Hosted by Darren Baker
Public pool
cheyenne
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,185 posts
Armorama: 1,813 posts
Posted: Monday, May 02, 2016 - 01:01 AM UTC
Hey'a Patrick , everything's just fine , thanks for checkin on me .
I am gettin older , my wife holds a mirror under my nose every once in a while , just to make sure , I mean hey I can't blame her , she doesn't wanna make dinner if she doesn't hafta .

My backyard is bay wetlands , down the street a hey is the Barnegat Bay . Lotsa yard damage over the winter every year .
I've been doing Spring cleanup and other yard stuff , ........ an then there's my job .
Also workin on a 2000 Jeep Wrangler I just got my son , graduates this year , honor roll and he did want a retro Wrangler so what the hey .
Summer on the South Jersey shore is very busy ,
grillin , outdoor pool table , shuffle board , darts , horse shoes and just sittin at the Tiki bar and havin a brew or two , and that's just in my yard . Patio bar Olympics .
As soon as I do the Spring clean up it'll look like this .

Been workin on the dio and hope to get some progress up in a day or so , not a lot of progress but I have been workin on it .

Seriously tho , thanks Patrick fer checkin in .

justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Monday, May 02, 2016 - 01:50 AM UTC
Barnegat Bay! — know it well! I used to launch my Hobie 16 from Trixie's Landing, then South and out to the Atlantic at Barnegat Light. I'm landlocked now, and yes, I do miss the Jersey Shore ... not the TV show!

—mike
pnance26
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 766 posts
Armorama: 518 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 03, 2016 - 09:19 PM UTC
that backyard would make a great dio... pool table, bar, spa, grill... you've got it all!

I am geographically challenged when it comes to the east coast. What is near the "south Jersey" shore? is that Springsteen country or was he farther north?

Always got to check on friends. I am going to hit a major roadblock soon as we will be moving. Thank goodness, I have the kind of job that let me bring all my stuff up here to work on this project. My boss says her job is to keep me as bored as is possible and she encourages hobbies, etc. Pretty cool job... I get paid to be on standby 10 hours a day. I'll take that over running around at Mach 10 with my hair on fire for 40 of 48 hours in a shift for people that cannot tell a real emergency from a stubbed toe.

Looking forward to progress!
cheyenne
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 08, 2016 - 04:48 AM UTC
I've got the roof done , lotsa paper thin slates .
Now I'll have to figure the appropriate amount of debris to dump into the bar .
Slow goes it but it's goin .

justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 08, 2016 - 05:32 AM UTC
Well done on the roof damage! Once again, your attention to detail is off the charts!

Quoted Text

... Now I'll have to figure the appropriate amount of debris to dump into the bar. ...

And let the rubble fall where it may! I have a feeling we're really gonna' like this next phase!

Cheers!
—mike
Stickframe
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,661 posts
Armorama: 1,202 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 08, 2016 - 10:40 AM UTC
Hi Cheyenne - looking good. You sure got a lot done on this! As one who enjoys "building" debris (haha!) I'm looking forward to seeing how you construct the deconstructed building! That is, intentionally keeping the debris random, but logical - strange contradiction eh? I'm sure you'll nail it!

Nick
Modelrob
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 304 posts
Armorama: 293 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 08, 2016 - 02:58 PM UTC
Hi Cheyenne,

The roof came out great, just amazing detail. I am sure the rubble will come out great.

Robert
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 08, 2016 - 08:17 PM UTC
Nice work all around on the new additions. That gate is awesome as well as the brick fence. The damaged roof is spot on and really looks the part. The damage makes a lot of sense and conforms to the type of roof construction,one of your hallmarks. The only thing that bothers me a bit is the upper course of tiles at the top of the damaged part. The way those tiles are "hung" in a real roof I would think more of those would have fallen off? Most European tiles are not nailed on.
J
cheyenne
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, May 09, 2016 - 01:02 AM UTC
Mike , thanks man , I'm havin a 3 Miller Lite board meeting right now figuring the inside debris patterns .

Nick , thank you also man , yeah it's funny when you have to kinda completely build something in order to figure how to convincingly destroy it
The tricky part's gonna be laying the debris in the bar convincingly and still have the furniture recognizable among the clutter .

Robert thank you for the confidence you have in me , ...... I'll make that a 4 Miller Lite board meeting

Jerry , thanks man , aaaaah too late they're already glued ....... didn't know most European slate roofs were not nailed on ....... How were they attached FM ?
cheyenne
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, May 09, 2016 - 01:31 AM UTC
Jerry , just read up on European slate roofs and the suckers are hooked on the support boards .
I guess this is to prevent under or over nailing .
Done my fair share of slate roofing in Vermont with my brother [ rip ] back in the day and they were nailed onto yellow pine .

HOOKS , ............ magine that .
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, May 09, 2016 - 01:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Jerry , just read up on European slate roofs and the suckers are hooked on the support boards .
I guess this is to prevent under or over nailing .
Done my fair share of slate roofing in Vermont with my brother [ rip ] back in the day and they were nailed onto yellow pine .

HOOKS , ............ magine that .

That's why they last so long. No nails to rust! Our older houses around here have slate roofs and that is a big problem,rusting nails. I am not entirely sure how the Euro's attach the slates but the ceramic tile roof pieces ave the "hanger" molded into the back.
J
cheyenne
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, May 09, 2016 - 01:45 AM UTC
We used copper or stainless nails .
Expensive , course if you could afford a good slate roof you could afford copper nails .
Like I said under or over nailing was a big cause of slate roof failure .
That and improper lapping for run off .
My brother was the contractor , I just used to go spend time with him and help out every once an awhile .
There was always beer and weed , ........... I can say that can I , ....... I mean it was 40 or so years ago .
I aint gonna get arrested or nothin am I ......................

jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, May 09, 2016 - 01:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

We used copper or stainless nails .
Expensive , course if you could afford a good slate roof you could afford copper nails .
Like I said under or over nailing was a big cause of slate roof failure .
That and improper lapping for run off .
My brother was the contractor , I just used to go spend time with him and help out every once an awhile .
There was always beer and weed , ........... I can say that can I , ....... I mean it was 40 or so years ago .
I aint gonna get arrested or nothin am I ......................

I think hardly anyone cares a lot any more about that last point! LoL
J
pnance26
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, May 09, 2016 - 03:45 AM UTC
Cheyenne,
That roof work is incredible! Taking a photo and going to this length is pretty sweet!

So now I know about slate roof tiles... and I think the statute of limitations has run out. If we all had to answer for the indiscretions of our youth, there would be time for little else! Besides it was hot and hard work, right!

Always look forward to the additions you add! And the hits just keep on comin'!
cheyenne
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 22, 2016 - 03:20 AM UTC
Well I'm outta the bar and back in the stairwell .
Changed the roof layout , I wanted a skylight .
Movin slow but movin .........................

Sean50
Visit this Community
Manche, France
KitMaker: 340 posts
Armorama: 328 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 22, 2016 - 12:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Most European tiles are not nailed on.

Jerry, you're correct.
Whilst I can speak more for France than the rest of Europe, most slate roofs today use the little wire hooks, the exception being those who seek a more 'traditional' work, so restaurations of older buildings and those who just like that kind of thing from an aesthetic point of view.
The hook is relatively modern (by European standards )but according to this article (in French I'm afraid) the use of hooks in Germany (and Great Britain) took longer, so I reckon you're fine with nails.

By the way, this is all stunning work.

Cheers

Sean
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 22, 2016 - 06:38 PM UTC
Timber frame dormer!! I love it!! This is really getting to be more awesomer and awesomest!
J
pnance26
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, May 23, 2016 - 02:59 AM UTC
I am just in awe of the work in this forum! So realistic and so much info...

Great going!
JGphins
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 249 posts
Armorama: 249 posts
Posted: Monday, May 23, 2016 - 10:18 PM UTC
Hey Cheyenne, I was gone for about 8 weeks and back home now being able to stop by the forums to check on dio progress here plus get some modeling done too feels great. The level of detail on your build is truly amazing. You have made wonderful progress and you have an amazing talent, vision and skill. Thanks so much brother for taking time to share your work. Also, great looking backyard too. Seems like an awesome spot to enjoy drinks, food, and most important, time with family & friends.

JGphins
Stickframe
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,661 posts
Armorama: 1,202 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 26, 2016 - 10:30 PM UTC
Hi Cheyenne - that one heck of a lot of nice work you've got going on! Wow!

Cheers
Nick
cheyenne
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 29, 2016 - 02:10 AM UTC
Remember the stairwell , well I'm crappin it up with debris .
Now I know how those guys that build ships in a bottle feel .
Captain dumb ass here put up four rafters and some large chunks of debris in the stairwell , then realised the stairwell has windows , .......................... so where's the curtains .
Needless to say I invented some new tools to place all the bricks and curtains in and under the debris .
Still have rafter stuff and roof slates to put in the stairwell , maybe some more of this and that , ................. onwards .

cheyenne
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 29, 2016 - 02:22 AM UTC
OOPS , forgot the most important part of my post ,

Thanks Sean , Jerry , Patrick [ that's my middle name ya know ] , Joaquin and Nick .

You guys are great modelers and I'm honored to be recognized by you with my work , .............

Ok , Hallmark moment over ............. really thanks guys .
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 29, 2016 - 07:34 AM UTC
You really nailed that stairwell and its' debris buddy! That chandelier is over the top cool!
J
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 01, 2016 - 02:02 AM UTC
I finally opened this up on my computer — couldn't tell how much total damage had been done by viewing it on my iPhone! ... Holy duck for cover!!!

That curtain! ... Hell, that entire stairwell is simply outstanding! I don't know whether to call you an architectural genius or a demolisher extraordinaire? Whichever ... keep up the great work!

—mike
cheyenne
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, June 01, 2016 - 03:57 AM UTC
Jerry , thanks man , you have no idea how long it took to open those chain links with tweezers and needle nose and my eyes [ I need my glasses to find my glasses ] .

Mike , thanks man , demolisher etraordinaire huh , has a certain Inspector Clouseau ring to it , .........love it