Campaigns: Active Campaigns
Campaigns that are either in planning or underway should be grouped here.
Hosted by Richard S.
Anti-Aicraft :: 2019
petbat
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,353 posts
Armorama: 3,121 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 25, 2019 - 08:14 AM UTC
Robert... hope all goes well.
petbat
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, September 25, 2019 - 09:43 AM UTC
Okay back to work on the Crusader AA. Being based on their old Crusader 3 kit, this one has inherited the same issues, but Italeri created even more. As an open topped turret, the interior is visible. However, rather than modify their existing moulds to create an accurate one for this kit, they simply adjusted the interior components to fit the existing moulds. This means the turret opening in the hull is very, very small and the interior is far too cramped. So much so, that a scale crew member would not fit.

As a result they had to create a notch in the turret race to allow the guns a modicum of elevation when in real life they could go almost vertical. Added to that is the gun controls on a pillar that rises from the floor of the turret basket. This would mean the gunner would have to be on his knees on the turret floor (and that is impossible due to the size of the basket) with his vision obscured by the turret roof so he would be firing blind!

Plus there are no stowage racks for drum magazines, etc.

Photos of the turret interior are all but non-existent, despite Saumur having one. I have one pic only and used that as a basis for a scratchbuild:

I guess this is also what Italeri used and due to perspective, it appears the gun controls are on a pillar, but closer look nd you can see the circular plate on the floor behind it. The pic also shows the Italeri round seats to be wrong too.

Accurate Armour do a conversion which appears to be inaccurate armour especially as they supply a shelf for the spare drum magazine that would mean the loader's head would be inside the shelf! Even more bizarre is the two trays on either side of the gunner's seat are the drum racks! Also AA place the gunner's seat way back on the turret floor, which would mean he would be bent double by the inward slanting turret rear, plus his knees would be on the turret floor, not bent down into the turret basket area.

Enough blather, the pics should do the talking

What Italeri give you showing max elevation

The replacement turret floor I made in styrene placed on Italeri's floor - notice how much bigger the hole should be. This also means I had to cut out part of the kit hull too. You can also see the pillar where they expect the gun controls to be.

The almost completed interior - notice the foot pegs for the gunner. This is an assumption on my behalf. Italeri has these as two pipes running straight out of the side of the pillar into the basket floor. It makes more sense to me to be this given the angles of the pipe visible in the interior pic, location , etc...

I also gave the gunner's seat back one slat support the same as the two loader's ones. Italeri and AA give you one with a slat each side, which begs why the difference?

canismalus
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 398 posts
Armorama: 394 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 28, 2019 - 07:36 AM UTC
Yeah, Robert, like I said in the Trumpeter Mk. 5 campaign, I‘ll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Richard, your Ganef is coming along nicely.

Peter, wow, Italeri really messed up their Crusader AA kit, and Accurate Armour just compounded the problem. Ouch! Great job fixing it so far, looking forward to further developments!

Work on my ZSU-57-2 will resume in the next week, after I‘ve finished my build for the Trumpeter campaign.

Happy modelling,

Jerry
petbat
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Saturday, September 28, 2019 - 01:55 PM UTC
Looking forward to seeing it Jerry
BogiBg
Visit this Community
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 397 posts
Armorama: 388 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 28, 2019 - 05:46 PM UTC
Peter, you solution of the problem is quite effective. Great idea.
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 3,569 posts
Armorama: 2,070 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 29, 2019 - 05:10 AM UTC
Interestingly neither gun scored well enough to even get a bronze medal at Armorcon yesterday.

I do prefer the AMPS system over the IPMS 1st, 2nd,3rd system, but even there you are at the whim of the abilities of the volunteer judges and the skills of the table captain.
They both sat to be judged until almost the very end of the day, for what that's worth. Maybe I'll go back and read the comments later, but probably not. I mean, what's the point.
But overall I'm pretty happy with the both of them
petbat
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Sunday, September 29, 2019 - 07:06 AM UTC
Hi Mike. I stopped entering models in our Big Annual comp for the same reason. In fact, the volunteer judges were chosen from people who did not build armour - truck and Car builders, aircraft builders, etc. It was meant to stop Cronyism, but just led to people with little understanding making the decision. Once Silver went to a SdKfz 10 whose outer road wheels were outside the track, upper run was airborne and the MG was painted silver.... another time Bronze on a Panther where the inside of the road wheels (seen from the rear) were not even painted...
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 3,569 posts
Armorama: 2,070 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 29, 2019 - 12:27 PM UTC
yeah Peter, this is the US AMPS (armor builders) but they're still at the mercy of who shows up and volunteers to judge. In THEORY, you are competing against a standard, not the rest of the folks on the table (ala IPMS) for 1st 2nd 3rd places. But all things considered, it's still got flaws.
I'll still show up and participate, and judge, and try to steer the big ship. But not for too much longer.
There were a LOT of experten, some sour grapes, and some blowhards. Plus a guy in an SS division T-shirt..
SO maybe my days there are numbered.
zontar
Visit this Community
Hawaii, United States
KitMaker: 1,646 posts
Armorama: 1,557 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 29, 2019 - 05:27 PM UTC
Aloha All,

Decided to jump in on this one a while back, but haven't posted until now. Tamiya 1/35 German 3.7cm Flak 37.

Happy Modeling,
Zon
SpeedyJ
Visit this Community
Bangkok, Thailand / ไทย
KitMaker: 1,617 posts
Armorama: 1,150 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 01, 2019 - 12:46 PM UTC
Hi all.
In picked up the 88 gun to get it over the finish. Most of the work is done, al has paint except for the shields and some detail work.
Detail painting and decals still need to be done.
For display little detail was added to the Sd.Ah.202. Germans call it Zwischenzugstange. As shown on the pictures both Sd.Ah. were coupled to move them from the firing location using a truck.

Shown are the Sd.Ah. with cable reels. I have another set where reels are empty. Gives some opportunities for display.
Have to finish one shield and then get some paint on both before installing them. Weathering comes as last stage up to the finishing line. So I might be in time before the end of this month.

Kind regards,

Robert Jan
petbat
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, October 01, 2019 - 08:07 PM UTC
Great to see you at the bench Robert. Looking great.

Nice job on the thin camo Zon. Good old Tamiya buildability
SpeedyJ
Visit this Community
Bangkok, Thailand / ไทย
Posted: Tuesday, October 01, 2019 - 10:25 PM UTC
Thanks Peter. Takes about ages to get something done, but at least there is progress. For anyone interested, these pictures come in handy when you want to extra detail the Sd.Ah.202.

Images come from "Die Geschutze, Ortungs- und Feuerleitgeraete der Schweren Flak".

Kind regards,

Robert Jan
SpeedyJ
Visit this Community
Bangkok, Thailand / ไทย
Posted: Wednesday, October 02, 2019 - 04:33 AM UTC
Shows the correct position of the barrel for transport mode.

Kind regards,

Robert Jan
Armorsmith
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 1,063 posts
Armorama: 1,000 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 02, 2019 - 05:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Interestingly neither gun scored well enough to even get a bronze medal at Armorcon yesterday.

I do prefer the AMPS system over the IPMS 1st, 2nd,3rd system, but even there you are at the whim of the abilities of the volunteer judges and the skills of the table captain.
They both sat to be judged until almost the very end of the day, for what that's worth. Maybe I'll go back and read the comments later, but probably not. I mean, what's the point.
But overall I'm pretty happy with the both of them

Mike,

I was at Armorcon and remember seeing your two builds. For what its worth, while I didn't actually judge them I did give them a good look on the display table and thought they were very nice so I was surprised when I read that they didn't medal.

Hope yo see you in Harrisburg next year.
petbat
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, October 02, 2019 - 09:00 AM UTC
Nice references Robert. Looks like a great book to own.
BogiBg
Visit this Community
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Friday, October 04, 2019 - 03:40 AM UTC
Little update
I was working really hard to finish everything. All parts are in place, all painted in base color. Still lot of work left.

So, here we have
5 X flak 38
Sd.Ah.51
Flak 36
Sd.Ah.202
Opel Blitz
Sd.Kfz.10/5
Sd.Kfz.7
Horch 108
... and 3 weeks to finish...
petbat
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Friday, October 04, 2019 - 08:06 AM UTC
Most people are content to build one model for a group build, but not Bogi. If he did only one, he would think he was being lazy!

Nice production line up...
GulfWarrior
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,051 posts
Armorama: 1,029 posts
Posted: Friday, October 04, 2019 - 08:53 AM UTC
Damn over-achiever!

Looks good, Bogi!

ayovtshev
Visit this Community
Sofiya, Bulgaria
KitMaker: 1,432 posts
Armorama: 1,390 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 05, 2019 - 12:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Most people are content to build one model for a group build,...

while Bogi builds an entire Flak battery

Impressive!
BogiBg
Visit this Community
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Saturday, October 05, 2019 - 07:09 AM UTC
Thank's guys... Your support means a lot. All I need now is campaign administrator to extend this campaign so I can enjoy this builds properly.
SpeedyJ
Visit this Community
Bangkok, Thailand / ไทย
Posted: Saturday, October 05, 2019 - 02:47 PM UTC
I'm in with Bogi Bg to extend, I would need extra 2 weeks to properly finish the build.

Kind regards,

Robert Jan
GulfWarrior
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,051 posts
Armorama: 1,029 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 05, 2019 - 02:56 PM UTC
I wouldn’t mind a couple extra weeks to finish my SA-4. I just started priming some of the parts on the launcher this evening.

zontar
Visit this Community
Hawaii, United States
KitMaker: 1,646 posts
Armorama: 1,557 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 06, 2019 - 06:04 PM UTC
Pete: thanks for the kind words. My first time doing the thin line and I'm pretty happy with the results, particularly as stressed as I was while doing it.

Robert: the 88 is coming along nicely.

Bogi: quite the collection there.

I could also benefit from some additional time on this effort, mostly because I'm finding my bench time is limited as of late.

Thanks,
Zon
petbat
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Sunday, October 06, 2019 - 10:24 PM UTC
Pretty much all the construction is done. Just a few small details to add around the air cleaners and a few nut heads on the outside of the rear engine louvres.

Then onto the Fruil tracks.

Added some cast texture and missing detail to the exterior of the turret.

and the exhaust and brackets to the louvres.
BogiBg
Visit this Community
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Sunday, October 06, 2019 - 11:09 PM UTC
Love your builds Peter. One can save himself research time. Hopefully, there would be a new Crusader kit before I have to do this.
Looks good so far.