jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 26, 2020 - 02:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I’m amazed you know that old pommie show JR, nice one uh oh here comes Glenn ag

Excuse me,I have to go to my sisters' home,the one with the pool and extra guest bedrooms and room for a pony,
J
G-man69
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 944 posts
Armorama: 928 posts
Posted: Monday, July 27, 2020 - 12:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Looks very convincing to me for sure. I am tempted to get a coat on,even though it's blazing hot outside today!
You have no idea how cold it gets inside an armoured vehicle and also how damp it gets,with all the moisture from the crews' breathing. A welcome relief was to take the engine cover off briefly inside and get some engine heat going. But I don't know if a Chruchy had that feature.
Nice work !
J

Hi Jerry,

Thank you, but don't go getting heatstroke at my expense, .

You're right, I don't have any experience of being closed-up in a tank in the depths of winter, it sounds like a not very pleasant experience. Though I imagine that it's less of a problem in the more modern tanks...or is that not the case?

Cheers, ,

G
G-man69
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, July 27, 2020 - 12:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Looks great.

Thanks Ryan, how goes your German build, I keep checking but not picked up on any updates, ?

Cheers, ,

G
G-man69
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, July 27, 2020 - 12:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Fantastic G you’ve done a brilliant job already, love all the details like the snowdrift in the bouquet er bucket. About the engine deck, it looks dry when I’d agree heat would’ve melted any ice/snow on it, so maybe it needs some touches/streams of PVA/white glue to suggest water run-off…problem there being it might look like ice instead…hmm. Well anyhoo it was good of Glenn to allow me back to my keyboard long enough to

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the feedback, yes, I agree with you that the engine deck looks too dry. I had given it a coat of satin varnish, as I seem to recall having once read somewhere that gloss varnish is the wrong way to represent wet surfaces, which initially looked okay, but left no real sheen once dry, .

So back to the drawing board on that one, .

Cheers, ,

G
G-man69
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, July 27, 2020 - 01:10 AM UTC
Hi all,

Made a bit of a discovery today, quite by accident, that I'd wished I'd made at the start of this build, .

Decided today to have a go at putting snow on the rooftops. I have been using, over scraps of polystyrene, plaster of paris as my initial snow layer, however, it is very messy.

I had thought of using some white silicone gunned from a tube, this would hopefully give me better control and possibly be cleaner, but, alas, the cupboard was bare, .

However, I found a partially used tube of decorators caulk...so had a go (see images below).

It's easy to work with, a wet brush allows one to shape and blend. It's a relatively quick and, more importantly, cheap way of covering large areas and/or areas where a thick layer of snow is desirable, .

Has anyone else ever tried using this material as a base for snow, or as the finished article?

I'm almost tempted to have a go at another snowy scene using it to see how it works out.

Have also had another attempt at creating a wet looking finish to the engine deck using gloss varnish. This, imho, has left a much better sheen (see images below), .

Cheers, ,

G
Golikell
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Armorama: 914 posts
Posted: Monday, July 27, 2020 - 01:20 AM UTC
What do you say! Are you off for a long weekend to Belgium and G. posts a update, prohibiting me from a timely response!!!

I find the way you manage to integrate the Churchill into the dio really great... I you want to creat a wet area where the snow melted, but didn't dry up yet, I can recommend Wet effects from AK. That really worked well on my Renault...

https://ak-interactive.com/product/wet-effects-fluid/
G-man69
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, July 27, 2020 - 04:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

What do you say! Are you off for a long weekend to Belgium and G. posts a update, prohibiting me from a timely response!!!

I find the way you manage to integrate the Churchill into the dio really great... I you want to creat a wet area where the snow melted, but didn't dry up yet, I can recommend Wet effects from AK. That really worked well on my Renault...

Hi Erwin,

Hope you enjoyed Belgium, did you manage to sample a pint or three of their excellent beers, ?

Thanks for the feedback, if this gloss paint doesn't work I'll check out the AK product you referenced.

How goes your 'Barkin' Karl' build?

Cheers, ,

G
G-man69
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, July 27, 2020 - 04:36 AM UTC
Hi all,

Started to add a bit of detail to the water pump (see images below).

I've made the icicles by stretching clear sprue, but is there an easier way to make them, especially when you want multiple icicles along a row?

Cheers, ,

G
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Monday, July 27, 2020 - 05:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I've made the icicles by stretching clear sprue, but is there an easier way to make them, especially when you want multiple icicles along a row?

This video by John Hoenig of The Scenic Factory comes to mind:
Ardennes ‘44 Diorama Part 2 “Let it Snow” Starts at about 48:40. HTH.

BTW: Your diorama is coming along nicely!❄️

Cheers!🍺
—mike
Tank1812
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 886 posts
Posted: Monday, July 27, 2020 - 01:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Looks great.

Thanks Ryan, how goes your German build, I keep checking but not picked up on any updates, ?

Cheers, ,

G

G,
I have been slack as life has been stealing my time. I live vicariously through the boards. Your fountain looks great.

I have not tried this but it might work for you icicles.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rZRoYVykB_Y
cheyenne
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,185 posts
Armorama: 1,813 posts
Posted: Monday, July 27, 2020 - 09:53 PM UTC
Nice ice G , the whole build looks fantastic , love your tank work !!!
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 28, 2020 - 02:35 AM UTC
Yeah,the roof snow looks the biz. Like multiple layers of the stuff have melted and refrozen at different rates,just like we have around here some winters. Nice!
The fountain,what can I say??? Brilliant!
J
G-man69
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 28, 2020 - 05:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

This video by John Hoenig of The Scenic Factory comes to mind:
Ardennes ‘44 Diorama Part 2 “Let it Snow” Starts at about 48:40. HTH.

BTW: Your diorama is coming along nicely!❄️

Cheers!🍺

—mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the link, that's some amazing work that guy does.

Thank you too for the positive feedback, much appreciated, .

Cheers, ,

G
G-man69
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 28, 2020 - 05:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

G,
I have been slack as life has been stealing my time. I live vicariously through the boards. Your fountain looks great.

Hi Ryan,

By 'boards' I'm presuming you're referring to all the build groups you're committed to?

Thanks for the link and the kind words, your support is always appreciated, .

Cheers, ,

G
G-man69
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 28, 2020 - 05:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice ice G , the whole build looks fantastic , love your tank work !!!

Hi Cheyenne,

Thank you for the positive feedback, coming from such an accomplished modeller it means a lot.

Thanks again, and cheers, ,

G
G-man69
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 28, 2020 - 05:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Yeah,the roof snow looks the biz. Like multiple layers of the stuff have melted and refrozen at different rates,just like we have around here some winters. Nice!
The fountain,what can I say??? Brilliant!
J

Hi Jerry,

Thank you for the kind words, they mean a lot as I include you alongside Cheyenne as an accomplished modeller whose work I admire and enjoy following.

Thanks again, and cheers, ,

G
G-man69
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 28, 2020 - 05:58 AM UTC
Hi all,

Not sure the following images look right, so would appreciate any views folk might wish to express.

I was kindly given some information regarding the length of aerials for WW2 British/Commonwealth tanks. It states that the 'A' set aerial is a maximum of 12' (approx. 105mm in 1/35th if my maths is correct) and that the 'B' set is a whopping 20' (approx. 174mm in 1/35th if my maths is correct).

I have used these dimensions, but on the kit they look way too oversize (see images below).

Is this one of those situations where, even if I have scaled it off correctly, that a bit of artistic license applies and they should be represented shorter?

Any thoughts/suggestions would be greatly appreciated,

Cheers, ,

G
Dioramartin
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,476 posts
Armorama: 1,463 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 28, 2020 - 10:57 AM UTC
Nice ice baby on the tap G & the snow just gets better & better. I think you must have been UNkindly given those aerial dimensions, the best image I could find (in 2 minutes) is this…

…which ain’t ideal but I think you can make a semi-educated guess the left aerial stops just above the top edge of the image, the right appears to stop just short of it. I’d suggest yours are fractionally over-thick too?

(Afterthought – is it possible those measurements you were given referred to the total aerial height from ground level? I just wondered whether those figures were what the driver had to guesstimate if he’d clear going under a bridge or trees without damaging or snagging them - 20 ft sounds about right)
Tank1812
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 886 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 28, 2020 - 11:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

G,

Hi Ryan,

By 'boards' I'm presuming you're referring to all the build groups you're committed to?

Thanks for the link and the kind words, your support is always appreciated, .

Cheers, ,

G

Those, other boards on kitmaker (lots of great builds all over, including yours) and other websites. When not logged in, see latest posts shows other posts over all kitmaker websites.

I do agree the antenna heights looks off though they appear to calculated correctly. Do you any photos showing the antenna height? Might be the case of seeing it wrong by others that it throughs the image off.
Golikell
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Armorama: 914 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 28, 2020 - 07:42 PM UTC
Morning G.

Ofcourse I consumed some Belgian beer while in Brugge,but not too much, since I am not allowed to drink so much due to medication.

My Karl build is on a low fire, due to other activities (not strange in during the summer). I did some weathering and other paint jobs... Nothing special, or spectecular...

I think there is a mix of 'and " here. While the A set could be 8'or 12'(it was constructed of 4' tubes),the B set was 20 or 24". Now that is quite a difference...

https://www.track-link.com/reviews/2080
G-man69
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 28, 2020 - 08:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice ice baby on the tap G & the snow just gets better & better. I think you must have been UNkindly given those aerial dimensions, the best image I could find (in 2 minutes) is this…

…which ain’t ideal but I think you can make a semi-educated guess the left aerial stops just above the top edge of the image, the right appears to stop just short of it. I’d suggest yours are fractionally over-thick too?

(Afterthought – is it possible those measurements you were given referred to the total aerial height from ground level? I just wondered whether those figures were what the driver had to guesstimate if he’d clear going under a bridge or trees without damaging or snagging them - 20 ft sounds about right)

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the kind words, much appreciated, especially as you fall into the Jerry/Cheyenne camp of modellers I would aspire to, .

As for unkindly dimensions, that wasn't the case as you will see in a later post, .

I'll see if I can get hold of some thinner material, it was making use of something I had around in my spares box.

Cheers, ,

G
G-man69
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 28, 2020 - 08:30 PM UTC
[/quote]Those, other boards on kitmaker (lots of great builds all over, including yours) and other websites. When not logged in, see latest posts shows other posts over all kitmaker websites.

I do agree the antenna heights looks off though they appear to calculated correctly. Do you any photos showing the antenna height? Might be the case of seeing it wrong by others that it throughs the image off.[/quote]

Hi Ryan,

I know what you mean about the amazing work throughout the 'Kitmaker' sites, .

Between you and Tim comments regarding the aerial size I went back to the information I was kindly given and realised I'd been a complete smeghead, I should have read what it said, not what I thought it said, .

Cheers, ,

G
G-man69
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 28, 2020 - 08:34 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Morning G.

Ofcourse I consumed some Belgian beer while in Brugge,but not too much, since I am not allowed to drink so much due to medication.

My Karl build is on a low fire, due to other activities (not strange in during the summer). I did some weathering and other paint jobs... Nothing special, or spectecular...

I think there is a mix of 'and " here. While the A set could be 8'or 12'(it was constructed of 4' tubes),the B set was 20 or 24". Now that is quite a difference...

https://www.track-link.com/reviews/2080

Hi Erwin,

Glad you were able to try a few beers, always a nice pastime when visiting places, .

Looking forward to seeing some of your updates on Karl.

You have been bang-on with spotting my, not so little, faux pas, well done, .

Cheers, ,

G
G-man69
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 28, 2020 - 08:46 PM UTC
Hi all,

As you might have already guessed, I have been a complete smeghead when it comes to the aerials, .

Not being happy with the overall look of the aerials I decided to go back and read the information I had kindly been sent. It did state that the 'A' set aerial is a maximum of 12' (approx. 105mm in 1/35th if my maths is correct), however, it is made up in three lengths, and the daytime length was usually 8' (approx. 70mm in 1/35th), so I trimmed the aerial down as I think it looks better shorter.

However, the 'B' set doesn't say that it's a whopping 20', it says 20" (approx. 15mm in 1/35th if my maths is correct), a much more sensible dimension (see image below)...smeghead, or what, .

Well done to Tim and Ryan for helping me rethink, and especially well done to Erwin for spotting my actual mistake, .

Lesson learn't, read what it actually says on the page, not what one thinks it should say, .

Cheers, ,

G