep it "clean" this time. Thought about putting chips and scratches -- still need to get the skills up for those

Quoted Text

Congrats on your finish Alex! I like your treatment on the clear parts. You need to put up a couple of finished pics in the campaign gallery to be awarded the ribbon. Upload them here: https://gallery.kitmaker.net/showgallery.php/cat/30197

Cheers,

Tat

Thanks Tat, congrats to you too you have done a nice model.

I try to upload my photos on the campaign gallery but a message says pics exceds my space. What can I do ?
tatbaqui
Staff MemberNews Writer
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, August 27, 2016 - 04:33 PM UTC
Thanks Alex.

As I understand the standard allocation is 10MB per member. Subscribers to KitMaker have more, 500MB IIRC.

You'll need to delete pics to free up some space. I took a peek in your gallery and saw that the sizes of your pics are in excess of 1MB each so you also need to reduce the size of pics you upload. I use MS Office to edit pics, so resizing to say 640 x 480 pixels nets to an image size of about 160KB -- lesser pixels = lesser image size. I believe you can resize images using MS Paint as well.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Tat
Nito74
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,386 posts
Armorama: 4,727 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 27, 2016 - 05:43 PM UTC
JS-4 updates

Finished shots:

terminators
Visit this Community
France
Posted: Saturday, August 27, 2016 - 07:08 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks Alex.

As I understand the standard allocation is 10MB per member. Subscribers to KitMaker have more, 500MB IIRC.

You'll need to delete pics to free up some space. I took a peek in your gallery and saw that the sizes of your pics are in excess of 1MB each so you also need to reduce the size of pics you upload. I use MS Office to edit pics, so resizing to say 640 x 480 pixels nets to an image size of about 160KB -- lesser pixels = lesser image size. I believe you can resize images using MS Paint as well.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Tat

Now it's OK photos are lighter. Thanks for your help.
TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,770 posts
Armorama: 2,263 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 01:33 AM UTC
The D-30 is done.

Mike

p.s. Base will be done later.
eMan
Visit this Community
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
KitMaker: 1,182 posts
Armorama: 665 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 11:47 AM UTC
Type 89 IFV update.

SGTJKJ
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 11:55 AM UTC
Great result, Mike. The weathering came out just right and especially the wheels look great.

Thanks for sharing
Scipio2010
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 323 posts
Armorama: 221 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 05:27 PM UTC
Hello everyone! I am a big fan of Trumpeter, especially the paper panzer kits they have produced. I find that the Trumpeter kits are pretty decent OOB, and relatively easy to assemble. I was in the process of building the Geschutzwagen Tiger Grille 21/210 for this campaign, however, it suffered a catastrophic accident that forced me to scrap it. I have built the E-10 kit instead, and aside from a metal barrel it was OOB.

BravoTwoZero
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 461 posts
Armorama: 370 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 08:54 PM UTC
BTR-80 is done! After applying some more oils, then washes and pigment, I've completed the weatherin stage. I just hope it does not look over the top. Here are the shots:

Hudson29
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 10:54 PM UTC
Joseph - I just love your build of the BTR-80. I was so impressed that I just ordered one in 1/35. I do not see well enough to try one smaller . . .
Hudson29
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 10:59 PM UTC
John - Your JS-4 is very impressive. It must have been very intimidating to see one ion the field. You have a resin turret. Did it correct something on the model or was it to make a different version?
Nito74
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,386 posts
Armorama: 4,727 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 11:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

John - Your JS-4 is very impressive. It must have been very intimidating to see one ion the field. You have a resin turret. Did it correct something on the model or was it to make a different version?

Thanks Paul ! ir is a great kit, I recommend it !
About the turret, it's the original, plastic one, it has a metal barrel.
I didn't use any AM parts on this one.
SGTJKJ
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Monday, August 29, 2016 - 01:57 AM UTC
Joseph, beautiful BTR. Your effects are just like the article. Awesome work and thanks again for sharing the article.

Shawn, what happened to the geschutzwagen??!!! You left it on the stove over night? Sorry to see your work ruined.
You are making good progress on the new paper panzer though.