Hosted by Darren Baker
My First Snows of the Year
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 13, 2020 - 01:45 AM UTC
Lookin' great. Very nice tones on the stonework.
J
G-man69
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 944 posts
Armorama: 928 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 13, 2020 - 04:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Lookin' great. Very nice tones on the stonework.
J

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for the feedback but, alas, I can't take the credit for the tonal appearance, it's the natural colour of the various different card types and paper I've been using, plus whether it's wet or dry, .

Cheers, ,

G
G-man69
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, June 13, 2020 - 05:02 AM UTC
Hi all,

Paper and glue covering of the 'stonework' on the second building façade finished and primed (see images below).

Cheers, ,

G
G-man69
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, June 13, 2020 - 05:07 AM UTC
Hi all,

Started to block-out some colours on the second building façade (see images below).

It's a tad rough and ready, and the colours need blending and toning down, but it allows me to see where I need to redefine the 'stonework'...but it's progress, .

Cheers, ,

G
G-man69
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, June 14, 2020 - 03:06 AM UTC
Hi all,

Managed to start toning down and blending my stonework (see images below).

Because it's going to be a snowy setting I decided I wanted to 'grey-down' the 'stonework', 1) to contrast more against the snow, and 2) to give it that dull wintery feel...hopefully it'll work, .

Still needs to be weathered down and have doors, windows, partial roof and odds and sods adding.

Cheers, ,

G
Tank1812
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 886 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 14, 2020 - 05:39 AM UTC
The first building was good but this stone building looks great G.
Golikell
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Armorama: 914 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 14, 2020 - 06:56 PM UTC
You're making nice progres... More than I have last week

The masonry looks damn fine to me... What will be the colour on the other building?
G-man69
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, June 16, 2020 - 04:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Ryan,

Thank you for the positive feedback, . Your wording of 'good' for the first building façade vs great for the second one helped me make my mind up as I was umming and arring over the look of the first one...so I went back to the drawing board, .

How goes your Bundeswehr 2020 build?, it was looking good last time you posted.

Thanks again, and cheers, ,

G
G-man69
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, June 16, 2020 - 05:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The masonry looks damn fine to me... What will be the colour on the other building?

Hi Erwin,

What was it you called me the other week?...lazy something as I recall, ...pull your finger out man, and get working again on your impressive 'Barkin' Karl' build, ...amazing how the loss of your feather duster (plumeau) has impacted on your building speed, .

Thanks for the positive feedback, as to colour of the first building façade, there won't be a colour as I've decided to bin it and start afresh, .

Cheers, ,

G
G-man69
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, June 16, 2020 - 05:22 AM UTC
Hi all,

As touched upon in the previous two posts, I have decided to scrap the original first building façade, it looked completely wrong, too chunky, oversized, and...basically crap (see image below), .

So today I have mostly been...creating a replacement first building façade (see images below), .

I still need to cover it with glue-soaked paper, but hopefully it'll turn out a tad better that the original, .

A question to anyone watching this build...in Northern Europe, do doors and casement windows, especially in older buildings, tend to open inwards or outwards?

Cheers, ,

G
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 16, 2020 - 05:30 AM UTC
Personally I think it is a huge improvement. Pretty sure doors and windows open inward.
J
Golikell
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, June 16, 2020 - 06:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hi Erwin,

What was it you called me the other week?...lazy something as I recall, ...pull your finger out man, and get working again on your impressive 'Barkin' Karl' build, ...amazing how the loss of your feather duster (plumeau) has impacted on your building speed, .

Thanks for the positive feedback, as to colour of the first building façade, there won't be a colour as I've decided to bin it and start afresh, .

Cheers, ,

G

Well, you got me there. But, but... My excuse for not having build is devided between the fact that I don't want to sit inside with the beautiful weather, spending time with my family and learning for a Microsoft exam.

Okay, I didn't see that coming... But the new façade indeed looks better. What colour are you going to give this one then?

Doors indeed open inwards. Windows on the lower floor usually couldn't open at all and on the first floor there is no set rule. If there are shutters, then they always open inwards, however. This way they can ventilate with the shutters closed.
Tank1812
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 886 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 16, 2020 - 07:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hi Ryan,

Thank you for the positive feedback, . Your wording of 'good' for the first building façade vs great for the second one helped me make my mind up as I was umming and arring over the look of the first one...so I went back to the drawing board, .

How goes your Bundeswehr 2020 build?, it was looking good last time you posted.

Thanks again, and cheers, ,

G

Wow, building 1 looks great. I think you just wanted to cut more bricks.
Look forward to your next update.

Nothing has happened with the Man build. I did get in the color Torsten recommend, so I need to get chopping on that project again.
JGphins
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 249 posts
Armorama: 249 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 16, 2020 - 08:12 AM UTC
Hello G, I haven't had the opportunity till now to see your post so I just wanted to share my thoughts and drop a comment.

Great job brother, I really enjoyed going through all of the photos from start to current. I like the progress on the various phases to achieved the current stone work. Thanks for sharing, enjoy & be safe!

JGphins
G-man69
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, June 17, 2020 - 04:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Personally I think it is a huge improvement. Pretty sure doors and windows open inward.
J

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for the supportive comment and feedback regarding door and window direction, .

Cheers, ,

G
G-man69
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, June 17, 2020 - 04:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Well, you got me there. But, but... My excuse for not having build is devided between the fact that I don't want to sit inside with the beautiful weather, spending time with my family and learning for a Microsoft exam.

Okay, I didn't see that coming... But the new façade indeed looks better. What colour are you going to give this one then?

Doors indeed open inwards. Windows on the lower floor usually couldn't open at all and on the first floor there is no set rule. If there are shutters, then they always open inwards, however. This way they can ventilate with the shutters closed.

Hi Erwin,

Our weather isn't so beautiful, hence me actually getting some build time, ...good luck for the exam.

Glad I was able to surprise you regarding the replacement façade...it's good to see that us lazy b's can still catch you prolific builders out every now-and-then, .

Thanks for the positive feedback re: looking better, but as to the colour, I'm not sure, was thinking a light greyish colour...but always open to suggestions, .

Feedback on doors and windows is very useful, thank you.

Cheers, ,

G
G-man69
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, June 17, 2020 - 05:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Wow, building 1 looks great. I think you just wanted to cut more bricks.
Look forward to your next update.

Nothing has happened with the Man build. I did get in the color Torsten recommend, so I need to get chopping on that project again.

Hi Ryan,

Thank you for giving the replacement façade the thumbs-up, .

You've got me there on the brick cutting, the new toy works a treat, saves so much time, .

I'll keep checking-out Bundeswehr 2020, so chop-chop, .

Cheers, ,

G
G-man69
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, June 17, 2020 - 05:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello G, I haven't had the opportunity till now to see your post so I just wanted to share my thoughts and drop a comment.

Great job brother, I really enjoyed going through all of the photos from start to current. I like the progress on the various phases to achieved the current stone work. Thanks for sharing, enjoy & be safe!

JGphins

Hi Joaquin,

Thank you for taking the time to check out the build, and for making the effort to respond, especially in such a positive manner...it's much appreciated, .

You be safe too, thanks again, and cheers, ,

G
G-man69
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, June 17, 2020 - 05:13 AM UTC
Hi all,

Today I managed to get the replacement façade covered with paper and glue, and primed (see images below).

The primer has highlighted some of the seams where paper abuts/overlaps, , so I will need to make those less apparent before painting begins.

Cheers, ,

G
Golikell
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, June 17, 2020 - 09:02 PM UTC
Well, I did do something: adding the much dreaded PE parts, having a great argument with the tile monster and smear on some more primer...

As for the colors: plaster work could be quite eleborate :

For this one, you could go anywhere from light gry with darker gray window sills, through off white, to a dark pink. The following streetview image is in Bastogne (I imgagine the setting is in the Ardennes, where the Brits where in the Northern area) :

https://www.google.be/maps/@50.0032366,5.718484,3a,75y,98.29h,87.94t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sAF1QipP_j9BOSSMn83ZTv8gf5LrZO1hd-36267uSoAWu!2e10!7i13312!8i6656
cheyenne
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,185 posts
Armorama: 1,813 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 17, 2020 - 10:11 PM UTC
Nice work on the buildings G , looks great !!
G-man69
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, June 18, 2020 - 03:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Well, I did do something: adding the much dreaded PE parts, having a great argument with the tile monster and smear on some more primer...

As for the colors: plaster work could be quite eleborate :

For this one, you could go anywhere from light gry with darker gray window sills, through off white, to a dark pink. The following streetview image is in Bastogne (I imgagine the setting is in the Ardennes, where the Brits where in the Northern area

Hi Erwin,

Like you, I dread any kit that has PE included, it never existed in kits back when I was last modelling...them were the good ol' days, .

Thanks for the image, that indeed is some seriously ornate work...they can't afford it in my Churchill village...thankfully, .

Cheers, ,

G
G-man69
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, June 18, 2020 - 03:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice work on the buildings G , looks great !!

Hi Cheyenne,

Thanks for your continued support and encouragement, . Not a patch on your work, but your glasshouse gives us all the impetus to strive that little bit harder, .

Cheers, ,

G
G-man69
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, June 18, 2020 - 04:04 AM UTC
Hi all,

Another wet day here in ol' blighty, so a tad more build-time, .

I've managed to block-out some colours on the replacement building façade (see images below).

Again, I want to try and achieve a sort of dowdy feel to the building, such as you tend to get in winter, so am going for dullish greys in the main.

I appreciate it's a tad rough, but hopefully it'll look better once it's blended and toned down, .

Cheers, ,

G
G-man69
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, June 19, 2020 - 05:48 AM UTC
Hi all,

Managed to cobble together a couple of doors and some cardboard boarding to the shopfront window (see images below).

The 'green' door is cardboard, the 'red' one is plastic strip as it will be positioned open.

Cheers, ,

G