Hosted by Darren Baker
My First Snows of the Year
Golikell
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Armorama: 914 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 09, 2020 - 10:06 PM UTC
Well, I've been around, but not much modelling done. Busy with peripheral matters. Some basic construction, some bits and bobs of weathering...

I don't know which paint you use, but Vallejo has got glazing medium. Personally I find this better than just thinning with water, as this tends to separate the paint, while the medium doesn't..
cheyenne
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,185 posts
Armorama: 1,813 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 09, 2020 - 10:13 PM UTC
Nice figure work G , looking good so far !!
Dioramartin
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,476 posts
Armorama: 1,463 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 09, 2020 - 11:14 PM UTC
Great line up G, I too wondered how you did that netting & not being an afficionado about the helmets themselves – reminds me of airborne, were they special issue for tank crew?
G-man69
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 944 posts
Armorama: 928 posts
Posted: Monday, August 10, 2020 - 02:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Brilliant fig. Fits the part to a T.
Did you put the web on his helmet yourself ? If so,what was used.?
Glazing is a painting method where you add successive thin layers of color in order to build up the shading. It also helps to preserve surface detail from being obscured by too much paint.
J

Hi Jerry,

Wish I could take the credit for the helmet, but I can't, all the credit goes to the Hornet sculptor, .

Thanks for the explanation on 'glazing', much appreciated.

Cheers, ,

G
G-man69
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, August 10, 2020 - 02:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Well, I've been around, but not much modelling done. Busy with peripheral matters. Some basic construction, some bits and bobs of weathering...

I don't know which paint you use, but Vallejo has got glazing medium. Personally I find this better than just thinning with water, as this tends to separate the paint, while the medium doesn't..

Hi Erwin,

Well I'm looking forward to some Karl updates soon, .

I will look up 'glazing' medium, I have some Vallejo and some AK paints, not a huge range at the moment, but i'm sure it'll expand with time...a bit like me, .

Cheers, ,

G
G-man69
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, August 10, 2020 - 02:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice figure work G , looking good so far !!

Hi Cheyenne,

Thanks for the kind feedback, .

Cheers, ,

G
G-man69
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, August 10, 2020 - 02:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Great line up G, I too wondered how you did that netting & not being an afficionado about the helmets themselves – reminds me of airborne, were they special issue for tank crew?

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the positive feedback, .

As for the head(s)/helmets, they are listed by Hornet as being for AFV/Airborne (see images below}, so presumably suitable as being issued to tank crews, .

Cheers, ,

G
G-man69
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, August 23, 2020 - 10:11 PM UTC
Hi all,

Thought it was about time I proved to Tim that I haven't given up on this build because of my figure painting phobia, ...yet, .

Below are some images of the five crew figures, at various stages of building/painting, needed to complete the scenario, only the tank commander (the last two images) is more-or-less done, .

Below is my attempt at modelling half a pixie suit from no pixie suit, ...definitely no Mr Rutman here, .

My first attempt at sculpting large areas of clothing, hopefully it'll look better when painted.

With milliput hood.

All feedback, positive or negative, welcome.

Cheers, ,

G
BootsDMS
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 978 posts
Armorama: 965 posts
Posted: Monday, August 24, 2020 - 12:53 AM UTC
Hi Gareth,

All looking suitably dynamic and purposeful - I'm sure they will augment the vehicle just fine. A couple of points:

a. The Hornet Heads. The ones with the rimless helmet consist of 2 types suitable for Airborne and RAC - the helmet harness for the Airborne consists of an extra strap and a chin cup, and these therefore are no good for the RAC, who had a simple chinstrap. I note you're using one of the Airborne ones (chap holding mug with mouth open) but cannot quite see if the chin cup has been removed; if not, it should be.

b. '37 Pat belt. This really requires 2 x buckles at the rear. That said it is possible (just) that he crews have removed them in order not to foul anything should they be injured and be required to be dragged from a tank. I recall that in Junior Leaders we procured a second belt, removed the rear buckles and used it as a "Going on leave" piece of kit - those were the days when we had to travel in best uniform - however I suspect that in the Second World War unauthorised mods to issued kit may well have been frowned on. Anyway, simple enough to rectify - small tabs of card and etch buckles should do it. The buckles are angled so check your references - a simple Google of "37 Pat Web belt" should suffice.

c. Sten Gun sling. I'm afraid this looks a tad thick and perhaps you could replace it/slim it down a bit.

Otherwise I think you're pretty much there; they should look great when installed on your diorama.

Keep at it!

Brian
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Monday, August 24, 2020 - 04:00 AM UTC
I totally agree with Brian! Keep at it man. If this is your first go-round you are already lookin' great! The best way ti improve is just keep doin' it!
All the figs are plausible in pose and have the right expressions,etc. Brian knows more about the Commonwealth kit by far so I will leave that to him.
I read about the Pixie suits and what impressed me was the earlier versions had a web harness sewn into the inside with a "pull handle" at the back of the collar opening. This helped grab a wounded tanker and yank him from a small hatch. The webbing went down and around the legs and crotch. I am pretty sure no other country thought of this for their tankers. Very thoughtful touch.
J
G-man69
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, August 24, 2020 - 05:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Gareth,

All looking suitably dynamic and purposeful - I'm sure they will augment the vehicle just fine. A couple of points:

a. The Hornet Heads. The ones with the rimless helmet consist of 2 types suitable for Airborne and RAC - the helmet harness for the Airborne consists of an extra strap and a chin cup, and these therefore are no good for the RAC, who had a simple chinstrap. I note you're using one of the Airborne ones (chap holding mug with mouth open) but cannot quite see if the chin cup has been removed; if not, it should be.

b. '37 Pat belt. This really requires 2 x buckles at the rear. That said it is possible (just) that he crews have removed them in order not to foul anything should they be injured and be required to be dragged from a tank. I recall that in Junior Leaders we procured a second belt, removed the rear buckles and used it as a "Going on leave" piece of kit - those were the days when we had to travel in best uniform - however I suspect that in the Second World War unauthorised mods to issued kit may well have been frowned on. Anyway, simple enough to rectify - small tabs of card and etch buckles should do it. The buckles are angled so check your references - a simple Google of "37 Pat Web belt" should suffice.

c. Sten Gun sling. I'm afraid this looks a tad thick and perhaps you could replace it/slim it down a bit.

Otherwise I think you're pretty much there; they should look great when installed on your diorama.

Keep at it!

Brian

Hi Brian,

Good to hear from you, and thank you for the feedback, it's much appreciated, . I always learn something of value to take forward from your extensive knowledge of British/Commonwealth kit, thank you, .

I will 'google' some images of the webbing to see what I can do to correct things, though the bits you refer to weren't molded on the figures...least I don't think I've accidently removed them, .

As for the helmet, I haven't removed the chin cup, and I think I might do more damage now trying to...think this is one mistake I have to put down to inexperience and learn my lesson from it, .

Think the same goes for the width of the sten gun strap, it's paper soaked in thin superglue, so would be too brittle to trim...but I'll try to cut narrower strips next time, .

Thanks again, and cheers, ,

G
BootsDMS
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 978 posts
Armorama: 965 posts
Posted: Monday, August 24, 2020 - 05:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I totally agree with Brian! Keep at it man. If this is your first go-round you are already lookin' great! The best way ti improve is just keep doin' it!
All the figs are plausible in pose and have the right expressions,etc. Brian knows more about the Commonwealth kit by far so I will leave that to him.
I read about the Pixie suits and what impressed me was the earlier versions had a web harness sewn into the inside with a "pull handle" at the back of the collar opening. This helped grab a wounded tanker and yank him from a small hatch. The webbing went down and around the legs and crotch. I am pretty sure no other country thought of this for their tankers. Very thoughtful touch.
J

Jerry, you're too kind. I believe modern British Army tank suits also have a reinforcing feature to facilitate extraction when/if wounded (and also a zipped panel to enable ahem, bowel movements).

The idea of the full length zips on the Pixie suit was apparently to enable the suit to be converted into an ad hoc sleeping bag.

More recently I recall during the 70s being shown by a Bundeswehr soldier how his issued sleeping bag could convert into a parka. Sometimes the designers seem to get it right.

Brian
G-man69
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, August 24, 2020 - 05:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

J

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for your continued support, especially regarding the figures, it means a great deal as I always admire your style and ability to animate figures in realistic poses, .

I didn't know that about the 'bailout' straps but, as mentioned to Brian, I will do a tad more research on the pixie suit, so will see what else I discover, .

Thanks again, and cheers, ,

G
G-man69
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, August 28, 2020 - 03:12 AM UTC
Hi all,

The end is nigh, today I added the trim to hide the messy edges and started playing around with the location of the tank and some figures (see images below).

However, I've realised that the most critical figure, the guy who will be wrapping sheets around the gun barrel, is far from finished, and it will be he who dictates the best position for the tank which, in turn, will then dictate the other figure positions.

I'm hoping that by this time next week I'll be able to call time on this build, .

The guy acting as sentry still needs some work on the face, hands and helmet.

Cheers, ,

G
Golikell
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, August 28, 2020 - 04:04 AM UTC
Things fall together nicely... Do not forget to add a name plate...

For not too expensive and good service, I can reccomend Name It in the UK..
http://nameitplates.co.uk/

This is one they made:
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 30, 2020 - 01:43 AM UTC
Very very nice. You have managed to create color interest in what could very easily be a monochromatic scene with the snow. Well done! Figs are coming along brilliantly IMHO.
J
cheyenne
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,185 posts
Armorama: 1,813 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 30, 2020 - 10:33 PM UTC
Very , very cool G , excellent build !!
Dioramartin
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,476 posts
Armorama: 1,463 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 30, 2020 - 10:38 PM UTC
Wow G I'll hold off until you say it's done, meanwhile all I can say is you'll have to try very, very hard to screw this up now
PolishBrigade12
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 380 posts
Armorama: 366 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 01, 2020 - 07:40 AM UTC
Excellent scene, love it! You nailed the slop very well, Ruck Over Bby!
G-man69
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, September 02, 2020 - 02:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Things fall together nicely... Do not forget to add a name plate...

For not too expensive and good service, I can reccomend Name It in the UK..

This is one they made:

Hi Erwin,

Thanks for the feedback and the link, they're both much appreciated.

I'd forgotten how good your big gun and supply truck look, and I agree that the name plate sets them off a treat, .

Hope to see some more 'Barkin' soon, .

Cheers, ,

G
G-man69
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, September 02, 2020 - 02:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Very very nice. You have managed to create color interest in what could very easily be a monochromatic scene with the snow. Well done! Figs are coming along brilliantly IMHO.
J

Hi Jerry,

I really do appreciate your continued support, and the help you've given me thus far on figure work and painting, .

Cheers, ,

G
G-man69
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, September 02, 2020 - 02:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Very , very cool G , excellent build !!

Hi Cheyenne,

Thank you for the kind feedback, it means a lot when it comes from folk whose work I admire and aspire to, .

Cheers, ,

G
G-man69
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, September 02, 2020 - 02:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Wow G I'll hold off until you say it's done, meanwhile all I can say is you'll have to try very, very hard to screw this up now

Hi Tim,

Is that a challenge, .

I will look forward to your final opinion. Hopefully it won't be too long before I'm done, but the advancement on painting the figures, whilst it moves forward, is generally so small I'm loathe to waste people's time posting images, .

Cheers, ,

G
G-man69
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, September 02, 2020 - 02:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Excellent scene, love it! You nailed the slop very well, Ruck Over Bby!

Hi Ski,

Thanks for the supportive feedback, it's greatly received, .

Cheers, ,

G
Golikell
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, September 04, 2020 - 05:40 AM UTC
Thanks once more for the compliment...

Just did a minor update on Karl, on your special request...
 _GOTOTOP