Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Trois Ponts-Dec'44
disorderly
Visit this Community
Ireland
KitMaker: 125 posts
Armorama: 114 posts
Posted: Monday, January 25, 2016 - 03:12 AM UTC
Cheers, Jerry.
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 26, 2016 - 02:30 AM UTC
OK sports fans,here is a small up date.
First off,a pic dear to my heart. A real para from the 82nd Abn in 1945. Here is the look of a combat vet and the look to drive a Patton type officer crazy!! He just exudes confidence and swagger and generally looks bad-a-s.
Pic is from the Osprey series.

Working on the NCO here. He has a canvas bag for his ammo mags. I had to rescribe his back straps as they were lost in the conversion. Some carving and undercutting. Still needs a few aps pf putty here and there.

The overall concept here is the guys were in hand to hand combat and had to "bug out" so they don't have everything they brought up with them anymore. Keeping only things that matter. Plus,they were reported to be very low on ammo so I will not include too many grenades or bandoliers.
I think I need to tilt his canteen back a bit?

And that is it for this episode of Trois Ponts,
J
panamadan
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 1,513 posts
Armorama: 1,449 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 26, 2016 - 06:04 AM UTC
I'll be watching Jerry.
Dan
panzerconor
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,271 posts
Armorama: 1,253 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 26, 2016 - 08:29 AM UTC
Nice! I love this continuing theme. The sense of urgency and motion here is astounding, I love it. Really gets the panicked feel across. The attention to detail on these guys is great as well, really sets the standard.

-Conor
Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,094 posts
Armorama: 2,942 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 26, 2016 - 09:46 PM UTC
Jerry- just checking on the latest updates. The work on the guy sliding down the incline really adds a nice sense of movement- the positioning of the weapon and his head also adds to this. The guy on the run is also looking good.
The NCO is coming along real nice- the various bits of equipment and re-working are bringing him to life.
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 26, 2016 - 11:38 PM UTC

Quoted Text

... A real para from the 82nd Abn in 1945. Here is the look of a combat vet and the look to drive a Patton type officer crazy!! He just exudes confidence and swagger and generally looks bad-a-s. ...

Jerry, Are you hinting that this guy is in the idea queue? ... That would be awesome!

—mike
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 27, 2016 - 07:00 AM UTC
Dan,Conor and Karl,
Thanks guys for the continued intrest in this and the kind comments as well.
Karl,I think I can add to the look of movement even more when I add the rifle sling and other small bits?
J
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 27, 2016 - 07:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

... A real para from the 82nd Abn in 1945. Here is the look of a combat vet and the look to drive a Patton type officer crazy!! He just exudes confidence and swagger and generally looks bad-a-s. ...

Jerry, Are you hinting that this guy is in the idea queue? ... That would be awesome!

—mike

Mike,
Who knows??? Maybe it will get done.
For now,I really got wrapped around the axle this night on minutia. I figured I better show they were running low on ammo so I altered all the BAR ammo pouches. Along with doing the bottom of his tunic this took me all night! Well,a few hours anyway.

I still need to add the nubs on the snap fasteners.
J
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, January 29, 2016 - 07:36 PM UTC
Happy snaps of the figs so far in various stages of completion. Four of them are ready enough to shoot some primer on to help me pick out the smaller details still needing attention.

The BAR gunner is the least finished as you can probably tell,but I did get a lot of his upper tunic,collar,etc done last night. Still need the y straps,etc.
And no,he is not fragging the NCO! LoL
J
Sean50
Visit this Community
Manche, France
KitMaker: 340 posts
Armorama: 328 posts
Posted: Friday, January 29, 2016 - 10:31 PM UTC

Brilliant work. once again you've captured the moment, as it were...

Where would we be without Hornet heads....

Cheers

Sean
kurnuy
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 1,491 posts
Armorama: 997 posts
Posted: Friday, January 29, 2016 - 11:30 PM UTC
Hi Jerry ,

yes that BAR gunner is running out of ammo for sure. But i'm not sure about his ''shooting posture ''. It looks as if he is taken by surprize and rapidly aiming his machine gun to shoot somewhere not knowing where he is aiming at??? Never mind sometimes i get a little bit grumpy when i run out of candy...

It's a very impressive scene anyhow !
Kurt
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, January 29, 2016 - 11:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Brilliant work. once again you've captured the moment, as it were...

Where would we be without Hornet heads....

Cheers

Sean

We would be up sh--t creek!
J
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, January 29, 2016 - 11:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Jerry ,

yes that BAR gunner is running out of ammo for sure. But i'm not sure about his ''shooting posture ''. It looks as if he is taken by surprize and rapidly aiming his machine gun to shoot somewhere not knowing where he is aiming at??? Never mind sometimes i get a little bit grumpy when i run out of candy...

Kurt

That is exactly what he is supposed to be doing! So..I succeeded. The idea is,the guy are getting outflanked on the right side as they are trying to get down that zig zag road on the east bank of the Salm River in Trois Ponts. I am sure you have been there?
His position in the last pic is not his final position,if that's what you mean?
J
kurnuy
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
Posted: Friday, January 29, 2016 - 11:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hi Jerry ,

Kurt

That is exactly what he is supposed to be doing! So..I succeeded. The idea is,the guy are getting outflanked on the right side as they are trying to get down that zig zag road on the east bank of the Salm River in Trois Ponts. I am sure you have been there?
J

Yes , i've been there a long time ago . No it was just his way of holding or firing the gun that caught my attention . A BAR has a nasty recoil .
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, January 30, 2016 - 12:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hi Jerry ,

Kurt

J

Yes , i've been there a long time ago . No it was just his way of holding or firing the gun that caught my attention . A BAR has a nasty recoil .

I was going for a guy that was trying to get down that road fast and turned around when he was surprised so he could fire a quick burst and keep going!
J
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 30, 2016 - 12:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

... And no, he is not fragging the NCO! LoL

Whew!!! ... had me worried there for a minute!

Really great looking work!

—mike
kurnuy
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
Posted: Saturday, January 30, 2016 - 12:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hi Jerry ,

Kurt

J

I was going for a guy that was trying to get down that road fast and turned around when he was surprised so he could fire a quick burst and keep going!
J

Okay , i surrender . Never mind it's a great scene !
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, January 30, 2016 - 12:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hi Jerry ,

Kurt

J

J

Just remember we take no prisoners! Heheheheh
kurnuy
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
Posted: Saturday, January 30, 2016 - 01:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hi Jerry ,

Kurt

J

J

The guys next to me in the helicopter are saying that's not true !
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, January 30, 2016 - 01:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hi Jerry ,

Kurt

J

J

The guys next to me in the helicopter are saying that's not true !

SHHHH!!! Is it a black helo? It's not really there!
erichvon
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,694 posts
Armorama: 1,584 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 30, 2016 - 01:44 AM UTC
Jerry, this is another masterpiece in the making. Love the movement in there. I think my favourite is the bloke sliding down the bank on his butt. That really conveys the "Lets get the **** out of dodge" atmosphere. Like the BAR gunner just firing off a hurried unaimed burst in the general direction of Jerry. Once again it shows the panic of a withdrawal under fire. Every time you produce something it exceeds all expectations. Superb work so far. Folowing this with interest and picking up helpful tips.
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, January 30, 2016 - 05:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Jerry, this is another masterpiece in the making. Love the movement in there. I think my favourite is the bloke sliding down the bank on his butt. That really conveys the "Lets get the **** out of dodge" atmosphere. Like the BAR gunner just firing off a hurried unaimed burst in the general direction of Jerry. Once again it shows the panic of a withdrawal under fire. Every time you produce something it exceeds all expectations. Superb work so far. Folowing this with interest and picking up helpful tips.

Cheers mate and thanks for the kudos! I myself am looking forward to the group build. I have never completed one before. I started one once but got bogged down in details and never finished!! I plan to keep it simple this time. It will be in the same time frame as this vignette here,but just a few kilometers away.
I read between the lines as far as the history about this withdrawal goes and all the clues indicated it was a very hasty withdrawal,yes. We didn't like to advertise casualties and shortcomings back then and the after the war books really glossed things like that over. Things like the USAAF bombing Stavelot TWICE during this time frame when it was occupied by USArmy troops. Lots of GIs and Belgian civvies lost out on those mistakes.This one of the reasons the GIs nicknamed the USAAF 9th Airforce the American Luftwaffe.
J
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,295 posts
Armorama: 1,191 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 30, 2016 - 06:13 AM UTC
Another masterpiece indeed J. Really digging the groove of this vibe....hectic, frenetic, and frantic! Full of energy and suspense!

You rock mister!
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, February 01, 2016 - 07:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Another masterpiece indeed J. Really digging the groove of this vibe....hectic, frenetic, and frantic! Full of energy and suspense!

You rock mister!

Thanks for the kind words brother!
Here is the way the guys will roughly be placed,the BAR guy is missing though. Note the wire cutters with case I now have on the squad leader. Just putty and two bits of plastic sprue.

And here is the tumbler. He is getting along now but not nearly ready. Needs the sleeve built up on his left arm,hair added and dings and dents fixed in his putty coat. He has those funky overshoes on. Man I hated those as they make your feet sweat. You then get really cold when you are not moving and hence lots of guys get frostbite. Or trenchfoot,which may be even worse.

Take a look and see what you think,
J

jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, February 10, 2016 - 02:33 AM UTC
Ok, since the tumbling guy didn't seem to go over very well how about the severely wounded guy?

Putty before primer

after primer

before primer

after primer

He still needs some work on the scarf and other details but....you get the drift. He cannot get outta dodge as fast as the others.
J