My First Snows of the Year
G-man69
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 944 posts
Armorama: 928 posts
Posted: Friday, June 19, 2020 - 05:53 AM UTC
Hi all,

A question to anyone from the UK who might be watching this build...

...I'm looking to buy my first ever 'Hornet' heads for the crew of the Churchill and am wondering if there is a favoured seller that people use?

Cheers, ,

G
Dioramartin
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,476 posts
Armorama: 1,463 posts
Posted: Friday, June 19, 2020 - 10:04 PM UTC
Ossum work on the facades G, that solidity you had before has only increased. Fenestration time surely, some broken too? The red door…hmm…ah that’s it, how does it open?
G-man69
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, June 20, 2020 - 04:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Ossum work on the facades G, that solidity you had before has only increased. Fenestration time surely, some broken too? The red door…hmm…ah that’s it, how does it open?

Hi Tim,

Hope the move is going/has gone (delete as applicable, ) well?

Thanks for the favourable feedback, as I've said before, it's much appreciated, .

The red door won't actually be workable, it'll just be positioned in an open position as I'm thinking I might show a very small amount of interior as there is room on the 'stone' building.

Cheers, ,

G
G-man69
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, June 20, 2020 - 04:50 AM UTC
Hi all,

I have now filled all the apertures in the façades and blocked in some colour (see images below). It all looks a tad rough, but hopefully it'll improve once I start to tone it all down, .

Cheers, ,

G
Golikell
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Armorama: 914 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 20, 2020 - 09:29 PM UTC
Nice progress, once again. The little splashes of colour really do add to the whole....

I think Tim means the lack of visible hinges, doorknob etc such.
G-man69
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, June 21, 2020 - 04:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice progress, once again. The little splashes of colour really do add to the whole....

I think Tim means the lack of visible hinges, doorknob etc such.

Hi Erwin,

Thanks for the thumbs-up on the colour, I thought red and green might add to the christmas feel, along with the long awaited snows, .

Doh me! and apologies to Tim for getting the wrong end of the stick, . I have found some PE frames left over from the Sherman Firefly that I have never completed, , will make hinges from that.

Cheers, ,

G
G-man69
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, June 21, 2020 - 04:53 AM UTC
Hi all,

Talking of long awaited snows, I decided today to have a break from the façades and, instead, have a play around with trying to represent some snow.

I have used small bits of foam from offcuts of foam-board and layered on top (see images below). What you see is only a rough base layer, I will use my 'Precision Ice and Snow' material as a top layer only as it's quite expensive.

Cheers, ,

G
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 21, 2020 - 04:58 AM UTC
Well,I for one,am thoroughly impressed. I love the way you put the worn civilian cross path at right angles to the road. Nice.
G-man69
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, June 21, 2020 - 05:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Well,I for one,am thoroughly impressed. I love the way you put the worn civilian cross path at right angles to the road. Nice.

Hi Jerry,

Thank you, and I am heeding your advice from an earlier post about trying to get a non-uniform feel to the depths and shape of the build-up of snow, .

Thanks again, and cheers, ,

G
cheyenne
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,185 posts
Armorama: 1,813 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 21, 2020 - 08:34 PM UTC
Nice work G . Snow looks great . I've never done snow before and following this hopefully when I do get around to snow it'll get it done as nice as yours .
Dioramartin
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,476 posts
Armorama: 1,463 posts
Posted: Monday, June 22, 2020 - 12:44 AM UTC
Agree with t’others G, very convincing snow/slush - is that stuff rock hard or could you put a few footsteps or paw prints into it?

Yes I did indeed mean the door(s) had no visible means of entry. Random thought – did they have those blue square tiles with white street numbers on them on the front of village houses or was that only a Paris thing?

(Thanks yes parts 1 & 2 of The Move went perfectly, part 3 later this week includes me driving the Anthro bases at a funereal pace – probably in the dead of night to avoid road-ragers – from old to new home…there are some Pennsylvanian roads round here too. Just wondering what I’ll tell the cops if they stop me…the truth’s fairly suspicious)
cheyenne
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 22, 2020 - 01:56 AM UTC
Cops , ..... just use this , ..... works every time .....

https://youtu.be/mUR14_ry1Zo
G-man69
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 22, 2020 - 05:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice work G . Snow looks great . I've never done snow before and following this hopefully when I do get around to snow it'll get it done as nice as yours .

Hi Cheyenne,

Thank you, your encouragement is much appreciated, .

Cheers, ,

G
G-man69
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 22, 2020 - 05:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Agree with t’others G, very convincing snow/slush - is that stuff rock hard or could you put a few footsteps or paw prints into it?

Yes I did indeed mean the door(s) had no visible means of entry. Random thought – did they have those blue square tiles with white street numbers on them on the front of village houses or was that only a Paris thing?

(Thanks yes parts 1 & 2 of The Move went perfectly, part 3 later this week includes me driving the Anthro bases at a funereal pace – probably in the dead of night to avoid road-ragers – from old to new home…there are some Pennsylvanian roads round here too. Just wondering what I’ll tell the cops if they stop me…the truth’s fairly suspicious)

Hi Tim,

Glad to hear the move goes well, and my wishes will be with you as you move your masterpiece from A-to-B. As for the fuzz, just tell them you're an illicit moonshine runner...think you're less likely to be locked away for that as opposed to their consideration of your mental state if you own up to the amount of time and effort you've expended thus far on your build, .

Thanks for the kind words, I'm not yet sure about numbering of buildings, was thinking of putting some signs on them to add a bit of colour...we'll see, .

good luck, and cheers, ,

G
G-man69
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 22, 2020 - 05:55 AM UTC
Hi all,

Revisiting the snows this morning left me a tad underwhelmed, . I had said at the beginning of this build that I wanted a good snowfall and, alas, that was lacking.

So decided I would like to show it as if there had been an accumulation of snow over a period of time, i.e. piled-up old snow with maybe a fresher fall on top.

My first thoughts were to just keep building up layers, but that would be time consuming, so I ended up breaking up polystyrene packing material to get the small individual balls (see images below).

Then layered a mixture of plaster filler and diluted white glue over the top (see images below). This will eventually be covered with the 'Precision Ice and Snow' material.

Cheers, ,

G
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 22, 2020 - 06:58 AM UTC
works for me!
I am taking notes still. I have always been to chicken to tackle this kind of snow.
J
Golikell
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Armorama: 914 posts
Posted: Monday, June 22, 2020 - 06:54 PM UTC
I see totally nothing wrong here!!!
Specially since I know you will represent the packed snow in the track profile...(wink, wink, nudge, nudge)
G-man69
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, June 24, 2020 - 03:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

works for me!
I am taking notes still. I have always been to chicken to tackle this kind of snow.
J

Hi Jerry,

I suspect you'd do a far better job if you chose to tackle snow, your work never ceases to amaze and impress me.

Cheers, ,

G
G-man69
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, June 24, 2020 - 03:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I see totally nothing wrong here!!!
Specially since I know you will represent the packed snow in the track profile...(wink, wink, nudge, nudge)

Hi Erwin,

...say no more! Once I'm as happy as I can be with the ground snow I'll be revisiting the Churchill and giving it various snowy elements, including the aforementioned tracks, .

Cheers, ,

G
G-man69
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, June 24, 2020 - 04:14 AM UTC
Hi all,

Not been able to spend much time on the build these last few days due to some good weather, .

But I am in the process of adding a few more 'deep' piles of older snow (see images below)...mainly at the polystyrene balls and white glue stage, .

I wanted to build up against the façade walls, but without fixing them in place at this stage as there is still some work to be done on them which, I suspect, will be easier if they're still separate. So I'm trying to add the polystyrene balls and white glue against the walls, but with a clingfilm separation between the two elements...not sure if this will work, but should find out tomorrow when the glue has hopefully dried, .

Cheers, ,

G
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, June 25, 2020 - 01:20 AM UTC
Yep,still taking notes here.
J
cheyenne
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, June 25, 2020 - 10:22 PM UTC
Excellent work G , very convincing snow !!
Tank1812
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 886 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 25, 2020 - 11:19 PM UTC
Looks great!
G-man69
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, June 26, 2020 - 05:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Yep,still taking notes here.
J

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for sticking with me on this build, .

Cheers, ,

G
G-man69
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, June 26, 2020 - 05:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Excellent work G , very convincing snow !!

Hi Cheyenne,

Thank you for the positive feedback, much appreciated, .

Cheers, ,

G