Campaigns: Completed Campaigns
Campaigns that are completed should be grouped here.
Hosted by Richard S.
Half a Year for a Half Track
TimReynaga
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,500 posts
Armorama: 297 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 04, 2017 - 12:24 AM UTC
The Soviets were so desperately short of raw materials and vehicles during the war that they skimped and simplified construction wherever possible – like wooden cabs and beds on trucks instead of metal, and flat fenders instead of rounded formed sheet metal. Another compromise was supposedly instaling only one headlamp on some trucks – although I’ve been hard pressed to find photographic evidence of this. The closest I’ve been able to find is a pic of a ZIS-42 with the right headlamp installed but blanked off:
 photo ZIS-42 Halftrack pic4_zps5dbjitml.jpg
I replicated this on the model with a MV Products L 128 (3.26mm) clear lens on the left side and the right side blanked off with a .010 inch plastic disc made with a Waldron #5 (.120) punch.
 photo PST ZIS-42 Halftrack headlamps_zpstb8iyaun.jpg
It looks a little weird; I haven’t decided whether to go this route or simply install a second MV lens in the right side as well.

petbat
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,353 posts
Armorama: 3,121 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 04, 2017 - 12:38 AM UTC
I kind of like that Tim, a little unusual and quirky. I have never had a vehicle wink at me before.

I note the radiator housing seems a little different to the pic, the triangular depression looking larger and deeper with the bottom section of the triangle lower down, making the radiator more square than rectangular.
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 04, 2017 - 01:10 AM UTC
Asymmetry is bliss! 😜

I'm unfamiliar with the ZIS-42, but I've seen many accounts of Soviet GAZ Cargo Trucks crossing Lake Ladoga during the 'Siege of Leningrad' sporting an empty RH headlight housing or even having had it omitted completely. Times were tough. ...

PS: I really like the boat transport idea. ... Plenty of time left to scratch-build one! Lol!

—mike
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 04, 2017 - 01:32 AM UTC
Peter, The 250/9 came out looking great — well worth going the extra mile! Congrats!🍺

—mike
ClaytonFromEllijay
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 1,273 posts
Armorama: 1,138 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 04, 2017 - 08:01 PM UTC
I like the cyclops look- gives it "character"
petbat
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, July 05, 2017 - 08:11 AM UTC
Thanks Mike
Mrclark7
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 503 posts
Armorama: 477 posts
Posted: Friday, July 07, 2017 - 09:10 AM UTC
Alright, this is pretty much it. The drivers guides on the passenger side gave me fits as I broke it right after taking it off the tree. I went with a simple paint scheme as I already had a gray Tiger and have a bit to many sand schemes coming up.

Ill do another final pic for the forth photo after I add some highlights.

Thanks for letting me jump into this one.

petbat
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Friday, July 07, 2017 - 11:52 AM UTC
Very nice Kelly.

May I suggest you glue the track down onto the top of the centre road wheels, as they hung down like that illustration you posted. (BTW the pic is of an Ausf A, not the Ausf C you have... and the brown was discontinued before the C came out - but hey, it looks great and that is all that matters!! )

Other wise great work. Thanks for joining in
Namabiiru
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 2,888 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Friday, July 07, 2017 - 03:47 PM UTC
Nice work, Kelly.

ClaytonFromEllijay
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Friday, July 07, 2017 - 07:04 PM UTC
Very nice Kelly, be sure to post your finished pics in the Gallery!! https://gallery.kitmaker.net/showgallery.php/cat/30690
69mudbone
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 362 posts
Armorama: 285 posts
Posted: Friday, July 07, 2017 - 07:08 PM UTC
Kelly, looks nice, congrats on crossing the finish line,assault troop is a great touch
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, July 07, 2017 - 10:28 PM UTC
Kelly, Very nice work. Congrats!🍺

—mike
Mrclark7
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, July 07, 2017 - 11:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Very nice Kelly.

May I suggest you glue the track down onto the top of the centre road wheels, as they hung down like that illustration you posted. (BTW the pic is of an Ausf A, not the Ausf C you have... and the brown was discontinued before the C came out - but hey, it looks great and that is all that matters!! )

Other wise great work. Thanks for joining in

I had seen thru the model type choices that my color choice was between build models. The tracks will get glued down for sure. I need to glue the front drive sprocket also as the track pulls on it to much.

I did some more weathering last night. So should have an update pic later.

I have a bad habit of deciding color schemes based on what colors I already have and ones that I have not done yet. So sometimes a scheme is going to be thrown on a vehicle just because of what my glass case says it wants

I have been back to building for 8 months and I am trying new techniques constantly. I wanted to a desert. But I have two abrams to be finished, a Paladin, stuart, Wittmann Tiger, and even a Panther showing green and yellow yet to start. I like what if's for sure.

Thank you Mike Freeman, Ken Henderson, and Clayton.

Will get pics into the kitmaker also.
ClaytonFromEllijay
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 08, 2017 - 01:00 AM UTC
Great job, Kelly, looking forward to seeing you in a lot of campaigns!
TimReynaga
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, July 08, 2017 - 09:54 AM UTC
Nice work Kelly - even if it isn't 100% accurate, I like the brown and grey camouflage!
TimReynaga
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, July 08, 2017 - 09:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I kind of like that Tim, a little unusual and quirky. I have never had a vehicle wink at me before.

I note the radiator housing seems a little different to the pic, the triangular depression looking larger and deeper with the bottom section of the triangle lower down, making the radiator more square than rectangular.

photo ZIS-42 Halftrack pic4_zps5dbjitml.jpg photo PST ZIS-42 Halftrack headlamps_zpstb8iyaun.jpg

DOH!

Now that you point it out, Peter, I see that you are right! The molded triangular depression is indeed exaggerated, but the main reason that the radiator housing below it appears less rectangular than it should is because the angular fitting at the lower front (part F6) is too high, covering the lower part of the radiator.

This is my fault. I uncritically followed PST’s instructions to trim off the molded bumper and attach the angular fitting F6 to the chassis frame. There is even a handy slot provided at the back of the fitting which slides it perfectly into place there. The problem is, this mounts the fitting too high!

So I cut the chassis again... and reattached F6 in a lower, more correct position.
 photo PST ZIS-42 Halftrack chassis cut n reattached 2in1_zps5bdsax9e.jpg
The final result is not dramatically different, but the “after” picture on the right more accurately reveals the rectangular shape of the radiator.
 photo PST ZIS-42 Halftrack chassis reattached 2in1_zpsbmp91qbq.jpg
Thanks for the heads-up on this, Peter!
ClaytonFromEllijay
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 08, 2017 - 06:28 PM UTC
Gives the term "Microsurgery" a whole new meaning!
petbat
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Sunday, July 09, 2017 - 12:07 AM UTC
Hi Kelly

As I said, it is what floats your boat that is important, and that you enjoy yourself. Like Clayton, looking forward to seeing more of your builds. Cheers

Tim, that makes a huge difference! Amazing something so simple can do that. Can't wait to see that one finished
Mrclark7
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 09, 2017 - 10:05 AM UTC
clayton- I think I got the pics posted in the other gallery.

Petet- I didnt think anything wrong with your thought.

I am probably going to be doing much more 'off' stuff. Dont be surprised everyone if a pink, or orange tank shows up one day even.
ClaytonFromEllijay
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 09, 2017 - 06:48 PM UTC
Last 5 days to get your treads on, folks!!
ayovtshev
Visit this Community
Sofiya, Bulgaria
KitMaker: 1,432 posts
Armorama: 1,390 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 09, 2017 - 07:29 PM UTC
@Tim Reynaga:
Here is a picture of a one-eyed ZIS-5V with his driver.

It is only for your galery-so not intended to force you to rework your wonderfull build,

TimReynaga
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, July 10, 2017 - 12:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

@Tim Reynaga:

It is only for your galery-so not intended to force you to rework your wonderfull build,

Thanks for the picture, Angel!

The ZIS-42 halftrack was based on the ZIS-5 truck, so your pic is useful. The deleted right headlight is cool, makes more sense than the blanked-off version in the pic that I found. The unmodified bumper arrangement is also of note. The halftrack variant I'm doing had that odd front fitting, which was apparently intended to deflect snow drifts below the vehicle rather than into the radiator. I see too that the connecting rod between the headlights is rather thinner than I had realized. Maybe I should replace mine with thinner stock?
petbat
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Monday, July 10, 2017 - 02:22 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Dont be surprised everyone if a pink, or orange tank shows up one day even.

Like this:

or this

ClaytonFromEllijay
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Monday, July 10, 2017 - 06:45 PM UTC
So, is Pink the new Olive Drab?
ClaytonFromEllijay
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Monday, July 10, 2017 - 06:46 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

@Tim Reynaga:

Thanks for the picture, Angel!

The ZIS-42 halftrack was based on the ZIS-5 truck, so your pic is useful. The deleted right headlight is cool, makes more sense than the blanked-off version in the pic that I found. The unmodified bumper arrangement is also of note. The halftrack variant I'm doing had that odd front fitting, which was apparently intended to deflect snow drifts below the vehicle rather than into the radiator. I see too that the connecting rod between the headlights is rather thinner than I had realized. Maybe I should replace mine with thinner stock?

At that scale, how much thinner can you get??