Campaigns: Active Campaigns
Campaigns that are either in planning or underway should be grouped here.
Hosted by Richard S.
I Like Big GUNS...And I Cannot Lie - Active
BogiBg
Visit this Community
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 397 posts
Armorama: 388 posts
Posted: Friday, March 20, 2020 - 05:58 AM UTC
Thank's Richard.
petbat
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,353 posts
Armorama: 3,121 posts
Posted: Friday, March 20, 2020 - 08:06 AM UTC
Is that picture of a vehicle in Italy Bogi? It looks OD on top and maybe Light Mud and then Black underneath. An interesting variation.
k_mero4
Visit this Community
Sofiya, Bulgaria
KitMaker: 393 posts
Armorama: 369 posts
Posted: Friday, March 20, 2020 - 08:15 AM UTC
Bogi, well done. Congratulations.
Kalin
BogiBg
Visit this Community
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Friday, March 20, 2020 - 09:25 AM UTC
Thank's Kalin.
Peter, I don't think it's Italy. From what I could see on photos, there were few early production M7's in British use. Most of pictures from north Africa actually show mid production models. Since it's early model on the photo, I presume it's first batch send from US. So I think it's Africa. It is quite an intrestning photo because you can see the line of darker color between sand and upper color. Dragon says that it should be "red brown" but I think I will go for RAF Dark Earth and leave OD down.
I think that mud guards were not made locally, but in factory, so I will leave them painted OD.
ardoe
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 14 posts
Armorama: 13 posts
Posted: Friday, March 20, 2020 - 10:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Happy New Year Everybody!

Takom's 30.5cm Siege Howitzer is my entry into this campaign. This will be my first artillery build.

Mark

Black_sheep
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 823 posts
Armorama: 170 posts
Posted: Friday, March 20, 2020 - 11:41 PM UTC
Thank you all for your very positive Feedback very appreciated and I do feel honoured

I did received the resin figures for my planned crew. Each vehicle has a crew of seven soldiers. Therefore I looked for seven appropriate figures and I did found them with EVOLUTION and TANK sets. I also used some heads with modern tanker caps from BASTION35 to give every crewmember a unitary headgear.

This is the planned constellation; please tell me what you are thinking about it:

The driver (TANK with BASTION head);its Hand will adjusted to the hatch before painting:

Gunner 1 (TANK with BASTION head)

Wireless operator / gunner2 (TANK with BASTION head):

commander (EVOLUTION); instead of his submachine gun he will get a red signal flag for his one hand:

Loader1 (TANK):

Loader2 (TANK with BASTION head):

Loader 3 (TANK with BASTION head); its arms will be adjusted to the ammo cart:

Now what do you think about it? Does it Looks real?

Cheers and stay healthy
TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,770 posts
Armorama: 2,263 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 22, 2020 - 08:36 AM UTC
Some detail work is done, though it's not so noticeable. The PE shield mounts are really a PITA. That's the next thing I really need to do. UGH!

Mike
Black_sheep
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Monday, March 23, 2020 - 05:36 AM UTC
First crewmember is done. I am not a figure painting wizard and this new russian digital camouflage don´t really adds for my relief as it is a "first time" for me but I am more than happy about the final outcome about it. I just added the now usual national Color Badge, the army badge and the distinct unit´s badge:

I changed the final Location of this one - the gesture of him fixing something at the armatures does look more realistic than climbing up the stairs

So who comes next...
petbat
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Monday, March 23, 2020 - 07:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

So who comes next...

...the joke is "Whose on first?" Thomas

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=who%27s+on+first&view=detail&mid=786105BBAD2138D1AE92786105BBAD2138D1AE92&FORM=VIRE

Figures are looking great. A very busy Dio in the planning.

Good Luck with the PE Mike. It will be worth the sweat in the end.
Black_sheep
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Monday, March 23, 2020 - 07:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

So who comes next...

...the joke is "Whose on first?" Thomas

Figures are looking great. A very busy Dio in the planning.

Peter as being not a native english speaker it was a bit difficult to explore what they were talking about at the very beginning but then I did understand whats up - very funny, never seen before
BogiBg
Visit this Community
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Monday, March 23, 2020 - 09:29 AM UTC
Thomas, I like those figures. Great job on uniform camo. I have no idea how you managed to paint it.
petbat
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Monday, March 23, 2020 - 09:38 PM UTC

Quoted Text

it was a bit difficult to explore what they were talking about at the very beginning but then I did understand whats up

I speak English and the first time I heard it I was confused too... but then it is about baseball, which is not a huge game here in Australia. The whole sequence is now considered to be a classic of 'slapstic humour' throughout the English speaking world.
Petro
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 984 posts
Armorama: 846 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 24, 2020 - 03:51 PM UTC
Update time.

Update time. Shot the base coat last week. Using Vallejo paints again, as i have a modulation set from them. I did a shadow coat around specific areas with Black, then a darker green in the shadow areas , then base green.

I was having airbrush problems, so i couldn’t spray the lighter colors. I’m still learning that process anyways.
I ended up doing some layering with 3-1 ratio of water to paint, the. Began shadowing and some minor highlighting of the recesses and flat horizontal plates. I read that figure painters use paints like that for layering. It’s my first successful attempt.

I shot a clear gloss for the pin washes, though i probably didn’t need to. I did want to protect the layers i built up though. I am deciding if to add any decals too.
zontar
Visit this Community
Hawaii, United States
KitMaker: 1,646 posts
Armorama: 1,557 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 24, 2020 - 06:43 PM UTC
Aloha All,

Thomas: Really nice work.

Mike and Marc: looking good.

I've finally started my second choice entry. Had intended to do a 1/16 scale American Civil War cannon, but the trail of the metal kit was poorly molded and I'm not experienced enough in metal models to overcome that. So, I picked up this siege cannon from Takom. The kit went together very easily with only some clean up, so there were no photos in between since it went so quick.

Happy Modeling and stay safe out there,
zon

petbat
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, March 24, 2020 - 11:41 PM UTC
Marc and Zon. Looking sweet guys.
BogiBg
Visit this Community
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Wednesday, March 25, 2020 - 09:15 AM UTC
Things are going slowly with my M7...
I spend weekend masking and remembering why I quit making aircraft models...

This is where I am now.

My biggest issue will be stovage, since I don't have any and I decided not to buy anything modelling related until I see where is this crisis taking us. Too many people depend on money I am earning and none of them is able to survive on styrene diet... Yet.
k_mero4
Visit this Community
Sofiya, Bulgaria
Posted: Thursday, March 26, 2020 - 04:54 AM UTC
Great camouflage work, Bogi. Congratulations.
One question: Which camouflage period is it? It looks like mine from the fights in Tunisia.
And one more question to the camp leader: Can I join the campaign with Sturmpanzer IV Sd.Kfz.166 (Tamiya 35353)?
Kalin
BogiBg
Visit this Community
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Thursday, March 26, 2020 - 05:24 AM UTC
Thank's Kalin. It's just before Tunisia, at El-Alamein, 1942.
k_mero4
Visit this Community
Sofiya, Bulgaria
Posted: Thursday, March 26, 2020 - 05:51 AM UTC
I understood, thank you.
petbat
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Thursday, March 26, 2020 - 08:19 AM UTC
Very striking camo there Bogi. Love it.

Kalin the SdKfz 166 would fit the rules fine:
"This campaign is open to all field guns, howitzers and mortars. No rockets, missiles, anti-tank guns or air defense artillery."

The SdKfz 166 is a heavy self-propelled howitzer. It fired the same rounds as a Sig 33 field howitzer, whereas the Sturmtiger isn't within the rules because it fired a rocket.

Looking forward to seeing it done.
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,128 posts
Armorama: 2,959 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 26, 2020 - 11:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

For the Campaign Leader:

I have a couple of kits ...

How about a Sturmpanzer IV "Brumbar" (15cm sI.g howitzer assault tank)?...

Bob

Welcome Bob!

I'm going to say yes to the 2S3; but no to the Brumbar. I look at the Brumbar as more of an assault platform, a direct fire weapon.

Feel free to join us with the 2S3 "Akatsiya" though.

I'll suppose that my error was in calling the Sd.Kfz 166 Sturmpanzer (Assault tank) IV a "Brumbar" back on 13 Feb!

Definitions do change. Maybe back then, armored assault howitzers were "out" or maybe "suspect" in terms of meeting a Big Guns definition... Later, the direct Soviet analog of the Brummie, the SU-152, clanks in, and now the Brummie gets his acknowledgment and acceptance!

The Akatsiya is under way, so my Sd.Kfz StuPa IV will have to wait for some other bench opportunity.

@Kalin: I look forward to seeing how and what you do with the fab "Brumbar"!

Bob
petbat
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Thursday, March 26, 2020 - 02:12 PM UTC
OOPS.

Well Bob, I have to admit I did not see Richard's previous reply to you. As the Campaign leader, he has the final say.... so sorry Kalin....

I'll just take my foot out of my mouth and keep my opinions to myself in future....
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 26, 2020 - 07:11 PM UTC

Quoted Text

OOPS.

Well Bob, I have to admit I did not see Richard's previous reply to you. As the Campaign leader, he has the final say.... so sorry Kalin....

I'll just take my foot out of my mouth and keep my opinions to myself in future....

Actually, Peter, I fully agree with your expressed opinion concerns the StuPa. It, along with the Bison I, Bison II, and Grille (s.I.g 33 auf Fahrgestelle Pz. 38(t)) H and M, and the s.I.g auf Fahrgestelle Pz.III (the direct fully-armored precursor to the StuPa), were all mobilized 15cm howitzers built for close and mid-range support fire. The fully-armored s.I.g auf Pz. III and the StuPa were developed to enable that howitzer to be brought close in to the action for multiple roles, including bunker-busting direct fire - but all of these weapon systems were high-elevation plunging fire howitzers as their primary function. The Germans recognized, with the first type, the Bison I (being a wheeled howitzer plopped on top of a turretless Pz. 1b hull), that the s.I.g 150mm howitzer could be very effective at blasting bunkers. In contrast, the Soviet SU-152 - a sort of analog to the StuPa as a big fire-support weapon, was built expressly as a heavily-armored direct fire assault gun, and was actually unable to provide much of that classical plunging fire we associate with howitzers, owing to its limited elevation capabilities. And as others have noted, its big 152mm gun was very effective (and used as such) as an AT gun against the heaviest German tanks... The StuPa, while theoretically capable of firing a type of AT round (provided that was even supplied!), is not generally thought of as being any sort of AT weapon (and I don't know of any real attributed tank-kills for the StuPa).

So, in my humble opinion, YOU are exactly right about the Sd.Kfz. 166 StuPa! No sort of foot in mouth. Just saying!

I sincerely hope that the campaign manager allows Kalin to do the StuPa - I think it a pretty appropriate Big Gun for this campaign - just as much so as a Bishop, Priest, US M-108 or M-109 (all of which have been used in more direct-fire roles...), or any of the mentioned German guns in above. Of course, that is just my opinion, and the decision is up to Richard.

Cheers! Bob
k_mero4
Visit this Community
Sofiya, Bulgaria
Posted: Friday, March 27, 2020 - 06:27 AM UTC
Gentlemen, thank you for your support.
Peter, you should not blame yourself for your words. I agree with your opinion of StuPz.IV Sd.Kfz.166, as well as the words spoken by Bob.
In this situation, I think it is right to withdraw my question and dig deep into my reserves in order to find a suitable model for a campaign that does not generate conflicting opinions.
Kalin
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Friday, March 27, 2020 - 07:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Gentlemen, thank you for your support.
Peter, you should not blame yourself for your words. I agree with your opinion of StuPz.IV Sd.Kfz.166, as well as the words spoken by Bob.
In this situation, I think it is right to withdraw my question and dig deep into my reserves in order to find a suitable model for a campaign that does not generate conflicting opinions.
Kalin

Kalin: PLEASE DON'T withdraw doing the StuPa, proviso Richard is OK by it! I have zero hard feelings of any sort about whatever and any confusion concerns doing it or not - I'm enjoying my Akatsiya and really don't mind not doing the StuPa this go 'round! It SHOULD be included and allowed on account of what it really was, IMHO.

@Richard: PLEASE let and even encourage Kalin to do the StuPa! I'm more than A-OK with not doing it, but one SHOULD be seen in this interesting field of Big Guns, and he's the guy proposing it now!
Thanks for the consideration!

Bob