Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
The Fighting Frogs
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 29, 2016 - 04:03 PM UTC
thanks for the looks and the advice,I guess some research on my part would have paid off
andromeda673
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 584 posts
Armorama: 525 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 01, 2016 - 06:50 PM UTC
Well here you go I'm off to the races with this Hobby Boss Panhard!

bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 01, 2016 - 09:59 PM UTC
Good choice even if it's not the best offering for a VBL.

For your information, do not just the exhasut extension like on the boxart. It is used that way only during river crossing.
Beware that the registration plate is fictitious.
6608 would mean the VBL has been built in 1960 (60) and rebuilt later (8).
To get a more appropriate number you need to replace the 8 by the 4 of the second series of digits and use the 8 to replace the second 6. So you should have 6804 0086.

Enjoy your build.
Olivier
nico37
Visit this Community
Indre-et-Loire, France
KitMaker: 651 posts
Armorama: 126 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 02, 2016 - 01:29 PM UTC
Hi all,

here are my Nieuport 17 last pics.

Just when i was about to close the fuselages, the control panel disappeared...in the Big Nowhere i suppose 'cause i was unable to find it out..... ... so i rebuilt one with styren and, thanks to Eduard which put extra dials in his PE, put anothers dials :

The missing panel :

The new one:

And then the enclosed fuselage :

Cheers
nico
zorrolobo
Visit this Community
Distrito Federal, Mexico
KitMaker: 1,457 posts
Armorama: 1,440 posts
Posted: Monday, October 03, 2016 - 09:48 PM UTC
I am currently working on this model, and I am wondering if it could work for this campaign:

Which is a modification of the Revell Wolf kit:

This is where I am at at the moment:
nico37
Visit this Community
Indre-et-Loire, France
KitMaker: 651 posts
Armorama: 126 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 05, 2016 - 12:51 PM UTC
Hi all,

some progress on the Nieuport :

cheers
nico
Hudson29
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,156 posts
Armorama: 1,024 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 05, 2016 - 09:09 PM UTC
Just looking at this last set of photos it is hard to tell this tiny aircraft is in 1/72 scale, very tiny indeed! I marveled at the PE parts and how you were able to work with them. Lookin' good!
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 05, 2016 - 11:11 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I am currently working on this model, and I am wondering if it could work for this campaign:

Which is a modification of the Revell Wolf kit:

This is where I am at at the moment:

Marcos,
it's probably a bit late but you can see pictures of the VPS on my site. I took them during Eurosatory in 2010. Go to the Real Ones section, click on Shows, Eurosatory 2010 page 4 and scroll down.

Olivier
andromeda673
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 584 posts
Armorama: 525 posts
Posted: Friday, October 07, 2016 - 09:00 PM UTC
making progress slowly but steadily! I'm enjoying this build alot, I cleaned up some of the injection pin marks, and then added some detail to the passenger side foot and armored floor plate, as it was really lacking detail.

The reference photos I have found online are really helping as the color call outs that hobby boss has for the interior are really backwards.

Thanks for looking and I'll catch you on the flip side!
zorrolobo
Visit this Community
Distrito Federal, Mexico
Posted: Saturday, October 08, 2016 - 06:41 AM UTC
An update on my VPS:

Hudson29
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, October 18, 2016 - 03:39 AM UTC
I finally started on my Fighting Frog, the teeny-tiny little Hobby Boss Hotchkiss. This was, judging by the kit number 35001, the very first HB armor kit and it is said to have its issues. I knew this going in but was so charmed by the boxtop illustration that I decided to plunge in anyway. I have a set of Fruils that should solve one of these issues and a good stock of putty, sanding sticks and powerful adhesives to address some of the other ones.

Right off the bat parts did not snick into place in a Tamiya like fashion. The sanding stick got a workout right away. We still have plenty of time so a slow careful pace should be fine.

I have never done a tank interior before and have very little reference on this Hotchkiss so so some imagination will be required in figuring out how to paint up the internal features. It should be fun . . .

Here is a pic of the start last night:

Here are a couple of the progress made next to the other project on the workbench, the old Tamiya Panther A.

This Hotchkiss is so small it could probably sit across the rear deck of the Panther and take a ride.

I would like to come close to the paint on the box top which is a light OD or maybe a greenish khaki. Would that be accurate? Would the French have used such a color in 1940? I had an idea of using a desert sand with a green filter to give it a tobacco cast. Opinions?
zorrolobo
Visit this Community
Distrito Federal, Mexico
Posted: Tuesday, October 18, 2016 - 04:19 AM UTC
My finnished VPS:

Some final better pictures with natural sunlight:

Hudson29
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, October 18, 2016 - 04:29 AM UTC
Marcos - Pretty neat looking "jeep" vehicle. The camo has a very sharp contrast between dark & light shades, it does break up the shape. Lookin' good!
Shalta
Visit this Community
Guangxi, China / 简体
KitMaker: 165 posts
Armorama: 160 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 18, 2016 - 05:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I finally started on my Fighting Frog, the teeny-tiny little Hobby Boss Hotchkiss. This was, judging by the kit number 35001, the very first HB armor kit and it is said to have its issues. I knew this going in but was so charmed by the boxtop illustration that I decided to plunge in anyway. I have a set of Fruils that should solve one of these issues and a good stock of putty, sanding sticks and powerful adhesives to address some of the other ones.

Right off the bat parts did not snick into place in a Tamiya like fashion. The sanding stick got a workout right away. We still have plenty of time so a slow careful pace should be fine.

I have never done a tank interior before and have very little reference on this Hotchkiss so so some imagination will be required in figuring out how to paint up the internal features. It should be fun . . .

Here is a pic of the start last night:

Here are a couple of the progress made next to the other project on the workbench, the old Tamiya Panther A.

This Hotchkiss is so small it could probably sit across the rear deck of the Panther and take a ride.

I would like to come close to the paint on the box top which is a light OD or maybe a greenish khaki. Would that be accurate? Would the French have used such a color in 1940? I had an idea of using a desert sand with a green filter to give it a tobacco cast. Opinions?

Do you know if that H39 is based on the Trumpeter one? Curious as I've been tempted to pick up an H39, but never saw anything about an HB kit of it, and I found the Trumpeter version at a pretty nice price. Looks nice so far though, any more to the interior, or is it just the few bits you have built?
Also, is it possible to join an in-progress campaign? I've got an AMX-13/90 that I've been planning to build for the last month, might be a nice excuse to start it!
Hudson29
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, October 18, 2016 - 06:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Do you know if that H39 is based on the Trumpeter one? Curious as I've been tempted to pick up an H39, but never saw anything about an HB kit of it, and I found the Trumpeter version at a pretty nice price. Looks nice so far though, any more to the interior, or is it just the few bits you have built?
Also, is it possible to join an in-progress campaign? I've got an AMX-13/90 that I've been planning to build for the last month, might be a nice excuse to start it!

I have the Trumpeter version also and it is different. Both kits are said to have issues with shape. I have not heard of any fit problems with the Trumpeter. It also has rubber band tracks. The one I have has the short cannon while this Bronco kit has the long barrel.

I'm not Fearless Leader here but it is my understanding that you may join any in progress campaign. I have joined several that way.
Hudson29
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, October 18, 2016 - 06:07 AM UTC
CORRECTION - CORRECTION - CORRECTION

I mistakenly said that I was building the HOBBY BOSS kit of the Hotchkiss. THAT is WRONG. I am building the BRONCO kit. AS far as I know, there is no HB kit of the Hotchkiss out. Should they release one, I will be first in line to buy it. I have built several recent HB kits and find them much better that this prehistoric Bronco kit. Recent Bronco kits are also much better than this early effort.

Sorry for the error!
Shalta
Visit this Community
Guangxi, China / 简体
KitMaker: 165 posts
Armorama: 160 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 18, 2016 - 06:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

CORRECTION - CORRECTION - CORRECTION

I mistakenly said that I was building the HOBBY BOSS kit of the Hotchkiss. THAT is WRONG. I am building the BRONCO kit. AS far as I know, there is no HB kit of the Hotchkiss out. Should they release one, I will be first in line to buy it. I have built several recent HB kits and find them much better that this prehistoric Bronco kit. Recent Bronco kits are also much better than this early effort.

Sorry for the error!

No problem, mistakes happen. That would explain why I couldnt find an HB version lol.
Fair enough though, sounds like I'll give the Trumpeter version a try. Pretty cheap, too. Still probably going to build that AMX-13/90 for this, though.
bm4247
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 88 posts
Armorama: 60 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2016 - 12:41 AM UTC
Folks, I bought a Meng FT-17 for this campaign off Amazon. I opened the box this evening and discovered the kit only has decals for an American version and a Chinese version. Very good, but now rather disappointed a French tank kit did not come with French markings. It looks like they had minimal markings anyway but does anyone know where I might get some 1/35 French decals for this kit? Thanks Brian
Armored76
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 1,615 posts
Armorama: 1,500 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2016 - 04:11 PM UTC
Meng has another FT-17 (TS-008) which includes French, Finish and German markings.

I was about to suggest you ask Meng for a decal sheet but then realized the kits are different (riveted vs. cast turret, etc). Since the only third-party decal set I'm aware of is one for Polish vehicles, I think your only solution would be to get this other kit.
bm4247
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 88 posts
Armorama: 60 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2016 - 08:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Meng has another FT-17 (TS-008) which includes French, Finish and German markings.

I was about to suggest you ask Meng for a decal sheet but then realized the kits are different (riveted vs. cast turret, etc). Since the only third-party decal set I'm aware of is one for Polish vehicles, I think your only solution would be to get this other kit.

Cristian, sounds like a plan. I will see what I can do but time is getting short.
Trust me to buy the TS-0011 online and it not have the correct markings.

I might even build a flying thing.
Hudson29
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 10:26 PM UTC
More progress on the Hotchkiss. One entire evening was spent building the six suspension units. The parts had little to locate them and less to support them. I used a powerful solvent made for "welding" acrylics and used the MK 1 eyeball to get all the units in alignment. The plastic is both soft & weak and it will take real care to avoid breaking them off during the rest of the construction process.

Building the tracks will be tough sledding. All of the wheels & sprockets must be glued on in a fixed location before even trial fitting can be performed which will make painting and weathering difficult. I can only hope the suspension units survive the track fitting . . .

This Bronco kit has been disappointing and I thought it worthwhile to have a look at the Trumpeter kit. Mebbee I shoulda built it instead? As far as detail, the Trumpeter parts are better in some ways and worse in others, about a wash. If the plastic & fit are better it might build easier. It will take building both to see how close they resemble a real H39 to declare a winner.
Hudson29
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, October 24, 2016 - 04:36 AM UTC
A little more work on the Hotchkiss:

I built the motor but have decided not to install it. The engine compartment is too vacant and the access hatch too large to get away with it without a lot of scratching. Doing that would require references much better than any I have seen.

As it is I guessed at the crew compartment colors. These tanks were pretty new when they went to war so I made it dirty and a bit worn but not abused and rusty.
Chaman911
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 319 posts
Armorama: 308 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 26, 2016 - 01:50 AM UTC
We'll progress is slow but coming along. I added an Orange hobby barrel which fit well. I put the road wheels on just for the pic. The color callout in the instructions sure does not seem very yellow, not like the pictures anyway. Perhaps a yellow tinted filter will help. Lots of construction left on turret will post a pic when done building. Fun build but this kit sure does not fall together quite like the Tamiya kits I've been building.

Removed by original poster on 10/26/16 - 21:57:08 (GMT).
VelluS
Visit this Community
Keski-Suomi, Finland
KitMaker: 52 posts
Armorama: 50 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 26, 2016 - 02:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

A little more work on the Hotchkiss:

I built the motor but have decided not to install it. The engine compartment is too vacant and the access hatch too large to get away with it without a lot of scratching. Doing that would require references much better than any I have seen.

As it is I guessed at the crew compartment colors. These tanks were pretty new when they went to war so I made it dirty and a bit worn but not abused and rusty.

This is one of the worst kits I have ever built. Congratulations for getting this far already. Have you yet noticed that you have to remove some plastic from behind the idler wheel to get it in line with other wheels?